Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: 1961 Chris Craft constellation refit/repower long term project.

Default Re: 1961 Chris Craft constellation refit/repower long term project.

I'd be standing on someone's desk yelling about it.
    http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

Remember I said a local friend works for the EPA? You see as a contractor I have all these osha safety courses and they work from second level scaffolding all the time un-harnessed. Also they are re-building the 40 year old docks with zero water protection. If it hits the water it's all good to them. Paint, rust, fiberglassed docking material, dust of every kind......
    Now yesterday with no one with a clue what was going on from the harbor master to the owner a 50' house boat shows up and hits a .5 million dollar carter 62'. It's like doing donuts in a parking lot full of Bentley in a 69 vw. The marina response was it's between the insurance companies.

I have a sneely suspussion the epa and osha will get some pics sent to them with a request on a follow up.

Well Dear me osha was not happy with the pic of the scaffolding on a floating house boat sent them. Dam that a big fine! I bet the EPA won't be happy with a demolishion on a pre lead and asbestos year boat in open air without testing......
    Last edited by Hill160881; 03-26-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Got back to the boat for a week or two and started off installing the wiring harnesses from the engines to the seagauge and helm.

Today I got some wiring done and finished the helm.

Up and running. At lease the head unit is.

These wires are the ones that are for the gauges and goes into the seagauge interface module. I will build a weather back plug for each engine and another one powers the unit.

Tomorrow I will start setting the port engine.

Got the basic wiring of the seagauge interface module done. Only temp,oil pressure, volts, and rpm, for now. I need a temp sensor for the engine oil, another tempnsensor for the transmission fluid, and a pressure sensor for the trans fluid. I also have 12 status indicators I can program down the line.

First I made up the power plug

Then the rpm and alarm plug.

Then wired up the sensor wires to there plug and finished it up.

Ahh ... the fun stuff!
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Ok a much awaited week. Assuming I could get the company I paid to install these engines would actually do it. Since I can't I will do it myself and hope I done make any mistakes.

I designed made the new engine mounts. I tried to keep it as simple as possible. The flat pieces will gain into the inside of the stringer where the transmission mounts bolt to the side of the stringer. This will transfer the stress to the whole stringer notnthentop 1". The T shaped mounts are the front engine mounts. The stringers are to far apart so I gave them an inch of overhang. The notch is to allow access to the nut on the bottom once the bolt is installed.

Engine mounts installed for a test fit. Once I have final alignment I will bolt the front ones down and drill the rear ones.

It's a far cry from the 4 lag bolts that held down the old engines. You could pick the boat up by the engines now.
    Last edited by Hill160881; 04-21-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Its really close. Today I plan to do the final alignment and mark the rear and front mounts for the stringer bolts. Then I have to remove the engine again and dril and install the bolts, paint and finalize the install. Then it's bolt it in and hose it. Then do it all over again in the starboard side
    Sitting on the new mounts it is really close.

just a little lift aft and a little more forward, very close! One of what I call "pigs in space" jobs where you can't see where you'll be until you are there. Will you get your money back or will it go for other things (which would be ok if needed)?

Quote Originally Posted by Hill160881 View Post
    Got the basic wiring of the seagauge interface module done. Only temp,oil pressure, volts, and rpm, for now. I need a temp sensor for the engine oil, another tempnsensor for the transmission fluid, and a pressure sensor for the trans fluid. I also have 12 status indicators I can program down the line.

First I made up the power plug

Then the rpm and alarm plug.

Then wired up the sensor wires to there plug and finished it up.
    Congratulations on the great job you are undertaking.

I am somewhat curious about your choice of the electrical connectors displayed in these photos........as I am about to redo the wiring on my twin-engine installation.

The colour coding on the female connectors is a pretty effective way of separating diverse wiring needs ...which eventually converge on the main assembly box holding the male connectors.

Can you be so kind as to share the manufacturer part number / spec ?

Are the pins on said connectors tinned or silver/gold plated ? Is the assembly splash proof ?

I will be in the US in a couple of weeks and am looking into picking up a sure-fire product for this re-wiring app....and BTW, I was in SFO in 1972 on a business trip and actually went up one weekend to Stockton, to meet up with US friends I had known in London (UK)...got to see the Stockton shipyard from a distance etc.

The seagauge system was a kit with plugs and pins included. You have to assemble it. The wiring harnesses from the engines are standard analog harnesses.

This is the company i got the gauge interface module from.

http://www.digitalmarinegauges.com/

For my particular seagauge unit I had the following pinnout

And for the crusader engines I had the following wiring diagram to follow.

You simply put the two together using the supplied plug/pin set. Then a single nmea2000 cable goes to the simrad display at the helm.

My other option was to get a new classic gauge set which still leaves you needing a head unit for sonar, radar...... I chose the seagauge unit because it was about $800 which was cheaper than a nice classic gauge set and it's more modern.

Many thanks for the info supplied.

