Week Three, Working With Trees to Make TheeRound 3 of Boatbuilding was filled with different projects. Ian, Jenni and I resumed our work with the Bulkheads, while Paige worked on the stem and our other classmates finished the Transom. The three of us were given a piece of marine grade plywood from which we would cut out both bulkheads. Referencing the blueprint (shown below in picture 1) we measured them using framing squares, combination squares and regular rulers. As we checked our measurements many times over, we confused ourselves multiple times. It was frustrating and we actually had to erase and remeasure the complete aft bulkhead one time, but the measurements were finally perfect. Also notable about the measurements, there was a part of the aft bulkhead (shaded in picture 2) that definitely took the most time to understand. There were no measurements for the little area in the corners of the bulkheads where the chine logs would eventually be located. Because there were no measurements and the area was like a parallelogram, it took awhile to compute the measurements. We eventually figured out how to compute it efficiently, but it was difficult when we first tried to understand it.
After measuring was complete, it was onward to cutting. The horizontal pieces were long and we knew a bandsaw would be difficult to get accuracy with cutting to the line, so we used a table saw (shown in picture 3 by Jenni). For the other sides, almost 45 degree angles of the bulkheads, we used a chop saw (shown in picture 6) by Jenni. Lastly, for the spaces where the chine logs will go, we used the bandsaw (shown in picture 5 by Ian). Bulkhead #1 and the Aft bulkhead were complete.
While we were making the bulkheads, the stem and transom were finished and the transom and stem groups started putting the boat together. Using a drill, a pre drill bit, a phillips bit, and wax screws, the side planks were attached to the stem, the midship frame was measured for placement and attached in the middle of the boat, and finally the transom to the back. The three of us jumped in at about the time that the transom was being measured for placement on the back of the boat. Once both side planks were attached to the transom, class time was just about up. It was a great way to end class, starting to see what our awesome boat will look like (picture 8).
Picture 1Picture 2