Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: UNE Student Echo Bay Dory Skiff Build

Default Re: UNE Student Echo Bay Dory Skiff Build

Thank you all for posting this. I'm looking forward for the launch !

I'll Keel Over!

This week we worked on the keel and gluing the seat cleats! Before we did that though we hand planed and sanded all the sharp edges of the boat to give them a slight round over. This is so the paint can adhere to it better and no one will get hurt on a sharp point. We also puttied over the screws and any gaps between the side planks and rub rails. To figure out where the keel was going to go, we flipped the boat upside down and made a chalk like down the center. We then worked on screwing and gluing the keel together. While a group did that, another cut, screwed, and glued the seat cleats onto the boat. We also were able to plane the aft bulkhead to fit the shape of the boat, so that was screwed and glued as well!

It was another week of everyone on the boat at once. Using the hand plane is getting easier as we keep using it to shape the boat. it's cool that we got the seat cleats in because that means we're one step closer to finishing the boat! It's a big relief that we were able to fix the aft bulkhead and move on with it.

Default Re: Screwing and Glueing

Week Eleven Blog Post:

We have all learned so much about the art of boat building. I would say each week it becomes easier and easier to work as a team to meet our final goal. During week eleven, we all came together to sand and plane the uneven or sharp pieces of the boat until we got the approval from Shane, our instructor. From there, a small group of us puttied all the cracks and holes. We made sure to press down firmly on the putty knife to be as accurate and precise as possible. Towards the end of class, I had joined a smaller group who was working on the keel of the boat. There was in issue with drilling and screwing one of the screws into the base of the keel, but after much screeching from the power tools we were able to set it into place. We were supposed to add the fiber glass component to the boat during week eleven, but we didnít quite get there and will save it for the beginning of week twelve.
    I know I mention how excited I am to finish the boat from week to week but I just really want to express that emotion to my readers. There are about 2-3 more work periods and then we are painting the boat and launching it! Time has passed so quickly. It feels like just yesterday that we were learning how to cut to the line. Iím a little upset that the end of the semester is coming so fast because I would have loved to start my independent project of making oars but college is keeping me very busy and I wouldnít have time. With that being said, I would love to connect further with the Compass Project and see what else I get involved in.

Default Keel and Skeg

This week we worked as a class to prep the boat for fiberglass. We put putty on the screw holes and any place that was uneven. Then we sanded and made sure everything was flush and smooth. After that we broke up into smaller groups to work on different sections. I worked on marking the keel location on the bottom of the boat and attaching the keel and skeg. To mark it, we created a chalk line down the center of the boat and then drew a line off the centerline that was half of the keel width away (see picture). This will allow us to line up one side the keel to make sure it is centered. After that, we centered the skeg on the keel and dry fitted them together (see picture). Next we unscrewed them, glued them together using epoxy, and then screwed them back together. This was a little challenging, especially when trying to make sure there were no gaps. At first we screwed them together and didnít use clamps, this wasnít a very good idea because there were many gaps left in between the screws. Once we saw that, we unscrewed them again and then put clamps, which helped get rid of the gaps (see picture). There was a lot of trial and error involved with putting these two pieces together (making sure everything was centered, fitting the screws so they were flush, and making sure there were no gaps). Even though it was challenging, I think we did a good job of problem solving and working together to find solutions. We only have a few weeks of class left, and it is very rewarding and exciting to see all of the pieces come together!

Almost Floating to Heaven, During Week 11
    During week 11, we worked to our max in the shop, we were very efficient with our time. Once there, Shane gave us the rundown of jobs that were next on the list and we got crackin’. INitially we prepped the boat and puttied the holes and indents. Several of us grabbed parts for sanding and planing, while Jenni removed the cross spall off of the midship frame (Image 1). I used a saw and cut the stem so it was in line with the boat. That took awhile and was quite strenuous. For awhile I helped sand, but then Jenni got tired of planing the stem, so I took over. There was a great deal of unevenness by the bow, so I planed it as much as I could to make it flush. That was also exhausting. For most of class, the majority of us sanded the boat (Image 2).Next, Shane gave RIhanna and I the job of cutting, screwing, and gluing all of the seat cleats. I mostly took the lead in measuring, marking, screwing, and gluing while RIhanna cut them out. Each seat cleat was different because they were placed on different parts of the boat, so I had to configure how they would fit. It was a little mind boggling at first, but I soon got the jist and was on a roll. Just as class was ending, with help, I got the last seat cleat glued and screwed. Thursday was a great day for getting things checked off the list and the boat keeps looking better every week (Image 3). Just 3 more weeks in the shop until we put it on the water and test it out!
    Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3

Last edited by Carly; 04-13-2017 at 01:05 PM.

