Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Calendar Islands Yawl build in NY

Default Re: Calendar Islands Yawl build in NY

Beautiful!!
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Yes! Looking really nice.
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

I have a great fondness for this design, and you're doing a great job with the build. Looks beautiful!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Larchmont Jim View Post
    Thanks Rich, you are overestimating my degree of perfectionism and understimating my impatience to get this boat built and out on the water! I think i can fill those little gaps with some of the same stock and with the grain aligned so that the patch will be almost invisible -- kind of like bunging a screw hole. It' a question of which test one is trying to pass - looks good at 10 feet, or 3 ft, or 1. I think that would pass the 3 foot test.
    My latest boat is a true 18 footer. It's 18 feet long and looks great from 18 feet away. Get any closer and the defects start to show up...
    Your breasthook solution came out just fine. On my steam bent coamings, I ended up having to slip in a 1/16" filler. It's next to invisible.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Yes Rich, the patch on the breasthook is only visible at 18 inches so I am feeling ok with it.

Today was a great day on the water -- kayaking in the morning, sailing in the afternoon. With some boatbuilding in between. Today I glassed the inside of the bottom plank and garboards forward of the midships bulkhead. The plans don't call for this but I thought that with only 6mm plywood on the bottom, a little extra strength couldn't hurt. Plus, this is where the mast step goes and the plans do call for 2 layers of 6-oz glass right under the step. So I just did the whole thing and two layers at the front end.

Masking tape at the edge of the plank makes it easy to cut the glass when it has semi-cured and peel it off, as you can see here with one side cut and one not yet:

When done and with one fill coat of epoxy on, it looks pretty neat: