Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Being called into a boatyard to do a few odd jobs

Default Re: Being called into a boatyard to do a few odd jobs

I can't say exactly for the loose lead - that was back in 1991 when I removed the loose lead. I think it must have been 150 - 200 lbs. Trim in 1991 was much better then after the loose lead. Then of course in 1994 I re-engined and I think I shed close to 200 lbs comparing a Volvo 2030 versus the old 1500 BMC + clutch assembly + gearbox + reduction box. The bilge keels are estimated at 390 lbs total (must get the yard to dig out the scales). That seems like a lot shed; close to 600lbs. But since I am now convinced that the bilge keels were a complete after-thought in 1988 and the loose lead was added in 1988 at the same time, the weight may only have lost 200 lbs max against her original design. I can add standard lead ingots easily at 100 kg and another 50 kg if I re-route my fuel line, possibly 100 kg if re-routed. So 220 lbs easily + another 220 lbs.

Got the most difficult quadrant sorted and sealed down

It as been a long job and at time difficult however the end result is worth the time

Got the most difficult quadrant sorted and sealed down

It as been a long job and at time difficult however the end result is worth the time

The next project to restore this old Enterprise to its former glory

Find a spot and start there

One job well on its way the decks with a fresh coat of varnish.

The deck on the Enterprise dinghy are coming along well with the last of the very thinned down coats of varnish being applied.

The grain of the plywood is now filled and now the surface can be sanded to a flat finish and the varnish depth can now be build up.

The inside and the bottom panels of the dinghy have been given a good cleaning so the bottom can be primed with yacht primer before the bottom panels are re-painted with anti slip paint

Now it as been cleaned both the bottom and the side panels the varnish work can be sanded down to bare wood where necessary

The yacht started the day with fairing filler on the hull then came the long job of sanding the filler back and flattening the paint back to a smooth finish

it took a while, however it was worth the time to get it fair

Then came the coat of primer to seal the surface and highlight any areas that were missed

After it was painted grey primer it was left for several hours to dry off and then it was painted with white undercoat again.

The change from grey primer to white is almost complete with several coats of undercoat going on.

Now it is ready for the final fine filling and the last couple of coats of undercoat before the ivory top coat goes on

Just got to do a small deck repair on the port side and the toe rail and rubbing stake can go back on and painting on the hull can be finished off.

Quote Originally Posted by jstarboats View Post
    The yacht started the day with fairing filler on the hull then came the long job of sanding the filler back and flattening the paint back to a smooth finish

it took a while, however it was worth the time to get it fair

Then came the coat of primer to seal the surface and highlight any areas that were missed

After it was painted grey primer it was left for several hours to dry off and then it was painted with white undercoat again.
    Please could you let us know what filler you used for fairing and whether you sanded manually or used a sander ?
    Thanks !
    Nick

It is a two pack filler which I have used for years and it can be sanded by hand or a machine sander and board sanded as well to give a fair surface.

Quote Originally Posted by jstarboats View Post
    It is a two pack filler which I have used for years and it can be sanded by hand or a machine sander and board sanded as well to give a fair surface.
    Many thanks. Which filler is it ? I ask because I've got a complete hull to do as well in the next couple of months - a scale of job I've not done before, being pretty new into the trade.
    Nick

The final coat of ivory gloss and the first coat of read antifouling

Looking good all round and getting ready to go back afloat for a new season and its new owner

The cockpit quadrants are now finished and the owner is now coating them with varnish

This job took a lot of patience and shaping of quadrants to make them fit correctly and look the part.

This area of the galley the owner wants to make into usable space for plates and other cooking essentials

Now comes the brain storming part to make a mock up of the finished lockers then make up the real thing once the owner signs off on the design.

Neat work. What do you bed the quadrants with?
    thanks

Hi
    they were bedded on with a non Harding sealant.

Regards
    Simon J-Star