Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zuri

Default Re: Zuri

Travis

Very, very interesting. Some very good ideas already forming in my mind for next winter's plan (this winter's plan is already full). There is a bit of studying for me to do.

Thanks.

Roger

geez Travis, you sure put in with the windows alone, Personally I dont think I have that sort of patience. They look fantastic, Thanks for posting

Foredeck:

Took a few days to demo out the existing. The bedding between the existing plywood deck and the flange of the hull mold was good so it didn't come out easy. This was mainly a sawsall, chisel and hammer affair.

Got rid of everything down to the fiberglass hull (which has a deck 5-inch flange on it that you can see here)

[IMG]

Made a bending mold and started constructing deck beams - if I had to do it again, I would have laminated this up out of solid wood. It works fine with plywood, but plywood isn't quite as strong since the grain varies. The transverse layers just don't do much. It turned out fine though.

[IMG]

Yanked out the previous chain locker bulkhead and replaced it too. Deck beams starting to go in.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Chain locker bulkhead was laminated. Here (2) layers of 1/2" plywood.

The screws are just temporary clamps. They come come out

[IMG]

There is 1/2" layer of hard foam insulation installed by the factory. This is ground off in the areas where I bond to the hull. The insulation is a great thing and gets restored later.

More sub framing for the samson post and windlass.

[IMG]

Deck was sheathed with 1/2" then a 1/4" layer of plywood, seams staggered and constructed over beams. The fore hatch frame just fitted up here.

[IMG]

All the corners were rounded over to accept the fiberglass layers. All edges got (3) 10z layers of tape. The deck got (2) 10 oz layers which folded over the edges - so the edges at this point has (5) layers. Overkill, but I lived on a leaky boat for 3 years. Never again, will I put up with topside leaks.

[IMG]
    Last edited by Zuri; 03-16-2017 at 09:13 PM.

So fiberglassing took quite some time.

[IMG]

I added bulwarks to the boat - they weren't there originally. I also cut off the beak or clipper bow - just a personal preference.

Here I'm mocking up the forward shape - At first I though about terminating it kind of like a Westsail.

[IMG]

I didn't care for it - I opted to go a little different route.

[IMG]

After the deck was fiberglassed, block risers were added for the hardware. Those were then fiberglassed too. All the fastener locations were overdrilled, filled with colloidal silica and epoxy, then re-drilled. No water leaching into the plywood.

[IMG]

I opted for the bulwark to continue around and envelope the bowsprit. I just like the look - even though it was a lot of work.

This is simply great craftsmanship. Thank you for sharing it with us!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Here you see the bulwark starting to form and the windlass being fitted. [IMG]

I'll go into the bulwark construction in a different section later.

The fore hatch frame is installed over the riser.

[IMG]

Fitting of the bowsprit - this is the old one. I made a new one. The samson post is coming up.

[IMG]

Above you see the bulwark frame coming together. This also gets 3 layers of tape on the deck/bulwark joint. The top of the plywood is rounded over to accept (2) 10z layers of fiberglass.

[IMG]

More glassing.

[IMG]

[IMG]

All of this sub-structure gets glassed in preparation for the cap - which consists of bright finished shoulders and the cap itself.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Here I'm starting the shoulders - the outer faces are exposed and finished bright - the cap sits on top. The front consisted of 1/16" laminations of Sapele built out to 5/8" thick or (10 layers), laminated in place.

The shoulders were needed due to the width of the cap wanted (3-inches) and the fact that I had to round off the plywood to get the fiberglass to form around it. The shoulders were built up and the gap filled with epoxy so the cap had a nice, flat surface to bond to.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Here, you see the shoulders pretty much formed and filled in preparation for the cap.

[IMG]

Starting to fit the cap.

[IMG]

That impact driver took a beating from me for about 3 years. You can see the nice coating of epoxy that was built up on the thing over the course of this project. When it finally gave up the ghost, I picked up another one. I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did.

Cap roughed in.

[IMG]

This is a little better view of the shoulders and cap - the cap overlaps by about 1/2"

[IMG]

[IMG]

The cap is roughed in and epoxied down. Then the fairing starts. That took a few days with a long torture board to get it where I was happy with it.

[IMG]

Once the edges were faired, the edges were rounded over, screws plugged and a protective coating of epoxy was put on. Finishing wouldn't happen for another year or two so the epoxy would just be a sacrificial coating - also to seal the wood so I wouldn't get primer or paint into the pours.

[IMG]

Then the fiberglass fairing process starts.
    Last edited by Zuri; 03-16-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Wow--lots of great work going on with this boat, Travis. Thanks for posting (even if this thread does make me feel like an underachiever...)

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Fairing took several weeks. Not just the foredeck though - it was for the entire topside.

[IMG]

I would use different pigments in the epoxy and microballoons to tell what day and where I've been - Red, blue, purple, yellow.

[IMG]

Then a coat of paint - to see where I'm at.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I used system three paint. All the epoxy and primer were system three too - I didn't want any chemistry incompatibility with the amount of work going into this.

Painting showed where I needed to rework it.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Then repainted - a couple coats.

[IMG]

[IMG]

It's not perfect, but good enough for this stage of the game. There will be non-skid added later on the deck and cabin top, so that will further hide my amateur job.
    Last edited by Zuri; 12-03-2016 at 02:34 AM.

