Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sparkman & Stephens sloop - centerboard trunk repair

Default Sparkman & Stephens sloop - centerboard trunk repair

I've been picking away at this repair for the last month or so. This is a S&S design, built by Stonington Boat Works in 1958. LOA 33'-0", LWL 25'-0", Beam 10'-6", Draft 3'-0", Displacement 14,700 lbs, Sail Area 613 sq ft.

I had already removed the teak cap from the lower section of head ledge but you can see the evidence of leaking on the starboard side of the trunk and the sole had apparently been wet for quite a while according to the owner. The bronze straps and cleat/ledger board are from a prior repair.

The port side showing the angle in the head ledge. This joint had been leaking also.

The joint in the fwd. head ledge. The teak cap has been removed and removal of the stbd. side trunk planking is partially done.
    Last edited by holzbt; 12-04-2016 at 07:03 AM.

Default Re: Sparkman & Stephens sloop - centerboard trunk repair

I removed the cleat and some of the strip planking trying to determine what needed to done. I was hoping to just repair the leak but most of you already know how that usually ends. The repair on the stbd. side had been done with some type of butyl caulk. The first few strip were chiseled out and the rest were removed by pulling the edge nails with an old fashioned nail puller and peeling each strip out.

The more I opened things up the more apparent it became that surgery was required. Skip the repair mode and go into rebuild mode. Time to start dismantling the head bulkhead and companionway steps.

Last edited by holzbt; 12-04-2016 at 10:01 AM.

What a lovely boat! The lines were in Skenes, weren't they?

The original strip planking was cove and bead, resorcinol glued with monel edge nails. I sawed much of the original planking out with a sawzall but still had a bit of chiseling to do near the bottom and ends.

The port side had obviously been repaired at a different time than the stbd. side. The strips had been laid down in 3M 5200 and thinner shank ring nails had been used. I popped the heads off a few of the nails trying to pull them and the 5200 was still working. No full strips came off this side, mostly splinters and short bits. Not nearly as nice as the other side. I abused about 5 or 6 beater chisels and had to regrind them each day.

Almost done with the destruction. It's an "L" shaped board and most of it is under the sole. That part of the trunk was in great shape, it's also copper lined which I'm sure helped. But the top of the "L" was now gone. Almost time to start with some new wood.

I decided to keep the aft head ledge. It was a bit ratty at the water line but a few passes with a hand plane cleaned it up and it seemed sound so it stayed. Repalcing it would have entailed the removal of the garboards and at least one additional plank on each side to remove and replace the bolts through the keel. I made sure that all existing screw hole were properly plugged.
    Last edited by holzbt; 12-04-2016 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Yes.

New fwd. head ledge. I omitted the rabbet, it made planking the trunk much easier/faster and I didn't have a 3" x 5" piece handy. I'm not sure what the original joint was. The lower piece may have been replaced, I never really determined that. But the bronze strap inside had been added. I decided to miter the joint with a spline across it and reuse the bronze strap with new bolts.

It took several days to plank it up. I've been picking away at this job between other obligations but the up side is that I was able to scrape and clean up the inside each day as I went along. I could only reach down so far. 10" to 12" was about as much as was practical at a time. I didn't want to leave a mess inside the trunk. I'm sure it would make no difference but I can be a bit anal at times and I'd always know what the inside looked like. I used genuine (Honduras) mahogany, bronze ring nails and 3M 4200.

Re installing the cap and ledger for the bulkhead and sink.

Bronze inspection plate frame going back on.

Steps and some of the bulkhead back where they belong.

Some of the hardware back on the bulkhead.

The old and the new. This is above the prior repair and is original. I guess that the hard glue had failed at some point. Probably near the sole and possibly near the water line which had led to the prior repairs. I sawed a shallow (3/32") kerf into the bottom of each strip to allow the 4200 to form a gasket in the hope that it will allow for the minor expansion and contraction of each strip without the failure of the adhesive/caulk line.

Nice work!

Beautiful looking boat and I'm glad it didn't end in one of those stories that never ends. Happy sailing.

Well done! Your boat or someone else's?
    I would have thought the centerboard cable would be just that, cable, and not line. Wouldn't that line be prone to degradation down in that wet and dark place?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Those, (especially the top one), are some NICE clamps!!
    Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by jackster View Post

Those, (especially the top one), are some NICE clamps!!
    Keep up the good work.
    I've managed to acquire a few clamps and tools over the last 40 years but you'd be surprised how often you still don't have exactly what you need for some jobs. That big clamp is 12" deep and quite handy every once in a while. There are workarounds but it's nice to have the right tool sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I would have thought the centerboard cable would be just that, cable, and not line. Wouldn't that line be prone to degradation down in that wet and dark place?
    A friend's boat. The line is fine. It's a wooden board so it's not that heavy when the boat's afloat and the line is completely out of the water when the board is fully raised. Judging from the condition of the real Italian hemp marline used for the seizings that penant may be original to the boat.

Beautiful work to a stunning boat. She's a beauty.

Steven

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Crikey nice job!!

