Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: Calendar Islands Yawl build in NY

Default Re: Calendar Islands Yawl build in NY

Yes! Looking really nice.
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

I have a great fondness for this design, and you're doing a great job with the build. Looks beautiful!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larchmont Jim View Post
    Thanks Rich, you are overestimating my degree of perfectionism and understimating my impatience to get this boat built and out on the water! I think i can fill those little gaps with some of the same stock and with the grain aligned so that the patch will be almost invisible -- kind of like bunging a screw hole. It' a question of which test one is trying to pass - looks good at 10 feet, or 3 ft, or 1. I think that would pass the 3 foot test.
    My latest boat is a true 18 footer. It's 18 feet long and looks great from 18 feet away. Get any closer and the defects start to show up...
    Your breasthook solution came out just fine. On my steam bent coamings, I ended up having to slip in a 1/16" filler. It's next to invisible.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Yes Rich, the patch on the breasthook is only visible at 18 inches so I am feeling ok with it.

Today was a great day on the water -- kayaking in the morning, sailing in the afternoon. With some boatbuilding in between. Today I glassed the inside of the bottom plank and garboards forward of the midships bulkhead. The plans don't call for this but I thought that with only 6mm plywood on the bottom, a little extra strength couldn't hurt. Plus, this is where the mast step goes and the plans do call for 2 layers of 6-oz glass right under the step. So I just did the whole thing and two layers at the front end.

Masking tape at the edge of the plank makes it easy to cut the glass when it has semi-cured and peel it off, as you can see here with one side cut and one not yet:

When done and with one fill coat of epoxy on, it looks pretty neat:

Two weekends away, at Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival in upstate NY, then to Maine for the Small Reach Regatta. Since the CIY is firmly still in the building cradle, we took the dory up to the SRR. A good time was had by all, great weather, no fog, awesome. SRR at Pond Island, Blue Hill Bay:

Now back to work. And work on the boat build. Two weekends of drudgery sanding, filling holes, more sanding, filling holes some more, filleting, and sanding. I tried this tape trick to keep the epoxy putty in the holes and not everywhere else. Masking tape with holes punched in it:

There were a whole lot of holes! The boat looked like someone who had had a really bad time shaving.

Whether it saved me time or not, I'm not sure. Anyway with holes filled I proceeded to sanding. And filleting.

A stabilizing plate has to be screwed glued and filleted to the front of the daggerboard trunk:

And after all that, the boat looks pretty much the same as it did 3 weeks ago. But I'm actually getting closer to launch date.

The yawl is coming along nicely.
    Is your dory in that pic? What design is it?

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    The yawl is coming along nicely.
    Is your dory in that pic? What design is it?
    My dory is indeed in the picture, but among the 40+ (!) boats on the beach, it's hard to pick out. It's a CLC "Northeaster" dory, a great boat. There were 4 Northeasters in the fleet, plus one of the larger CLC "Southwesters", an Oughtred "John Dory", a Swampscott dory built from John Gardner's plans, a traditionally built Swampscott sailing dory, and Clint Chase's "Deblois Street" dory. Here is mine (with the red pennant), along with a sister-ship.

[IMG]Here it is, along with a sister-ship.[/IMG]

Photo didn't post:

Very nice, thank you. I was looking at a couple of NE Dories online, both sold before I saw them. I have since bought another 17' sailing dory.

Floor timbers are set in place with lots of goo... I have found that floor tiles left over from some long-ago renovation project are perfect for gravity-clamping epoxy jobs.

Clint says that he didn't intend these "timbers" which are really only 9mm plywood, to have any structural function, just to hold up the floorboards. However, I think that epoxied firmly in place they definitely stiffen the 6mm bottom plan and garboards, which I have left unglassed on the inside in this after section as per the plans:

I finally got around to gluing in the last of the cleats to hold up the aft tank tops -- tricky because gluing to a curved surface and without any ability to apply direct clamping pressure. Indirect clamping did the trick, and the tank tops are now on and sealed/filleted.

Swoody, thanks for your hint on putting a weep hole into the mizzen step, I wouldn't have thought of that and would have created a potential rot spot.

