Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 20hp(ish) marine diesels - anyone recent advances/suggestions?

Wongawallan Queensland....wait....no, Darwin NT...for now

Default 20hp(ish) marine diesels - anyone recent advances/suggestions?

I’m after thoughts on engines for my H28:

I did a bit of research on marine diesels for her a few years ago (i.e. 2012) and am looking to update that, but as a bit of a shortcut am first wondering if anyone has done anything more recent work on choosing a marine diesel engine around the 20hp mark and has any recommendations??

Are there any new engines on the market worth looking at??

Does anyone have a favourite and why?

Any bad experiences or negative reports to suggest that any may be better avoided??

Any advice, thoughts, experiences, quips, tales etc whatsoever???

When I last looked I was keen on a Yanmar 3YM20, but at $13,700.00 (all of my pricing here is from 2012) that’s the top end and, even with expected price increases over the last five years, the difference in pricing between that and some of the next below it is the cost of six nice bronze port-lights....so am now thinking again and looking to get something under the $10k mark. But I want reliability and something as smooth and quiet running as I can get it, short of going electric.

Some of the comparable others at the time came in at:

Volvo Penta D120 (18hp 3 cyl’) - $10,711
    Nanni 21(21hp 3 cyl’)- $9405.00,
    Beta 20 (20hp 3 cyl’)- $7950.00,
    Lombardini LDW702m (20hp 2 cyl')- $9350.00
    Bukh DV24ME (24hp 2 cyl’)) - $16390.00
    Boss L3D14MA (29hp 3 cyl’ Mitsubishi 3)) - $6105.00
    WM Sydney (22hp 3 cyl’ Kubota) - $11,392.00
    Vetus M3.28 (27hp 3 cyl’)) - $9907.00
    Westerbeke 20B (20hp 2 cyl’)) - no price
    Universal M3-20dB (20hp 3 cyl) - no price

Any thoughts on any of the above?

Any others to consider??

When I put my comparison spreadsheet together back in 2012 I listed 28 engines that could possibly suite my H28 (some such as a Yanmar 9.1hp “suitable” only according to some sales people but which are really not suitable for the H28) and included anything that I could find for comparisons, sizes, weight, cc’s, cylinder numbers, max revs, bore, stroke, displacements, compression ratios, cooling, alt amps’ (as supplied per quotes offered) and so on.

So if this is of use to anyone else here either tell me how to copy an excel spreadsheet or a PDF version of it here, or PM me to email it to you.
    Last edited by Larks; 01-08-2017 at 12:40 AM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Default Re: 20hp(ish) marine diesels - anyone recent advances/suggestions?

Stay away from Bukh/Beta as the Australian dealer charges too much for parts. This might be the case with some of the others too but I found it much cheaper to buy Bukh parts in NZ than here. Before you buy any engine, check the price of parts that you're likely to need, e.g., exhaust elbow, belts, water pump impeller, hoses etc. I know Volvo parts are also ridiculoususly expensive, Nanni too. I think I'd get a Yanmar if I was buying a new engine.

Rick

By the way, I think 20 hp is too big for an H28. I'd go for a 15 max - cheaper, lighter. I only have a 24 in Masina and that's plenty.

Rick

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Too big? Ha! We are all getting older. The mill only has to save the boat once.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    By the way, I think 20 hp is too big for an H28. I'd go for a 15 max - cheaper, lighter. I only have a 24 in Masina and that's plenty.

Rick
    I hear what you’re saying Rick but disagree in this case: I did the calc’s and the 14’s available don’t cut it - the Beta 16 is the next up and, as you say, expensive on parts (and I wasn’t impressed with them anyway). It was a Volvo 18hp that came out of her so I’m looking for similar to go back in, but also looking for a 3 cyl rather than two - hence the wee bump to 20hp. My expectation when I did the calc’s was that I’d have her parked up the Coomera river so the last thing I want to do is struggle against tide when I can match a 20 and prop’ pretty well to suit the expected conditions.

Price wise, those around the 14/16hp that I did price up at the time weren’t so much cheaper than the 20 that I would be swayed by price. i.e. Nanni 14hp $8745 (2 cyl) and the 21hp (3 cyl) $9405. I didn’t record the price of the Yammer 2YM15 (14hp) but I knew the dealer pretty well at the time (through Stalla Marine when I was there) and we did the calls together and I recall it not being worth dropping the hp to 14hp for what cost saving there would be.

Interestingly I’ve had dealers try and tell me I needed over 25hp while another suggested the 9.1 that I mentioned above would suffice - I suggested he must mean running with the tide and the sails up.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Stay away from Bukh/Beta as the Australian dealer charges too much for parts. This might be the case with some of the others too but I found it much cheaper to buy Bukh parts in NZ than here. Before you buy any engine, check the price of parts that you're likely to need, e.g., exhaust elbow, belts, water pump impeller, hoses etc. I know Volvo parts are also ridiculoususly expensive, Nanni too. I think I'd get a Yanmar if I was buying a new engine.

Rick
    Good advice about the parts pricing though, I knew as much about Volvo and Beta but wasn’t quite so aware that Nanni were the same. Availability of parts is the other issue.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I still have a Bukh DV20 in the shed even though I've tried to give it away. It needs a gearbox ...does anyone know where I'd find one ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Larks, 28 motors in to a spreadsheet? You are way over thinking it, virtually any modern small diesel will be perfectly fine. A fair few of them are rebadged industrial motors from the same manufacturer anyway. HP wise it starts from the prop backwards, but I'd be saying that anything from 14hp would be perfectly fine. Old bukh 10's were the standard here but they are very heavy and a bit underpowered if you want to make headway into wind and tide. I'd be looking at a 20hp Yanmar, Beta, Nanni, Volvo or Lombardini. Pick the cheapest one with the best service facility and you cannot go wrong. Seriously its really a toss of the dice as they are all very good.
    whatever rocks your boat

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    Larks, 28 motors in to a spreadsheet? You are way over thinking it, virtually any modern small diesel will be perfectly fine. A fair few of them are rebadged industrial motors from the same manufacturer anyway. HP wise it starts from the prop backwards, but I'd be saying that anything from 14hp would be perfectly fine. Old bukh 10's were the standard here but they are very heavy and a bit underpowered if you want to make headway into wind and tide. I'd be looking at a 20hp Yanmar, Beta, Nanni, Volvo or Lombardini. Pick the cheapest one with the best service facility and you cannot go wrong. Seriously its really a toss of the dice as they are all very good.
    Thanks for the comments Paul.

Not so much overthinking, it was more to do with comparing prices weight and size at the time and having a lousy memory......
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I guess if price and weight are similar then you may as well go with a bigger motor. Our Folkboat has a 10 and that's plenty. Masina is 38' and weighs around 7t. The Bukh 24 is pretty old - about 30 years I think! Seems to be a pretty good motor.

Rick

I guess if price and weight are similar then you may as well go with a bigger motor. Our Folkboat has a 10 and that's plenty. Masina is 38' and weighs around 7t. The Bukh 24 is pretty old - about 30 years I think! Seems to be a pretty good motor.

Rick
    Having said what I did above, I meant to add that I’d earlier emailed Vetus-Maxwell for a price on their new M2.18 engine, which is 16hp and which I don’t recall being available when I’d looked at Vetus before as the only one they priced for me was the M3.28 which was too big.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Too small for you but I like this Greg, low reving and hand startable .http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bukh-DV-1...wAAOSw2zlXhh16
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Too small for you but I like this Greg, low reving and hand startable .http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bukh-DV-1...wAAOSw2zlXhh16
    I could always convert to twin props and run two of them....
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Twin props off one engine would be fun, doable too I reckon. Nice for a marina .
    Grateful Dead

Rob was very happy with the motor he put in his boat. Was that a Lombardini? I like Yanmars myself.