It truly amazes me to see how some owners will let a boat deteriorate and then suddenly seek to repair that which had gotten that way due to lack of proper maintenance! Certainly the job you are into will give new life to the boat but what a hassle to do!
    I see wood that looks to have been effected by electrolysis and cooked bronze fastenings too! What, no zincs? Did the boat sit with a lot of water in the bilge at one time? What a mess to have to set right!

I was involved with a similar project with the L.Francis Herreshoff "Tioga" many years ago. She had a leaking CB Trunk and needed some new floors. Frustrating project! But, you are doing a great job!
    We are all impressed with your patience and good work! Hang in there buddy!
    Jay
    PS Perhaps the problem of electric degradation comes from that submersible bilge pump.
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 12-04-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    It truly amazes me to see how some owners will let a boat deteriorate and then suddenly seek to repair that which had gotten that way due to lack of proper maintenance! Certainly the job you are into will give new life to the boat but what a hassle to do!
    I see wood that looks to have been effected by electrolysis and cooked bronze fastenings too! What, no zincs? Did the boat sit with a lot of water in the bilge at one time? What a mess to have to set right!

The current owner just took over recently and wants to set things right. The boat was bought in 1966 by his father who recently passed away at the age of 95. It has been in a boathouse but the maintenance has been a bit neglected due to the past owners age. There has been high bilge water due to the leaking CB case as well as a bad through hull which the yard has just replaced.

I was involved with a similar project with the L.Francis Herreshoff "Tioga" many years ago. She had a leaking CB Trunk and needed some new floors. Frustrating project! But, you are doing a great job!
    Jay
    PS Perhaps the problem of electric degradation comes from that submersible bilge pump.
    A marine electrician was called in to inspect at my suggestion and he felt very strongly that the 110 volt pump was responsible for much of the damage. A proper 12 volt installation is in the works. The current owner is committed to putting the boat back as it should be. We're starting with the most necessary jobs first and will eventually work down the list.

Well, no one can be held guilty for getting old! Obviously the man loved the boat even though he could not care for it as he once did. I am merely happy to see a person of your talents and ability setting her right! Please keep those cards and information coming.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post

Jay

Did the Tioga have to be refastened? I talked to the owner years ago about the refit, but I don't remember much.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Is the boat still named Lorna Doone?

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Is the boat still named Lorna Doone?

This might actually be the original paint/gold name. It's a bit weathered but has always wintered in a boathouse as well as being in the boathouse for at least the last 5 years.

Belfast and Marshall Cove, Islesboro, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I own an S&S "Nevins 40," which looks like a big sister of this boat in some respects. Has a welded bronze CB trunk, cast bronze CB with a 7X19 wire pennant, which was prone to failure. Finally replaced it with Samson double braid nylon. The elasticity is nice in some situations.

Almost finished for this year. I just have to put the sink back up. Next year we'll probably pull some fastenings from the bottom. I suspect it's got original fastenings and if so 58 years is a LONG time for fasteners to last.

That is beautiful work right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    It's difficult to explain virtue signalling, as I was just saying to my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop.

Quote Originally Posted by holzbt View Post
    Almost finished for this year.

If the boat has a Significant Other on board, ensure that clothing cannot snag on those inspection cover studs.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

In and swelling, then back to the boathouse for the winter

Thanks for the thread , I've enjoyed seeing how you went about it.

^^^Likewise...thanks for taking time to post the sequence.

Lorna Doone 014.jpg

Apparently the sump pump wasn't the cause of the stray current cooking the fastenings. The center screw is new and there for visual comparison. The larger one is from the lower trunk cap and is original from 1958. The smaller one is from the lower teak cap on the angle portion of the higher trunk and is only two years old.

Not challenging your decision, only seeking education, but why this:

I used genuine (Honduras) mahogany, bronze ring nails and 3M 4200.
    Why 3M 4200 in beads instead of gluing it up into a monolithic mass with epoxy? Is that so that it can flex with the strains intrinsic to a CB trunk?

I know zilch about rebuilding CB trunks, and might be about to be handed a 100yo catboat resto, so I'm taking notes. Thank you for this thread; not only a beautiful piece of work, but a good illustration of a repair, too.

Alex

DC voltage is much more of a problem regarding electrolysis than AC. As an example Electro plating is performed with DC current which is just a controlled version of electrolysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    Not challenging your decision, only seeking education, but why this:

Why 3M 4200 in beads instead of gluing it up into a monolithic mass with epoxy? Is that so that it can flex with the strains intrinsic to a CB trunk?

I know zilch about rebuilding CB trunks, and might be about to be handed a 100yo catboat resto, so I'm taking notes. Thank you for this thread; not only a beautiful piece of work, but a good illustration of a repair, too.

Alex

I believe the original trunk failed due to the rigidity of the resorcinol glue which did not allow for expansion and contraction of the trunk sides. The first repairs were done in the first 20 years. I'm hoping the slight flexibility of the 4200 will avoid this type of failure in the future. A traditional planked trunk with wider planks will generally be splined to allow for movement of the sides. Wood moves so allow it or expect something to fail. If you don't want movement uses smaller laminations such as is done in cold molded construction.

Thanks. That makes sense. I'll be curious to hear how the repair works out.

Alex