Thread: Things are heating up in Serbia.

Default Things are heating up in Serbia.

You have to wonder if the Russians are supporting Serbia and their desire to take back the territory they claim in Kosovo.

Title: Serbia-Kosovo train row escalates to military threat
    Serbia has warned it will defend "every inch" of what it claims as its territory in neighbouring Kosovo.
    President Tomislav Nikolic accused Kosovo of seeking a war, after a train painted in Serbian colours and the words "Kosovo is Serbia" was prevented from crossing the Kosovan border.
    Link: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38630152

Default Re: Things are heating up in Serbia.

What do you think, geng?

It seems obvious that Putin is supporting Serbia's roilings - Reuters says that the train you mention in your OP was donated by Russia. It would be idiotic to think that the timing is not absolutely intentional; a test of American resolve before the Obama administration leaves, and when the Trump administration takes over. And it's also a "given' that regardless of any support Russia actually does provide, the Kremlin will claim that they are not involved in the least. As with Crimea.

This is a probe, the first test of a Trump administration's commitment to the NATO alliance. There are 5000 NATO troops still stationed in Kosovo, after all. Depending on how this is met, it's a warm-up act for future incursions into the Baltic states. I no longer harbour any illusions about Putin - he's as Imperial in his ambitions as any previous Russian dictator - Royal or otherwise.

What will Trump do?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post

What will Trump do?
    Peace in our time?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Peace in our time?
    Either that, or Pence in our time.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

If there is war it will clearly be Obama's fault.
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 01-16-2017 at 02:16 PM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

clearly, Damn that Obama!

What will Trump do?
    Sunday talking heads reminded me that Russia put missiles in Cuba because they thought that Kennedy was weak and inexperienced. That sounds awfully familiar now.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Sunday talking heads reminded me that Russia put missiles in Cuba because they thought that Kennedy was weak and inexperienced. That sounds awfully familiar now.
    There is a difference. Kennedy was not Khrushchev's glove puppet.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    There is a difference. Kennedy was not Khrushchev's glove puppet.
    Yes, but it is bad enough.

Until proven otherwise.

Play the opening like a book, the middle game like a magician, and the endgame like a machine. – Rudolph Spielmann

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Until proven otherwise.

Seems like the only thing that will satisfy the USA 'majority' (the Obama Clinton supporters) is for Trump to go full speed ahead with the troop deployment on the Russian border --send every one of the fighting age majority over there to have their go at the Russians.they seem to think that it is fine for 'their' president to be the aggressor, and stand behind him in his dance for whoever his puppet master is.
    It is only logical that they stand and do the actual fighting too
    Last edited by Lugalong; 01-16-2017 at 03:59 PM.

It would be enough for Trump and his Congress to decide how and if to draw their own line, and how then to be accountable for it. Putin intends this to be Trump's and the Republican Congress' test, to set the tone for the next number of years. Just as the Cuban Missile Crisis was intended to be Kennedy's.

The Republicans are now in the position they've been panting for and dreading - they're going to have to set the policy, and be accountable for the outcome.

It would be enough for Trump and his Congress to decide how and if to draw their own line, and how then to be accountable for it.
    Based on our last experience with a Presidential 'line', things don't look good.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Based on our last experience with a Presidential 'line', things don't look good.
    No, they really don't. We are all about to discover that Trump isn't an orange copy of Jack Kennedy, nor is the present Congress capable of what its predecessor was in Jack's day.

Predictable, though, that Putin's first move would be to test America's commitment to NATO policy in a little way, in order to best set up the larger test to come.

Am I the only one who knows that within months we had quietly pulled missles out of Turkey. Let's watch those Cuba analogies.

True, but there are missiles elsewhere. This Serbia rumbling timed to test America's resolve during its transition. To demonstrate (again) to Putin's domestic audience that democracy is ineffective and weak when pressed, to make a crack in the NATO alliance, and to be a pilot-project testing Trump's response when the bigger push comes.

True, but there are missiles elsewhere. This Serbia rumbling timed to test America's resolve during its transition. To demonstrate (again) to Putin's domestic audience that democracy is ineffective and weak when pressed, to make a crack in the NATO alliance, and to be a pilot-project testing Trump's response when the bigger push comes.
    Russia has been selling arms to Ortega in Nicaragua. The new Cuba?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I believe boaters point was that tho Kennedy 'stood strong', the real reason for Russian missiles in Cuba (U.S. missiles in Turkey) was eliminated to stem the apparent aggression. Backing down by both was the answer.

There are those of us who grew up wondering why Russians would consider the good old USA to be any threat to them. Then it took many years for us to come to terms with accepting that JFK might have ben assassinated for NOT wanting war with the Soviets. So now that we realize one or other of either the Republican or Democrat factions will push for war with the Russians, it is an inevitable outcome.Although, Right now it is not the Russians pushing for the war, but that is evidently a small matter…… the ‘majority’ of Americans are behind those who do want it.
    Following on from what the Clintons started in the Balkans, it looks very much like both factions now have what they have each wanted.

Trump made it clear that he didn’t want war with Russia, which vindicates Putin, if Trump really is his puppet.But OK. Never mind that.
    Trump is not an "orange copy of JFK", and you should be happy if he proves you to be right by doing the opposite to what JFK did in the 1960’s.
    At the same time,you might nevertheless be proved right in that Russia might eventually fight the war they have supposedly been itching for.
    Last edited by Lugalong; 01-16-2017 at 06:12 PM.