Thread: Calling all Arctic Tern and Sooty Tern builder/sailors

Default Calling all Arctic Tern and Sooty Tern builder/sailors

Its been a few months since I posted anything on my New Joel White Pooduck Build. The Pooduck is a great little boat, just a little to little.

I'm thinking of starting an Arctic Tern build. I looked at the Fulmar, but I love the looks of Ian's double enders. This will be only my second build. I work mostly alone and have somewhat limited workspace, so the AT is about as big as I can go.

Question 1

I'm some what confused about the Arctic Tern plans. Have not purchased them yet. Is the J2 the newest AT, the one that is the better for sailing/less about rowing one? Do both the AT and ST plans come together? I read a post where someone tried to explain all the differences, but is was quite old and I was still some what confused.

Question 2

This is to anyone that has sailed an AT. Can it carry four people (total) for a days sailing? This will be the yawl rig.

Question 3/4

Is there any lofting for the AT? Any full size patterns?

There is not a lot of current info/pictures of an AT build on the forum. Any info on sailing quality of the yawl rig greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

John

Default Re: Calling all Arctic Tern and Sooty Tern builder/sailors

1. I'm 97% sure that J2 was the beta for the AT. The AT and the Sooty Tern plans come together. The Sooty Tern is basically the same boat, but with each of the stations spaced out a touch.

2. Yes, it can carry four people, barely, but I'd want to double-check the designed displacement against the total weight of the boat, gear, captain, and passengers. Space-wise, things will be very tight. Your patience may vary, as well. It'd be difficult to scramble forward to deal with the halyard/downhaul. It'd be easier to take that many people if someone up front knows how to handle the deployment and dousing of the main.

3/4. No lofting is required. You will receive offsets, construction plans, and full-sized outlines of each station, as well as outlines of the stems fore and aft.

I've never actually built an Artic Tern, thank you very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Yeadon's comments will have to do now that McMullen has checked out of the Hotel California.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Thanks Yeadon, you cleared up a few things for me.

It won't always be four, mostly just me and my wife, less than 300Lbs (that would be total, me and my wife) had to make sure I got that straight.

John

Hi Geraddm, who is McMullen, I know of the Hotel California. I thought you could never leave, only check out.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JCR1 View Post
    Any info on sailing quality of the yawl rig greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

John
    The sailing qualities of the yawl rig are great! Think of the mizzen as an air rudder. You can use it to trim the drive of the rig, or more importantly, hold the boat head to wind while you deal with other things instead of sailing. Very handy.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

Hi Ben, thanks for the info. I think its all most time to pull the trigger and buy the plans!

John

I've built two Arctic Terns. Great boats. The Arctic Tern would be fine for sailing with another for a day. Getting tight if you plan on overnighting. I day sailed mine with four of us once. Definitely not the ideal scenario.
    The Sooty Tern is going to be a considerably roomier and faster boat. If you have the room and the extra money, I'd advise building the larger boat.

The plans include patterns that in my case were mostly fairly accurate. You will have to spring battens around all the molds to ensure that things are fair and you'll want to be extra diligent when lining out for planking that the sweep of your planks, and sheer is just so.

John:
    If you can possibly swing building one in your available space, we would heartily endorse the Sooty Tern. Vicky and I bought a used one last March from Andrew in Victoria, BC and have been having a delightful time sailing and rowing WEE BONNIE, as we named her, on our local body of water (Morro Bay, CA). I had already purchased a set of plans directly from Iain to build one before stumbling on Andrew's ad online. I had been planning to add a temporary extension to my garage to accommodate the 20' length, but this summer, when we got involved in modding and refinishing her, we discovered that she fit fine (at a diagonal) without any extension. Patience, rolling tools and benches, and possibly a rolling building jig all would contribute to making it happen if you are willing to make a try at it.

They are very sweet boats to sail and row, though having 4 aboard could be entertaining if the crew are not nimble or knowledgeable. WEE BONNIE is spacious for just the two of us. There are over 15 threads here in the building forums about Sooty Terns and they share a tremendous amount of useful information, both from a building perspective as well as from sailing/camping experiences. Good luck with your search and please remember to share the experience with all of us.
    Cheers,
    Last edited by MAGIC's Craig; 01-04-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: insert image

I love my Arctic Tern. It is not a yawl, just the single balanced lug. It sails beautifully and rows well and 2hp o/b will push her comfortably into a stiff headwind.

4 people is a stretch and not comfortable under sail but ok under motor.

The Sooty will be faster and more capacious particularly for carrying gear and overnighting and no more difficult to build - just more materials hence more capital investment and handling longer planks.

Oughtred's plans are excellent and used in conjunction with his book and this forum you should have a very successful outcome.

Good luck

Graeme

I built and sail a Ness Yawl, which is the same size as the Sooty Tern (and about 2 feet longer than the Arctic Tern). Three comments, off the top of my head:
    1. As others have said, Iain's plans are great and no lofting is required.
    2. The lug yawl rig is the way to go for ease of set up, one handed sailing, and all around cool.
    3. I can carry four people in my boat and it's fine for an afternoon. The boat is perfect and roomy for two.

Post lots of pictures as you build your boat!

Cheers,
    Garth

Agree on all fronts with what others above had said. Two adults and two kids are OK for a day sail. Four adults is a chore.

Andy M built my boat. I have lots of pics on my website noted below. Also this year' Small Boats Annual has a review of the AT and a few similar boats worthy of consideration.

-Bruce
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Thank you all for your help. I think its still going to be the Arctic Tern, with the yawl rig. I looked at the AT review in Small Boats Monthly, looks great and sails great. The AT fits my building space. Most of my sailing will be solo or with my wife, on the Conesus lake, one of the New York State finger lakes. At 18ft plus, that's plenty of boat for that lake.

For this year I'll be sailing the Pooduck, when I 'am not building the Arctic Tern! I hope to order the AT plans this week.

John

Thanks everyone for all the info. I thought I had my mind made up on the Arctic Tern. Now it looks like its going to be the Sooty Tern. I think I can make it fit in the space I have to work with. After reading Vernon thread, 20' Sooty Tern, nice work Vernon, I ordered the Sooty supplement. It should be here in a week or two.

Its almost time to get the Pooduck down from the wall. I still need to finish up the floor boards and a few small things. Then its on to the Sooty Tern.