Actually my setup is quite rudimentary in comparison to yours, to include standard analogue engine gauges and sensors (resistive sort), the fuel-injection (diesel) pump command, ignition starter relay command and contact-type temperature alarms, namely for engine coolant, wet-exhaust and gear-box fluid (ATF).

Just guessing.... but the male/female connectors in your photos look much like an Amphenol product that I took a fancy to on a boat visiting at my Club.....I had jotted down the part nš but seem to have misplaced it.

I located it on Amazon.com using the part nš.... but havenīt had any luck doing a search without said part nš

Awaiting any further data that you may have.

Thanks again.

The plugs/pins are made by deutsch.

Personally I would run the marine engine harness to a junction block under the gauges/helm then run separate labeled wires to the gauges from there. This is not the best picture but I run everything to a junction bar then to the actual appliance/gauge. I only used those plugs for the seagauge module.
    Last edited by Hill160881; 04-23-2017 at 08:50 PM.

I Googled some hours ago and found just one site marketing a limited number of Deutsch connectors, similar to yours, under the Amphenol umbrella !

So I looked for Deutsch connectors and ran into the following, which I recall visiting around 15 months ago:

https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&r...R19naDs3r201Og

Eureka........ we indeed have a supplier !

The idea is to have a female 12-pin Deutsch flange-mount installed in a SS box which will sit on the left side - cooler side, looking at the engine from the front - of the engine and distribute the wiring accordingly to the sensors, relays, etc; a male plug then leads this wiring to the helmsmanīs station.

Your comments are welcome and many thanks again

Glad to help.

Just one more thing....did you get by with an off-the-shelf crimping tool or did you buy one of theirs at a couple of hundred dollars each ?

Off the shelf tool. Nothing fancy.

Off the shelf tool. Nothing fancy.
    Nice to know that. Thanks again.

Any updates ... ???
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Crap I forgot about this thread.
    Much has happened.
    https://youtu.be/7tEz0B4b57Y

Just finished the shake down. The stem was really dries out and leaked bad but other than that things went smooth. They fire up at the push of a button. No more cranking and pumping anything.

https://youtu.be/X-W9CKKon6Y

The system I used to move the engines around to do the work.

https://youtu.be/GDhtY_lrpSU

I installed a new stank tank. That's it tucked nicely beside the starboard engine.

New house batteries but no inverter yet. 4 of these and I think maybe another 4 at some point.

With the lid on waiting to be connected to a charger/inverter.

But next I need to install the new AIS simrad radio I have and take care Of the bridge area. I still need to install the new horns, anchor light and try to run wiring for any future widgets I may wan on top of the boat.
    I want to get these goodies installed this week or next.

I did get the time to remove the 1980s wet bar, mini refrigerator and ice maker and found a covered up window.

Then where the idiot cut a hole in the main bulkhead and chopped the helm to install a stupid thing I patched the hole as best I can and plan to repair the helm as well. The main bulkhead and helm will be the onlympainted areas due to the fact I can't afford to fix it the right way by rebuilding the bulkhead and helm from scratch.

I replaced all rubber exhaust connections through the system. I also double clamped it all.

Even the really hard to get to ones.

Is that dry exhaust? If so, it may be a good idea to wrap them with exhaust blankets. At least I know them as exhaust blankets. They probably have a different name, but they work like an insulating blanket on a household water heater, except rated for a lot higher temps.
    http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

Thankfully it is a wet exhaust system.

I want to let people know that read this and think it looks like fun and romantic. It is but....... You need patients. For every great moment it can take months to set it up. Scheduals? Haha that's a good one. I am my own boss and make my hours and am 4 years into this. Start with the things that keep the boat floating thenmove on from there.

Please se please be careful adding power to old wooden boats. I added only 220 hp and 110 fptq and ended up reinforcing the stringers. When choosing engines consider the vibrations the new engines will make. Old wooden boats can vibrate apart. That's why I have gas and not diesel.

The new engine will have nonproblem doing 4600+ and 28 knots. That's faster than my tender haha. I will only do a wot test once to get the prop pitched properly. Also to do a drone fly around as my brother is a professional drone pilot and has $10k drones. A 60 year old 50' wooden boat smoking it at 32 mph will make for a good drone video espically if something goes wrong

All installed electronics work as advertised but with only one problem. I can't display more than one engine on my simrad 16nss. Maybe I can but I can't figure it out. I tried assigning different sources to different gauges but it looks like if I change one source it changes them all

Hi! Nice work! So excited to find this thread. Both my husband and I are enjoying reading it and looking through all of your pictures. We came upon a 1955 Constellation a year and a half ago in kind of rough shape. She's 53 feet, with an enclosed helm and we absolutely adore her! We are slowly making progress. All her upper decks need to be replaced, most toe and and rub rails as well. To say it's a labor of love, as you well know, is an understatement.