Robs was a Lombardini , 13 hp or thereabouts, 2 ton boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Rob was very happy with the motor he put in his boat. Was that a Lombardini? I like Yanmars myself.
    Yes, Rob’s was a Lombardini. I think it may have been JB who first put me on to looking at the Lombardini engine when I started looking way back then, I wonder if he knows any more since then....???
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Although the Lombardic LDW702m is a 2 cylinder it is the lightest of all the ones that I compared at 99kg.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/i...-package/88908

The Uk pound is less than $1.50 at the moment.

UK VAT should cover the freight, you would be up for another 10% at this end.

Are you still in the marine business? Any chance it could be a business sample or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald View Post
    http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/i...-package/88908

The Uk pound is less than $1.50 at the moment.

UK VAT should cover the freight, you would be up for another 10% at this end.

Are you still in the marine business? Any chance it could be a business sample or something like that?
    Looks interesting Paul, thank you , though I note that the price they are showing is based on exchange of an old engine package.

However I’d not previously looked OS so you've opened up a new avenue that looks worth investigating. I am still in the marine industry and operating under my own marine business so that also opens up other options for doing deals.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Yes, Rob’s was a Lombardini. I think it may have been JB who first put me on to looking at the Lombardini engine when I started looking way back then, I wonder if he knows any more since then....???
    Ian McColgin just bought two of them last year, give him a shout he's a had a bit of time with them now. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I went with twin Lombardinis for Meg. But key to my decision was that a major East Coast distributor had the engine as the main unit in their popular gensets and thus the parts chain was and will remain about as reliable as can be predicted.

I once had a car (a Sabra) where the parts supply train was interrupted by the '67 Arab-Israeli War and US marketing never really got off the ground, much less recovered. Learning to machine new kingpins and such was rewarding in its way but nothing I want to repeat if I breakdown on the ICW.

Nanni and Beta both use Kubota short engines, but their own ancillaries. Very well regarded.

No no experience of them myself, but Volvos are called 'The green death' by many.

Westerbeke can can be a bit agricultural, vibey, noisy, but are Perkins blocks, and are considered long life work horses. Perkins might be worth a look.

I have several people who swear by Ford, being reliable and cheap, particularly the 4D, but that's bigger than what you require. May also be worthy of investigation.

The Beta is a Kubota. For parts that aren't specifically "marine" a tractor dealer is much cheaper.
    My Westerbeke needed glowplugs. The "marine" ones were $40US per plug. Tractor dealer had them for $11. Same part number on the plug.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Recently I saw an H-28 fitted with a new motor by a professional installer who recommended a Beta 20hp. From my experience and for the relatively little extra cost and weight its well worth it. You will be very surprised at how much motoring you do on a cruise.
    whatever rocks your boat

The only ones who produce their own engines are Bukh and Lombardini. Beta, Nanni, and some others are Kubota. Small Volvos are Perkins from Japan or China. Vetus is Mitsubitshi. Westerbeke and Universal could be Kubota, Perkins or Mitsubishi (depending on model and year, for example the Westerbeke 20B is a Mitsubishi L2E same as the Vetus 2.05 and the Sole 17).

As the others said buy the spare parts at the tractor or lawnmower or industrial store. Smaller Yanmars are also in industrial equipment. Lombardinis core business is industrial engines not marine ones. The only real dedicated marine engine is the Bukh 24 ME.

One idea would be to marinize yourself. Buy the heat exchanger and wet exhaust from one firm and the motor from an industrial supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I went with twin Lombardinis for Meg. But key to my decision was that a major East Coast distributor had the engine as the main unit in their popular gensets and thus the parts chain was and will remain about as reliable as can be predicted.

I once had a car (a Sabra) where the parts supply train was interrupted by the '67 Arab-Israeli War and US marketing never really got off the ground, much less recovered. Learning to machine new kingpins and such was rewarding in its way but nothing I want to repeat if I breakdown on the ICW.
    Thanks Ian, that’s good to know. Are you happy with them so far? Anything that bothers you about them or the process of fitting them?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Nanni and Beta both use Kubota short engines, but their own ancillaries. Very well regarded.

No no experience of them myself, but Volvos are called 'The green death' by many.

