Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Campion Apple

Default Re: Campion Apple

If you have specific measurements for the halyard attachment points, I'm sure you already have better guidance than I can offer--every rig is a little different that way, anyway.

I've never felt the need for a vang--a balance lug is self-vanging to some degree anyway--but no one has ever accused me of being a performance-oriented sailor!

Good luck getting it on the water--I'm looking forward to seeing some action photos.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

It's been a while since my last update, but I've still been plugging along but at a much slower pace once I came to terms with the fact that I wouldn't be launching in 2017. It was actually a bit of a relief; I had been working almost non-stop on it for the majority of 2017 and I needed a break. I'm getting really close now and my list will most certainly be completed by early spring and will be ready to launch.
    Some of the bigger projects I completed since I last posted were painting the interior (Kirby #32 Sand), building the hatches (still have to mount hardware though), built and installed boomkin, mostly finished the rudder assembly (paint is drying now), and a bunch of other fiddly sorts of things. I still need to finish up the daggerboard (NACA0012 profile), install cleats, chocks, varnish, general cleanup, etc...

Somehow I've missed this thread until now. I've eyed the apple designs for a while, but I think they're a bit more complex than I'm up for.

The boat is looking wonderful, just wonderful.

several more things got checked off the 'before I launch' list in the past few weeks. I finished up the rudder assembly and installed the uphaul, downhaul, and the norwegian tiller arm. I spent a good deal of time figuring out a solution for a removable section of floorboard. I previously installed a bulkhead mounted bilge pump but I wanted to be able to access the intake strum box underneath the floorboards in case it got clogged up. I looked at a number of different fastener types and while they all would probably do the trick, many were very expensive and I just couldn't justify the cost. After lots of searching on the internet, I eventually found what seemed to be the best cheap solution on this forum (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ng-Floorboards: A simple wooden toggle. It took several 'thinking beers' to adapt the solution to the boat, but it seems to have turned out pretty well. I also got around to oiling the floorboards with Deks D1. For those familiar with Deks, you're supposed to keep applying the oil until the wood no longer takes it up. I was amazed at how much the pine boards sucked up; they ended up taking 8 applications over the course of a Saturday afternoon. Hopefully it will give them some protection against the elements, but time will tell.

Finally, I installed all the hatch hinges and latches. I still need to add hatch gaskets to make them water tight-ish, but those are on back order at McMaster-Carr. I'm now down to building the oars, varnishing the rail and putting cleats on before launch. Since the local waterbodies still have ice on them, I should have a few weeks before I can launch anyway, so I don't feel rushed, but I am itching to get this boat in the water.

very pretty, I like the lil hatch latch!

I Finally launched this weekend and amazingly there were no issues other than me forgetting my knife and raincoat. It ended up being a 2 day launch because yesterday was way too windy for a first sail, but I really wanted to make sure it floated so we took it to a small pond just down the road from us. I was pleased to find that it not only floated, but it rowed nicely as well. Today was almost calm and a bit rainy, but I wanted my first day with the rig up to be nice and calm so I could start to get familiar with lug rig sailing. The conditions were pretty benign, but the boat felt well behaved and ghosted along nicely. I'm pretty happy with how the boat turned out and looking forward to some adventures.