Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Zuri

Default Zuri

This is Zuri.

[IMG]

At least a fairly current version of Zuri (taken last July on a test launch). She's a 31 ft Ketch I've been working on the last 5 years. I have a couple more years to go before she's substantially complete. I say substantially, because I don't think a boat project is ever complete.

She has a fiberglass hull but everything I've done is wood (well, sort of - epoxy fiberglass over plywood with bits of real wood used here and there) - so hopefully, I won't be outright rejected here.

I hope to document the build or refit of this project on this thread, and continue on with this project while participating with this forum.

Feel free to chime in, enjoy, shake your head at the insanity that is a big boat project or take away what you will. Comments are welcome.

Travis.
    Last edited by Zuri; 01-04-2017 at 07:00 PM.

Default Re: Zuri

Nice work indeed Zuri.

I hope you don`t mind me posting this one , it shows your great workmanship:

She started off a little rough.

I was looking for a project. I wanted a full keel, blue water capable, ketch rig in the 30-36 ft range. I had been coming craigslist for a couple years and found an add for a Mariner 32 ketch for $500.

After doing a little research, I thought this would fit the bill. Good pedigree with a couple of known issues that I can remedy.

So - I went to see this project for the first time.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    PERFECT!

Last edited by Zuri; 11-27-2016 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by boat fan View Post
    Nice work indeed Zuri.

I hope you don`t mind me posting this one , it shows your great workmanship:
    Thanks,
    Travis.
    Last edited by Zuri; 01-13-2017 at 02:21 PM.

So - I hired a boat mover to bring her to her new home in Everett, WA.

[IMG]

I took a few days to clear all the junk out of her and get her ready for the move. Then moving day came.

[IMG]

And trucked her about 75 miles north through Seattle.

[IMG]

And to her new home for the next few years.

[IMG]

First order - get some protection over her and something that I can work in year round.

[IMG]

She and I need a shelter.

[IMG]

That shelter was modified several times over and it served me well. If I had to do it again, I would have invested the time into a larger bow shed from the beginning. There were a lot of cold, dark and wet days ahead and a shelter was an absolute essential part of this build.

I'm not sure where to go next. Maybe I'll kind of give a run down of the general scope here by focusing on just the cockpit area.

I stripped everything out behind the main bulkhead. [IMG]

What you see here is the fiberglass shell with a 1/2" layer of foam insulation the factory put on the inside of the shell. I took everything out down to that. Here I'm tabbing in a new section of bulkhead separating the cockpit area from the main cabin. You see the engine bedlogs at the bottom and a rough opening of the offset companionway to the upper right.
    [IMG]

Looking aft - a new bulkhead fabricated and installed around the rudder shaft housing. Starting to form up the vertical panels for the cockpit well and seat.
    [IMG]

Bulkhead work around the rudder shaft. Tabbed in with fiberglass tape and epoxy.

[IMG]

Framing continues - I bounce around on the project in various places. This is a few months into the build.

[IMG]

Here you see my fancy radius maker as I'm forming the seat.

[IMG]

Curves are made this way. I kerf plywood and epoxy it into shape using temporary screws to hold it in place. The kerfs are filled, sanded and this process is repeated with laminations. Each curve can take several days to make and there are a lot of curves on this girl.

[IMG]

Mizzen support - this was a known problem area of the boat. Originally it had a 2-inch plank supporting the mizzen with not much underneath it. Not here. It is designed to take considerably more axial loading from the mast in anticipation of converting over to a gaff rig sometime in the future.

[IMG]

Main bulkhead was completely replaced. Seats are in and so is most of the framing for the cockpit.
    Last edited by Zuri; 01-13-2017 at 02:28 PM.

[IMG]

Above is the start of the temporary bending form for making the seat backs and coaming.

[IMG]

Temporary top and bottom cleats installed.

[IMG]

This method allows for complex, compound curves. These are just bending forms - it all comes out after the first 3 laminations are in place.

Travis.

Start of the laminations.

[IMG]

This continues on until it's about 3/4" thick or 3 laminations, then it is stiff enough to remove the form.

[IMG]

Form removed and cutting holes in the seats for the lazarette and various other things.

[IMG]

recessed motor control housing and manual bilge pump.

[IMG]

Hatches and gutter framing.

[IMG]

Instrument and navigation housing

[IMG]

Mizzen mast support platform - approx 4 inches thick vs the 1-1/2" from original configuration. The bulkhead also fully surrounds this area where the original construction was pretty open.