Here is the samson post step - it sits right in the chain locker

[IMG]

After the chain locker has been fiberglassed, the step gets fitted.

[IMG]

Then installed.

[IMG]

A couple layers of fiberglass goes over this to protect it.

The samson post blank gets glued up.

[IMG]

Shaped

[IMG]

And installed.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The new bowsprit has a tenon that sits in the mortise of the samson post.

Travis.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    This is simply great craftsmanship. Thank you for sharing it with us!
    Thanks Garret.
    Travis.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Wow--lots of great work going on with this boat, Travis. Thanks for posting (even if this thread does make me feel like an underachiever...)

Tom
    Thanks Tom,

Don't feel that way. It's taken a few years for me to get to this point and I still have a ways to go. It's just a labor of love for me. I sit behind a desk all day, so working with my hands is a welcome release.

Travis.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuri View Post
    Thanks Tom,

Don't feel that way. It's taken a few years for me to get to this point and I still have a ways to go. It's just a labor of love for me. I sit behind a desk all day, so working with my hands is a welcome release.

Travis.

I can understand that Travis.
    Nevertheless , this build is a real credit to you.
    It does take tenacity and dedication to keep a high standard like you have .

Thanks for posting.

Amazing! Just got home from work - 2:30 AM
    I don't think I will be able to sleep now.
    ....I am going to delete all treads I ever started here.....
    What a great work Travis!

Wojo

Impeccable. Not in the least amateur

Impeccable. Not in the least amateur

Super job Travis ....thanks for posting!
    PeterW

Travis

Can I ask which cloth you chose? And do you use standard epoxy or the G-flex or similar?

Fascinating work, enormously impressive. Well done.

Roger

Thanks guys,

And Wojo - don't delete your threads. I like reading them. I've gleened a lot of useful information from this forum over the last several years. I joined and started these threads for a few reasons, one of which is to give back a little. I'll also be asking for some help when it comes time for some upcoming projects, like engine installation, alignment and some of the systems which are yet to be installed.

Roger - I've used System Three Silvertip. It's a great all around resin used for coating, bonding, laminating and just about any other purpose for boat construction. I'm impressed with it, so I haven't varied.
    The cloth is a pretty standard woven 10 oz used for epoxy resin. It comes in a 54 inch wide roll x 100 yds. Tape is also woven.

Travis.

Travis

Thanks.

You should be very proud of your accomplishment.

Thanks Gord - still a work in progress.

Travis.

So what have you got left to do?

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    So what have you got left to do?
    The structure and exterior are pretty much done. Cabinets are fabricated and installed but not complete - I still need to make and install doors and trim.

All the systems (electrical, water/plumbing, propane & heat) have yet to be installed. The diesel needs to be installed. Spars, sails and rigging still needs to happen. And then finishing, which that has a big long list which itself will probably take me a couple years.

I hope to finally get the boat to a point where I can enjoy it out on the water. Many of the remaining issues will be worked out in a more leisurely fashion.

I'm hoping to complete the dinghy this winter and install the diesel come spring. With that, I can at least use Zuri to get me to some of the San Juan Islands and gunkhole with the dinghy. I'm really looking forward to that.

Travis.

Decks

The entire deck was replaced with (2) layers of plywood. First 1/2" then 1/4" over that. The first part was done one section at a time so I wouldn't loose alignment of the boat.

[IMG]

Each section was cut/stripped.

[IMG]

All the mating surfaces prepped by sanding/scraping and coating where appropriate.

Templates made.

[IMG]

Panels cut

[IMG]

and installed.

[IMG]

Pretty straight forward but it was fairly time consuming. Things like extracting the old, pulling all the screws, scraping the underside surfaces took a while. I'd also hit the plywood edges and underside surfaces with a couple coats of epoxy so each of these segments would take a few days in preparation for installation.

Travis.

The first 1/2" thick layer was through bolted to the fiberglass flange along the perimeter. Later the 1/4" layer would cover everything.

[IMG]

You can see evidence of the epoxy joint between deck panel and lower cabinside beam. Also, bedding compound was used between the outer fiberglass shear flange and panel with the bolted connection.

Cabin sides were treated in a similar fashion, one segment at a time to mitigate potential alignment shifts.

[IMG]

Some areas were rotten, others decent but it was all replaced. I kept the original thickness of the members, the cabin sides were 1" thick. I laminated it up in (2) 1/2" marine plywood layers.

I'd strip back the fiberglass cover and dig out the filler to expose the screws. I pulled all the screws out to not damage the ribs and other existing framing, which were in great shape.

[IMG]

Inside view of the framing. I tried to be careful about not damaging these or messing around with their position/alignment. It was time consuming to be careful but it turned out well.

[IMG]

New cabin sides.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Travis.

Big milestone today.

I ordered a new Beta 25 a few weeks ago and it arrived in PT Townsend last week. Today, I enlisted the help of my son to help me go pick it up.

Now that the Shellback dinghy is done, I'll focus my attention back onto Zuri. Looking forward to it - I haven't really made any progress on her since last summer. That's about to change. More to come.

Travis.

Very nice Travis !!

Very nice present. Your boat won't know herself. What have you decided about the rig?