Thread: Fiddlers Green - a Tahiti ketch

Default Fiddlers Green - a Tahiti ketch

I am posting the details of Tahiti ketch called Fiddlers Green. I inherited some papers after the death of a rare audacious character who passed this fall. The first find is a letter from John Boston dated 1970 to the new owner. The letter included these details: Fiddlers Green was built in Swampscott, Massachusetts in 1956 by Captain George Boston at his home, taking 2 and half years(12 to 18 hours each day). The 3,000-3,200lb cast iron shoe was cast the Lynn General Electric plant.

"The only help George had was an occasional hand from my mother or from me. He wanted to feel that [he] built this boat entirely on his own. I can truthfully say that this boat was 99% constructed by George from stem to stern." -John Boston
    Fiddlers Green Paradise Rd. Swampscott, Ma September 18,1956

Default Re: Fiddlers Green - a Tahiti ketch

Wonder where the boat is now. Still around? Waiting somewhere for George?

Here is an article from 1959. It describes one of Captain George's adventures in Fiddlers Green. The headline isn't flattering.

This image was developed at the same time as the frame picture. It must be from around the time of the launch.

I helped sail a friend's Tahiti ketch for a short stretch (Miami to The Berry Isles) of his circumnavigation. That boat was built at approximately the same time as Fiddler's Green but was Marconi rigged. It was a great trip and I enjoyed the boat a lot, celebrating my 21st birthday in Nassau. WB #8 has an article about the Panama Canal to Tahiti passage.

Last edited by rbgarr; 12-28-2016 at 11:02 AM.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Some years ago a wooden boat named Fiddler's Green was being moved around the Caribbean, they were looking for crew, even inexperienced. Back of my leg still hurts from kicking myself from not taking that one on.

The headline was written by someone who had done a RTW themselves how many times? It really is the journey, trying twice is better than sitting home not doing it at all (he says to himself, recollecting many journeys that were more fun than the destination).

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    depends on what she was fastened with.