Thread: How much backing/support do I need for cleats used for mooring or towing?

Default How much backing/support do I need for cleats used for mooring or towing?

I'm building a SCAMP and have started to think about mooring / towing cleats and how to anchor them properly. I'm also planning the row locks.

Most will be attached on side decks that are not much more than 6mm ply. Everything is nicely open and easy to reach so bracing and doubling is very easy right now. There are relatively small carlings 20x30 mm on the edges.

There are a goodly number of bulkheads but again they are only 9mm thick. The boat is very strong because of the "egg carton construction" but I don't have a good sense of how much is strong enough. I expect the boat to weight about 400 lbs or so.

Any experienced cleat attachers out there?

Christine DeMerchant
    http://www.christinedemerchant.com

Default Re: How much backing/support do I need for cleats used for mooring or towing?

For a relatively light boat like this, I think it would be fine to place the cleats between deck frames and have the backing span one frame to the next. I don't think the backing needs to be as thick as the frame but probably more than half as thick.

If the cleat placement must be such that bolts must embrace a frame, then you will want two backing blocks with the forward block reaching the next frame ahead.

G'luck

Belfast and Marshall Cove, Islesboro, Maine

Default Re: How much backing/support do I need for cleats used for mooring or towing?

Probably the most critical cleat is the centerline bow cleat, which is what the boat hangs on when on its mooring, and what you'll be towed by. Does the boat have a foredeck? deck beams? What dimension is the deck and the beams?

My "rule of thumb" for the foredeck cleat is that I can hang the boat from it. Which on a small boat is not so much.

I have run tie rods from deck cleats to the keel to use them as lifting eyes, it just depends on how much you want to keep your boat!

Since the Scamp has a blunt front, what do you call the front panel, a forward transom? there is an eye that looks after the towing line. There is quite a lot of reinforcement there so probably OK. I'm not planning to put a cleat front center because it's not really reachable.

I'm more concerned with the 2 or 3 cleats that will be on the side deck.

The simple answer is "ask John Welsford". I'd use 6mm ply, between frames as Ian said, with no dimension being less than 6", I'd then back that up with another layer of 6mm directly under the cleat, extending 2'' in all directions.

I have a friend who swears by using plastic cutting (UHMW?) boards from Wal Mart as a backing material.

'

For towing I would want a bow eye down low on the fwd. transom.

Since you have the bulkheads, maybe some nice small hardwood Samson posts fore and aft thru the decks and attached to the faces of the bulkheads?

#6, ditto - ask John.

I like to use backing blocks for cleats that are made up of solid wood such as white oak or Honduras Mahogany as plywood has a tendency to absorb moisture through the end grain and delaminate in such places after a few years. A nice block with chamfered edges and at least four coats of varnish shows a bit of class as well if, you are looking at the care taken in construction.

As for the towing eye, I purchased a very nice bronze one from The Port Townsend foundry that has a flat on the after side that fits flat to the bow transom surface and looks nice as well. The dinghy is the tender to "Bright Star", "Twinkle".
    Jay

Thanks, and a very handsome tender.
    Christine