Westerbeke can can be a bit agricultural, vibey, noisy, but are Perkins blocks, and are considered long life work horses. Perkins might be worth a look.

I have several people who swear by Ford, being reliable and cheap, particularly the 4D, but that's bigger than what you require. May also be worthy of investigation.
    Thanks lup’, good info and much appreciated
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    The Beta is a Kubota. For parts that aren't specifically "marine" a tractor dealer is much cheaper.
    My Westerbeke needed glowplugs. The "marine" ones were $40US per plug. Tractor dealer had them for $11. Same part number on the plug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    Recently I saw an H-28 fitted with a new motor by a professional installer who recommended a Beta 20hp. From my experience and for the relatively little extra cost and weight its well worth it. You will be very surprised at how much motoring you do on a cruise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    The only ones who produce their own engines are Bukh and Lombardini. Beta, Nanni, and some others are Kubota. Small Volvos are Perkins from Japan or China. Vetus is Mitsubitshi. Westerbeke and Universal could be Kubota, Perkins or Mitsubishi (depending on model and year, for example the Westerbeke 20B is a Mitsubishi L2E same as the Vetus 2.05 and the Sole 17).

As the others said buy the spare parts at the tractor or lawnmower or industrial store. Smaller Yanmars are also in industrial equipment. Lombardinis core business is industrial engines not marine ones. The only real dedicated marine engine is the Bukh 24 ME.

One idea would be to marinize yourself. Buy the heat exchanger and wet exhaust from one firm and the motor from an industrial supplier.

Thanks guys, really good info and advise and very much appreciated. I’m a bit of a Kubota fan but I note that a few are using the Mitsubishi’s now - what sort of a reputation do they have?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post

Looks like both Ford and Perkins offerings would be too big in their marine diesel range
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Since we launched I've been at the full winter's work in commissioning so the engines only have an hour of actual use.

I can only really say I went through the process some years ago and chose the lombardini. Great little motor, light, easy to shift around and install , lift etc. No problems except the exhaust elbow/ mixer after about 7 years needed replacing.
    Most of the classics here seem to choose them, possibly I had some influence there. My son looks after a boat with one , One of my closest friends just fitted a 40. I just don't see why you'd put something in that is significantly heavier and physically bigger , there's always something else that you could use the weight differential for for , bigger tanks etc.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I can only really say I went through the process some years ago and chose the lombardini. Great little motor, light, easy to shift around and install , lift etc. No problems except the exhaust elbow/ mixer after about 7 years needed replacing.
    Most of the classics here seem to choose them, possibly I had some influence there. My son looks after a boat with one , One of my closest friends just fitted a 40. I just don't see why you'd put something in that is significantly heavier and physically bigger , there's always something else that you could use the weight differential for for , bigger tanks etc.
    Thanks JB, I’m waiting to hear back from the rep’ to see how the price has changed since I last looked. at 99kg and supplied with a 120A alternator the 20hp LDW702A looks interesting.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Craftsman diesel is a newish supplier of Mitsubishi based blocks, assembled with their own marine parts in Holland, prices are below Vetus (same engine block) and the spares are cheaper than vetus on my last check. There was a Oz supplier with a video on Utube. The CM16 twin looks about right.
    I had a Bukh 10 single in my 28ft Ferro Hartley, (7 tons) and it was fine. Did throw a large prop, but had no prblem keeping way on going through the straights of Gib with a Levater blowing and short steep seas, nor pushing out of a estuary/river mouth with a hard tide against us.
    A 20 triple might run a bit smoother than a smaller twin, but i find the price increase percentage will be above the performance percentage in comparison.
    Reading through "Yacht Cruising" by Claud Worth, his calculations for hp on a H28 would suggest an engine of 3.25hp.

There's a 3 cyclinder heat exchanger cooled 3JH25 Yanmar with gearbox at 200hrs here at Ł2595.

http://www.marineenterprisesltd.co.uk/

Might be good value with the pound devaluation. Say they ship worldwide...

SKB....they've got some 20 & 30hp ex lifeboat Sabb's in, any experience with the bigger ones?

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 01-09-2017 at 05:29 AM.