Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UNE Student Echo Bay Dory Skiff Build

Default Glue is Messy

Last Thursday I was tasked to help screw and glue all the parts of the boat we have built so far together. This involved the transom, the stem, the midship frame, and the side planks. We used a glue gun to glue everything together. The glue we used was epoxy glue. We had to make sure to put enough glue so that when we put the parts together and screwed it glue would squish out. We had to make some new holes to connect the side planks and the transom because when they were screwed in last time the screws were in to deep. I though we did a good job making sure enough glue was applied. I was in charge with doing most of the screwing. I made sure to be careful when screwing the screws back in so it wouldn't go to deep.

Default Working with Kids

On Tuesday I made up a class to make up due to car trouble on the original class day. I came in as a volunteer to help a class of middle schoolers build their boat. One of the other people that volunteer to help out is a social worker so the first thing that we did was present the students with 4 questions about the class. The students where instructed to answer them at the end of class. Next the students were split up into groups. One group went and made paddles. The rest were working on their boat. One group was shaping the wood for one of the boats they were starting to build, while the other group was screwing and glueing the first boat that they had started making. I was helping out with screwing and glueing. While the kids were there we didn't get much done but after they left Shane had me finish glueing the pieces together. I thought I did a good job with it and It came out really nice and clean.
    Last edited by bcass; 03-06-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Default Re: UNE Student Echo Bay Dory Skiff Build

Attention to Detail is Cleat.

At the start of the last class, our professor gave us a short lesson on how to safely use epoxy. Which reminded me of a joke. What do you call a 21st century boat builder? An epoxymoron! Anyway, after that Carly, Jenni, and I went back to work on the bulkheads. This time focusing on the cleats. Each bulkhead needed a cleat on each of its sides. Using a the chop saw we cut the cleats to their specified dimensions. We then attached the cleats to the bulkheads by drilling holes from the bulkheads into the cleats and inserting screws. This is only temporary though, we will have to take out the screws and put them back in with a layer epoxy. Meanwhile, with the cleat dry fit to the bulkheads we had to cut bevels into the side cleats of the aft bulkhead. To do this we tilted the plan of the table on the bandsaw to the appropriate degree and started cutting. Unfortunately, we cut the top cleat instead of the side and had to make a new cleat. It was easy enough because already knew how to do it. We then cut the correct cleats with the proper bevel and started to use a block plan on the beveled cleats to smooth them out.

Week 6

This week in boat building class I focused on one task for the entirety of the class period. I was planing a plank of wood that would collectively become the bottom of the boat. To attach the two planks together we needed to plane the edge of the wood at an angle so when we put them together there would be maximum stability. Once we glued the planks together we clamped them to the table to allow them to dry. The rest of the class was split into two groups. One group was working on screwing and gluing the side planks together with the transom. The other group was working on making the bulkheads for the skiff.

All I can say is that planing wood is an arm workout! After hours of chipping away at wood I can say that my arms and hands had had enough and I have the calluses to prove it. I was sick the week before this class period so when I walked in and saw that the boat was partially assembled I was very impressed. It motivated me to keep going and get the boat finished.

Week Seven Skiff
    This week our class was split into two groups. The first group (Ian, Carly, and Jenni) finished up the bulkheads. Our group started off the class period by cutting the chine logs so they would fit and attach to the side planks of our skiff. After we bent the chine logs into place, we clamped them so we could drill and screw them. Once screwing the chine logs into the starboard and port sides of the skiff, we had to plane them. Each side had to be flat in order for the bottom of the boat to attach smoothly. We used a piece of wood to gauge if the area was still angled or if it was flat.
    This week was A LOT of planing, even more than last week. There were 5 people in my group and we were all planing those chine logs for probably an hour or more. At the end of the class we placed the sheet for the bottom of the skiff onto the body and it looks promising that it will fit evenly. This week I also realized the terrible sound scraping the dried epoxy off the wood made. I am very glad sand paper was used for that task because that scraper sounded like nails on a chalkboard.

Bulkheads & Chine Logs

This week consisted of finishing up the fore and aft bulkheads and fitting the chine logs to the bottom of the boat. My group got together and took apart the bulkheads to screw and glue them one at a time. We did this by putting wood glue on the pieces that were being attached, making sure there was enough on there for a secure fit, and screwing them back together. There were two spots that needed a clamp on them because the screw was a little too far away. Next week we'll put two more screws in on those spots to secure it even more. The other group was working on planing the chine logs to match the bottom surface of the boat. Once that is flat and even, we'll be able to attach the bottom of the boat.

The pictures above show us screwing and gluing the bulkheads together. We were able to practice using the drill. The other group got more practice using the planers. Towards the end of the class we started to work on the rub rails. We got the use the machine planer which was pretty cool. We ran out of time so we'll finish it next week. This week was fun because we were able to listen to music while we were gluing.

Default Attaching The Chine Logs

Last Class I worked on the Chine Logs and getting those attached to the boat. I had to cut some of the ends off of the two pieces using a hand saw. It was a tricky cut at first, but once I got the hang of it, it got a lot easier. The wood we used to make these was oak wood. The oak wood was strong so it was not an easy thing to cut through. Next my group members and I had to screw the Chine Logs to the Side Planks. We used clamps to hold the shape of the logs. Once we got them in place we drove screws into them so that they stay in place. After that I used a block plane to smooth out the bottom of the Chine Logs so that they were even with the Side Planks and it made a flat surface to hopefully start the Bottom Plank soon. I definitely need to pay a little more attention when block planning because I went to low on some sides of the Chine Logs. After I was made aware of what I was doing wrong I focused a lot more on keeping the surface even and it came out a lot better. I'm hoping that we can start working on getting the Bottom Plank done soon so we could make the boat look almost complete.

Default Chine Logs

This week we worked on finishing the chine logs. The first step in this process was measuring the angles that both ends of the chine logs needed to be cut to fit correctly against the stem and transom. We used a bevel gauge to measure the angles out (see picture) and then a handsaw to cut them. Measuring the angles was a little challenging because they were compound angles, however the practice I had measuring out the bevels for the transom definitely helped. Once we had both compound angles cut on each end of the chine logs we had to measure them to the correct length. To do this, we fit the end of the chine log to the stem and then bent it past the midship frame and to the transom, letting the back end sit on the transom. We then made a mark where the chine log crossed the midship frame and then made a matching mark on the boat. We then fit the end of the chine log to the transom and bent it past the stem and made another mark on the chine log where it crossed the same mark on the boat. The distance between the two marks on the chine log was the length we needed to cut in order for them to fit. Next, we redrew the compound angle on one end of each chine log to cut it to the correct length. To me, this was a very interesting way to cut the chine logs to the correct length. It was definitely a more accurate way than measuring out the total length and it also allowed us to re-cut one of the angles we didn't think was up to par! Next, we fit the chine logs into their spot, clamped them down, and dry fitted them to the side planks (see picture). We ended the class with using the block plane to plane the chine logs flat (see picture) so that the bottom can be attached. Planing the chine logs was pretty challenging because a lot needed to be taken off and the angle needed to be flat with the midship frame and transom. Next class we will need to plane a little bit more and then we will be ready to work on the bottom. It is exciting to see new pieces get added each week and putting on the bottom is a big step towards the final product!

download (1).jpgdownload.jpg
    The week was March second the task building a boat
    We were split up into separate groups to achieve different task of building the boat. I had chosen to take up the task of block planning the stren or the boat so that it was flush and so no wood bits were sticking out. I chose planning because its relaxing and I am able to think of other things while I do it, such like when you exercise.
    Last edited by jellyfish; 03-08-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Default Attaching the Chine Logs

Last class we began by measuring and cutting the chine logs to size and fitting them to our boat. We then clamped the chine logs and proceeded to drive screws about every six inches down both side planks. After we dry fit the chine logs, we removed the screws, glued, and then returned the screws to the appropriate positions. Next came my favorite part of shaving down the excess wood from the chine logs with a block plane. For some reason this job was very satisfying. To wrap up the class we placed the bottom plank on the boat and, amazingly, it sat just as smoothly in position as I could have imagined. It was very cool to used the screwing and gluing skills that we learned the previous week and to see how much those skills have improved. Next week we will be cutting out the bottom plank and attaching it to the rest of out boat.
    Last edited by GabeValley; 03-09-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Now That’s How You Block Plane