the day there was dust everywhere
    planning, sanding were only some of the things we did. People were also put to the job of putting all the holes. People were also put to the task of starting on the seats for the boat. This weeks jobs involved much vigorous activity with all the sanding and such.
    Last edited by jellyfish; 04-13-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Default Screws are a pain sometimes

Last week in class I started out by sanding and smoothening the sides of the boat with a sander so that we could fiberglass the boat. After I helped use a vacuum to help clean up some of the dust left from sanding. Next I worked on screwing and gluing the skeg to the keel. Before I got to work on that I had to snap a line down the middle of the bottom plank using a chalk line.Then I had to mark up the keel and keg so we could line them up properly. After that we drilled some holes in the keel to make it easier to drill into the skeg. Then we drilled the holes into the skeg. Next we drove the screws in. On the last screw the head of the screw snapped off just as we drove the screw in there. Then we tried using a bigger screw because we were out of the other screw that we used. Unfortunately because somebody put the wrong sized drill bit in the wrong spot we were trying to drive a screw into a hole thinner than the screw. This took us a while to figure out thats why the screw didn't want to go all the way in. Then after we finally got it in we had to unscrew it all so we could glue them together. So we quickly glued the skeg onto the the keel and drove the screws back in. Im looking forward to putting the completed piece of the skeg and keel onto the boat.

Prepping for Fiberglass

As the class gets ever closer to the launch date of our echo bay dory skiff, we keep making strides to reach that goal on time. During the last class, we worked to prep the hull for fiberglass tape that would go on the seams. For the fiberglass tape effectively, we needed to create a smooth surface where there would be no gaps. So we applied putty to the remaining screw holes, the gaps in the seams, and any areas that would cause problems with the tape. We then sanded down the surface and cleaned off the outside of the hull. We then flipped the boat over, where we unscrewed the dry fit bulkheads and applied epoxy and re-screwed them in. we also created seat cleats, that we also glue and screwed to the hull.

Keel Beams!

This week we screwed and glued the keel to the bottom of the boat, applied the fiber glass to the bottom edge of the boat, and started working on the seats. It took about three people to hold the keel in place while two others screwed it together. We screwed from the inside of the boat out so they we had to flip the boat over and the people screwing went underneath. It was important to hold the keel in place and put pressure on it where it was being screwed so there would be no air gaps between it and the bottom of the boat.

Once the keel was on, we started working on the pattern to the aft and fore seats. At first I didn't really understand why we had to make a pattern but Shane explained it. It's basically so we can get the exact measurements for the seats. We took scrap would and super glued it together to form the pattern. Once we had the pattern we traced it over a big piece of plywood and used the jig saw to cut it out. We had to adjust the jig saw to the angle of the side planks where the seats were going to go.

You are learning some good boatbuilding techniques with Shane. Nice work.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Boat Building Blog Post Week Twelve:

This week in boat building we were adding the finishing touches to the inside of the boat, along with some minor details on the outside of it. In the beginning of class, the two shortest people were chosen to go under the boat to drill, screw, and glue the keel into place. Those two people happened to be Emma and myself. Instead of following the traditional steps of attaching the keel, we jumped ahead to gluing first and then drilling and screwing. Gabe, Emma, and I were then tasked to make a seat pattern for our boat. We were puzzled on how to do that until Shane showed us how. It is quite an intricate process. A couple key steps in making a seat pattern would include:
    1. Identifying the important points you want to outline with the wood
    2. Make a general layout of the seat with strategically placed small planks of wood
    3. Hot glue them together
    4. Trace and cut out the seat
    There is a picture above that shows what our pattern was for the seat in the back of the boat. After I made the seat pattern for the back of the boat, Emma and Gabe continued on to do the seat pattern for the front of the boat. I helped with spring cleaning of the workshop. At the end of class, the fiber glass was added to the bottom of the boat and was allowed to dry over the weekend.
    As Iíve said time and time again I am super excited to see this boat come to finish. Next week, we are going to be discussing colors for our boat. It seems like everyone in the class is excited for this. I get a feeling our boat is going to be exotic and colorful, from what Iíve heard. This semester has gone by so quickly and I cannot believe we only have a couple weeks left. The last thing I am really hoping for is to have a nice day for our launch!

The week we cleaned
    this week we glue and screwed the keel in to place, this job was given to the two shorter people and they had to go under the boat to complete this task. Other things that happened was figuring out the seat patterns which seemed like a tetris induced headache. We also added fiber glass to the bottom of the boat, which moves quiet easily and becomes transparent when glue is added. Other then that the usual sanding, putting was done.

Last edited by jellyfish; 04-18-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Week 12, Nothing Was Done By Ourselves
    During week 12, things got messy. Right off the bat, we all did final prep for the fiber glass. It would line the rubrails and bottom of the Transom, so we focused on puttying and sanding (Image 1) those areas down so it was flush. Brandon and I puttied while the seats were being worked on by others. For the front seat, I measured the angle using a bevel gauge and the actual triangular shape was already shaped out, as seen in Image 2. They traced out the triangular shape of the seat, then using the angle I measured with the bevel gauge, angled the table saw so the cut would be the same angle. The rear seat was more complex, so Shane, Rihanna and Gabe were working on it together. Once the seats werenít the focus anymore, Ian, Shane, Gabe, and I fiberglassed the boat. We put on gloves, cut out the fiberglass, mixed the epoxy at a 2:1 ratio, then we started the difficult part, applying the epoxy. Our goal was to have the fiberglass be translucent. For this, we discovered that the best technique was to lather the boat where the fiberglass touched it, then rub it in until it was translucent. To do this, we decided Ian would paint the epoxy on and I used my gloved hands to rub in the glue. I also made sure there were no bubbles and the fiberglass was taut to the boat (Image 4). At this point, we just all needed to wait for it for it to dry, so we left class slightly early.

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4

Default It's all in the Wrist

This week in class I worked on a few projects. I assisted in screwing and gluing the keel to the back of the boat. My job was to hold down the keel as close to the boat as I could. This was an energy tasking job because it was requiring a lot of force to keep the keel down. After the keel was attached I got the wonderful opportunity to putty the spots where the screws were so that the surface would be flat and didn't have any holes. This was my first time puttying at first I wasn't doing a great job, but after some helpful criticism I got the hang of it. After puttying all the screw holes that needed puttying, I assisted in making the seats. We used the jigsaw to cut out the seats. At one point the wood started to smoke and almost catch fire, but we were able to finish the cut before it was able to catch fire. I am looking forward to putting on the seats next class.

We had a very productive class last week, tackling a multiple projects at the same time. First, we all worked together attaching the skeg and keel to the bottom plank of out boat with glue and screws. After this we took a oddly efficient approach to creating outlines for our seats. This approach involved laying sticks down on top of one another in what looks like a random order, when actually it was measuring out points for each corner of our seat. Although this technique seemed totally crazy to me at first, I will admit that it worked excellently and is a technique I will most likely use in future woodworking projects. Lastly, we fiberglassed all edges joining the bottom plank and side planks for structural support and to prevent the chance of leaks. I am very excited to begin priming and painting out boat next week!

Default Seat Patterns

This week we started class by screwing and gluing the keel to the bottom of the boat. We had already marked the placement last week so all we had to do was mark where the screws were going and screw and glue it in place. Drilling the holes and driving the screws was a little challenging because the boat was flipped over so the other half of the class could prep for fiberglass. This meant that we had to go underneath the boat to drill and drive the screws in (see picture). I wasnít too excited to go underneath but it turned out to be pretty cool and felt like I was working in a different environment. After attaching the keel (see picture), I spent the rest of the class working on seat patterns. To do this, Shane showed us a really interesting way to make a pattern that we could use to create the seats. We spread small pieces of plywood around where the seat would be and made sure that they hit ďcritical pointsĒ such as the edges/ends of the seats (see pictures). Then we hot glued these pieces together so that we could trace and mark out the points on the wood we were using for the seats. After tracing and connecting the points we cut out the seats. At first, these seat patterns seemed very confusing and I didnít quite understand how we could go from the pattern to an outline of the actual seat. However, after doing the first one with help from Shane it made a lot more sense and is definitely a cool and much easier way to create the correct seat shape.

Our Skiff is Going To Keel It.
    Last class we worked on touching up the hull, gluing and screwing the keel, and the future seats. The first thing that I did was sand down some of the rough spots on the outside of the hull. I smooth and rounded the corners where the side planks meet the bottom. If there was excess putty or glue anywhere, I took that off. Then I helped keep the keel bent onto the bottom of the boat as best I could to keep it aligned properly, while other students glued and screwed it onto the hull. Just another step closer to a completed product. We then flipped the boat over and began working on the inside. We had previously dry fit the seat cleats, so we screwed and glued those in. We that used various scraps of wood to create platelets for the seats. We then took our platelets and traced an outline on a piece of plywood to be cut out. I then spent some time tidying up the workspace. I can’t wait to see what we do in the next class.

I am always fascinated to hear peoples' unique interpretations and reflections about a shared experience.

We could have spent an entire class period talking about and practicing the process of making seat patterns, instead we plowed right through it, without any real pre-teaching. Several students touched upon many of the critical details about making the hot-glued seat patterns, the purpose of which was solely to define the "critical points" needed to create a profile of each seat.

One important detail, that hasn't been mentioned yet, is that we shimmed up the patterns by the thickness of the seats, so that the underside of the pattern represented the top edge of the seat. This enables you to cut the correct bevel on the sides of the seats using the bandsaw, which only tilts in one direction. The shims under the patterns make the process look more complicated/messy than it actually is.

Stay tuned for lots of great boatbuilding posts as we approach the bittersweet culmination of the semester.