Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Phil Bolger consensus?

If there is a Rutan of boat design, it would be Dick Newick.
    -Dave

Default Re: Phil Bolger consensus?

Why do people have to compare apples and oranges and say one is better.....WTF. Might just as well say I prefer Bach over the Beatles....means nothing....other than to me.....
    there are lots of really creative and innovative people out there.
    I admire both these guys.
    I like a lot of Bolger designs and respect a lot of his written sentiments....even when I disagree. Bolger's focus was often about trying to make boating and sailing accessible.
    Rutan expressed himself very differently because there was no part which focussed on accessibility for the masses

Could be that there is some similarity between Bolger and Rutan, but only in the way they have each offered designs using materials available to home- workshop builder, making possible the fabrication of either a boat or an airplane.
    Had this been an aircraft forum, it might have been worth considering the comparative merits of the two personalities. Perhaps the flying types would be happy to have it acknowledged that their man has one over Bolger.
    This being a boating forum, though, I am not happy with Rutan even being considered an eligible comparison to Bolger.
    How could the idea of a boat designed by Rutan be conjoured, without a plane design by Bolger?

Having only ever come to know about Rutan in connection with synthetic composites engineering, it might be fair to say that Rutan could be considered as someone who was a pioneer in the use of composite materialsin his field, where the same is not true of Bolger regarding wood.

Newick does offer us a gauge in terms of boat design achievement, but he brought nothing new in the way of rig design or innovation in materials use.

Quote Originally Posted by sailnstink View Post
    Bolger has been more prolific and more popular.
    Just as a data point, in almost 40 years of living in one of the world's sailing hotspots (Sydney Australia) I think I saw two Bolger boats, compared to god knows how many hundred Jack Holt boats and many Spencers, Bethwaites, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Just as a data point, in almost 40 years of living in one of the world's sailing hotspots (Sydney Australia) I think I saw two Bolger boats, compared to god knows how many hundred Jack Holt boats and many Spencers, Bethwaites, etc.
    Years of trundling around the Solent and although I think I saw 'Alert' once no other Bolger boats have crossed my path. Shame really because I would like to see a MIcro, AS29 and a Birdwatcher at some point.

Good points. The hilarious irony I missed was that Rutan was a pioneer in the use of frozen snot for aircraft construction. I like my boats wood and my airplanes(even my gliders) metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugalong View Post
    Could be that there is some similarity between Bolger and Rutan, but only in the way they have each offered designs using materials available to home- workshop builder, making possible the fabrication of either a boat or an airplane.
    Had this been an aircraft forum, it might have been worth considering the comparative merits of the two personalities. Perhaps the flying types would be happy to have it acknowledged that their man has one over Bolger.
    This being a boating forum, though, I am not happy with Rutan even being considered an eligible comparison to Bolger.
    How could the idea of a boat designed by Rutan be conjoured, without a plane design by Bolger?

Having only ever come to know about Rutan in connection with synthetic composites engineering, it might be fair to say that Rutan could be considered as someone who was a pioneer in the use of composite materialsin his field, where the same is not true of Bolger regarding wood.

Newick does offer us a gauge in terms of boat design achievement, but he brought nothing new in the way of rig design or innovation in materials use.

I have seen "Alert" and met Jim, when she was in Gweek for repairs, there was a "light dory" also in the same yard built by a friend, i thought it was like riding in a fast kayak, not the most stable of boats,initially. Not surprising that Bolger drew boats to suit locations of the clients, which do not always work everywhere else. One of Lukes pilot cutters went to the East Coast of the US, but after a year of charter, decided that the draft was way too deep for the area. I would guess there may be more Nymphs used as tenders in the UK than some of his bigger boats.......

Seems we've diverted to something like "what if God and Superman had a fight..." The question was our opinion of Bolger, not a "Top Ten Designers of ALL TIME!" list.

I've flown aircraft and messed about in boats, neither professionally. I chose sailplanes and sailboats for the same reason: the connections with weather and moment are beautiful and immediate. I was blessed to share a project, a meal, and a couple of visits with Bolger & Friends, and I was impressed. When I meet sailors, we often break the ice via references to CarTopper's forward centerboard, or WindSprint's stiffened gunwale, or the two-leg-o'-mutton rig. It works, because so many of have read Bolger and understood him. That's a contribution that few of us will make.

I am also a musician -- and I could bloviate that "Well Bolger's not Mozart..." proving only that I'm a silly person, wasting the time of others.

Now would I drive to Mojave (from NY) for a similar day w/ Rutan? Oh HELL YES!

AND, I miss Bolger. It's sad that we've heard all we're going to hear from him.

PWE

Chicks really like quiet guys. They think we're listening.

There's not going to be a consensus.
    Which should be OK.