Thread: Building Hylan's Bowler Boat

Default Building Hylan's Bowler Boat

Has anyone out there built a Hylan designed Bowler - 26 foot outboard overnighter.

Default Re: Building Hylan's Bowler Boat

I would sure like to see one on the forum.

Paulrieur ME TOO

I'll likely be buying the plans this week pending answers on a few questions. We saw Bagatelle on her mooring in Brooklin during last year's Small Reach Regatta and were really taken by her lines. The wife however would like a bit more enclosed pilothouse similar to Tom Lathrop's Bluejacket 27 design, so I've reached out to Hylan and Brown about the suitability of stretching Bowler 12-18" and adding a bit of weight. We could also mount the outboard on the transom to free up the same space but in my opinion that would take away some of the design's charm.
    "You may be orange, you may like hamburgers, and you may be a clown, but you sir are no Ronald McDonald" - John Stewart

Paul Rieur I would love to follow your thread. THX

I’m building Bowler! 2 years in, a slow enjoyable pace, 6-10 years or so more. With the goal of taking some time off work and cruising the Great Loop when she’s ready to cruise. Money and Time are my build constraints, along with many project that are also enjoyable.

I’ll post up some photos of what I have so far and build photos of Bagatelle that were included with the plans.

I purchased paper plans along with the full size mylar plans, the full size Mylar plans are a thing of beauty. Unfortunately I’ll probably only use them for the stem shape, because I now have the CNC cut building forms or Moulds stashed in the shop, along with the Ladder Frame building jig. I asked Hewes & Company to add 3 inches between each bulkhead, which Stretches Blower to around 30.’ They were great to work with. They sent off the files to Turn Point Design in Port Townsend for the wood to be cut.

I was happy with the response I got when I asked Hylan and Brown Boat Builders about stretching to 30’

Derek,

Our rule of thumb is 10%. And stretching is always a better bet than shrinking as far as the resultant appearance and functionality. Technically stretching BOWLER 10% would give you around 29’. Thirty feet should be ok. She’s already pretty narrow at the waterline. So stretching her out and keeping the beam will result in a very skinny boat. But there are great advantages to a long, narrow light displacement boat: good speed and great fuel economy with less horsepower.

Hope that helps,

To date, I’ve built the inner and outer stems, along with Floor Timbers. I’ve stored some Older Growth Doug Fir for the Chines and Sheer Clamps. I’ve got the Dark Red Mahogany and ½ inch ply set aside for the laminated keel.

I built her Dinghy, a Portage Pram, 37 lbs. Great little boat! very seaworthy with two up.

We just started in on our kitchen remodel and want to finish this summer, so the build is on pause, "I can get back to boat work once the kitchen is done" is my mantra. Come winter the plan is to erect the building shed, something that will last 6-10 years. It’s a narrow build space, 9 feet between our house and fence. Connected to my shop on one side and the road on the other.

In response to Mike J, I bet Hylan and Brown would be fine with a 12-18” stretch, but I think adding weight on this style of boat is the enemy. Gotta keep 'em light for the efficiency. That being said, I plan on adding a cabin all the way back, I plan on keeping it as light as possible. (Typically I over load my scamp, her cavernous storage can lead to over packing)
    I bet the motor hanging off the back is out aswell, every thing would have to change to carry that weight aft. Check out the Gatsby, she’s a looker!

I’ll post pictures over the next couple of weeks. Also some Scamp Photos, John Welsford really hit the nail on the head with Scamp, She's incredibly seaworthy and tough, a great gunkholing cruiser, also maximum cute factor.
    Pictured is Pirate Crew from Scamp Camp I! Very salty dudes Keith and Dale, I'm in green on the right. Keith and Dale built their own scamps alongside Liberty 53, Zephyr and Luna. We've been sailing the bottom paint off for a couple summers now, mainly on the Columbia River and the Puget Sound.

Fair Winds!

-Derek
    DSCN0403B.jpgDSC02233B.jpgDSC02220.jpgIMG_0917.jpg2e9858ad-0647-412d-93ce-e1c0b6fbaf84.jpg
    Last edited by Liberty53; 06-23-2020 at 09:07 PM.

She's Striking! More build photos that came with the plans. Mine is a bunch of pieces in the corner of the shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Liberty53; 06-23-2020 at 09:12 PM.

Derek, thanks for the photos and great to hear that there's a Bowler build in progress!

