Thread: Port Townsend WA - Moorings or Slips?

Default Port Townsend WA - Moorings or Slips?

There's a decent chance we'll be moving to the Port Townsend area sometime this year and I'm trying to get a feel for local boat storage options (probably boat purchasing, too, though I'll save that one for later). All I've seen on past visits to PT are marinas/slips, and I'm wondering if there are any mooring fields in the area where a mooring could be dropped or rented. Moorings weren't too common in the part of the Chesapeake Bay where I had my boat (certainly nothing like in Maine, where they seem to be everywhere), but I've always liked them. Any local knowledge from the PNW crowd? Thanks. -Ben

Default Re: Port Townsend WA - Moorings or Slips?

I don't know of any mooring areas around Port Townsend, but after having been in and out of the yard there, and in a slip in the off season, I do know that there is a long waiting list for slips. I would have loved to stay in P.T. but there was a 5 year waiting list. My boat is now in Anacortes. Not the wood boat mecca that is P.T., and the wind generally isn't as good, but at least I am close to the San Juans.

Richard

The ground around PT is notorious for being terrible. Perhaps a solid mooring could be made, but anchoring there frequently leads to dragging. You can also look into Point Hudson Marina, or Port Ludlow for a short drive.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

Mystery Bay on Marrowstone Island has a bunch of moorings. Seems like there's also a mooring field outside the Port Ludlow marina. Mystery Bay would be much more secure.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

PT no good for mooring. As Ben said, it gets very rough out there in winter.
    I have begun the process of getting my own legal mooring in Gig Harbor.
    It will take at least 6 months and 4, possibly 7 thousand dollars for the permits , survey, environmental lip service and install of a single bottom screw.

Thanks, all. Interesting about the poor holding ground. Looking at google earth, there appears to be a fair number of moorings in Mystery Bay and in the southern end of PT Bay, though I ran across an old newspaper story or two describing efforts to get rid of many of these due to lack of permits, etc. But reported efforts seemed aimed primarily at bringing mooring holders into compliance, and not necessarily getting rid of them, so perhaps there's hope.

Hollister, CA -- Paris of the West (not!)

Bottom of PT Bay, near the Portage Cut. It's in Port Hadlock, and there are moorings and a small marina. Other than that, Mystery Bay is very nice. Other options further from Port Townsend.

Anybody have any experience at John Wayne Marina in Sequim Bay? Looks promising.

http://www.johnwaynewaterfrontresort.com/

Major thread drift ... I could see doing sail & oar trip from John Wayne Marina to Boat Haven. Weather permitting, I'd ride the flood past Protection Island and around Point Wilson (where I'd get hammered by the rip, yipee@#!), all with the aim of wrapping up my day with a beer at the Port Townsend Brewery tap room. It'd be about 20 miles one way, ramp to ramp. Seems like an honorable goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Anybody have any experience at John Wayne Marina in Sequim Bay? Looks promising.

http://www.johnwaynewaterfrontresort.com/

Major thread drift ... I could see doing sail & oar trip from John Wayne Marina to Boat Haven. Weather permitting, I'd ride the flood past Protection Island and around Point Wilson (where I'd get hammered by the rip, yipee@#!), all with the aim of wrapping up my day with a beer at the Port Townsend Brewery tap room. It'd be about 20 miles one way, ramp to ramp. Seems like an honorable goal.
    Take the GoPro. Attach large visible floats. I wanna see the footage, no matter the outcome <G>. Seriously... it sounds like fun. I don't know anyone who's done it in an 18' open boat, but know several who've done just that leg in slightly larger cabin boats.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Lived aboard at John Wayne for ten years in the 90s. Sequim bay is (or at least was back then) very quiet, both weatherwise and peoplewise. The area has been built up a lot since then though, and the town of Sequim is hardly recognizable from its former self. Still a nice place I think. Lots of retirees from California and the midwest. The marina itself was modern and clean, with good facilities. One small cafe there, nearest shopping is in town 3 - 4 miles away. An easy half day sail across the strait to either the San Juans or Victoria.

Matts Matts Bay near Port Ludlow has boats at anchor or moorings that can be seen from the hiway. Never checked it out but it is a well protected flask shaped little harbor with houses around it. Pretty!
    Jay

A snug little harbor, tight getting in and out!
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Yep, kinda like some English anchorages!
    Incidently, I understand that "Matts Matts" means opening and closing mouth in the words of the first people of that area.
    I think it might refer to the depth of the entrance channel at different tidal levels. I have seen some pretty big sailing craft anchored in there so, a skipper who knows his stuff and his boat should be able to make that passage on the right tide.
    Jay
    https://www.facebook.com/MatsMatsBay/
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 02-05-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Good stuff, guys. I'm looking forward to checking out these places on our next visit. -Ben

Hollister, CA -- Paris of the West (not!)

Mats Mats is a genuine hurricane hole. Great harbor

Don't know if it's the same over there, but in Oz insurers have been getting very leery of moorings. To the point of simply refusing renewal at years end. And those who do offer cover charge quite a bit more on a mooring vs a slip. If you have an older boat, made of wood, and hanging on a mooring, your options might be both limited and expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Don't know if it's the same over there, but in Oz insurers have been getting very leery of moorings. To the point of simply refusing renewal at years end. And those who do offer cover charge quite a bit more on a mooring vs a slip. If you have an older boat, made of wood, and hanging on a mooring, your options might be both limited and expensive.
    Interesting. Something to look into when I get to that point. I've just gotten kind of sick of marinas ... somehow a boat sitting on a mooring seems to be in more of a natural state to me. Nice to come out in the dinghy and climb aboard ... immediate elbow room. That was my experience last summer at WB School, anyway, aboard Bufflehead.

went to Port Towsand today to pick up my 1964 Evinrude 18HP from Outboard Repair shop.......couldn't resist to visit Boatyard as well..... Love Sally Ann

Victoria....
    Pacific Grace from Victoria BC
    Bernice is lovely !
    Last edited by 2dogsnight; 02-13-2017 at 08:36 PM.