[IMG]

Above shows the backbone of the coaming after the form is gone.

[IMG]

Travis.
    Last edited by Zuri; 01-13-2017 at 02:30 PM.

Stiffening band around the top of the coaming. And here you start to see the forming of the risers for the primaries. There are two on each side.

[IMG]

The deck was cut out so I can fiberglass the underside - that was a fun job (where's the sarcastic button here). Also, so I can access the mounting hardware for the primaries.

[IMG]

Same curvy process - built up laminations followed by several layers of fiberglass here - inside and out. There can be a lot of force pulling on these risers.

[IMG]

Travis.

I've converted here from a wheeled doghouse steering system to a tiller. Just a preference. The coaming gets cut open and the surround formed for the rudder shaft.

[IMG]

Sounds pretty simple but this is several months of work - just for the cockpit. I had a machine shop fabricate up a coupler to the rudder shaft and machined a billet of stainless that I bury under the tiller. The tiller here is temporary (meaning a few years). Later, I'll replace it with a cast bronze head with a removable tiller. For now, it's fixed.

[IMG]

Continuing to take shape.

[IMG]

Travis.
    Last edited by Zuri; 01-13-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Almost ready for fiberglassing.

[IMG]

Still working on a bunch of little things - like the gutter that goes under the sole.

[IMG]

It has a removable sole - so I can stick the diesel down there without having to go through the cabin.

We can fast forward over the fiberglassing stage - you don't need to see that kind of misery here.

Here's the priming/fairing stage.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Epoxy build primer and epoxy mixed with microballoons for fairing. I would use coloring admixtures just so I can see where I'm at.

[IMG]

It's a seemingly endless cycle. There are many who are much better at it than me. I just have to persevere and keep repeating until I'm satisfied. Well, maybe not satisfied, but sick enough of it that I'll call it good enough.

[IMG]

After a coat of paint, she starts to look respectable.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Hi
    You are doing great job of being the old tried yacht and giving a new least of life, look forward to seeing more of your restoration work on this fine yacht. I have being doing much the same job on bring my 76 year old yacht back from a neglected state to a sailing yacht again, so far the project as run for 8 years , however, I think I am getting somewhere now. I hope to be going sailing in the spring.

Regards
    Simon

But no. Wait. I don't like it. How about another round?

[IMG]

This is me, in my native habitat. I wore this thing for months. Fairing was done in the winter, mostly dark, cold. Hat, headlamp and respirator. Fun, fun, fun. (Where's that sarcastic button again).

[IMG]

All better now.

[IMG]

That pretty much covers the cockpit to it's current stage.

Travis.
    Last edited by Zuri; 01-13-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Perseverance will win out in the end, You will be able to look back and know it was worth all the hard work getting the result you wanted.

Regards
    Simon

Hi Travis
    Now to fit out the interior and the challenges that will bring along the way. It will be fun and a few sleepless night thinking how does that fit there.

Regards

Simon

Thanks Simon,

I've browsed your Mai-Star thread and have seen you around this forum many times. I'm a new member but a longtime lurker.

Keep at it. Some day - right?

Travis.

Hi Travis,

I have done many different projects over the years and never get bore of doing something different, which after all is the spice of life.

Regards
    Simon

What an enjoyable thread. Well done, thank you. And a couple of little ideas to borrow. Very intersted to follow more. How you did the windows would particularly interest me when you are ready.

Thanks Roger,

Sure - I'll show windows next.

Travis.

Beautiful work! I'll be borrowing that radius maker idea from post #8. That will come in handy making the curved ends for the seating in my Palmer fantail launch. Thanks!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Exemplary work Travis. Lucky boat to have a new lease on life. I too am interested in the window technique, when you're ready.

Windows it is then.

Let's start where I usually do: the drawing table (well in this case it's on a screen instead of a table)

Here is the concept of the window shown in a sketch (section view).

[IMG]

I made up a number of templates to facilitate the construction and installation.

First - locating template for drilling the mounting holes.

[IMG]

Locations of the inner trim ring are marked - I played with the spacing using paper templates and to establish the largest size I can fit while maintaining tooling clearances (mainly the trim router which did the majority of the work).

[IMG]

Same goes for the little guys too.

[IMG]

All the mounting holes were overdrilled, filled with colloidal silica and epoxy, then redrilled using the templates to form a barrier ring to protect the plywood in case the bedding compound doesn't cooperate.

[IMG]

Back at the shop:

The ring blanks are made from splined and segmented sections. This way, instability of the grain structure, mainly radial shrinking/swelling is mitigated.

Here you see a simple sled jig used to cut the mortises on a table saw.

[IMG]

To the left you can see the small spline which acts as a tenon.

There's a dozen windows each having an inner and and outer trim ring. The larger windows have 8 segments. The smaller 6 so that is a whole lot of segments to be milled.

[IMG]

Like I said - I made up a number of jigs to facilitate. Here are the gluing jigs with the quality control inspector.

You can see the pile of ring segments milled and stacked up against the back wall. I could glue up 1 ring per day due to the limitations of the epoxy. So - it took a few weeks.

Here is the main jig for this operation. It's a simple base made that screws onto the trim router and has an indexing pin.

[IMG]

It's used for making the master blanks and for cutting the openings on the boat cabin walls.

Here I'm using one of the blanks to make the master pattern. This will be used to locate and drill the index holes (See all the holes centered in the segments?) for fabricating the rest. The index holes are drilled first - these are patterned off the index holes already drilled on the boat and they will hold the blanks in alignment.

A simple flush trim bit will be used with the master acting as a pattern for all the other blanks.

[IMG]

Some of the various stages and indexing template shown above.

That same routing jig is used to cut the opening. I spin it around a center shaft taking about 1/8-1/4 cuts at a time with a spiral bit. When it breaks through, you can see and feel it and you just have to be a little careful with the direction your pulling on the router to finish the cut.

[IMG]

Again, nothing gets past the onsite inspector.

Then the trim rings are fit.

[IMG]

As careful as I was about indexing everything, the cabin side is 1-inch thick. The bits would wander a bit and my tolerances weren't perfect so there were a few holes that had to be reworked/adjusted. If I drilled into plywood, standard procedure here was to re-overdrill, fill with colloidal silica and redo the pilot hole.
    Also, from this stage forward, the windows are married to their postion. They must be carefully labeled in position and orientation for alignment in the future.
    They come on and off several times.

[IMG]

Exact same process for the little guys too.

[IMG]

The outside trim rings are sealed. The inside trim rings get little black plastic plugs so I can service them. To rebed, the plastic plugs come off, I unscrew the machine screw and pull the rings. There is a stainless tee nut embedded and epoxied into the outer trim ring that the machine screw catches.
    When the blanks are fitted, the tee nuts are bedded in epoxy then the outer holes plugged. This locks the alignment of the fasteners and postitions of the tee nuts and marries the inner and outer trim rings - no mixing and matching from here on. Even though they come apart, they are constructed as one unit.

[IMG]

Smile Re: Zuri

Once the blanks have been located and installed with their mates, the epoxy cured (inside holding the tee nut, and plug), the windows are pulled and the rough opening prepped.

[IMG]

I don't have many photos of this step and it went with several others but the surfaces are faired, the cabin rabbet is cut (using a rabbet bit around the rough opening). I taped the edges with fiberglass (because I'm anal) and the surfaces are sealed, faired and painted.

A whole lot of finishing had to take place before the actual installation of the windows (using sealant). So several months passed between fabrication and installation.

[IMG]

I pulled the rings (after carefully labeling them on the inside face), took them back to the shop for finishing. Sealed with epoxy, large variations in color subdued with gel stain and several coats of UV inhibited poly on top of that. Sorry to disappoint you true varnish guys out there. You can join the already disappointed crowd that this isn't a real wood boat .
    Last edited by Zuri; 03-16-2017 at 08:09 PM.

After the cabin sides were painted, it's time for window installation. Sorry - I don't have good photos of this. It was pretty hot and I had limited time. I used black Dow Corning 795 to bed the glass and trim rings. That stuff is tenacious and will get everywhere. I masked off the area, ran a razor blade around the ring to produce a clean line.

Then the time came to install the windows permanently.

[IMG]

It's kind of hard to tell, but this is the best photo I can find of the inner trim rings. See the little black plugs? Those are pretty easily removable to gain access to the machine screws holding everything together.

[IMG]

There's also a groove milled around the outside of the inside trim ring. The thought here is to use a cover, kind of like a sock with a bungee around to cover the window. That way I don't have to put up curtain rods or wires for privacy. When I pull up to a dock, I can just cover the dockside windows quickly. I haven't sewn those yet.

That's pretty much it for windows. Hope you enjoyed or maybe found a couple things interesting or helpful.

Travis.