Over the past few days my wife and I have firmly decided to build the Bowler, after a lot of going back and forth between it and the Bluejacket 271 I already have plans for. The Bluejacket was definitely going to be the next boat until we accidentally wound up in Maine, where the Bowler's greater deadrise is better suited for the Maine coast. If anyone reading this is interested in a building a Bowler I highly recommend checking out the Bluejacket, especially if you're looking for a bit more pilothouse.

I'm curious what your thoughts are for adding on to the pilothouse. Our goal is to add as little as possible to the structure and use some custom canvas to allow us to be fully enclosed when necessary. I recall seeing Bagatelle with rolled up canvas for enclosing the area between the side windows and the rear roof posts, so that will be my starting point. The main goal will be to stay as close to the profile and length Hylan drew and to use the same style for any changes I make. If you're interested I'd be happy to share with you via PM the many drawings I will be creating as I try out ideas, although I wouldn't feel comfortable posting them here unless I remove dimensions and such to protect the designer's rights.

At last years Small Reach Regatta, there was a Scamp being single-handed by an old salt that was stunningly fast. It was one of those times when you wonder if you're really seeing what you're seeing! We sailed my Oughtred Fulmar in the company of minuteman's Navigator, and I couldn't be more impressed with all of the Welsford boats we saw.

Please sir, keep the pics coming!

Mike
    "You may be orange, you may like hamburgers, and you may be a clown, but you sir are no Ronald McDonald" - John Stewart

Here is the transom glue up in the living room, in retro spec I would have added more cross bars and used larger wood screw clamps instead of the metal. Once I cut it to final size I'll spend some time with filler getting it fair.

4 layers of 1/4 meranti plywood, most epoxy I ever used at one time for sure!
    I ran out of epoxy after 3 plys, and had to glue the 4th on the inside a week later.

The piece is VERY solid, I'm excited to see it with "Lacy Lu" written on it.

-Derek
    8E169519-E683-407A-A858-1D4B9AB40738.jpgEE077247-1F77-43E2-B718-D23EEA2A4FA1.jpg2D2A2F3D-7436-4989-8BD2-B7A8B52F8A30.jpg57136F5C-0BA1-408A-80C4-C4C60B615A63.jpgE035AE3D-39D4-4E97-9B6B-3DB4A84F6C2A.jpg

Here is the glue up of my floor timbers, Loving my new track saw!

-Derek

Lots of interesting features on this enlarged Hylan MARSH HEN: https://www.offcenterharbor.com/vide...boat-cruising/
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Thank you I continue to avidly follow. Newbie. question.What is the advantage over table say. Thanks again
    Last edited by Paul Rieur; 07-19-2020 at 02:53 PM.

How can you not follow a thread where there is an epoxy transom glue-up done in the living room...?

About the track saw, I wouldn't say it's a replacement for table saw. I picked it up because I've always had a hard time cutting a straight line. Lucky there aren't too many straight lines in a boat. My typical move has to cut a bit wide and use a hand plane to meet whatever line I'm trying to cut.

I picked up the track saw mainly for the bottom of Bowler, a lot of straight cuts in big sheets of plywood. two layers of 3/8 ply make up the bottom, joints staggered. I wanted to be able to clamp the track down and make a straight cut.

Here are some pictures of the pros at work (not my boat)
    DSC_0056_1.jpg
    DSC_00601_1.jpg
    DSC_00731_1.jpg

After using my track saw on the floor timbers, my kitchen floor, and some big planks of Mahogany: I'M IN LOVE!

It's a great tool, especially for people working alone.
    I bought the makita, and used the money I saved to buy the 118" Festool guide rail, the nicest tool I own.

-Derek

No work on Bowler until the kitchen remodel is done, and sailing trips like this recent one are slowing that down.
    Here's some photos of the week long river cruise we just got back from. Put in at Cathlamet WA, sailed to Astoria and Back. Fellow scamper Keith was along on his boat as well.

IMG_1510.jpgIMG_1517.jpgIMG_1527.jpgIMG_1624.jpg

Derek

Here are some pictures of my Bowler, "Lacy lu"

Super proud of this #7 bulkhead, it came with the CNC Cam setup kit. I had to glue the two halves together and build up the cleats on the outside, also glue on the floor timber. 3/4 maranti ply, rock solid! with mahogany cleats. The ship-lap lines came cnc routed F6BB60E9-69E1-4375-9184-E73C63AB2F62.jpg

My wife got into my wood stash and snagged a piece of mahogany that was destined for the Keel lamination. We used it as a "king plank" transition between the old kitchen floor and the new kitchen floor. this floor is going to look so damn sweet once we seal it.

