Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Zuri

Default Re: Zuri

Thanks Wojo and Andrew,

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    What have you decided about the rig?

I'm going for it.

Construction of the spars won't happen until next year but I need to make some preparations this spring. There are a few details to work out yet, but the spars, rigging loads, chainplates and overall geometries have been designed. I need to move a few chainplates and fabricate/install a couple heavier ones. I also want to extend the rubrail all the way aft before she goes into the water permanently.

The plan is to get the chainplates, rubrail and diesel installed this spring/summer and then get her off the hard and up into her slip hopefully by late summer.

Travis.

she is going to be a sight to see

Thanks Wojo,

Looks like you and I will both be dealing with the engine this spring.

I'm helping my son bring his car down to California, then flying back next week. When I get back, I'm looking forward to installing this guy.

Travis.

I would've not let my son go until the engines in Travis,

I would've not let my son go until the engines in Travis,
    Good Idea.

I'm working on a letter right now.

Dear US Navy,

I know my son is to report for SAR training on Friday but if you would be so kind, I could use him for a couple extra months. See - I have this boat project and it needs a new motor. That motor's pretty heavy and my son is really strong. So, if you could just wait a couple months I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Much,
    Connor's Dad.

Think it will work?

Travis.

If you attach pics of boat they'll probably send a few sailors and it'll be in before you know it

is Everett where Boeing is ? We did a visit there a couple of years ago. Beautiful part of world.

is Everett where Boeing is ? We did a visit there a couple of years ago. Beautiful part of world.

Yup - there's the main Boeing assembly plant in Everett.

Travis.

I'm helping my son bring his car down to California, then flying back next week. When I get back, I'm looking forward to installing this guy.

Father / son road trips are the best! Enjoy it
    Just got home from work. Tomorrow my weekend starts - going golfing with my brother in law
    So question about the motor: what's the gear reduction, is it already in transmission or have to be added to the set up ?
    Last edited by 2dogsnight; 03-20-2017 at 04:28 AM.

Just discovered this thread, nice work! And nice job documenting it, thanks!

Stunning thread Travis, and a beautiful craft.

The rig is beautiful. Is that mizzen mast in the middle of everything though? Looking forward to seeing how she turns out. Keep up the great work.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

After a long hiatus (life gets in the way of boat building sometimes) it feels good to be back working on the boat again.

Over the winter, I completed the tender/sailing dinghy for Zuri. A link to that thread is here

Spent the last couple days crammed down into bilge:

[IMG]

Sanding then power washing

[IMG]

A view of the bedlogs from inside the cabin:

[IMG]

The new diesel has a narrower footprint that the original - so I'll need to add or build out the bedlogs to accommodate. That's next on the agenda.

Travis.

I really like the rig, too. And I'm looking forward to the engine installation.

Steven

Hi Travis. Just found this thread again. I'll be watching.
    Ian
    Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Thanks for watching and all of you for your comments. Sailor - I forgot to address your question a while back. Yes, the mizzen is kind of in the way of everything but I don't mind. I'll put it to good use.

I glassed over the aperture a while back for test splashing. I knew it would be a while before diesel installation. Now it's time to open it back up again.

A spade bit and a flush bit in the trim router made quick work of this.

Time to order a cutlass bearing.

The original stainless fuel tank will be reused. It drops down through the removable sole and gets tucked back up against the rudder post housing, here:

Looking at the bottom, I need to build a platform for the fuel tank to sit on.

I located the leading edge of the fuel tank and marked it on the hull. Here is the start of the platform. It's just a single cross member for now, but the position is critical. I made a template and shaped the cross piece then epoxied it in place. I'll use this as the baseline for making the rest of the platform. It will be taped in with fiberglass later.

Travis.

This is an excellent thread Travis, you've done excellent work and Zurri will be a great boat an a credit to you!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Hi Travis, I'm glad to see this thread back in action. Not sure if its the photo or not but but that shaft hole doesn't look lined up with engine bed logs.
    good luck working in that space.
    Totally agree with Peters comment too.

Hi Travis,
    Apart from the tank platform, those are excellent views of your cockpit self-draining system. Is the pipe nearest the camera from one of the forward corners, or the galley sink? Is the dip in the pipes a deliberate water trap or is it just incidental to the way they are put together?
    I like the look of your rigging plan too.
    Also what Peter said.
    Cheers, Ian
    Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Great boat, great project, fantastic work and terrific dog! Thanks!!

