Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 910

Thread: Phil Bolger consensus?

Default Re: Phil Bolger consensus?

Hello Jan,
    Are you aware of an outfit called the Shallow Water Sailors? <http://www.shallowwatersailor.us/> I have not joined them, but they seem to include a lot of Dovekie enthusiasts. They could be a useful resource.

I saw you sail past the Cedar Key waterfront on Saturday and was hoping to check out your boat, as I've only seen a Dovekie up close once before. I had just finished mooring my boat (a Scamp, off-white hull with green sheer, named Puffin) in front of the Island Place. But it had been an afternoon of rollicking fun on the water, and I was ready for a nap, and when I got back to the waterfront your boat was gone.

Bought Dovekie #56, the PILGRIM PELICAN, new from E&D and cruised it 12years. Towed her roughly 35,000 miles. Traded up for a Shearwater Yawl. What do you want to know?

PIL-PEL, Tarpaulin Cove.JPGShould've added a pic. Here's PIL-PEL at Tarpaulin Cove on Vineyard Sound, 1000 miles from home.

Rob, #316.
    Like the sound of Shallow Water Sailors, it describes most of my sailing as I live on a large very shallow bay in Victoria, Australia. Much of it dries at low tide and a lot of the rest is too shallow at low to paddle a kayak. Tidal range to 12ft but mostly 6. Interesting place to sail in a blow, short 3ft chop with the tops blown off.

I chanced on the SWS website years ago and they sound like an interesting bunch, but I never got around to actually joining up. Jan's post about his Dovekie brought them to mind.
    Dovekie is one of Bolger's designs that I'd love to try sailing sometime, even if I'm sure I'd not be tempted to own one. Other designs in that group are Birdwatcher, Lynx, Burgundy, and Long Micro. I'd love to own a Harbinger or a Defender dinghy. His Advanced Sharpies, on the other hand, leave me cold.
    Last edited by Rob Hazard; 05-08-2018 at 05:30 AM. Reason: spelling