Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bathurst 12 Hour Race 2017 & 2018

Default Bathurst 12 Hour Race 2017 & 2018

I quite enjoyed the trip to the 12 Hour race this year. Highlights included camping in the pit area and spending some time looking at the cars. There was a strong international contingent this year, including the winner, Toni Vilander (who teamed with 2 Aussies). I met Toni whilst taking a look at his car as he was doing some work on it.

It wasn't all Ferraris, McLaren, Bentley, Lamborghini, Audi, etc. Hell... there was even this

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Default Re: Bathurst 12 Hour Race 2017

Inverloch was full of very expensive iron last weekend, nothing as cheap as a Porsche as far as I could see.

Bathurst is across the Blue Mountains, 200 km west of Sydney. I took the truck, as I was carrying camping and cooking gear for myself and others. The drive up is always pleasant... although I did get alco-tested on the way back today.

Here's the Blue Mountains....

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Ian next time you're in Bathurst you might think about heading north for a while before going east again- the road is sealed now through Turondale, Hill End, Hargraves and through to Mudgee. Beaut ride on a road bike too. When I was a young bloke the tar ended six miles from Mudgee. Then east and it's only 80 minutes or less to Lithgow.
    I finished my chores and sat down to watch the last forty minutes or so of the race- and then the 'phone rang. My ex boss. I got a blow by blow account of his plumbing woes- blocked toilets, broken pipes, pumping out septic tanks- and in the next room I could hear tyres squealing, pit crews cheering- I missed it.
    And listening to the build up to the race and the broadcast itself, I must have heard a hundred people say Bathurst, and only one of them got it right. It's pronounced Bathist for Gods sake. Not bloody Bath Hurst! JayInOz

Jay, I did come back a different way... via Tarana and a quick look at Lake Lyell. We went up on Thursday, threw the tent up and headed over to Orange for an early morning... well, 9.30 am, meeting and a few other things whilst in town. Accom. in Orange was at Duntryleague, a beautiful old mansion, built in 1876.

There's some lovely timber in the building, but the finish on it is shot....

Back to Bathurst on late Friday. My tent is on the right here - and there's still plenty of empty sites at this stage

We spent some time in the pits on Saturday, including access to some "closed" areas

Here we are getting a run-through of the Aston Martin. That carbonfibre box just right of centre at bottom, is a canister for the dry sump lubrication system. It's simply a couple of seconds to change the oil. One pin... lift the canister out, drop in a new one

Race day, Sunday, is an early start. We had a shade canopy over at the Chase, a chicane put in some decades back after some nasty accidents at the end of Conrod Straight. A mate of mine got flung over the handlebars of his motorbike back in the pre-chicane era... just after going through the radar trap at 137 mph here.

It's a 5.45 am start... and there's no circuit lighting. These guys are doing 275 kph as they come over the hump that is on the right of this photo

Watching the racing and the sunrise was great

The glowing brake disks in the darkness are great. This Bentley is a photo taken about half an hour after sunrise

These guys finished 1 - 2 Ferrari from the Porsche.

Thanks.

Peace,
    Robert

Glowing brakes are pretty rad.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Glowing brakes are pretty rad.
    If I'm not mistaken, they've moved the start to an earlier time than when I was there a couple of years back... and you get more of that.... it's visible for the first 90 minutes or so. The aero on these cars limits the outright speed - I spoke to a guy who borrowed some AMG Mercedes - a dozen of them - and ran some lucky passengers around the track. He said it was interesting watching their faces at IIRC he said 270kph on Conrod Straight. So, the race cars don't go much faster than the road going versions in outright speed... but they are much lighter and they certainly brake and go around corners much better.

The pole position lap was done at an average speed of 182 kph. The track is over 6 km long and has about a 140 metre climb / drop.... with some damn tight corners. At The Dipper, the road literally falls away from under you. It's scary at 60 kph.... let alone at race speeds. Btw... this track is a public road normally.... and I've driven it many times over the years.

Here's a few more shots from early in the race

The BMW M6 - they showed early promise but struck problems... mostly concrete walls

The Nissan GTRs weren't near the top but this Porsche was. He finished 3rd or 4th IIRC. I'll check the order later

Another BMW M6, passing a somewhat mangled Porsche limping back to the pits

The winning car again. The rear wing is a bit like towing a parachute

If I'm not mistaken, this is a McLaren that failed to stop at the end of the straight. He wasn't the only one to do it.... and some buried themselves into the sand. Other cars in this shot are an Audi R8 and a Dodge Viper

This is a 1924 boattail Sunbeam, bodied in Australia, that was driven up from Sydney.

The Aston Martin team that a mate was working for struck bad luck. One of their cars is headed back to England... a $300,000 write off. It will be stripped for parts.

