Thread: My new Jan/Feb WB has a warm fuzzy section; Getting Started In Boats

Default My new Jan/Feb WB has a warm fuzzy section; Getting Started In Boats

I favor Sharpies and other thin water designs, and Meadowlark, illustrated on page 5, is among my all-time favorites. I always considered my 28' Shearwater Yawl by Edey & Duff to be a smaller rendition of Meadowlark. The section even includes the famed wooden Higgins Boats LCVP's. Another favorite are Cargo Scows, like the ALMA on display on San Francisco Bay. But it is the wheelbarrow/dinghy shown on page 8 that has really gotten me excited this morning. It is a pram with a wheel partially buried in a bow compartment and gunwale strakes carried aft of the transom for a pair of handles. PURE GENIUS! I'm going to doodle some ideas for a wheel mounted on a hinged bracket that might be added to the bow of our CLC Eastport Pram instead of being built into the flotation chamber. The bracket would be constructed mostly of plywood (like the Eastport) and hopefully not interfere with having a passenger seated on the bow thwart when the boat is employed as a dinghy.
    Last edited by Nicholas Scheuer; 12-17-2016 at 03:11 PM.

Default Re: My new Jan/Feb WB has a warm fuzzy section; Getting Started In Boats

another option is a wheel mounted to a board that could be slid up into the daggerboard slot from below
    a big fat puffy wheel barrel wheel gives a gentler ride to your tender over ground but a hard wheel will be easier to push

i haven't gotten my new issue yet, but i certainly am looking forward to it
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.