During last weeks class, my group continued working on the aft and fore bulkheads. We started by unscrewing the attached cleats from the bulkheads. Since we already done this once or twice before, we had a little fun posing for shots as you can see in the first picture. Once the bulkheads were completely taken apart , we apply wood glue to both the base of the bulkheads and the bottom of the cleats. We spread the glue , covering the entire surface where the two parts would meet. This strengthens the overall structure of the bulkheads. We then put the screws back in. We noticed a gap on one of the cleats, so we clamped in tightly to create a seal with the glue, cleat, and bulkhead. Next week, when the glue is dried, we will put in another screw. We wiped up the excess glue. We also cleaned the beveled sides with the block planes some more and smoothed out some of the edges with sandpaper.

Default Re: Screwing and Glueing

Echo Bay Dory Skiff Week Eight:

During this class period, my group worked on cutting the bottom plank for the boat, taking off the chine logs, gluing and screwing them back on, and gluing the bottom plank to complete the hull of the boat. Emma and I used the jig saw to carefully cut to the line on the bottom plank of our boat while Brandon and Gabe continued to plane the chine logs. When we were finished outlining the the bottom plank with the jig saw, we made sure it fit onto the boat with a little over hang on all sides that we could plane later. Next, we mixed the epoxy with a 2:1 ratio of part A to part B. We added saw dusk to thicken it. We glued and screwed the chine logs back into the boat and did the same with the hull.
    This week was very rewarding. We got to see somewhat of a finished boat frame by the end of the class period. It was a great leaving point to head into spring break. The thickened epoxy we were working with this week was interesting. It was very thick and looked like peanut butter. The epoxy was drying very quickly so we had to work fast along with it. One challenging aspect of this week was drilling and screwing at an angle into the chine logs. I messed up on a few, but finally got the hang of it by the end. I am excited to pick up where we left off after spring break.

Default Here Comes the Bottom

This week we spent most of class working on the bottom plank. The first thing we did was trace the outline of the boat on the marine grade plywood we were using for the bottom plank (see picture). After this we now had an outline of our bottom plank. Next we used the jigsaw and the cutting to the line technique to cut out the bottom plank (see picture). Cutting to the line was very important, especially when it came to the bottom plank, so it was a little nerve-racking for me when I was cutting. I think it worked out pretty well though and all of the practice I had in previous classes definitely helped. Next we dry fitted the bottom plank to the chine logs with a couple of screws and made some registration marks. After dry fitting, we unscrewed both the chine logs and bottom plank from the boat so that we could glue them to the boat. The glue we used this time was thicker than the glue we used previously so that it wouldn’t drip and would fill all the gaps (see picture). We used the screw and glue techniques to reattach both chine logs and bottom plank (see picture). Seeing everything fit together correctly was very rewarding and exciting. Next class we will work on planning the sides of the bottom plank so that they line up with the side planks. I am looking forward to this because I enjoy block planing; I like making things the right size so that they fit together as they should.

We Have a Hull!

Last week's class was very exciting because we were able to screw and glue the bottom of the boat to the frame we already had to make the hull! One group worked on this by using epoxy and fitting the base to the outline of boat. They made the bottom a little bigger than needed so they had room to work with. It would be trouble if it were too small and there were gaps in the hull. When we get back from spring break, they will hand plane the edges to be flush with the side planks.

While one group worked on that, my group worked on the rubrail. We cut the pieces to length using a hand saw. Then we used hand planers to shape an taper onto the front and back of them. This is more for artistic design and will hopefully look good on the boat! Next week we'll do a little touch up sanding and screw them to the boat so they can be properly placed. The next step will be to glue the rubrail to the side planks.
    It was a relaxing week with just planing and putting the boat together. I hadn't gotten to use the hand plane a lot so this was a good opportunity to work on my skills with it and get better. It was nice to see the hull all put together because now we've really got the base of our boat done, so now we just have to work on the finishing touches.

Week Five, Week Fun
    Week five we cranked up the tunes and got crackin. I definitely liked that we tried playing our low music in our small group because it gave us more enthusiasm and fun, a nice touch to week 5 in the shop. Ian, Jenni and I finally, officially finished our bulkheads. From last week, they required some sanding, which was tedious, but straightforward and we knew what to do to perfect them. We used some block planes then some sanding blocks (in picture 1 Ian has a great angle form with a block plane). Sometimes it’s difficult to block plain and the wood gives you a hard time with certain angles, so you have to tweak your form to get the right stroke. Soon enough they were set for screwing and glueing. Well, first we had to unscrew the screws that we put through last week (seen in picture 2). Then we glued and screwed the planks to the bulkheads. For glue, we used some regular wood glue. We used a small paint brush to lather both sections of each piece of wood, then carefully placed them together where they belong ed (seen in picture 3 by Ian). One at a time, we glued the piece onto the wood, then together we carefully screwed the screws back in (picture 4). Eventually the two bulkheads had individual planks glued and screwed to the bulkheads and we were done.
    At this point, we were given the choice to either work on the breasthook and quarter knees or the rubrails, also known as many different things. We wanted to work on the breasthook and quarter knees, but Professor Hall swayed us to the rubrails. We grabbed a long piece of wood and measured it. The thickness was not what we wanted it to be, so we had to run it through the planer (shown in picture 5). After running it through twice, using each other to make sure it ran through well, we neared the end of class. Next week, we will continue working on the rubrails and I’m guessing it will take a few weeks. This is exciting to me, especially because we have the opportunity to make them so unique. This is usually a part of the boat that distinguishes it from others, so I’m excited to be a part of the signature feature.
    Picture 1
    Picture 2
    Picture 3
    Picture 4
    Picture 5

Default More Glue

Last class I worked on screwing and gluing the chine logs and the bottom plank to the boat. We used the epoxy glue to glue everything together. We had to drill the bottom plank on, then take all of the screws out that we had just screwed in. We then had to unscrew the chine logs too. Next we began gluing. After we glued the chine logs in we screwed them back into place. Then we glued the bottom plank to the bottom of the boat and re-screwed the screw back in. The gluing wasn't as messy of a job as it usually is although I did unfortunately get some on my shirt. All in all I think I did a good job with what I did. I made sure to apply enough glue so they would stay and I did a good job screwing and unscrewing the screws.

These are pictures of us screwing on the bottom plank, placing glue for the bottom plank, and re-screwing the bottom plank after it had been glued down. I am looking forward to smoothening out the edges next class so that the boat looks more neat.

Default Screwing and Glueing

This past week, we worked as a group to glue the bottom plank of our skiff to the chine logs. The adhesive we used was epoxy which we mixed ourselves. We also mixed in wood flour to make our glue more viscous. We laid the glue onto the chine logs quickly so that we were able to lay the bottom plank on top of it before it could dry. Once we had the bottom plank in place, we re-drove screws into the holes that had been drilled in our prior class. Finally, we have a hull! Practicing my glueing and screwing skills was enjoyable because I have improved quite a bit since the beginning of the project. I am excited to come back after break and continue working on the Echo Bay Dory Skiff!

Default Re: More Glue

Week 6 and a Fix
    Week 6 was right before Spring Break. Jenni, Ian and I started with a dilemma because we could find the wood that we put aside for our rubrails. They were originally already measured and essentially perfect. We couldn’t find them, so we had to problem solve. We eventually found two pieces that were just barely long enough. We made our markings as to where to block plane down to, then we got started(seen in picture 1 and 2). Ian seemed to have the best block plane and finished his one piece of wood(both sides), while Jenni and I each took a side of the other piece. We finished block planing at about the same time, which took awhile. Block planing definitely takes a lot longer than most would probably think. It soothing, but my hands were sore the next day. Again, I really enjoy this part of building our boat because this is a component that makes it unique. It’s worth the soreness and time.

While we were shaping our rubrails, our other classmates glued the bottom of the boat on(seen in picture 3). It was so cool to see a big, basic part of the boat come together. It was especially nice to see right before we all headed off for Spring Break.