A panorama of The Chase for context. Cars are doing 275 kph (170 mph) as they enter frame here, turning to their right... and then braking in that curve before a 90 degree left hand corner. A mate supposedly came into there at 170 kph in an X5 and didn't make the corner a few years back.

This is the scene looking at the crest of that hump.... pretty much the end of Conrod Straight

Looking back up the hill... that's Skyline, the top side of the track, 174 metres higher above sea level. I've watched touring car races from up there, but only went up the day after the race this year.

The Emperor For Life Hereby Declares This Thread Exceptional.

Any chance you got any more close ups on the mechanical bits on some cars, too? Or just close shots of more cars?

The action shots and track info are great.

Cheers, mate. I'll shout you one! (Right? Is that right? Forgive my pretend slang)

Peace,
    Emperor For Life pt. 2 The Legend Continues

The start of the braking zone at The Chase. This is fairly tight.... with the BMW having a go at the Porsche

The flag marshalls, just before the chicane. The drivers are getting off the brakes by here and the cooling is pretty good. The red glow dissipates rapidly

... and in the chicane

The sand trap works well. This Porsche threw a tyre and went into the trap to stop. That brought out both the safety car and a tractor to tow him out. Once out, he drove back to the pits on the wheel rim and was immediately back in the race

Thanks Rob. Sure, I'll dig out some more shots of the mechanicals a bit later on. In the meantime, how about some more of the old timers? Sorry 'bout the crappy phone pic, but this is that Sunbeam boattail again. I didn't even know it was there until the morning after the race when the camp trailers and tents started to thin out

We had a good chat with the owner. He was getting ready to set off for Sydney, which was sweltering in a 42C day, 108F.

Another view or two of that Frazer Nash that I opened the thread with

Oh, OK... three views of it

Thank you!
    The best thing, hands down, about my time spent here is my exposure to these cool, old cars. They just appeal to my senses. They seem so visceral a driving experience.

Peace,
    Robert

Just for you, Rob. The last of the Edwardian cars.... and according to wiki, this car has been decreed as the first and perhaps best British sports car. The Vauxhall 30-98

... and one more of the Frazer Nash

One more of the Sunbeam... with an E Type Jag in the background. We drove in behind the Jag on the Thursday

The Jag (which is left hand drive - so almost certainly came here from the US) and the Vauxhall

Oh. That radiator/hood area on the Vauxhall is incredible. What a sweet looking machine.

Thank you, again. Great pictures.

I can understand why you went. What fun.

Peace,
    Robert

It was good fun. I'd originally planned to go on the bike, but the business trip part ruled that out. I saw a few people there with scooters and postie bikes. I think I need to do that, as there's too much uneven terrain walking involved for my dodgy metal leg. Next year, I reckon I'll take a bike. Maybe even the '38 Norton.

I do really love the dawn racing .... this phone pic captures why...

Of course, watching a Bentley mowing the grass adds to the excitement too....

There was a bit of fun and games at the end of the race. A Kiwi driver, who drives in the Australian V8 Supercars series, was driving one of the international AMG Mercedes entries. They were in second place, behind the Ferrari. Right behind it, after a safety car session.... He "went for it" coming onto the straight, and lost it... head on into the wall. Maro Engel, the main international driver in the team was livid... said some pretty damning things in a tv interview.

The car came down the straight, dead stick.... and then stopped in the middle of the chicane. Not the smartest move ever made by Shane van Gisbergen

It's on here... sorry for the ads though

http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsp...bc4043c30af0f2

Here's some shots from the pits.... speaking of broken cars

Not too bad, you say? Look harder

Team briefing in the BMW pits

Anyone for a LaFerrari? It's the hybrid from Ferrari. Very tasty

A mate of mine trying out a Lamborghini

Taking a look at the eventual winner, before the pole position shoot-out on Saturday

Rear brakes on one of the cars. Sorry... bit blurry, but may be of interest

Front brakes on the Aston Martin

This is the KTM Crossbow in the pit lane. It was good to see it competing. It finished fifth in class, was running as high as second in class IIRC

Another view of pit lane. During practice... I couldn't have access during the race

The KTM Crossbow again, on the right, with one of the Bentleys

Getting crowded

There were other races besides the 12 Hour. Held on Friday and Saturday, between practice sessions. The track was also used for a Porsche event on Monday. Here's something I haven't seen before. It's a BMW with the fuel injection replaced with triple Webers

AMG

This thread keeps getting better.

Peace,
    Robert

Ha! Used to be a time when there would normally be a puddle of oil under British iron left parked up, but i see Bently has gone one better by dropping fixings.......

I had a religious experience with Brembos on a 996......been a believer since then.

.... and, it's that time of the year again.

The girlfriend, a mate and I are heading up on Saturday. We'll miss some of the qualifying and pits action, but that's OK.