We are happy for any advice you have to offer. And we will be starting our own thread this weekend. We're very much looking forward to getting to know folks on this forum and get feedback advice from all and everyone who knows what they're talking about! Best of luck with your project! Can't wait to see all the final results. Amy and Rick

I want to let people know that read this and think it looks like fun and romantic. It is but....... You need patients. For every great moment it can take months to set it up. Scheduals? Haha that's a good one. I am my own boss and make my hours and am 4 years into this. Start with the things that keep the boat floating thenmove on from there.

Please se please be careful adding power to old wooden boats. I added only 220 hp and 110 fptq and ended up reinforcing the stringers. When choosing engines consider the vibrations the new engines will make. Old wooden boats can vibrate apart. That's why I have gas and not diesel.

The new engine will have nonproblem doing 4600+ and 28 knots. That's faster than my tender haha. I will only do a wot test once to get the prop pitched properly. Also to do a drone fly around as my brother is a professional drone pilot and has $10k drones. A 60 year old 50' wooden boat smoking it at 32 mph will make for a good drone video espically if something goes wrong

All installed electronics work as advertised but with only one problem. I can't display more than one engine on my simrad 16nss. Maybe I can but I can't figure it out. I tried assigning different sources to different gauges but it looks like if I change one source it changes them all
    'Do it once and do it right', goes the saying, which is deceiving as one has to 'do it' (meaning 'cut' and 'try') not once, but at least twice and sometimes half-a-dozen times till one may finally OK it !

Fabricating and fitting the engine/gear-box brackets to spread the load on the stringers, lowering the engine/gear-box assemblies for trial fitting before bolting them down, aligning the drive shaft/gear-box flanges while keeping the drive-shafts as centered as possible in their respective shaft-tubes....tons of patience, perseverance, and not allowed to lose your cool..... the lot.......

More like handling 'elephants in space' and youīve come away well. Congratulations !

I have installed the electrical connectors (Deutsch) on my new engine harnesses (exclusively tinned-cable) following our exchange some months ago.....thanks.

Wish I knew something about the Simrad device to help you out...perhaps someone will come along and have the right answer ?
    Last edited by carioca1232001; 09-09-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks for the kind words.

Amy and Rick I can't wait to see your thread. These boats are addictive assuming you have the time they can turn out really nice.

As to the display I can display both engines data in the raw data format. But not with any other screens.

I wanted to to explain the reasons why I did all the exhaust throughout the boat. One is carbon monoxide. It kinda kills people every year on boats. The other is I have seen several examples where someone repower there boat and then sinks it due to an exhaust blow out. My exhaust is above the water line but no chances of a blowout.

...I wanted to to explain the reasons why I did all the exhaust throughout the boat. One is carbon monoxide. It kinda kills people every year on boats. The other is I have seen several examples where someone repower there boat and then sinks it due to an exhaust blow out. My exhaust is above the water line but no chances of a blowout.
    An often neglected part of the installation until disaster strikes.

Should a raw-water cooling hose come loose on the engine/exhaust installation or puncture, there is a chance of swamping the bilge with raw-water (engine-driven raw-water pumps are beasts); a bilge-water level alarm coupled with an exhaust temperature alarm (>or =85šC) can help detect such a condition before it gets out of hand.

I run a carbon monoxide sensor and if the third and final level bilge pump kicks on I get an alarm. Then I go and throw the switch to the Oh **** pumps. I have four. Two flowjets modified as suction bilge
    pumps. I like my pumps to leave almost nothing in the bilge. The impeller type need inches to work and never get it dry.

My other two pumps are 3200s each. One on emergency float and alarm and the other on a manual switch. Combined its well over 8000 gal/hour. Then there is the 2.5" gas pump I keep below in the engine room. I am prepared for intrusion. It is wood after all and I don't want to loose her due to not being prepared with the basics.

I run a carbon monoxide sensor and if the third and final level bilge pump kicks on I get an alarm. Then I go and throw the switch to the Oh **** pumps. I have four. Two flowjets modified as suction bilge
    pumps. I like my pumps to leave almost nothing in the bilge. The impeller type need inches to work and never get it dry.

My other two pumps are 3200s each. One on emergency float and alarm and the other on a manual switch. Combined its well over 8000 gal/hour. Then there is the 2.5" gas pump I keep below in the engine room. I am prepared for intrusion. It is wood after all and I don't want to loose her due to not being prepared with the basics.
    Your concern is valid, although I am embarassed to admit that on the two occasions that my bilges got swamped, it was engine-related raw-water running amok .

On one, I was lucky to have just come through the bar back into sheltered waters; the stbd engine seemed to emit a gruffier, rawer note....there couldīnt be a trucker riding alongside wihout a muffler and a flared exhaust ?? .......the hose had come loose at the last bend, ......not even the >= 85šC sensor (upstream) would have caught it.

From then on, the raw-water pumps and their associated plumbing got the attention they deserved.

It's stories like these I am trying to avoid. Thanks for sharing.

just finished reading. great job! are you living aboard? sounds like an ideal thing for someone doing most all of their own work. did you get the stem leak fixed? sure will be following and good luck.

jim