Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 910

Thread: Phil Bolger consensus?

Default Re: Phil Bolger consensus?

Hello Jan,
    Are you aware of an outfit called the Shallow Water Sailors? <http://www.shallowwatersailor.us/> I have not joined them, but they seem to include a lot of Dovekie enthusiasts. They could be a useful resource.

I saw you sail past the Cedar Key waterfront on Saturday and was hoping to check out your boat, as I've only seen a Dovekie up close once before. I had just finished mooring my boat (a Scamp, off-white hull with green sheer, named Puffin) in front of the Island Place. But it had been an afternoon of rollicking fun on the water, and I was ready for a nap, and when I got back to the waterfront your boat was gone.

Bought Dovekie #56, the PILGRIM PELICAN, new from E&D and cruised it 12years. Towed her roughly 35,000 miles. Traded up for a Shearwater Yawl. What do you want to know?

PIL-PEL, Tarpaulin Cove.JPGShould've added a pic. Here's PIL-PEL at Tarpaulin Cove on Vineyard Sound, 1000 miles from home.

Rob, #316.
    Like the sound of Shallow Water Sailors, it describes most of my sailing as I live on a large very shallow bay in Victoria, Australia. Much of it dries at low tide and a lot of the rest is too shallow at low to paddle a kayak. Tidal range to 12ft but mostly 6. Interesting place to sail in a blow, short 3ft chop with the tops blown off.

I chanced on the SWS website years ago and they sound like an interesting bunch, but I never got around to actually joining up. Jan's post about his Dovekie brought them to mind.
    Dovekie is one of Bolger's designs that I'd love to try sailing sometime, even if I'm sure I'd not be tempted to own one. Other designs in that group are Birdwatcher, Lynx, Burgundy, and Long Micro. I'd love to own a Harbinger or a Defender dinghy. His Advanced Sharpies, on the other hand, leave me cold.
    Last edited by Rob Hazard; 05-08-2018 at 05:30 AM. Reason: spelling

I bought the Nexus Marine Black Skimmer and got a bunch of the original owners correspondence with Bolger. It's all about the Jochems Family Schooner. I'd be happy to pass on the PDF if anyone is interested.
    The cure for everything is saltwater - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    I chanced on the SWS website years ago and they sound like an interesting bunch, but I never got around to actually joining up. Jan's post about his Dovekie brought them to mind.
    Dovekie is one of Bolger's designs that I'd love to try sailing sometime, even if I'm sure I'd not be tempted to own one. Other designs in that group are Birdwatcher, Lynx, Burgundy, and Long Micro. I'd love to own a Harbinger or a Defender dinghy. His Advanced Sharpies, on the other hand, leave me cold.

not just "a Harbinger"... The Harbinger! by Story's yard.
    https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bo...590388539.html

I worked on this boat, painting the bottom, compounding the seams at Pert Lowell Co. she's been well cared for and enjoyed by her owner.

(they've got the photos side ways)

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 05-24-2018 at 09:29 PM.

I have been a fan of Phil Bolger ever since his Whitehall inspired pulling boat graced the cover of The Rudder magazine some fifty, or more, years ago!
    At the time of the interview for the article Phil was dressed in an outfit that made him a dead ringer for Nathanial Herreshoff. The beard the coat and the look were all just right!
    In many respects I see his versatility of design to parallel some of Mr. Herreshoff's concepts. While, some of his boats were outrageously ugly but they all fitted the purpose that they were designed for! They all worked! I often think that he may have been laughing up his sleeve at propriety with some of his boat designs. It might be the same thing the was done with Micky Rooney and Judy Garland when the said to their friends, lets put some songs and costumes together and put on a show! They did and, unlikely, magic was made! Just as unlikely looking are some of Bolger's designs but, they all seem to work!

I like his folding schooner, "Jackknife!
    Jay

The first wooden boat I built was Teal, 12 ft long and coming out of just 2 sheets of plywood. The boat looked good too

I have no intention of infringing the copy right of Josh Colvin and all at Small Craft Advisor - subscribe yourself.
    In the current issue (112) there is an interview with John Harris of Chesapeake Light Craft, a total hero of mine and probably one of the most successful suppliers of wooden boat kits in the world with a wide ranging catalogue of innovative designs. Anyways, John sights Phil Bolger as his greatest influence and gushes about the man - as I say subscribe yourself

Tink - "In the current issue (112) there is an interview with John Harris of Chesapeake Light Craft, a total hero of mine and probably one of the most successful suppliers of wooden boat kits in the world with a wide ranging catalogue of innovative designs. Anyways, John sights Phil Bolger as his greatest influence and gushes about the man."

I'm glad you brought this up - CLC & John's work are clear evidence of Phil Bolger's continuing influence on boat design - to look over a CLC design is to see Bolger's design process - his thinking process - manifested. John Harris's work complements Phil's work - completes it in many ways - by successfully "editing" Phil's taste for taking ideas to the limit (and occasional beyond...). I greatly admire John Harris & CLC for their contribution to getting folks into boats... Moe

I often think that John Harris writes about boats and the design process even better than Bolger.

As I am currently spending a lot of time driving my daughter about - full blown Opti Dad - podcasts are my saviour. Hooked on wooden boats 57, 104, 146, 181, 193 feature John Harris and well worth a listen

http://hookedonwoodenboats.com/index/

Thanks, I am starting a new job next week which will involve regular pounding of the M40 - will download the podcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    Thanks, I am starting a new job next week which will involve regular pounding of the M40 - will download the podcasts.
    Good luck with that, my travels with my daughter have made me appreciate out quiet roads in the North East.