D4652D9A-4E80-430D-9D9D-E3E524938CE9.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks for all the insperatioanal pictures Paul

Great to see your Lacy Lou on the forum, Derek!!! Sure wish I could’ve made it out onto the Columbia with you guys this year... fingers crossed for opened borders next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered a set of Bowler plans yesterday. Looking forward to this build though it is intimidating, The scale is huge compared to the Point Comfort 18 I just built. I do have lots of time ahead to build it, no rush.
    I'm also glad there is a build thread started!
    Rob

I ordered a set of Bowler plans yesterday. Looking forward to this build though it is intimidating, The scale is huge compared to the Point Comfort 18 I just built. I do have lots of time ahead to build it, no rush.
    I'm also glad there is a build thread started!
    Rob

Liberty53,

I am just about ready to take the plunge myself. Still figuring out where to build. I will need a temporary shelter. I have a former boss building a Hylan designed 32 footer that will be a great resource for my questions etc. Keep posting your progress. I am very interested.

Paul

Here is some inner stem action, Stacked plywood construction. 4 layers of 3/4 meranti, pre cut with the Cam-Setup kit.

The outer stem is laminated using the inner as the form. I'll post pictures of the outer eventually.

F671EB49-CF34-442E-957F-5C13C114DACE.jpg4517B2E9-5E0F-4B95-98CF-E18FD5575B69.jpg43DA5CF7-122B-4FAF-82D5-020556857A51.jpg

-Derek

Outer stem: I went a little overboard thinking, " well I don't want to make it too small."

The size of this piece blew me away, I remember holding it up thinking, "this is going to be a big boat!"

I'm excited.

35A02124-28A6-4D15-A811-BE424BBB9ACD.jpgE1754D1F-D8BA-46EB-9939-473BB382A239.jpg5AF164DD-DC7A-4748-865F-0D49104D966A.jpgC2076997-17A5-48EA-BB94-C02876CF96C4.jpg85E70516-90C7-42C8-B8FF-A0168BF82845.jpg

-Derek

Neat! That is a big hunk of stem. I'll be following as this is the leading candidate for the next build, whenever I get the current one done.
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Looks great! And wow that looks big. So the inner stem is 3/4 ply and the outer is steamed and laminated Doug fir?
    love the photos, thanks for posting. Gives me a good visual of what I’m headed into!
    Rob.

Hey Derek,

Did Hewes cut the inner stem pieces to the lofting or did they adjust the dimensions relative to station 1? I'm stretching my build out 7%, so when I lofted the inner stem pieces I adjusted the measurements back to station 1 by the same amount. The largest adjustment was 1-5/16" at the stem head, so I don't know how much difference it will really make when fairing the topsides. Thanks for the pics though, I missed the "tabs" on the inner stem for the stringers to land on. Thankfully I haven't cut them yet!

Mike

SBrookman, Awesome build blogs. Great looking boat family. Sjogin is going to be a sweet gunkhuller. Little stove going in? Bilge keels are Sweet, 180# each! too cool. I love laying flat when dried out. My Scamp has twin skegs that I appreciate.

-Derek

MikeJ,

The inner stem is cut to the stock lofting. My stretching is a result of adding 3" between each station on the Ladder frame. 25" between instead of 22"

Hopfully that works out, long and skinny is what I'm going for.

-Derek

Finkeel,

Correct, inner stem is 4 layers of 3/4, outer stem is laminated doug fir or mahogany. I went with mahogany.

Point comfort 18's seem like an awesome boat! I've lusted over them before.

-Derek

The Bowler stem build photos you've posted look very similar to the PC 18 build I did. Familiar set up so far, and other photos I've found online are no different.
    I'm just adding a 8 foot section to my shop to accommodate the new boat build, hoping to start the stem, or transom next week. I'm glad you have this thread started. I'll try to do the same with photos as I go. Plans should arrive any day now.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty53 View Post
    Finkeel,

Correct, inner stem is 4 layers of 3/4, outer stem is laminated doug fir or mahogany. I went with mahogany.

-Derek
    Never Trade Luck for Skill.

IMG_1720.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty53 View Post
    Finkeel,

-Derek
    Never Trade Luck for Skill.

DAMN SWEET boat!!

Nice work man!