We've forked out for some less than salubrious digs and really forked out instead for some 'spensive tickets for race day. We're staying overnight again after the race, 'cause the tickets include an excess of champagne.

I expect to do a bit less photography this year... but I'm sure there'll be a shot or two.

I haven't quite worked up the courage to tell SWMBO that her favourite, World Endurance Champion ('14) and two time class winner at Le Mans, Toni Vilander, who won last year, isn't back this year. They got on quite well last year.

Pole setter today... 2.01 seconds

Chas Mostert driving. This is him on the left of pic...

The bloke we want to win is this one... Steven Richards... in another BMW M6. Unfortunately, excluded from the pole shootout due to a post-qualifying issue.

Oh dear... too much Chandon... and shiraz and Heineken and the like.... but it doesn't happen often.

The racing was interesting, but more prangs than usual this year and our guys got taken out.

Here's a couple of random shots.

Thanks for this thread Ian, Well done as usual.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Thanks Lew. Still a lot of photos for me to sort out. We had a slightly seedy start to the day... and a slow trip home via some back roads... although we did have a fit for service driver.

Here's a shot from the pre-race. This is one of the Lamborghini teams. The bearded guy (my my, no grey hairs... and he's older than me. Just don't know how he manages it....) in the blue shirt is John Bowe, multiple Australian Champion and a dual winner at Bathurst. Their car here had just blown it's engine. Time to talk strategy

What to do? Apparently, they sold it... and pulled their spare car out of the truck

We had a bit of a chat to the Bentley boys.... bit of a stuffy lot at first, but the princess managed to get them to smile. This is Vincent Abril, their 22 year old French driver. In 2013, Vincent became the youngest driver in history to win in the Championnat de France FFSA GT series.

His car was out just before the 4 hour mark, but when I chatted to him after the race, he said he'd enjoyed his time here.

The current Australian Touring Car Champion, Jamie Whincup was enjoying himself too - and came in second in the race

That's his car on the left

In action during the race here

It was time for tyres. Tyres and fuel need to be done sequentially here... no tyre changes whilst fueling

And off we go

Speaking of tyres... this guy reminded me of the Michelin Man

... and more tyres

The brakes in this race take a real pounding....

but are well looked after

This isn't the best of shots, but Ash Samadi, driving the Audi R8 in front here, crashed right in front of us. We'd walked down to Hell Corner, so someone who shall remain nameless could have a gasper... and I hadn't bothered to take either my camera or video camera. I video taped the lap before he crashed, the first lap after a safety car, with my phone... but then put it away. He hit the wall hard, about 50 metres from us... was airborne and on his side... lost the front right wheel, which went through the following cars, across the track... but missed them all.

Default Re: Bathurst 12 Hour Race 2017 & 2018

The historics were fun to watch, albeit with many of the pushrod engines being a bit slow....

There's an Aussie connection here. The 5766cc pushrod engines in the DeTomasa Panterra was Australian built - the same engine that was used in the then fastest four door saloon on the planet (or so they say), the Phase 3 Falcon GTHO.

We had a good chat to the driver. His best lap of the 6.2 kilometre Mount Panorama circuit was a 2:47.2864 - a fair way down from the best of the Group 3 endurance racers, at 2:01. BTW - Jenson Button did an unofficial lap of 1:48 in a 2008 McLaren F1 car a few years back.

Ross was chuffed with his drive. He'd started at the back of the grid and passed 38 cars to come in 15th in the Pantera. Of course, that race was won by a car without pushrods... and of just over half the engine capacity of the cast iron historic. A Posche from the same era, with a 2960cc engine.

Sticking with pushrods though, this Chevvie did a best lap of 3.04

This Lancia Fulvia Z was a baby-engined thing of 1584cc and pulled a best time of 3.07.

This Triumph TR3A was quicker, at 3:03... but was a DNF and came home on the back of a truck

Ian Ross pulled a best of 2:51 and came home 22nd in the Shelby 350GT

I was interested in this, as I've fiddled around with a bit of carbon and had been toying with the idea of making some panels for my M5 for a while. It was thicker than I'd expected... about 3 to 4 mm thick

Speaking of carbon.... there's some wood in these pieces too. The orange splitter is from Craig Lowndes car - he was one of the winning Ferrari drivers last year. His McLaren was out after about five hours though, this year. There's a lot of dollars in one of these.... The blue car, another McLaren, came in 11th

I tried getting into one of the AMG race cars. Nope. Not happening

The pocket rocket had no such problems.

She was fickle though... straight off to talk to Audi about their cars

But the Mercedes crew dragged her back to the camp

A close up of the escape hatch in the roof of a Porsche. These guys came in 6th

17th, DNF and 30th for these three cars - seen here after final qualifying.