Thread: Two Luggers At Play | Wooden Boats Sailing & Rowing

Default Two Luggers At Play | Wooden Boats Sailing & Rowing

In 2007 I finished designing this boat, in 2011 I started building and 2015 I finished her. A good friend/colleague of mine built himself another boat which you can see in the video. My youngest son made the video(both camera and editing).

Default Re: Two Luggers At Play | Wooden Boats Sailing & Rowing

Very nice ! A big little boat !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Very nice. you are to be congratulated.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

They look good! Do you have drawings or a stuyplan you can share?

Hello Frank

Beautiful video of great boats. I too would love to see the lines and would like to buy basic drawings/plans. I sent you a message some time ago via your website form requesting information but never heard anything.

Regards
    Foster

That made my morning. Thank you

Wonderful! Well done.

Very nice boats. Very raid-able. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by flo-mo View Post
    Thanks!

Very nice! power full hull under sail but still a delight to row! around here we call that hull form a Dory Skiff, very popular as working and pleasure craft during the later half of the 1800's our boats have a little more rake to their stems which looses a little waterline but keeps them very dry even in a nasty chop. Ive seen photos of fleets of larger 18'ers racing about 1890 with big cat/ sprit rigs... Thanks for posting.

Guys, thanks for the compliments, and my apologies for not answering mail. I drew the hull long time ago and then turned it over to Klaas Bes, naval architect, who did a beautifull job in fairing the lines. At the time I wanted to build her 'stitch-and-glue' and Klaas developed the panel shapes. I never built her that way but instead in glued clinker, crisper lines, more the proper thing. For plans mail to Klaas Bes: mail@besyachtdesign.nl. In the meantime you can see the lines linked by Flo-mo and read my blog on building her.
    http://oarandsail.nl/artikel-my-own-...hp?language=nl

Very nice, they scream along!

Plenty of wind, flat sea, doesn't get better. I love the spinnaker. Most traditional boat rigs are well matched for sail up wind but often can use help downwind. Viele dank.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Plenty of wind, flat sea, doesn't get better. I love the spinnaker. Most traditional boat rigs are well matched for sail up wind but often can use help downwind. Viele dank.
    Indeed plenty of wind and we had 1 reef in. I think our boats, being double-enders on the waterline, are the non-planing type and the mainsail of 10 sq. meter would be generous but the other skipper is much younger and far more active than I am, and also a sailmaker. He could not resist trying out his spi. I am happy that with 2 similar boat we may do a few experiments and find out more on efficiency of 4 cornered sails next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    First I wanted to leave this part out but then I thought it might improve the story. And it shows how easy temporary repairs can be. Frank

A testament to the strength of your mizzen mast. Perhaps too strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    A testament to the strength of your mizzen mast. Perhaps too strong.
    And I thought that the transom was really braced allright, with glue/kit, 3" screws in 1 1/2"oak, mizzen is just an old windsurf mast, surprise...Frank

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    And I thought that the transom was really braced allright, with glue/kit, 3" screws in 1 1/2"oak, mizzen is just an old windsurf mast, surprise...Frank
    Oh, dear. Not so good.

If all goes as planned, however, my mizzen will also be an old windsurf mast.
    CLC Skerry = "Vingilothiel"

I'm glad you were able to repair it, but I'm not all that surprised. Work=force x distance, and even a small mast is a long lever.

Makes me very ​careful when stepping/unstepping my mast not to let it pry against the partner...

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Alan, my main mast is an old polyester flag pole, mizzen old surf mast, I'm addicted to using cheap old stuff, a friend recently had to replace his beautifull birdsmouth Caledonia Yawl mast and paid 15 times what I paid for the flag pole (€66). But sometimes I tell people its temporary till I find time for the real thing.
    Tom, you are right about forces, moments, cantilevers, and I never thought a stupid thing like that would happen. I thought my boat looked so pretty whith the mizzen and the ensign flying, the two of us rowing. Vanity perhaps but that is one of the reasons to go to the Morbihan.
    Frank

Glad you used the story! Very fun. Whatever you did to affix the partner and mast step to the transom is what you need to do to the transom to the boat! A buoyancy compartment/thwart combo that includes the transom and the sides would re-enforce the entire stern and add some float too.