Rick

Thank you Peter - that is very kind of you.
    Andrew - it's just the photo angle. Shaft tube lines up fine.
    Ian - I need to refine the drain system. I'll do that with the engine install. It works fine for now but I think I want to swap those 90 degree fittings with 45s just above the ball valve. The pipe nearest the camera is for the galley sink. I think I have a more refined solution to all those fittings below the sink too.
    Thanks Rick.

Work continues on today with the fuel tank platform. With the forward cross member installed, I used it to locate and install the back cross member support.

Rough fit:

And Installed:

Also started on the bed logs. Sanded the paint off the insides - then fit the first lamination. The bed logs are neither straight or even so it took some shaping in some places of that first member. It's kind of hard to tell in the photo, but I'm hogging out some areas where the existing fiberglass protrudes a bit.

The first lamination installed:

After it's built up, I'll do some shaping, then fiberglass it.

Travis.

Where will you put the fuel cap for the tank?

Mine is in the cockpit sole - a bad place for it. Each time you open it another small speck of dirt gets in - many years later you are crippled in Portland Harbour watching your weather window disappear as you frantically try to find an element for your very exotic (expensive) fuel filter, and pour several hundreds of dollars worth of diesel through the tank to flush out the dirt. Nice aqua blue diesel goes in, filthy dishwater comes out, wind picks up - rain......

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Where will you put the fuel cap for the tank?

Mine is in the cockpit sole - a bad place for it. Each time you open it another small speck of dirt gets in - many years later you are crippled in Portland Harbour watching your weather window disappear as you frantically try to find an element for your very exotic (expensive) fuel filter, and pour several hundreds of dollars worth of diesel through the tank to flush out the dirt. Nice aqua blue diesel goes in, filthy dishwater comes out, wind picks up - rain......

Aft of the rudder. I'll take a more recent photo but here you can see the rudder shaft opening followed by the fuel inlet then the mizzen sheet block.

The fill cap is on a riser and out of the sole for that very reason. I still have to drill a hole through the bulkhead for the hose. There is about a 12 inch drop between the aft deck and top of the tank.

Also, I don't want a fuel hose drug over the cockpit cushions.

Travis.
    Last edited by Zuri; 05-15-2017 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuri View Post

[IMG]
    Blue and Orange being complimentary colours, don't you know, mean some of these pictures are among the most photgenic i have ever seen on the forum.
    Beautiful work on the boat, clearly, but I'm so enjoying your documentation too. It appears you take care, and pay respect, in everything you turn your hand to.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

Thanks, Travis. I will do something like that on my Kotik .
    Ian

Thank you gypsie - I'll keep an eye on your Nutshell project. I've enjoyed the shellback the few times I've had it out. It's my understanding that the larger nutshell and the shellback are quite similar.

Ian - my pleasure. I'm enjoying your Kotik build.

Work has kept me pretty busy but I do try to make a little progress in the evenings.

Middle floor (I guess that's what you would call it) shaped and installed. I pulled the hoses - they were a hassle to work around. Besides, I'm reworking them anyway.

More shaping/fitting the sistered pieces. Then back to the shop for mortising. Back to the boat (fortunately my shop is only 10 min from the boat) and dry fit.

Then installed.

Travis.

I picked up a few fittings. Previously, the sink drain was a little cumbersome. It's on the right most part of the image below. I was never very happy with it since it sticks down too far.

I was able to find something considerably better.

2nd lamination on the bed logs.

A few days later: (not much time in hours but waiting for the epoxy mostly between each step). Sanded, filleted then taped the joints between the floors that support the fuel tank and the hull.

The scupper drain system is not the right configuration - this is just temporary so that when it rains it won't drain into the bilge and keeps them out of the way (sort of) while I'm working in this area. I'll rework it and cross them over properly after the diesel installation.

Travis.

Good work Travis, glad you sorted that stern tube, I was getting worried

Do you have to add any more to engine bearers? There's a fair bit of difference.
    Last edited by andrewpatrol; 05-24-2017 at 01:46 AM.