Sidenote-Ian and I got to use the skills we’ve obtained so far over break. Ian broke a bed frame(the frame wasn’t put together well, so it actually wasn't his fault completely) and we screwed and glued it back together. It was pretty funny and also fun that we got to apply what we’ve learned in class to real world things.
    Picture 1
    Picture 2
    Picture 3

Oh Yeah! Rub Those Rails.
    What The Hull Are You Talking About?

During our last session at the Compass Project session, the class was finally able to screw and glue the bottom to the frame. I must say, we have a pretty nice hull. Meanwhile, Jenni, Carl and I worked on the rubrails. First we, used a planer to make sure the pieces of wood we were using was completely even. We then spent the rest of the class time using the block planes on the rubrails, so that they have a rounded look.

Finishing Touches

This week my group worked on attaching the rub rails to the top of the side planks. We lined it up to be flush with the back of the transom and started clamping. We clamped sections one at a time. As we were clamping on one end, a person was on the other end of the rub rail bending it to fit the shape/ bend of the side planks. Once the rub rails were clamped flush, we drilled countersunk holes about every six inches where the screws were going to go. Once the holes were countersunk, we then screwed together the rub rails and side planks used 3/4" screws. After both sides were screwed onto the boat, then we took off the clamps. While we were doing this, the other group worked on the breast and quarter hooks. Next week we should be able to screw and glue all these pieces together! This week was fun because we got to work on the "guts" of the boat since the hull is finished. Next we'll work on getting the bulkheads put in.

A. B. C.
    Pictures A/B are the rub rails. Picture C is cutting out the breast hook

*Helpful Hint*
    When using the metal clamps, put pieces of scrap wood between them and the piece of wood that you're clamping. This will prevent dimpling of the wood.

Default Quater Knees

This week I worked on the quarter knees for our boat. We first cut out the quarter knee shape from the boat plans and then glued it to a piece of plywood (see picture). This gave us an outline that was easy to trace onto our piece of oak that we decided to use for the quarter knees. After tracing the outline onto the oak we used the band saw and the cutting to the line technique to cut them out (see picture). I definitely liked cutting the oak on the band saw more than I do the plywood; it seemed as though I had a lot more control when trying to cut right up to the line, probably because it took longer to cut through the oak. After cutting them out we used a spokeshave to smooth out the rounder sides of the quarter knees (see picture). I had never used a spokeshave before so it was a little hard to get the hang of at first but then I figured it out and I enjoyed using it to smooth out the edges. The last thing we worked on was measuring and cutting the bevels for the quarter knees. This was a little challenging but I think our group did some good problem solving. After cutting the bevels the first time one side was a little off and left a gap when fit up against the side planks. To fix this we measured the gap and cut a little bit off the top of the bevel (see picture). Once we recut them, they fit great and we will work next class on attaching them to the boat.

This week in Boat Building
    My group had the task of putting the rubbing nails on the side of the boat. You might be wondering how can you distort a relatively straight piece of wood to fit the curve of the boat. It's not as complex as it seems; there will be a few tools that will you will have to acquire. You will need a boat, a relatively straight piece of wood, clamps, scrap wood, a drill and screws. First, you need to make sure the wood and boat are lined up Second is where you clamp the wood the scrap pieces are so the clamps don't muck up the wood. Once the sides are clamp (we did one side at a time) now was the time to drill and screw the two pieces together. After that's done marvel at your work and treat yourself.
    Last edited by jellyfish; 03-30-2017 at 05:55 PM. Reason: w

