Thread: Simon Watts -- photos & boats from boat building workshops

Default Simon Watts -- photos & boats from boat building workshops

Hi there, my father Simon Watts, conducted a series of boat building workshops across the U.S. in the 1980s (mostly). He recently turned 87 and we are trying to track down some of the photos or the stories of what happened with those boats or other boats people may have built with Simon's plans. As you may know, all of Simon's photos (more than 3000 negatives) were stolen when his apartment was completely cleaned out by thieves.

Thanks for your thoughts! Happy boat-building!

-- Richard Watts, Vermont
    rwatts@uvm.edu

Default Re: Simon Watts -- photos & boats from boat building workshops

Good Luck Richard, what a horrible thing to happen!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Simon visited the Center for Wooden Boats in Seattle for some workshops in the - 80's-90's. One I remember is building a Petaluma sliding seat rowing skiff. Simon stayed at my houseboat at some point when he was here, and we went for a hike along the Camano Island beach as I recall. Also, I think Eric and I stayed at his place in San Francisco (he was traveling at the time, I believe) when we went there to look at a Yankee One Design.

Dick Wagner at the Center may have some more remembrances, as would Eric Hvalsoe; perhaps he'll chime in here.

Also, the Center may have old copies of Shavings that likely would have had photos of the classes and launchings.

Glad to hear he's still charging along!

Cheers,
    Bill Van Vlack

Richard,
    Sorry to hear the bad news about the theft. Your father has been a great help to me with the resurrection of my lapstrake I-14, WHIRLY. Honored to have made his acquaintance.