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    Glad you used the story! Very fun. Whatever you did to affix the partner and mast step to the transom is what you need to do to the transom to the boat! A buoyancy compartment/thwart combo that includes the transom and the sides would re-enforce the entire stern and add some float too.
    glad people like it. I have thought about that thwart/combination combo, but I also wanted the boat to look a bit like an old Captains Gig and I wanted to get her on the water asap. And I trust my Guardian Angel. But I admit that at one time in the Morbihan I was a bit scared: We ended up in a maelstrom and were tossed about. A lady in a Mirror was thrown against us and when I saw her later she hadn't even noticed it. English couple in new boat capsized. Happily the sauveteurs helped everyone.
    in retrospect I think Ross Lillistone was right about thwarts: Only athwartships and you can sit comfortable in the boat with all the weight in the right place. But I also want to put a platform there for a small tent and therefore needed some timber lenghtwise. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    Alan, my main mast is an old polyester flag pole, mizzen old surf mast, I'm addicted to using cheap old stuff, a friend recently had to replace his beautifull birdsmouth Caledonia Yawl mast and paid 15 times what I paid for the flag pole (€66). But sometimes I tell people its temporary till I find time for the real thing.
    Tom, you are right about forces, moments, cantilevers, and I never thought a stupid thing like that would happen. I thought my boat looked so pretty whith the mizzen and the ensign flying, the two of us rowing. Vanity perhaps but that is one of the reasons to go to the Morbihan.
    Frank
    When I finished off my skerry I built a mast, square in section because the partners were square, out of laminated pine. It worked but it was awfully flexible. So then I built a much more sophisticated wood mast with scarfed joints that didn't flex so much. In a big gust, the mast step epoxy bond to the hull failed, the mast went over and destroyed the partners, and the mast cracked. Well, that was quite the repair job. The new mast step has about 5x the gluing surface with the hull panels than the old one. As I was doing the work, I discovered that a friend here on the WBF has a Welsford Walkabout and he had aluminum masts, which he'd paid to have powder-coated. They looked abolutely great. So I went down to our local metal supply place and found out that a fairly substantial aluminum pole, 15 feet long, was going to cost me about $50 US. It was that or spent another $30 on wood and a couple of weekends making another wood mast.

I bought the aluminum. I plugged the base with some redwood I had left over from making cabers for the Highland Games and made a foot-long mast cap, drilled and slotted for a halyard at the top, and tapped that into the tube. It's glue'd in with 3m 5200, it will NEVER come out. Now I have a lightweight 15 foot mast that is completely indestructible, floats, took me about 4 hours to make, and cost about the same as a wood mast. I suppose I should paint it, hmmm.
    CLC Skerry = "Vingilothiel"

Jon Wilson paints his mast with faux woodgrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    When I finished off my skerry I built a mast, square in section because the partners were square, out of laminated pine. It worked but it was awfully flexible. So then I built a much more sophisticated wood mast with scarfed joints that didn't flex so much. In a big gust, the mast step epoxy bond to the hull failed, the mast went over and destroyed the partners, and the mast cracked. Well, that was quite the repair job. The new mast step has about 5x the gluing surface with the hull panels than the old one. As I was doing the work, I discovered that a friend here on the WBF has a Welsford Walkabout and he had aluminum masts, which he'd paid to have powder-coated. They looked abolutely great. So I went down to our local metal supply place and found out that a fairly substantial aluminum pole, 15 feet long, was going to cost me about $50 US. It was that or spent another $30 on wood and a couple of weekends making another wood mast.

I bought the aluminum. I plugged the base with some redwood I had left over from making cabers for the Highland Games and made a foot-long mast cap, drilled and slotted for a halyard at the top, and tapped that into the tube. It's glue'd in with 3m 5200, it will NEVER come out. Now I have a lightweight 15 foot mast that is completely indestructible, floats, took me about 4 hours to make, and cost about the same as a wood mast. I suppose I should paint it, hmmm.

Ok, Alan you beat me there but my mizzen came free. I have found a good answer: The good thing when one item is very strong that you don't have to repair boat and mast. If I were you I would paint the mast black, so people think is expensive carbon. If you paint it like wood they might ask you why is is not tapered. But seriously, I should also reinforce my maststep, but always postpone it and worry when it is gusty. Btw. a week ago we had a session to complete the plans and next week again. Cheers, Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Jon Wilson paints his mast with faux woodgrain.
    Yes, if he does that we can do what we like, don't have to be holier than the pope. Frank