Still Revvin’ During Week Seven
    Week seven in the shop was filled with some competition, fun, and more problem solving. When we arrived to class, Shane divided us into two groups and we had to differentiate between an Echo Bay Dori Skiff and a Compass Skiff. As picture 1 shows, it was quite competitive, to a level where after my ECDS team went through the technical differences, we started writing things like,”Made with love” and “Cooler.” It was fun.
    After our competition and discussion on the differences, we went into our groupings. Some working on the breasthook, others working on the quarter knees, and Jenni, Ian, Paige and I working on the rubrails. From last week, they were all set up to be drilled into the boat, so we started right away. We used a combination square to measure where the rubrail would line up with the boat and we drilled holes for the screws (seen in picture 2). Once that was completed, we used clamps and started lining up the rubrails. Someone held one end of a rubrail to the boat, another person clamped with small pieces of wood to prevent dents in the boat, and the other two bent the rubrail to the boat as they gripped. The first one didn’t match the edge of the boat as we wanted (seen in picture 3), so we tried to problem solve how to make it line up with the edge before we had to drill it.. After asking Shane, we tried to use different clamps on the other rubrail. We went a lot slower and used our force to line it up as best as possible. Using those clamps seemed to work on that side of the boat, so we solved our problem (as seen in picture 4). We then snagged some ¾ inch screws, countersunk the holes, stuck our screws through wax, and drilled one rubrail into the boat (picture 5). After one rubrail, we moved onto the next. The ends stuck out a little and we knew we still had to screw them in, but putting screws through the ends was not the same as putting it through a part, like the middle of the boat. There was more wood to screw through on the ends. Because it was thicker, we used one inch screws. Our rubrails were then intact and our echo bay dory skiff was one step closer to being done (picture 6). Woohoo!

Picture 1
    Picture 2
    Picture 3
    Picture 4
    Picture 5
    Picture 6

Default Week Seven: UNE's Echo Dory Bay Skiff Build

This week, we split up into groups and tackles multiple small projects. While other groups were working on building and attaching the rub rails and quarter knees, I worked with my group to complete the breast plate. I was excited to work on this project because it allowed me to measure and cut bevels. I find this task satisfying because it is not as easy as just cutting to the line; it involves a bit more thought and skill. Together we managed to cut out templates and then our final product. We had to re-cut our breast plate a couple of times in order for it to fit in place just right. As the weeks go by and our boat progresses, I feel that the tasks that we felt were impossible, such as reading blueprints and making correct measurements, have become almost second nature. I will absolutely use these skills throughout my life, in many future woodworking projects.

Week Nine Blog Post: Quarter Knees

This week in class, my group worked on creating the quarter knees for our Echo Bay Dory Skiff. I was instructed to pick out a type of wood that would look best for the quarter knees. I chose oak because it is very durable and smooth. From there, we traced the precise measurements of the quarter knees from the blueprints and cut them out using the band saw. We had to measure the angle of the quarter knee verses the transom and adjust that angle on the band saw accordingly so they would fit perfectly into the boat. At the end of the class, we started to talk about the inside details of the boat and what we had left to add. We also started to talk about the name and color of our boat.
    As we are getting closer and closer to finishing the boat there are less projects to be done. For me, week nine was slightly dull because my group had four people and we were all working on the quarter knees. I think that job really only required two people but I gave my help where I could. I am very excited to be out in the warm sun painting our boat. I am even more excited to finally launch our masterpiece and see how all of our hard work has paid off.

RubRails Bend, But They Won’t Smack Your Face
    (to the theme of the 1970’s Weebles commercial)

This last week’s class started out with a game. The class split up into two groups and was given about 15 minutes to come up with as many similarities and differences between the compass skiff and the echo bay dory skiff as possible. Well, we have some student athletes in this class and if there’s even the slightest inclination on a competition, it’s going to be intense. The problem is we focused on the differences and failed to recognize the similarities between the two boats.
    After the game; Jenni, Carly, Paige, and I began to dry fit the rub rails to the outer rim of the side planks on our hull. This proved to be difficult because we had to bend the rub rails to fit the shape. This required a lot of clamps and adjustments. It seemed that every time we aligned and clamped a section of the rub rail to the side plank, the previous section would move out of alignment. Eventually, we had the rub rails properly aligned. We then parked points where we would drill holes and put in the screws from the side plank into the rubrail. Once we had finished the dry fit, we started placing where the bulkheads would attach. We quickly realized that the fit was off and we needed to again modify the bulkheads we thought were perfect. However, that will be a job for next class.