Now I can see what the whole "poopdeck" looks like, it's a big surface area. Tanks on each side and lazarette in the middle with hinged top. I intend leave it bright, and all that wood will look really nice:

With that done I turned to milling and fitting cleats here there and everywhere... to hold up the floorboards, I used Philippine mahogany left over from the rails, since it will be semi-visible it should match the WRC floorboards in color:

And to strengthen the bulkhead that will serve as mast partner (and provide surface for gluing the forward tank top to) where I used big pieces of doug fir for strength.

Adventures in clamping... since I finished the outside of the hull already, fitting out the inside takes some ingenuity to figure out how get all those cleats and things in place for gluing. You can't just screw it through the hull with a temp screw and fill the hole later.

For the bow tank cleats, which have a significant curve and a compound bevel, I decided to laminate them in place with three strips of spruce about 1/4" thick each. You can't get enough clamping pressure to bend a 3/4" piece with my indirect clamping trick shown below. Thanks Clint for the hint on how to clamp these!

The knees for the side seats also presented a problem. I ended up screwing the knee to a long batten that straddled the aft and middle thwarts to hold the knees in place. Using a clamp amidships and some weights aft (nothing to clamp to there now that the tanks are in place), I was able to hold it in place vertically and apply a little bit of sideways pressure against the hull. Of course... dooh! I laid the batten on top of the tank instead of where the cleat will sit (lower by the width of the side seat), so I realized ex post facto that the knees are just a bit too high. Oh well, the bullnose plane will be put to work later to knock a little off of the tops of them.

Clint says that he didn't intend these "timbers" which are really only 9mm plywood, to have any structural function, just to hold up the floorboards. However, I think that epoxied firmly in place they definitely stiffen the 6mm bottom plan and garboards, which I have left unglassed on the inside in this after section as per the plans:

[/QUOTE]

I think this is a good call.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Workin' away this week... the theme of the week is seats. The plywood side bench tops that come in the kit are pretty flimsy, so I reinforced the underside with a 3/4"x3/4" stringer.

The other 3 sides will be resting on cleats attached to the hull/bulkhead/knee, which I cut and glued in place:

The bow tank top from the kit was a pretty close fit without a lot of shaping, but still required some notch cutting and edge trimming.

So the boat starts to look like a real boat with the thwarts/benches and tank tops in place... although I still have to glue and fillet the bow tank top in.

Looks great Jim.

Some of these details, like the stiffeners, if they were not called out or drawn in the plans, will be in the next batch!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Clint, I have to admit i haven't been following the plans very closely on this detail stuff. If it's not structural, i'm kind of winging it. So i dont even know really of some of these details are in the plans. For the mast step and partner, i will FOCUS on the plans closely. Also, the side benches will get some strengthening from the ledges that will be glued under the inboard edges to hold up the floorboards to make a sleeping platform. But i thought the hardwood reinforcement would still help.

I'm going through my punch list of all the little things that need to be done to finish the hull. It's still a pretty long list. I've now glued/laminated in place the forward tank cleats on the inside of the hull. So one thing on the list BEFORE gluing on the tank top is to put a bolt eye through the stem, which will be needed to secure the boat on the trailer. I got a 4" stainless bolt eye, which was long enough to bolt through the stem. Given that the plywood it is bolted through isn't very hard, i made a backing plate/ washer out of G10 for the inside of the stem, and sealed it with silicone:

And it looks OK on the outside of the stem.

The most awesome summer weather this past weekend, sunny and dry and in the 70s -- in NY in August! But other than a couple of hours on the Sound in the kayak, I spent the whole time in the shop working on this boat. Seems like misplaced priorities but I will admit it, I am obsessed. Or possessed maybe -- to get this boat finished!

I finally got the bow tank glued and filleted. I think that is the last of my serious epoxy work on this boat project. Yahoo! Gooey sticky epoxy gets old after a while.

Also got the mast partner fitted and now glued in place:

The mast partner required a bit of thinking and tinkering but the arrangement I came up with, which is similar to the drawing in the plans but not exactly the same, looks plenty strong.

It has bolts threaded through brass straps, the partner plate, the plywood tank top, an oak cross piece glued and screwed to the bulkhead, and more brass straps. Then a swinging oak gate is used to close the mast in. 5 of the 6 bolts stay in place, and the removable sixth one gets a wing nut, so when removed the gate pivots on the 5th bolt:

And i got the mast step screwed (from underneath) and glued in place.

Next up is floorboards and side bench extensions, both of which are of solid wood. I cut the cedar stock for the floorboards this weekend and realized I bought about 15 feet less of 1x6s than I actually need Back to the lumberyard at some point.

be back!

Progress continues slowly, interrupted by business travel and labor day weekend away from home. Still working on the details of interior fitout.

The side seats provided in the kit are cut from 9mm plywood but the extensions that take the seats forward to the middle thwart are not in the kit so I cut them from some 1x6 planks edge glued and planed to about 11/16" thick. Since the floorboard assembly is designed to be able to raise up to seat level to make a sleeping platform, you have to glue a ledge onto the underside of the plywood side seats for the floorboard to sit on. For the extension, I routered a ledge into the wood (left):

And here is the full bench seat

I used cypress for the extensions. Then tried to stain it to make it darker to closer match the side seats.. It didn't really work. I'm not thrilled with the look here; someday I will probably replace these with mahogany or WRC to look better, but for now I just want to get the thing floating.

Between the ledges on the side and cleats on the bulwarks, there is a support for the floorboard assembly all the way around the perimeter. On the midships thwart it's a 3/4" square cleat. I had to router and chisel it about 9mm deeper where the side seat extension sits on it, since that's thicker than the ply seats. it would have been easier to just glue the cleat lower in this spot, but I didn't think of that ahead of time.

Cleats everywhere -- this one holds up the side bench extension and is screwed to the knee

And I got all of the floorboards cut and planed. Western red cedar. Pretty straightforward until you get to the curved edge, which needs to be spiled to match the seat ledges and also still fit the hull. Not quite done on that but I'm pleased with the look. Per the plans, I'll screw the floorboards to tranverse cleats so that the whole thing is in two assemblies, one aft and one forward.

Let's see if this baby sees salt water before the winter comes on...

Jim,

It's really looking great! I'm a little behind you but coming along. Did the sills for the permanent side benches come with the kit? I can't find them or the cut sheet from the plans. I'm glad I've been following your build. The cleats for the side benches was giving me a headache as I was trying to get one piece for the whole thing and there was just too much bend in it. Using several small cleat pieces is much better. I'll probably do that in the bow tank, also. So, you're using athwartship cleats under the floorboards instead of the ones in the kit? I was thinking that the pieces included would attach and support the floorboards instead. However, I do see your point in that it'll strengthen the bottom there. It's a bit of a run between bulkheads there.

Thanks for posting and I'm glad I'm able to learn from your experiences!

-Nick

Nick, glad that you are making good progress too on your CIY! Although it looks like we won't be able to do our east coast CIY class rendezvous until next spring... To your questions:
    - the sills didn't come with the kit, but I had enough 9mm scraps from the cutouts to get them from. I will suggest to Clint that he adds those to the CNC cutting file

- I didn't think of using several small cleat pieces for the bow tank. Maybe because I was thinking that you need a glue joint on top of the cleat the whole perimeter for air tightness. But you could probably do it that way as long as you have a good fillet all around the top edge. It WAS a little tricky gluing that continuous side cleat into the bow.

- since I used the ply floor timbers from the kit for floor timbers to strengthen the hull, and they will also hold up the floorboards when they are down, they can't also serve to hold the floorboards together for when you raise them to make the sleeping platform. So my additional transverse pieces are for that purpose. Also, you would have a hard time screwing all those planks into 9mm plywood edges, and it would also likely split the plywood. I think you should either (a) glue those plywood pieces in to the hull as floor timbers and then use other transverse pieces to hold your floorboard assemblies together, or (b) use them as patterns to cut combination floor timbers/sleeping platform transverse supports out of 3/4" hardwood stock, then screw your floorboards to those timbers and don't attach them to the hull. BUT getting the floorboards attached squarely was a little tricky even with nice flat pieces siting on the floor -- it would be REALLY tricky doing it to odd-shaped pieces.

Here is how I built the floorboard sections. Forward section: there is a 3/4"x3/4" cleat at the front and a 3/4" x 1 1/2" cleat at the aft edge. That's so 3/4" of the wider piece extends aft of the forward floorboard ends to make a ledge for the after assembly:

Here it is raised into where it will be for the sleeping platform:

I made a similar assembly for the after section. They meet at the same station as where the side bench knees are. Here is the aft section upside down so you can see the assembly:

Here's the detail of the "ledge" between the forward and aft assemblies. You can see how the aft one (left) sits on the forward one's ledge:

I screwed the floorboards to the transverse supports for now. (That's about 60 bronze screws, glad I bought 100 of them!) I will go back and put some epoxy on and re-screw them once I get them fitting perfectly, since screws in soft cedar will probably loosen over time, also with only one screw in each plank (except the single wider middle plank) they could parallelogram on me which I don't want. The transverse supports are philippine mahogany which has a similar color, is pretty strong and takes glue well. It was left over from the planks I got my gunwales out of (not by design, just luck).

The final setup looks and fits pretty well:

I just need to cut the curved side pieces, which I saved for last so I can cut them to width (I already cut the outer curves of those 4 pieces using the side benches as patterns). By just starting this assembly from the center and keeping it symmetrical, I really didn't have to do much ruler measuring.

I also need to make the hinged strut (which will swing down from the 3/4"x1 1/2" transverse piece and thus hold up both assemblies as the sleeping platform. This platform idea is one of the coolest features Clint put into this design, and was a big selling point for me in selecting this boat, as it will allow me to camp aboard!

Jim,

Interesting solutions. One question would be if one would be able to glue the boards to the stringers or supports? Too little surface area to provide much lateral support? I was figuring I'd glue them since screws alone would eventually loosen, like you said, and then rack, right? Why did you make the floor in 2 sections? Would 1 single be too much to handle? I figured one would be able to angle it out from below somehow, after all, it's only slightly bigger than the opening. I suppose I could make 1 and if it doesn't come out easily enough, cut it into 2 pieces and go from there.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of throwing out my marine ply scraps. Would you strongly recommend against using big box store birch ply for the ledge? Just a thought. A half sheet of 3/8" should be just about right I'd think. I do like what you did with the side removable benches. Using a solid piece makes sense, and then routing down or however needs to be worked to be flush with the side benches and rowing thwart. I may save both of those items until the very end.

I ended up putting the hatches on the top of both the fore and aft tank tops. However, I like the look of yours a bit better. I'd worry that access may be difficult on the deck like that. I'm not sure how often they'll be accessed, anyway.

We'll see. Next up for me is finishing filleting behind the stem and fitting the bow tank top. Thanks for adding the photo of the SS eye bolt. That reminds me, I need to order one. None of the ones locally available are welded and I think a bent one would just look bad.

-Nick

Hi Jim, thanks for sharing your build and thought process regarding your innovations! With respect to the mast gate/partners, I like that one of the six bolts has a wing nut to facilitate removal. Will you need a wrench to hold the head of the bold steady while turning the wing nut? Would a recessed hold cut to size for the hexagonal bolt head work to trap the bolt?

Good luck!

Schoonerjay, the gate bolt on the mast partner doesn't need to be more than hand tight with the wing nut, and the bolt itself is a bit tight in the hole, so I hope I won't need a wrench, although it's probably a good idea to keep such a wrench in the boat just in case. You can't recess the bolt because it has a brass plate under the bolt head.

Nick, the plans from Clint show (although maybe not very clearly) the floorboards in 2 sections. The building manual is clearer -- see figure 21. I think there are two reasons they need to be in 2 sections: 1) they have to be a tight fit on the ledges, which means that they are wider than the opening you need to lift them through. Thinking about the geometry, I don't think you could lift one great big floorboard section out. Maybe with some tilting and shimmying but it would be tricky. Not to mention that that is a big and somewhat heavy assembly to be lifting, and where are you going to sit in the boat while lifting it? (it's easy I'm standing on the floor of my garage and my boat is in its cradle, but that's not the real world condition). It's way easier to lift them out in 2 pieces. The after piece is still pretty big and ungainly. 2) I don't know how you would position the strut that holds up the sleeping platform, since you wouldn't be able to get at it under that big assembly.

If you don't have okoume ply left over to make the seat ledges, you could use birch ply but I think solid wood - mahogany or doug fir -- would look better and be strong enough. Depends on if you have a planer or table saw to cut it to a decent thickness.

I got my eye bolt via internet from Jamestown Distributors, since I couldn't find a good one locally either.

I finished the last of the floorboard planks tonight. The side planks are curved in multiple ways so it took some planning. Planing cedar is like cutting butter though -- very easy. Here is the whole assembly raised to be the platform. It's really big, a full 8 feet long x 5 feet wide amidships and about 3 feet wide even at the transom:

And here are the floorboards where they belong.

If you need a little more inspiration to get through the build and get her on the water, here is a short video of CIY #1 on Lake Pepin earlier this summer:

Jim

Great progress! Jim thanks for posting your photo...glad you are still getting out in her.

I can't wait to actually sail one myself!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

4 coats of varnish makes the wood look pretty good. I had a bit of a hiccup as the varnish I started with - Totalboat Lust from Jamestown Distributors -- ended up being unsatisfactory. It's very viscous and was hard to brush on. I had bought it because it said you could overcoat in an hour and a half with no sanding. But it fell into the category of "If it sounds too good to be true, it's because if probably isn't true"... By the third coat, the varnish needed thinning bigtime because it was getting impossible to spread out. The instructions say thin with xylene or toluene only. I thinned it with xylene, maybe too much, but it came out looking terrible, almost milky white. Out with the sandpaper to knock down that last coat. The other problem with no sanding -- independent of the varnish -- is that you end up amplifying the brush strokes. Which is exactly what happened. A 4th coat of Minwax Helmsman spar varnish from the local hardware store, after some sanding, has it looking ok:

$20 a quart to boot. Here's the bow tank, looking quite nice

I also oiled the cedar floorboards and re-stained the seat extensions a different, redder color to match better

It's almost bright wood overkill right now, but it will look a little more balanced when I paint the inside of the hull below the thwarts and the sheerstrake.

Painting is done! Not my favorite job but it sure makes the thing look good. I just stood there staring at it for something like 5 minutes this morning. The inside of the hull is painted with Pettit Easypoxy, "sand" color. I flattened it with their flattening agent so it wouldn't be too shiny staring me in the face. Now to start mounting oarlocks, lazarette hinges, bow chocks, pintles and gudgeons, etc. And I still need to make the boomkin.

Looking great Jim! Of course I’m partial to your hull color scheme having used the same for my boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Looks like great work--getting close now. I think you'll really appreciate the daggerboard. I'm normally not a fan, but having been forunate enough to sail the prototype CIY with a centerboard, I'm convinced a daggerboard is the right choice for this boat for lots of reasons (low-ish boom, legroom in the cockpit, ease of moving from side to side).

Enjoy the fitting out--looks really good.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Nice Jim, you may be setting a Calendar-Islands-Yawl standard paint job!

Great work, thanks for posting.

Also, in response to Tom, above, the boom is really not that low, it's just that the builders of #1 cut the mast short to get it to fit inside the hull. In fact, I have the mast drawn at 16 1/2'...it could be 16' so it can be gotten out of standard Eastern White Spruce stock. I think #1 the mast was cut below 16', but I don't recall how much less.

I might add that SAND by Pettit is a favorite color. And also, isn't it amazing how paint helps break up the intensity of all that wood grain/color...compare to the photo in post #136
    Last edited by Clinton B Chase; 10-01-2017 at 07:00 PM. Reason: last comment
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

What a beautiful job - and a lovely boat! Bravo!

Chris