Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: The Karmann Ghia thread

Default Re: The Karmann Ghia thread

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Project update: The spin-around-the-block revealed that the front end needed some attention. I may need a new steering box ultimately but for now I'm just doing ball joints and adding a swaybar.
    IIRC, some VW steering boxes could be adjusted for tolerance. Not to be overdone, I am sure there is a spec for maximum readjustment, so take care and find out before overdoing.

Quarterly-ish update.
    Sorry about the image size, can't seem to remedy that right now.

Those bumpers were a stainless-steel ladydog to install. The PO had a lot of rust-repair bodywork done, seemingly with the intent of a porsche speedster style no-bumpers end result. The bumper mounting points were mostly gone, those that remained were way out of whack.
    They do totally make the look of the car, though, IMHO. It seemed really stumpy-ended without them.

Yes, I tightened the steering and added some caster to improve the handling.
    I picked up some secondhand seats. They're actual KG seats, but I don't love them, and since I'm not slavishly restoring to original I'm on the lookout for something better that I can mod-to-fit.
    After a lot (no really a LOT) of fussy carb-tuning that just couldn't seem to remedy an over-rich condition I realized that each carb had its own unrelated hidden issue. Both replaced, now SO much better. Still not as much power as I'd like, but at least it's tuneable now.

Next up (now that winter is nigh): The interior. Apart from the seats it's all bare metal. I've been putting it off because the glass has to come out for the headliner.
    A bit of cut-and-weld here and there to reestablish the full course of the heat channels.
    And then I think some drop-spindles for the front. Getting the front bumper installed helped it look like less of a taildragger but still I need to get the nose down.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Just fill the gas tank.

Yeah, good reminder. I've found myself out of gas on the side of the road twice already.

Just went through this thread, and that's a nice car. I built a lot of VW engines back in the 70's and as I think back on it, they were almost fun to do, definitely profitable. A 1600 with a big bore kit and some late model dual port heads and they will go really well. I still have an old 1600 engine out behind the shop on the bone pile, but it may have returned to the earth by now!
    You have to have two floor jacks, one for the body and one for the engine. About 20 minutes to remove or install it... That is the secret to working on old VW's.

Now, about that fan belt...

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Just went through this thread, and that's a nice car. I built a lot of VW engines back in the 70's and as I think back on it, they were almost fun to do, definitely profitable. A 1600 with a big bore kit and some late model dual port heads and they will go really well. I still have an old 1600 engine out behind the shop on the bone pile, but it may have returned to the earth by now!
    You have to have two floor jacks, one for the body and one for the engine. About 20 minutes to remove or install it... That is the secret to working on old VW's.

Now, about that fan belt...

Nah. We did my buddy’s dad’s super last year. Just one jack is plenty.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Quarterly-ish update.
    Sorry about the image size, can't seem to remedy that right now.

Those bumpers were a stainless-steel ladydog to install. The PO had a lot of rust-repair bodywork done, seemingly with the intent of a porsche speedster style no-bumpers end result. The bumper mounting points were mostly gone, those that remained were way out of whack.
    They do totally make the look of the car, though, IMHO. It seemed really stumpy-ended without them.

Yes, I tightened the steering and added some caster to improve the handling.
    I picked up some secondhand seats. They're actual KG seats, but I don't love them, and since I'm not slavishly restoring to original I'm on the lookout for something better that I can mod-to-fit.
    After a lot (no really a LOT) of fussy carb-tuning that just couldn't seem to remedy an over-rich condition I realized that each carb had its own unrelated hidden issue. Both replaced, now SO much better. Still not as much power as I'd like, but at least it's tuneable now.

Next up (now that winter is nigh): The interior. Apart from the seats it's all bare metal. I've been putting it off because the glass has to come out for the headliner.
    A bit of cut-and-weld here and there to reestablish the full course of the heat channels.
    And then I think some drop-spindles for the front. Getting the front bumper installed helped it look like less of a taildragger but still I need to get the nose down.
    The nose down helps with the pushing, too.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Nah. We did my buddy’s dad’s super last year. Just one jack is plenty.

Peace,
    Robert
    If you are "we" but if you are me, two is mandatory.
    How else can you move them from one side of the shop to the other?

Ah, yes. Me is VERY different.

We used an old skateboard to roll the engine around. Hehe.

Peace,
    Robert

A Fiat 600 motor is even easier - 2 guys pick it up & set it on a milk crate.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Motorcycle jack.

It grabs the transmission forks nicely and up goes the whole back end. A pair of jackstands later, it's free to cradle the motor by the pan.
    Worth every nickel.