Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Calendar Islands Yawl build in NY

Default Re: Calendar Islands Yawl build in NY

Thanks John H. I have gotten all kinds of great ideas on how to outfit this boat and special details to add from your log and posts and the video of you and Waxwing on OffcenterHarbor. She is a beauty! The CIY has some similar characteristics, in a lighter, not quite as traditional hull. I have been thinking for a while on how to do a tent and your Mk III is a great design. I'll be at SRR in July, hope to meet you there.

Clint -- not sure I will have the CIY done for SRR, but I'm working away with that possibility in mind. I would love to show it off! If not, my dory will be my ride for SRR.

Spring is here! And the opportunity to work with the garage door open, and take tools and timber outside to do other projects.

I took advantage of a weekend at home and a guest with some able hands to help me out to get the last two planks on. A great feeling to get "the whiskey plank" mounted. Cleaning up goop underneath the boat after gluing is NOT my favorite job!!! Trashed some work clothes, but that's why they are work clothes. The hull is starting to look pretty good:

so a sip of whiskey is in order

Mediocre weather on Saturday allowed me to rip my rubrails out of some Philippine mahogany I bought recently (18 foot board - no scarfing!). Good weather on Sunday allowed me to put a first coat of varnish on all my spruce spars and oars that I made in January:

I may get this boat in the water and sailing this summer after all!

Left to right on the spars:

hollow box-section boom - solid round yard - solid ovalized mizzen mast - squarish sprit boom for mizzen - 9'9" oars made from plans/patterns from CLC. All from sitka spruce. I used Minwax "Helmsman" varnish from the local hardware store for the first coat, it's actually pretty good stuff, but will switch to Pettit Captains Varnish to finish these. I like the darker color and it applies pretty easily.

The oars were already sealed in epoxy (except for the handles, those will get tung oil). I'm not sure whether that was a good idea or not. I wanted the blades epoxied for edge hardness, and had a little extra so covered the whole thing. It will make them a bit better sealed, but dents may cause water entrapment. It's a lot of extra work too. It I did not epoxy the spars.

How many clamps does it take to glue on a rubrail? As many as you own! In my case, I counted 53... Tomorrow I'll move the clamps to the other side.

I'm using Philippine mahogany for the rails. True mahogany would be nicer, but it's too darn expensive for this modest craft. I was surprised to see that it was cheaper than the sitka spruce (spars and oars) and western red cedar (floorboards) that I bought.

I enjoyed my stop at Jim's to see the boat and his building space. Even as the designer, I was impressed with the volume of the hull!

I also took note of the building space...it is tight with only a couple feet all around except at the transom where there is a couple more. I always felt that kits lent themselves to small workspaces.

Jim's doing a great job and has hardly bugged me with questions, so I stopped by and bugged him. Thanks, Jim.

2017-04-29_11-26-04 by Clint Chase, on Flickr
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

So Clint stopped by on his way passing by New York to see how the boat is coming. I was amazed when he told me that this was the first time he had actually seen a Calendar Islands Yawl in the flesh... and he designed it! Shows the power of computer design (in the hands of a skilled practitioner).

Over the past few days I have gotten both rubrails and now the stem attached. The plans call for a laminated outer stem but I chose to just use two pieces of 3/4" stock scarfed in the middle. It worked, with generous amounts of epoxy putty to fill in for my less-than-perfect joinery between the stem and the hull.

Looking good Jim! To think that when we did the mast, the boat was still just a strong back!
    My Goat Island Skiff Project Photos:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/999065...7648295059621/

Jim, Nice work on the outer stem. I will be using your method on future kits...simple and plenty strong. What was your approach without the stem already there to fit the rubrails to?
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Clint, my sequence was

1) When attaching each plank, extend the plank about 3/8" past the end of the inner stem
    2) fill the channel between the planks (the front of the stem) with epoxy - I used squeezeout from each planking operation
    3) when all the planks are on, fair the stem curve and make a flat/square face on the front of the bow, 3/4" in width
    4) attach rubrails to the sheer planks, with rails extending about 2" in front of the plank ends. A 1 1/4"#10 bronze screw was beefy enough to pull the tenacious end of the rubrail up tight against the stem, plus zillions of clamps along the sheer
    5) mark off the 3/4" width of the slot for the outer stem on the rubrails, and cut (carefully) along the plane of the where the outer stem sides will be with a Japanese saw to make the notch for the outer stem. Then cut to length and round off the fronts of the rails BEFORE attaching the stem
    6) Use the pattern from the kit to check the fit along the curve, and your stem stock to check the slot width
    7) Cut the pattern into two pieces with a scarf angle cut, to get decent grain orientation along each piece
    8) Trace and cut the two pieces out of the stem stock
    9) Dry fit the two pieces in place and shape as appropriate to fit the curve (that took a while)
    10) Drill, screw and glue the stem pieces in place (including gluing the scarf joint, in place). With lots of goop to fill the gaps!

Here is the finished product. I think I will leave the rubrails and the outer stem bright, while the hull planks will be painted.

And here is the scarf joint. Not fine joinery, but still looks decent.

Busy weekend working like mad in hopes of getting this boat ready for the Small Reach Regatta in Maine in July. My boat club opened for the season on Saturday -- oh holy day!!! But the weather was sketchy so I resisted the temptation to get out on the water in the kayak or the dory, and kept my shoulder to the wheel on the CIY build.

I got the skeg fastened & filleted on,

and starting prepping for taking the boat off the strongback and flipping it over. Next weekend I have enlisted my son and a few of his friends for a boat-flipping party where we will pick it up off the frame, carry it outdoors, flip it over, and carry it back in. IOn the plans, Clint has included very handy cradle patterns for holding the boat right side up on the strongback using two of the in-place molds. So I got out the jigsaw and hacked out one of the cradles from a no-longer-needed chipboard mold. This is mold 2 looking forward:

And traced the outline of the second one, frame 5 looking aft, and will cut it when we lift the boat off:

I also got the spars zapped with one more coat of varnish, got the boards for seats, inwales and floorboards planed to thickness (new Dewalt benchtop planer is a really sweet piece of machinery!) and got the first coat of paint on the dagger and rudder blade. I can almost smell the salt air...

Sounds like you're zipping along. Lots of work ahead of you, but the goal of the SRR can be an inspiration.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

A flurry of activities last week and weekend -- signing an acquisition deal for a client, son's 18th birthday, Redsox game at Fenway, daughter's college graduation (!), Mothers' day -- meant taking a break from building. But 4 or 5 evenings this week of tablesawing, bandsawing, planing, routing, spokeshaving and sanding turned a board into this tiller assembly:

The wood is ash. If it's strong enough for baseball bats it should make a nice tiller. The tiller is hinged into the cheeks which bolt onto the rudder, so that you can flip it up and out of the way when not sailing and use the aft tank as a seat or part of the sleeping platform:

By flipping it up like this: