Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Build - Chase Small Craft Calendar Islands Yawl

Default First Build - Chase Small Craft Calendar Islands Yawl

Hello All,

It's nice to be back amongst the WoodenBoat crowd after reading copies as a small boy that were lying around the house. Back then it was my Father's 42' Matthews in Michigan but now it's for another reason, a boat of my own for my family. While I've been on the water ever since then, this will be my first personal boat to own, so it's a bit of an odyssey to be returning.

After seeming exhaustive (and thoroughly enjoyable) research on designs, I purchased a kit from Clint Chase for a Calendar Islands Yawl. Primary uses will be solo day sails, family picnic day sails and, hopefully, some family sail camping trips. What I like most about the CIY are the yawl rig, that should allow us time to rig and get things squared away without needing to rush any transitions from sail to oar, etc. The lines are beautiful and I very much like the reserve buoyancy in the bow and stern as well as the floorboards that can be propped up for a place to potentially lay out under a boom tent. As a first time builder, the concept of lofting and fabricating parts was daunting. The idea of having all the main components precut and ready to begin was very desirable. While I have some woodworking skills that will surely transfer, I didn't want to bite off more than I would be willing to chew, or be able to reasonably complete in a winter's worth of spare time.

So, here's a shot of the flat of plywood and chipboard parts. I'd love to hear feedback and tips that may be helpful as I progress from the community. Clint has already been a valuable resource and I'll surely be posing questions more than a few times in the coming months. There's much to do and much to learn, but that's what I'm most looking forward to.

-Nick
    IMG_9154.jpg

Default Re: First Build - Chase Small Craft Calendar Islands Yawl

Great choice of designs!

Here's how to post photos on this forum:

FIRST - Don't attach photos. Only a tiny version will display.

SECOND - Post the photos on the web. Use your own website or a free image hosting service like www.flickr.com, picasaweb.google.com, picturetrail, photobucket, shutterfly, etc. Facebook is not recommended the image URL is changed after a few months (breaking the link), and images must be set to "Public" access via the Edit option, not limited to "Friends".

THIRD - Once posted on the web, right-click the photo to "Copy Image Location", or drag the photo to another browser window, then copy the image URL / location / address which will end in ".jpg". You can test by pasting the photo URL into the location field (http://* ) of a web browser and see if the photo displays. Remember that this process will not work for photos located just on your computer, on members-only Yahoo groups, or on Facebook or Flickr unless set to "Public" view.

In Flickr - First click the photo to bring up the options on the right, click the downward arrow icon on the far right ("Download this photo"), then in the list that appears click "View All Sizes". Select the size you want (if not the default size displayed) then get the image URL by right-clicking the image to select "copy image location / address".

FOURTH - DO THIS EVERY TIME TO POST IMAGES IN THREADS:
    A. In any "Reply" window you can click the "insert image" icon --> a little yellow square icon with a dot at each corner, a tiny tree in the center.

Depending on browser version and Reply/Edit status, this may bring up a simple window with a field to paste the URL into, or the "Add an Image" window described below.

B. If the window titled "Add an Image" comes up, click the "From URL" tab, paste the URL of the photo in the field, deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally", then click the "INSERT IMAGE" button. The Forum software will resize some large images, so look at your post to see the actual displayed images.

NOTE - most common problems are due to missing the step described above -> deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally"

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Welcome aboard Nick! Have you seen the boat collection at the philly seaport museum?
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Thanks for that information! I was wondering what I was doing wrong.
    Last edited by PhillySailor; 12-14-2016 at 10:50 AM.

Not sure if the fisheye lens is the best one to use, as the cradle and frames look a bit....um....curvey. ;-)

Seriously, glad you're going to document your build.

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I'm in. Good luck and welcome.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Welcome. Looking forward to seeing more!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Not sure if the fisheye lens is the best one to use, as the cradle and frames look a bit....um....curvey. ;-)

Seriously, glad you're going to document your build.

I'm being told this is normal now. Hard turn to the right.

Seriously though, looking forward to your build.

Woohoo! A great boat. Happy to see one coming together. The build of the original prototype was documented here on the forum, you might be able to locate it. Use google to search the forum, the built in search function is terrible.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

It`s going to be a "Banana" boat!

I`m looking forward to this one! and wish you much success.

Greetings from Germany,

Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    Woohoo! A great boat. Happy to see one coming together. The build of the original prototype was documented here on the forum, you might be able to locate it. Use google to search the forum, the built in search function is terrible.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ail-and-oar-16

Hi Nick, look forward to seeing this come together. There are some other builders and sail and oar enthusiasts in the Delaware valley, where are you building her? Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCanoe View Post
    I'm being told this is normal now. Hard turn to the right.

Seriously though, looking forward to your build.
    Thanks for the warning! I'll try to keep everything going in the right direction!

