Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: The Karmann Ghia thread

Default Re: The Karmann Ghia thread

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Project update: The spin-around-the-block revealed that the front end needed some attention. I may need a new steering box ultimately but for now I'm just doing ball joints and adding a swaybar.
    IIRC, some VW steering boxes could be adjusted for tolerance. Not to be overdone, I am sure there is a spec for maximum readjustment, so take care and find out before overdoing.

Quarterly-ish update.
    Sorry about the image size, can't seem to remedy that right now.

Those bumpers were a stainless-steel ladydog to install. The PO had a lot of rust-repair bodywork done, seemingly with the intent of a porsche speedster style no-bumpers end result. The bumper mounting points were mostly gone, those that remained were way out of whack.
    They do totally make the look of the car, though, IMHO. It seemed really stumpy-ended without them.

Yes, I tightened the steering and added some caster to improve the handling.
    I picked up some secondhand seats. They're actual KG seats, but I don't love them, and since I'm not slavishly restoring to original I'm on the lookout for something better that I can mod-to-fit.
    After a lot (no really a LOT) of fussy carb-tuning that just couldn't seem to remedy an over-rich condition I realized that each carb had its own unrelated hidden issue. Both replaced, now SO much better. Still not as much power as I'd like, but at least it's tuneable now.

Next up (now that winter is nigh): The interior. Apart from the seats it's all bare metal. I've been putting it off because the glass has to come out for the headliner.
    A bit of cut-and-weld here and there to reestablish the full course of the heat channels.
    And then I think some drop-spindles for the front. Getting the front bumper installed helped it look like less of a taildragger but still I need to get the nose down.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Just fill the gas tank.

Yeah, good reminder. I've found myself out of gas on the side of the road twice already.

Just went through this thread, and that's a nice car. I built a lot of VW engines back in the 70's and as I think back on it, they were almost fun to do, definitely profitable. A 1600 with a big bore kit and some late model dual port heads and they will go really well. I still have an old 1600 engine out behind the shop on the bone pile, but it may have returned to the earth by now!
    You have to have two floor jacks, one for the body and one for the engine. About 20 minutes to remove or install it... That is the secret to working on old VW's.

Now, about that fan belt...

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Just went through this thread, and that's a nice car. I built a lot of VW engines back in the 70's and as I think back on it, they were almost fun to do, definitely profitable. A 1600 with a big bore kit and some late model dual port heads and they will go really well. I still have an old 1600 engine out behind the shop on the bone pile, but it may have returned to the earth by now!
    You have to have two floor jacks, one for the body and one for the engine. About 20 minutes to remove or install it... That is the secret to working on old VW's.

Now, about that fan belt...

Nah. We did my buddy’s dad’s super last year. Just one jack is plenty.

Peace,
    Robert

Quarterly-ish update.
    Sorry about the image size, can't seem to remedy that right now.

Those bumpers were a stainless-steel ladydog to install. The PO had a lot of rust-repair bodywork done, seemingly with the intent of a porsche speedster style no-bumpers end result. The bumper mounting points were mostly gone, those that remained were way out of whack.
    They do totally make the look of the car, though, IMHO. It seemed really stumpy-ended without them.

Yes, I tightened the steering and added some caster to improve the handling.
    I picked up some secondhand seats. They're actual KG seats, but I don't love them, and since I'm not slavishly restoring to original I'm on the lookout for something better that I can mod-to-fit.
    After a lot (no really a LOT) of fussy carb-tuning that just couldn't seem to remedy an over-rich condition I realized that each carb had its own unrelated hidden issue. Both replaced, now SO much better. Still not as much power as I'd like, but at least it's tuneable now.

Next up (now that winter is nigh): The interior. Apart from the seats it's all bare metal. I've been putting it off because the glass has to come out for the headliner.
    A bit of cut-and-weld here and there to reestablish the full course of the heat channels.
    And then I think some drop-spindles for the front. Getting the front bumper installed helped it look like less of a taildragger but still I need to get the nose down.
    The nose down helps with the pushing, too.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Nah. We did my buddy’s dad’s super last year. Just one jack is plenty.

Peace,
    Robert
    If you are "we" but if you are me, two is mandatory.
    How else can you move them from one side of the shop to the other?

Ah, yes. Me is VERY different.

We used an old skateboard to roll the engine around. Hehe.

Peace,
    Robert

A Fiat 600 motor is even easier - 2 guys pick it up & set it on a milk crate.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Motorcycle jack.

It grabs the transmission forks nicely and up goes the whole back end. A pair of jackstands later, it's free to cradle the motor by the pan.
    Worth every nickel.

Thanks for the update-nudge, Leikec...

A bit of cut-and-weld here and there to reestablish the full course of the heat channels....
    A bit of cut-and-weld, of course, became more than a bit once I actually dug into it.
    Part of me understands why the PO did what he did... he was making a summer-only toy, saw no need of the heat channels that run through the body of the car.
    A much larger part of me, however, thinks that it was just plain DUMB to not do it right while he had the body off the pan. The half-assed patch they did was only marginally less work than the proper repair would have been, all they saved was a few hundred $ worth of repopped sheetmetal. Absolutely asinine corner-cutting.

So I've spent the past few months first undoing that patchwork, and now redoing it correctly. In retrospect it would almost have been worth taking the body off the pan to make it easier, but not quite.

I would say that I'll finally have all of that done tomorrow and can finally put the welder away for a while, but **** happens and it looks like I'm spending tomorrow replacing our dishwasher instead of playing in the garage.

Thanks for the update-nudge, Leikec...

A bit of cut-and-weld, of course, became more than a bit once I actually dug into it.
    Part of me understands why the PO did what he did... he was making a summer-only toy, saw no need of the heat channels that run through the body of the car.
    A much larger part of me, however, thinks that it was just plain DUMB to not do it right while he had the body off the pan. The half-assed patch they did was only marginally less work than the proper repair would have been, all they saved was a few hundred $ worth of repopped sheetmetal. Absolutely asinine corner-cutting.

So I've spent the past few months first undoing that patchwork, and now redoing it correctly. In retrospect it would almost have been worth taking the body off the pan to make it easier, but not quite.

I would say that I'll finally have all of that done tomorrow and can finally put the welder away for a while, but **** happens and it looks like I'm spending tomorrow replacing our dishwasher instead of playing in the garage.
    Yikes! Sounds like a job...

Jeff C

The convertibles were awesome . . had two gun metal blue ones.

Quarterly update....
    As the glass had to come out to do the headliner, I did a new windshield in the front and replaced the defrost-grid in the rear.
    The headliner material I used is cheap crap, it really was awful and incredibly fussy to work with, but it looks better than the bare metal. and it's done.
    The new carpets are in, they work nicely with the seats.
    New dashboard cover and dash-top pad... WHOA. Totally transformative. It's actually kinda... "nice" now.
    the little depression in the middle where the radio is supposed to be is just BEGGING for a radio now.
    I haven't installed the door panels yet because there is still some fussing to do with the window mechanism to get the glass to meet the upper seals properly. But it is now, for the first time in unknown number of years, able to sit outside where it might get rained-on.

And that's a good thing because I need the garage to become a boatshop again for a little while.

oh and I dropped the front suspension a couple of inches, which has made all the difference in the world to the stance and to the highway-speed stability.

Looking great! I was at an estate auction a couple of weeks ago & there was a very clean CG hardtop in it. The son of the owner proudly told everyone who looked at it that it'd bring 25-30. Bidding stopped @ about 15. He said he'd put it in Hemmings.

Same color as yours too.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

He's been looking at convertible prices.

I sold the Triton years ago because it was no longer the right tool for the job.
    I picked up the Mako because it would be a more convenient (driveway instead of boatyard) project, which it was, but over the summer I got it to the point of not being such a project anymore, it was an actual Boat with nothing much wrong about it..... and I just didn't love it. I sold that 15-20GPH beast while gas was still cheap, becoming a boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

I've done a project-house, a project-sailboat, a project-powerboat... I needed a new groove. And I missed my jeep. And I've long had a hankering for a late 60s Jeepster Commando. That hunt quickly proved fruitless. I blame Ford's reintroduction of the Bronco, which has sent the values of 1st-generation Broncos skyrocketing, which has dragged the values of all small 4x4s from that era along for the ride.

So one thing lead to another and I picked up this Karmann Ghia instead.

No, I'm not in love with the color. It's "Texas yellow", and I'm more of a "Fighting Lady Yellow" guy.
    "Fighting Lady Yellow"

KATE 12 metre.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.