Default Band Saw Down

This week in boatbuilding we did a little mini game between our boat and the high schoolers boat. We compared the differences and similarities of the boats. I also worked on the quarter knees. For the quarter knees we cut out their shape on paper and glued them to pieces of wood.then we used those pieces to trace onto the wood we were going to use for the actual pieces themselves. We used the band saw to cut them out. Once we cut those out we had to mark them for a bevel cut. This was a challenge the cut listed on the blueprints didn't match the boat so we had to kinda do it on our own. Then the band saw's saw blade snapped as we tried to cut the breasthook, so I got to learn how to replace the blade on that. Once we got that up and running again we were able to make the necessary bevel cuts on the quarter knees. All in all I would say it was a productive class. I'm looking forward to working on the next part of the boat.

So Close!

This week in class it was all hands on deck. We were working on the boat all at once and it got a little hectic. Our goal was to get the breast hook, quarter hooks, rub rails, and both bulkheads screwed and glued onto the boat. It took about four of us to apply the epoxy to the rub rails and where they were going to go. Once the glue was applied, we lined it up with the holes and started screwing it back onto the boat. We had to move quickly so the glue wouldn't start to dry before we had the chance to screw. While some of us did that, others worked on gluing the fore bulkhead to the boat. This was the same process as the rub rails, by using the epoxy and screwing it back together. Once those two things were done, we were able to screw and glue the breast hook and quarter hooks onto the boat as well. The only thing we weren't able to accomplish was screwing and gluing the the aft bulkhead. It didn't quite fit the shape of the boat. So next class we'll work on hand planing it to make it fit.

As busy as this week was, it was a lot of fun to see it all come together and have all of us work on it. We had to do a little problem solving too when it came to the aft bulkhead and figuring out where to put it to make it fit and how much to plane it. A lot of communication was needed as well because so many things were going on at once. It's hard to believe that in a few weeks we'll be painting it and getting ready to launch it.

Default Screwing and Glueing

This week I worked on a few different projects. First I helped dry fit the quarter knees to the back of the boat (see picture). Then we unscrewed the quarter knees, rub rails, and breasthook from the boat so that we could glue them. We mixed up some epoxy and then worked on screwing and gluing the rub rails back on. This was the most challenging part to glue because they were the largest piece. We had to make sure that they matched up exactly to where they were dry fitted so they could be screwed back in. This was a little challenging especially with the glue on but with the help of some registration marks we had made prior to removal, we were able to figure it out. Once we had the rub rails lined up in the correct position we clamped them (see picture) and then screwed them back in. Next we screwed and glued the breasthook and then the quarter knees. Seeing everything permanently glued on and fit together (see picture) is very rewarding and means that we are getting closer to the final product. We finished the class with block planing the sides of the bottom so that they were flush with the side planks. Even though planing can be difficult at times, it is something I enjoy doing. I enjoy smoothing out the edges and seeing things fit together as they should. Next week I look forward to learning about the fiberglass process.

There was glue and putty everywhere
    strength was used to undrill the rub rills and applied epoxy to the rub rills and the side of the boat where the rub rills go, we also put a thicker glue on it as well. The trick to screwing these nails in is to do it quickly for the glue drys quiet fast. We had to work in a group as it required a ton of hands to do this part, hands to drill hands to hold the wood and hands to work the clamps. After all this was done we puttied all the holes such as where the nails are and the little spaces the wood wasn't flush against.