Quote Originally Posted by Skegemog View Post
    Hi Nick, look forward to seeing this come together. There are some other builders and sail and oar enthusiasts in the Delaware valley, where are you building her? Jim
    I've been wanting to make it to the local TSCA meeting but things are always coming up. I'm in lower Bucks County and she's being built in my basement. I'd be interested in any other get togethers of like minded folks in the future.

Dry fit of the soon to be laminated stem with a future Capitan candidate.

Lower bucks co here too, only canoes can it make in / out my shop Now I'm jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySailor View Post
    I've been wanting to make it to the local TSCA meeting but things are always coming up. I'm in lower Bucks County and she's being built in my basement. I'd be interested in any other get togethers of like minded folks in the future.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Lower bucks co here too, only canoes can it make in / out my shop Now I'm jealous!
    I've measured and re-measured and been in contact with the naval architect and am sure it'll fit sideways out my 29" wide basement door. The rest has some big swinging room and open spaces to maneuver toward the door. It's something I've been anticipating so hopefully there'll be no issues on bringing it out.

BTW, do you find sailing on the upper Delaware? I'd be interested in going from Bristol but already work on the river and was thinking the current may be a bit much for a sail/oar type boat.

Boats of all sizes sail it, but big wakes from big dislpacment yachts are the most scary, ships and tugs have to stay in the channel so they are more predictable. Current runs fast, but we use it rather then fight it

Great choice of boat, I really like the CIY. I helped Clint build a mockup of a Shellback Dinghy once to see if it would fit up his basement stairs. It did, so he built the boat down there.
    His kits are really well thought out, I'll be following here.

Steven

Hi Nick:

I built the prototype up here in Duluth, MN. Building sequence photos are here: https://goo.gl/photos/xGoxGfgFTUExVGz38.

It was a pretty darn good design right off the bat but the modest changes that Clint has made will make it go together even easier and work even better. Although my boat spends most of its time on a small lake just outside of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, she has already taken me on adventures in the Apostle Islands of Lake Superior, Georgian Bay of Lake Huron and Voyagers National Park. Here is a short video that I took this fall of my son sailing just out of Duluth on Lake Superior: .

I have sailed her 25 miles in a day and rowed her ten miles in a few hours (although I will admit that enthusiasum for rowing her was waining during the last couple of miles). She has excited, even thrilled me but hasn't really frightened me yet.

By the way, be careful about that building in the basement thing. Some years and two houses ago, I brought a cabinet that was going to become an entertainment center into my basement to add a face frame. At 3/4" bigger than when it came down, it just wasn't going back up. I had to dis-assemble a good bit of the staircase to get it out of there.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimL55804 View Post
    Hi Nick:

I built the prototype up here in Duluth, MN. Building sequence photos are here: https://goo.gl/photos/xGoxGfgFTUExVGz38.

It was a pretty darn good design right off the bat but the modest changes that Clint has made will make it go together even easier and work even better. Although my boat spends most of its time on a small lake just outside of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, she has already taken me on adventures in the Apostle Islands of Lake Superior, Georgian Bay of Lake Huron and Voyagers National Park. Here is a short video that I took this fall of my son sailing just out of Duluth on Lake Superior: .

I have sailed her 25 miles in a day and rowed her ten miles in a few hours (although I will admit that enthusiasum for rowing her was waining during the last couple of miles). She has excited, even thrilled me but hasn't really frightened me yet.

By the way, be careful about that building in the basement thing. Some years and two houses ago, I brought a cabinet that was going to become an entertainment center into my basement to add a face frame. At 3/4" bigger than when it came down, it just wasn't going back up. I had to dis-assemble a good bit of the staircase to get it out of there.

Jim
    Jim,

Thanks for posting these. I'd poured through any photos I could find and many of yours came up in my searches. It seems that it's perpetually winter outside your garage, but that brings back fond memories of working on Lakers awhile back. And thanks for the basement advice. I'll need to go through a double wide set of doors, make a hard left hand turn through a very big opening before flipping in on it's side and going through a 29" door on it's side. Clint stated that, if put into a box, it would only need 29" to fit, but I'm banking on being able to fit the stem through and curve around through the door into my backyard before going around into the garage for finishing.

Thanks again and I look forward to any input you can provide.

-Nick

Hi Nick,

I am just starting a Calendar Islands Yawl build here in Larchmont, NY. I have hull #5. Working in a 1-car garage where it will just fit, although my access to outdoors sounds easier than yours. We can compare notes as we progress. This is my 5th small boat build, after moving up the degree-of-difficulty ladder from 2 Pygmy kayaks to a CLC Northeaster Dory to a Gentry "Ruth" wherry with sliding seat and hollow-shaft spoonblade oars. This looks a little more complex than all of those combined, especially since i am doing all the solid wood parts (spars, oars, etc) from scratch. I love my dory and have done some beach cruising (Maine Island Trail) in it, but the CIY appeals because it is more seaworthy and big enough to camp aboard.

Jim

Nice video clips. She looks just fine underway in that water!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Hi Jim,

Good to hear we're embarking on the same venture together. I wish I had some of the techniques you've already acquired, but I'll just have to learn as I go. Yes, we should keep in touch. I am planning on doing the solid wood parts from scratch as well. Good luck! Do you have a build thread as well?

-Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Larchmont Jim View Post
    Hi Nick,

I am just starting a Calendar Islands Yawl build here in Larchmont, NY. I have hull #5. Working in a 1-car garage where it will just fit, although my access to outdoors sounds easier than yours. We can compare notes as we progress. This is my 5th small boat build, after moving up the degree-of-difficulty ladder from 2 Pygmy kayaks to a CLC Northeaster Dory to a Gentry "Ruth" wherry with sliding seat and hollow-shaft spoonblade oars. This looks a little more complex than all of those combined, especially since i am doing all the solid wood parts (spars, oars, etc) from scratch. I love my dory and have done some beach cruising (Maine Island Trail) in it, but the CIY appeals because it is more seaworthy and big enough to camp aboard.

Jim

Here's my first attempt at a batch of epoxy. Mixed more than I needed and rushed to find stuff to laminate. Should I be using more clamps per section than this? Also, can anybody give me a tip about how to have the photo show up in these windows instead of a "?" in a box? I'm using a Flickr account and pasting the link through the add images function of the forum. Thanks!

Not sure why the pictures are doing that. I hunted around until I found a link that ended in .jpg and used that...

ooh very cool sail and oar craft there, we will be seeing her at the SRR some time soon I assume

Im liking your clamps, are those from PVC pipe? my only suggestion is if you think you need more pressure rather than more clamps yopu could go with a large cast iron pipe and wedges instead of the spring of the plastic, but as a rule less pressure is better with epoxy... as long as the pices are in the right opsition and theres enough pressure to squeeze out the air bubles and keep things from moving you should be good... you do not want too much pressure with epoxy as you can squeeze the glue out of the joint, then when the wood soaks some up the joint goes dry, that makes a weak "epoxy starved" joint.

happy building!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    ooh very cool sail and oar craft there, we will be seeing her at the SRR some time soon I assume

Im liking your clamps, are those from PVC pipe? my only suggestion is if you think you need more pressure rather than more clamps yopu could go with a large cast iron pipe and wedges instead of the spring of the plastic, but as a rule less pressure is better with epoxy... as long as the pices are in the right opsition and theres enough pressure to squeeze out the air bubles and keep things from moving you should be good... you do not want too much pressure with epoxy as you can squeeze the glue out of the joint, then when the wood soaks some up the joint goes dry, that makes a weak "epoxy starved" joint.

happy building!
    Thanks for the tips! This is all a learning curve so I'm sure all mistakes that can be made will be incorporated into the final build. I'd know known about possibly not having enough epoxy after squeezing out. I know I had a ton of drips come out, maybe too much. I thought I'd cleaned them all up but some made it to cured stage. Today I was much more careful and used a putty knife after a couple of hours to clean up some of the rest as it's an area that'll need to be planed. That'll be the learning to use a block plane when I'd left too much epoxy. Thanks again and I look forward to any helpful tips or criticism.

-Nick

I think I'll concentrate my meager efforts on getting the thing built rather than documenting the build, so no build log.

I just got the kit parts from Clint on Monday, met him in Mystic for the transfer and had lunch with him and Walt Ansel from Mystic Seaport. Learned a ton of building hints during that lunch!

I have my oars done already and am making progress on spars. All spar blanks milled and glued up except mainmast ( the main being birdsmouth and the most elaborate, i figured i would do the easier ones first). I am going to do a hollow box-section boom which Clint suggested would be stiffer for higher wind conditions.

In every activity I've ever done, there are times I wish I could remember something. Even if you don't post them, suggest taking photos to answer future questions and aid recollection.

Is Clint offering this as either a daggerboard or centerboard? What have you you guys building it gone with? Clint had originally drawn it with a daggerboard but I talked him into drawing in a centerboard. If I was starting over, I'm not sure which I would choose. I had a Mirror Dinghy way back when and I really didn't like what happened when I ran into the bottom with its daggerboard. I haven't ran into anything at all with the CIY, so maybe a daggerboard would have been fine.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimL55804 View Post
    Is Clint offering this as either a daggerboard or centerboard? What have you you guys building it gone with? Clint had originally drawn it with a daggerboard but I talked him into drawing in a centerboard. If I was starting over, I'm not sure which I would choose. I had a Mirror Dinghy way back when and I really didn't like what happened when I ran into the bottom with its daggerboard. I haven't ran into anything at all with the CIY, so maybe a daggerboard would have been fine.

Jim
    Yes, it's being offered as either. I've chosen daggerboard since it offers more leg space. Other than that I didn't have a super strong opinion one way or another since I have little experience on boats this size.

After laminating and beveling the stem and fitting it with the 1st bulkhead.

Dry fit of transom and aft bulkhead.

Jim, I'm in Pelham. If you need anything, drop me a PM. I travel a lot for work, but if you need a hand, give a shout.
    My Goat Island Skiff Project Photos:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/999065...7648295059621/