Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: 1961 Chris Craft constellation refit/repower long term project.

Default Re: 1961 Chris Craft constellation refit/repower long term project.

I'd be standing on someone's desk yelling about it.
    http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

Remember I said a local friend works for the EPA? You see as a contractor I have all these osha safety courses and they work from second level scaffolding all the time un-harnessed. Also they are re-building the 40 year old docks with zero water protection. If it hits the water it's all good to them. Paint, rust, fiberglassed docking material, dust of every kind......
    Now yesterday with no one with a clue what was going on from the harbor master to the owner a 50' house boat shows up and hits a .5 million dollar carter 62'. It's like doing donuts in a parking lot full of Bentley in a 69 vw. The marina response was it's between the insurance companies.

I have a sneely suspussion the epa and osha will get some pics sent to them with a request on a follow up.

Well Dear me osha was not happy with the pic of the scaffolding on a floating house boat sent them. Dam that a big fine! I bet the EPA won't be happy with a demolishion on a pre lead and asbestos year boat in open air without testing......
    Last edited by Hill160881; 03-26-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Got back to the boat for a week or two and started off installing the wiring harnesses from the engines to the seagauge and helm.

Today I got some wiring done and finished the helm.

Up and running. At lease the head unit is.

These wires are the ones that are for the gauges and goes into the seagauge interface module. I will build a weather back plug for each engine and another one powers the unit.

Tomorrow I will start setting the port engine.

Got the basic wiring of the seagauge interface module done. Only temp,oil pressure, volts, and rpm, for now. I need a temp sensor for the engine oil, another tempnsensor for the transmission fluid, and a pressure sensor for the trans fluid. I also have 12 status indicators I can program down the line.

First I made up the power plug

Then the rpm and alarm plug.

Then wired up the sensor wires to there plug and finished it up.

Ahh ... the fun stuff!
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Ok a much awaited week. Assuming I could get the company I paid to install these engines would actually do it. Since I can't I will do it myself and hope I done make any mistakes.

I designed made the new engine mounts. I tried to keep it as simple as possible. The flat pieces will gain into the inside of the stringer where the transmission mounts bolt to the side of the stringer. This will transfer the stress to the whole stringer notnthentop 1". The T shaped mounts are the front engine mounts. The stringers are to far apart so I gave them an inch of overhang. The notch is to allow access to the nut on the bottom once the bolt is installed.

Engine mounts installed for a test fit. Once I have final alignment I will bolt the front ones down and drill the rear ones.

It's a far cry from the 4 lag bolts that held down the old engines. You could pick the boat up by the engines now.
    Last edited by Hill160881; 04-21-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Its really close. Today I plan to do the final alignment and mark the rear and front mounts for the stringer bolts. Then I have to remove the engine again and dril and install the bolts, paint and finalize the install. Then it's bolt it in and hose it. Then do it all over again in the starboard side
    Sitting on the new mounts it is really close.

just a little lift aft and a little more forward, very close! One of what I call "pigs in space" jobs where you can't see where you'll be until you are there. Will you get your money back or will it go for other things (which would be ok if needed)?

Quote Originally Posted by Hill160881 View Post
    Got the basic wiring of the seagauge interface module done. Only temp,oil pressure, volts, and rpm, for now. I need a temp sensor for the engine oil, another tempnsensor for the transmission fluid, and a pressure sensor for the trans fluid. I also have 12 status indicators I can program down the line.

First I made up the power plug

Then the rpm and alarm plug.

Then wired up the sensor wires to there plug and finished it up.
    Congratulations on the great job you are undertaking.

I am somewhat curious about your choice of the electrical connectors displayed in these photos........as I am about to redo the wiring on my twin-engine installation.

The colour coding on the female connectors is a pretty effective way of separating diverse wiring needs ...which eventually converge on the main assembly box holding the male connectors.

Can you be so kind as to share the manufacturer part number / spec ?

Are the pins on said connectors tinned or silver/gold plated ? Is the assembly splash proof ?

I will be in the US in a couple of weeks and am looking into picking up a sure-fire product for this re-wiring app....and BTW, I was in SFO in 1972 on a business trip and actually went up one weekend to Stockton, to meet up with US friends I had known in London (UK)...got to see the Stockton shipyard from a distance etc.

The seagauge system was a kit with plugs and pins included. You have to assemble it. The wiring harnesses from the engines are standard analog harnesses.

This is the company i got the gauge interface module from.

http://www.digitalmarinegauges.com/

For my particular seagauge unit I had the following pinnout

And for the crusader engines I had the following wiring diagram to follow.

You simply put the two together using the supplied plug/pin set. Then a single nmea2000 cable goes to the simrad display at the helm.

My other option was to get a new classic gauge set which still leaves you needing a head unit for sonar, radar...... I chose the seagauge unit because it was about $800 which was cheaper than a nice classic gauge set and it's more modern.

Many thanks for the info supplied.

Actually my setup is quite rudimentary in comparison to yours, to include standard analogue engine gauges and sensors (resistive sort), the fuel-injection (diesel) pump command, ignition starter relay command and contact-type temperature alarms, namely for engine coolant, wet-exhaust and gear-box fluid (ATF).

Just guessing.... but the male/female connectors in your photos look much like an Amphenol product that I took a fancy to on a boat visiting at my Club.....I had jotted down the part nš but seem to have misplaced it.

I located it on Amazon.com using the part nš.... but havenīt had any luck doing a search without said part nš

Awaiting any further data that you may have.

Thanks again.

The plugs/pins are made by deutsch.

Personally I would run the marine engine harness to a junction block under the gauges/helm then run separate labeled wires to the gauges from there. This is not the best picture but I run everything to a junction bar then to the actual appliance/gauge. I only used those plugs for the seagauge module.
    Last edited by Hill160881; 04-23-2017 at 07:50 PM.

I Googled some hours ago and found just one site marketing a limited number of Deutsch connectors, similar to yours, under the Amphenol umbrella !

So I looked for Deutsch connectors and ran into the following, which I recall visiting around 15 months ago:

https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&r...R19naDs3r201Og

Eureka........ we indeed have a supplier !

The idea is to have a female 12-pin Deutsch flange-mount installed in a SS box which will sit on the left side - cooler side, looking at the engine from the front - of the engine and distribute the wiring accordingly to the sensors, relays, etc; a male plug then leads this wiring to the helmsmanīs station.

Your comments are welcome and many thanks again

Glad to help.

Just one more thing....did you get by with an off-the-shelf crimping tool or did you buy one of theirs at a couple of hundred dollars each ?

Off the shelf tool. Nothing fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill160881 View Post
    Off the shelf tool. Nothing fancy.
    Nice to know that. Thanks again.