Rubrails and Quarter Knees and Bulkheads Oh My!
    During week 10, we were very productive. Because the boat is the main piece that is currently being worked on by everyone, many people were busy at once. It was a little chaotic, but fun. As we arrived, Brandon started to dry fit the quarter knees with another classmate while Gabe was dry fitting the breast hook into place. Paige, Rihanna, me and another classmate were given the big job of gluing and screwing the rubrails, while Ian and Jenni were trying to fit the 2nd bulkhead (the difficult one). Brandon soon finished the quarter knees and moved onto the skeg for the rest of class. Gabe also moved onto another project for the rest of class. Jenni and Ian’s class time was mostly taken up by the stubborn bulkhead because it just could not cooperate no matter how much they tried. It had to be fitted to the sides of the boat, which they got the angles for that (Image 2), but it also had to be fitted to the bottom of the boat, which was the difficult angle (Image 3). They tried to use a pencil to mark the same angle as the bottom of the boat, but the tricky part was that it had to be block planed to fit the downward arc of the bottom of the boat. This arc was the part where they could not reach the perfect angle because something always put the angle off. I even tried to help them at one point and got incredibly confused at how to problem solve and fix this angle so it would fit. After a couple of hours of persistence and frustration, the block planeing was nearing the screws and we decided to just give it to the professional, Shane. Jenni and Ian then helped the rest of us with the rubrails. These rubrails were hard to screw and glue to the boat. This time we had a time constraint because the epoxy was drying. It took 6 of us to glue, align, bend and screw them to the boat. It was slightly stressful, but they came out great. Next, the bulkhead that is towards the front of the boat was glued and screwed. I glued the boat where it would touch then glued the bulkhead then Paige aligned it for me as well as handed me ¾ inch screws and I screwed it into place.The quarter knees (Image 1) and breast hook were then glued and screwed with the same techniques. Brandon also started to block plane and fit the skeg (image 4) and I’m guessing that he’s going to reach similar difficulties that the stubborn bulkhead gave it. To finish class, Ian, Shane and I flipped the boat over and started to putty the holes and indents in the bottom of the boat. It was just like spackling really. That pretty much summed up week 10 in the shop with our Echo Bay Dory Skiff.

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4

Default Attaching the Keel and Skeg

This class was very productive. We first finished fitting the breast hook and quarter knees with glue and screws. After this I worked on measuring and cutting out the keel, while brandon worked on measuring and cutting out the skeg. While this was happening, the rest of the class was busy with other projects like attaching bulkheads and rub rails, along with block planing the bottom plank to be flush with the side planks. It was interesting to see how the table saw works for the first time. I am glad that I got this experience and some safety tips from Shane so that when I use one in the future I won't cut my hand off. next week we will be doing some more finishing touches. Attaching the keel and skeg will be among our main focuses. I am excited about how close we are getting to our final product, and am eager to get her in the water!

Blog Post Week Ten:

This week was the beginning of the end. We were all working in one big group rather than being split off. At the very beginning of class, Gabe and I drilled and screwed the breast hook into place. We planed the breast hook so it was smooth and had a rounded edge. Once that was completed, as a class we glued and screwed the rub rails back onto each side of the boat. We really showed teamwork while doing this task because it took all of us to paint the glue on before it dried, then three of us had to hold the rub rail in place while the other two people screwed it in. By the end of the class period, we had screwed and glued the breast hook, rub rails, and bulkheads into the boat. Everything was coming together so quickly!

This class period was filled with communication and teamwork while bending and reattaching the rub rails onto the boat. It was tough to hold them into place because of the resistance the wood was giving while being bent. Other than that minor arm work out, it was such a nice day to be working on our boat. We were all in short sleeves with the big garage door open to the shop. I am ecstatic to continue to add the final touches on our boat before we start painting!

Bulkhead Headache

This past week’s class was very aggravating to me. I was tasked with fitting the AFT Bulkhead to the hull. When I originally started working on the side planks. We drew on lines for where the bulkheads would go. So when I found that the Bulkhead didn’t match up I was a little perplexed. However, I wasn’t to worried. I realized that taking a few measurements and block planning the sides and bottom I could get it to fit. Unfortunately, after almost two hours, a dozen of so attempts to fit the bulkhead, and some help from Jenni; I began to get extremely irritated and gave up. So I helped some other students apply glue and epoxy to the rub rails, so that they could be screwed and glued back to the hull. Near the end of the class, Carly and I spent the rest of class spackling over the holes of the screws and and gaps we found so that the hull would be a smoothed and sealed surface.

Default Building the Skeg

This week in class I worked on screwing in the quarter knees. This was a lot harder than it sounds because the wood wasn't easy to drill and it also had to be an angle. Despite it being a bit of a challenge we managed to screw them on without any screw tips poking through the other side. Then while the rest of the class was screwing and glueing parts of the boat I was working on making the skeg and keel. I mainly worked on the skeg. I used the band saw to cut out the shape. I had to adjust the initial shape of it so that it would fit the boat as close to perfect as I could get it. I used the band saw to trim it to the right shape. I then used a spoke shave to smoothen out the sides of the skeg. I cain't wait for next week to put the skeg and keel on the boat.