This is really a unique project, using a fg hull and building everything else with ply & lumber; the tonne of work you've put into it is quite a testament to your patience/perseverance/stamina...

Please don't take this the wrong way, since I don't have nearly 1% of the experience you have (or most people on these excellent forums)...
    but I look at some of the pictures and half-wonder if too many fasteners are being used...

Maybe it's the size, or camera perspective but some of your shots remind me of this, (please forgive this picture, your work is clean - I do not intend insult, I'm just using it to show (exaggerate) the number of them per square foot)

So, my real question is; how do you (and other builders) come up with how many to use per square foot? Do you follow a general rule? Every 4 inches or 6 or just where needed etc?
    I've read some old Lloyd's scantlings in my own research and I find the subject endlessly fascinating. An engineering mind can tend to overthink such arrangements & patterns & wood considerations (if you see my meaning)

Please share thoughts, approaches, & experiences from hard reality especially

thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Dirc; 05-26-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Andrew - I think the two laminations will do it. I'll do some more shaping then fiberglassing but the width seems ok now. The aft engine mounts will sit about here with the correct spacing shown:

You can also see the above picture that the stringers are installed in the fuel tank support platform. The front cap is also in. The front cap sticks up about 3/4" which acts as a restraining lip.

Dirc - no offense taken. Most of the fasteners you see are really just temporary screws that act like clamps to seat the laminations while the epoxy cures. They are then pulled out and bogged over. Some look somewhat haphazard and random which pretty much correlates using 1/2" thick plywood. When I laminate the 1/4" plywood - its much more structured - usually no more than 3-inches apart. That seems to seat the laminations together well without creating voids in the test pieces.

Floor support for the fuel tank is pretty much there. Next on the agenda are side supports. The tank is sitting on the floors to measure the gaps in the sides.

While waiting for the epoxy I'm starting to do some maintenance on the bright work. I only had a couple coats on it and it was showing some wear over the winter. I'm planning on putting a dozen coats on or so to build up and protect the wood. Sanded, taped then gel stain and then starting the varnish. Well - not really varnish - in this case it's UV spar polyurethane.

The dog goes back in the car when I start varnishing. He's not very helpful in that respect.

Travis.

perhaps you could have saved yourself time & epoxy by just having an extra 4 dozen clamps? :P
    Last edited by Dirc; 05-28-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Bit of a milestone for me today.

Bowsprit is now installed.

This kicks off the beginning of the rigging phase.

My plan is to convert her to a gaff rig -- eventually. This might be somewhere in the 3-5 year range before it actually happens. In the mean time, I pretty much have everything to put her original rig back on. That will get me by for a while. I do need to make a few minor alterations to fit the original rig.

One of the alterations concerns the top of the masts. I am not a fan of wire halyards. The slot and sheaves are too narrow to use rope.

I'm going with external blocks, but they need risers to prevent binding against the mast. So - riser blocks added.

Surfaces ground, blocks epoxied into place. The supporting eye plates will be through bolted and the through bolts straddle the 1/2" bolt of the shroud plates. The masts are in good shape. I'm going to paint the top 2 ft and the bottom 1 ft of the masts to help protect them in these more vulnerable area. The rest will be finished bright.

Meanwhile, work continues on the fuel tank support. More to come.

Travis.

Mast ends are now painted.

I'm gearing up to get the sticks up. Over the last couple weeks, I've been fabricating the jin pole, stepping shoe and prop stick to be able to raise or lower the main mast. I'll use the main to lift the mizzen.

Here is the prop stick

And the temporary stepping shoe:

Hope to get the main mast up in the next week or two.

Travis.

You're doing a grand job on Zuri Travis !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Thanks Peter.

Fitting the mast head hardware:

I want the mast on top of the boat before fitting the spreader hardware and before installing the cables - so it needs to get up there.

With some strategically placed blankets and some safety line, I carried the mast one end at a time up the ladder.

Up on top.

It's looking like Saturday will be the big day to raise the masts. It will be a pretty big milestone for me to have the sticks up. First time for me seeing her like that. I'm pretty excited.

Hope to fit the spreaders and cables tomorrow. Then hoist the masts up Saturday.

Travis.

Looking good Travis. It will be good to see how she looks with the sticks in!
    PeterW