Thread: First ad I see

Default First ad I see

in the recent Jan/Feb issue is for Interlux bottom paint. Nothing wrong with that. But, the boat shown is a big, ugly fiberglass powerboat, the very opposite of what WoodenBoat Magazine is all about. It's not bad enough that it's in there, but it's a full two page ad that hits you right in the face when opening the magazine. It's enough to make me buy another brand of paint! Surely someone could come up with a photo of a nice wooden boat using Interlux paint.
    For the record, I've been receiving WoodenBoat for well over 30 years and this is my first complaint. So, well done, WBM, but let's not be showing anymore fiberglass tubs in your advertising.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Default Re: First ad I see

Hello Rich,
    I looked at that ad to see what you saw. What I see is indeed a power boat, but don't see much of that (like almost none at all). There is the stainless tube supporting the bimini, otherwise it seems to be a happy family enjoying the water. I can imagine that the Interlux ad people tried one showing more of the type boat you speak of and came around to this as less objectionable. I like wood myself but that ad might pay for the whole production.

It might be a case of Interlux missing the boat (ahem) on what their audience cares about. OTOH, maybe Interlux has it on good authority that a sizeable number of WB magazine readers in fact own one or more fiberglass boats (or are thinking of owning one in the future), and therefore showing a fiberglass boat in a WB advertisement will sell more paint than showing a wooden boat. Dunno. If I was messing around with their marketing I'd be game to test it.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    It might be a case of Interlux missing the boat (ahem) on what their audience cares about. OTOH, maybe Interlux has it on good authority that a sizeable number of WB magazine readers in fact own one or more fiberglass boats (or are thinking of owning one in the future), and therefore showing a fiberglass boat in a WB advertisement will sell more paint than showing a wooden boat. Dunno. If I was messing around with their marketing I'd be game to test it.
    Possible, but everyone knows that today's bottom paints are compatible with FG boats. What Interlux should be doing is showing that their product is suitable for wooden boats. Apparently, WoodenBoat Magazine isn't a big enough fish to warrant a separate picture of a wooden boat for Interlux's advertisement. Interlux paid top dollar for that two page opening spread. You'd think their ad people would research who they're selling to.
    Pettit bottom paint. That what I'm now going to buy!

Sorry, Rich, That was Nov-Dec. Jan-Feb arrived today! What can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Sorry, Rich, That was Nov-Dec. Jan-Feb arrived today! What can you do?
    Looking back over a few issues, I can see that Interlux has advertised on those opening pages often. This issue, however, really jumped out at me because it showed an ugly old FG powerboat blasting along. Other issues ads didn't show the boats so much.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Does the model have fake breastessess?

Are you saying that there IS a use for silicone rubber on a boat?
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch