Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini mouseboat(s) winter build

Default Re: Mini mouseboat(s) winter build

Eager to see this little toot on the water!
    Nice job on the tombstone chair. I have looked into the history of the plank chair, and while some ascribe it to the Vikings, it's origin seems to have been in west Africa, as a birthing chair.
    Last edited by Bill in Oregon; 04-08-2017 at 11:06 AM.

I have had much success on these little guys using muslin as deck "canvas". I just glue it down with TBII, then paint over it. It has held down the checking on the decks of my sailing canoe for nearly 3 years, now. And it sorta looks like canvas. Cool look, I think.
    I've only used it on decks, so I don't know.

The new style deck "restore" paint is what I used on my pirogue rebuild, and it filed all the checking. Also used that paint in the dumb punt, and no checking there, yet, either. Only problem is the extreme grittiness of the paint, but it is good non skid. Time will tell, I guess.

Looking good, Buddy.

Peace,
    Robert

Thanks, Bill

I am just as excited about seeing her in the water as you

The only hickey to that dream is that I am about 1/2 again as heavy as her MAXIMUM recommended capacity

Will half2 find a midget 2 try her out ;-)

Right now I am considering doing her sister w/ PL-PREMIUM 3X for comparison in ease of building

This exercise is primarily proving what most of us already knew and that is that EPOXY, though a bit more pricy, is the best bonding agent for projects like this

EPOXY can hide a plethora of misteaks/issues and still maintain the integrity desired

As for the chair, yes they go way back in tyme and to different continents yet...

Having a plank to plant with a cowhand that died on the trail was really handy

Like most of the stuff in the cowboy's/western arsenal the Maritime migration of humans on earth has provided MANY useful items

Much of the brass hardware on harnesses came from the old sailing ships' chandlers

I frequently find the Wilcox Crittenden logo on harness items

And kinda like the COWBOY'S WAX'D CANVASS DUSTER which came thru Australia from the UK, literally AROUND THE WORLD

They came from companies like BARBOUR as foul weather gear and were adapted to range life and even motorcycle adventuring

Many Thanks for the note

I frequently wonder who is reading the stuff I am posting, specially since the thread hit count went over 3k over night

I guess I knead to close this thing up and get my hiney to the barn

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

AR, that muslin process sounds like a cool topping for this little girl

'twould be different, fir shir...

& it would give me a reason to create some decorative trim to go along with the seat slats ;-)

sw

steve

Steve, it is interesting how much the Mini mouseboat reminds me of Bolger's Auray from the side view. Thank you for the time you have put into this thread.

Bill she does kinda look like the Auray, just a bit gaunt...

I appreciate your kindness

The build has been quite a bit of fun and I am hoping the thread will incite others to get constructive

Maybe some daddy will make a fleet for his kids :-)

I would enjoy knowing who else is following along

sw

steve

Had a good coupla days in the barn

Unscrewed some stuff I had screwed up

Glued some pieces I had split/broken

Cut a new piece to replace a seat slat that I had cut wrong

Got up there yesterday and went off on a tangent before I got to making saw dust and Cetol'd the WRC seat slats

Trying to make a silk purse out of the proverbial sow's ear

First coat looked good

I managed to get a piece of 1/4" ply cut to fit as a skeg and just needed to duplicate/double it to come up with the spec'd 1/2" thickness

The design specs strongly suggest a large skeg that extends fwd to the deepest point of the hull so I turned the boat bottom's up and used a level, some scrap wood & some clamps to define the shape once I got the bottom curve scribed & cut

This is where having a level work table that is large enough to flip the boat when needed pays off

LEVEL & SQUARE!

Since the intended users of these kayaks are YOUNG/BEGINNERS I decided to add some bottom protection at the small cost of some added weight

The design doesn't even call for a shoe so these two 1/2" thick skids really are extra

Next I got the two 1/4" skeg halves laminated w/ glue & non metalic sprigs

The sprigs are glass fibers encased in some type of temperature sensitive plastic and have some serious holding power though no shear strength

They can be sanded w/o tearing up the sandpaper so I used some I already had even though they were a bit long

Ran out of pic space again

BE RIGHT BACK

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 05:58 PM.

steve

The next part to tackle was the shoe which is intended to serve two purposes

One purpose and an obvious one is PROTECTION OF THE HULL BOTTOM

The second purpose is to FIRMLY HOLD THE SKEG VERTICLE rather than screw it on from the inside

A piece 1-1/2" wide x 1/2" thick to match the skids was cut from a 2x4 I had on hand and a 1/2" slot was cut in the aft end to to sandwich the skeg in pace

My friends the lead weights and a chunk of railroad track are babysitting with the shoe & skeg tonight

If I get home from the flea market tomorrow early enough PLAN A is to go back up to the barn & finaize the skids, shoe & skeg ;-)

'till next time...

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 06:05 PM.

steve

Steve, that boat is going to track!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Oregon View Post
    Steve, that boat is going to track!
    I certainly hope sew

Everything I can do to engineer success for a beginner/kid is money in the bank ;-)

Thanks,

sw

steve

Well nothing moved over night and the shoe began learning it's new contour while I was gone

It was tyme to line the shoe up & NAIL IT, once the fwd end was screwed in place

With the BOLD CENTERLINES lined up 2 screws anchored the fwd end and using an 8' ruler/straight edge to check alignment the edges were marked w/ pencil

Screws in the bow transom & fwd bulkhead with LTN's(little tiny nails) in the aft bulkhead & stern transom

LTN's cross nailed holding the skeg in the shoe

I found a coupla boxes of LTN's at one of the local flea markets and they're skinny enough to knot2 split the shoe as easily as screws or regular bronze ring shanked boat nails

The weighted shoe & skids were left to cure for 48 hours and the bottom was then coated with thinned TB lll

Painting and calking are next with plans to use latex porch & deck paint on the bottom and gloss exterior latex on the sides & interior with paintable exterior latex calk filling & fairing as needed

All the glue needs to cure a while before scuffing, calking & painting

One of the hopes I am nurturing is that since both the glue & paint are water soluable that they will play well together as they both cure over several day's tyme

Only tyme will tell...

'till next tyme

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 07:33 PM.

steve

This build was interrupted again with a side trip to the BAYOU TECHE WOODEN BOAT FESTIVAL in Franklin, La where I displayed my 26 year old Port Aransas Skiff and last year's build the Portuguese Dinghy

For anyone who has the time and is close enough this FESTIVAL is worth the trip

When I got back it was time for a LOOK-SEE at which point I decided the screws will be left in place so i pulled the ones that did not sink themselves used a countersink and reset them to just below the surface

All the way around and into the 2 bulkheads

Said bukheads are aso the terminating points for the skids

The screws in the shoe & skids did not provide as much hold as I liked so I am filleting them to the bottom

Dad fondly referred to thickened POX as DOOKIE-SMULCH so I guess that term will also apply to the wood flour thickened TB lll

Not knowing how well the mixture would resist sagging I tilted the hull so the DOOKIE-SMULCH could lay in a "V" instead of having to hang onto a verticle surface

My old friend the 3-step ladder came in handy for this process and held the hull at a nice 45 angle

The angle produced by the ladder created the "V" I was looking for

I'll be right back

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 07:41 PM.

steve

See that didn't take long ;-)

The fillets went on smoothly and lay peacefully in that "V" while they took their initial set

Once the set had started I flip'd the hull around/over and did the other side

During this wait I was able to scrape most of the excess DOOKIE-SMULCH off with a putty knife which should reduce the amount of sanding for finishing

Tyme to rest for me and the boat

After a bit of work around the barn I was able to survey the job and rememberized a process and tool I learned about way back in the 1960's when I was beginning to drive on public streets

I have seldom been found guilty of following instructions properly the first time they were offered and found myself having to learn how to do auto body repairs ;-(

That was the period when BONDO came on the scene and LEAD was being phased out slowly

As BONDO was setting up my mentors would use a CABBAGE FILE to do the preliminary shaping BEFORE THE BONDO SET

When they waited for that stuff to set it was like trying to shape a rock w/ a piece of fine sandpaper :-(

If one doesn't work neatly and there is excess DOOKIE-SMULCH it is best to remove it before it fully sets

This is where the CABBAGE FILE comes in real handy

Nowadayz Stanley Tools calls the CABBAGE FILE a SUREFORM TOOL

While the TB lll is still a bit pliable/soft it can be removed or shaped easier than when it fully sets

After scraping what I could and before the stuff cured fully I was able to remove more of the mess hopefully leaving less sanding work in my future

Now the fillets will have about a week to cure while we set our old travel trailer up in Port Aransas for the summer where I get to work/volunteer at FARLEY BOAT WORKS which is a part of the PORT ARANSAS MUSEUM

See you when I get back

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 07:45 PM.

steve

The "Winter Build" has stretched into summer and I am still SANDING :-O

SANDING & SANDING & SANDING...

The TB lll SHRINKS A LOT as it cures and even when it's thickened it still shrinks a lot

The fillets are quite a bit smaller than when I left 'em butt I am sure they will suffice

My handy dandy electric drill accessory is doing yoeman's work on the fillets

I discovered this at HF two projects ago and it is still serving me well when i am sanding fillets

The tool is less than $5 and sure does save some time

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-8...ank-60325.html

The fillets only need a little bit of hand sanding after using the 80 grit nyon wheel/brush

Just about finished sanding and will only have a little bit more filling, due to shrinkage, and fairing to do before priming the sides & bottom

Back to the salt mines this afternoon

More later, HASTA...

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 07:49 PM.

steve

Did I mention SANDING?

Thought I was about done SANDING...

WRONG!!! :-O

HAND/BLOCK SANDING revealed that I had a handful of screws that were still a bit proud and I ended up sanding the rust resisting coating off

Since this is an experiment with big box store supplies I figured said supplies at least deserved a fair chance at surviving ;-)

The affected screws were removed, the holes were re-sunk, new screws were installed

And all the divots where the thickened glue shrunk and the replaced screws were filled

Hopefully today's work will cure enough to be sanded soon

I sure hope my mistakes are helping some of you who are following along

I'll be back

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 07:52 PM.

steve

The education I am getting certainly is testimony favoring using products often considered more boat related(POX, stainless steel & bronze)

UNLESS... you have oodles & oodles of time on your hands AND are financially $trapped :-O

The shrinkage of the TB lll continues to amaze me, is anyone having similar experiences w/ TB ll?

The term LABOR INTENSIVE keeps popping into my mind

I'm headed for the barn this afternoon to take a few last swipes at the exterior of the hull and hopefully get a coat or 2 of primer on her

Later

sw

steve

That cotton pickin' glue shrunk AGAIN leaving CHINGA DINGAS that would not look good even for a UTILITY FINISH

The next big box store product put into service was EXTERIOR SPACKLING COMPOUND

The new stuff on the market comes out of the tube PINK and dries to an off white as it becomes ready for sanding

It sure sands easily

While I was doing the final prep I kept looking at the skeg

It looked PLAIN and was begging for some personality

While the CHIEF OF SECURITY monitored the main access road (the front drive) a grinder got loose and made sawdust out of the tail of the skeg

Photographic documentation of THE ACCIDENT to follow below

Spackling, finish sanding & 2 coats of LATEX PRIMER went on on Saturday afternoon

The 1st & 2nd coats of red went on Monday afternoon

This afternoon the 3rd & final coat of red went on and it will need to cure FOR A WHILE

And here is what happened to the skeg after a bit of cosmetic enhancements

The Texas 200 is coming up soon and it is time to start prepping for it

I leave for the coast one week from tomorrow morning and will be gone for 3 weeks

1st & 3rd weeks will be spent helping out @ FARLEY BOAT WORKS during two YOUTH BOAT BUILDING workshops when the kids just so happen to be building MINI MOUSEBOATS

The middle week will be spent on the water trying to finish what I started last year THE TEXAS 200

ALL IN ALL 3 weeks should allow the LATEX PORCH AND FLOOR ENAMEL time enough to cure quite well :-)

Later

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 08:02 PM.

steve

WELL, I haven't been slacking this week

Keeping up w/ a couple 12 year olds is WORK(that's a 4-letter word)

Though I didn't make it down to FARLEY'S until Wednesday the kids, 1 w/ dad & the other w/ grands, started out on Tuesday morning @ 9:30 w/ a pile of plywood rectangles and some 8' sticks of 1x1 pine

By the time I showed up the transoms & bulkheads had been cut and assembled along with cutting the side panels

For everything above the waterline they were using Tite Bond lll and would use pox for the under water seams and last minute issues

Carter & his grandMAW w/ some direction from Frank Coletta

Austin's DAD was his support team

The kids were quite animated all week and on Saturday the painted boats hit the water @ the Port Aransas Muni Harbor ramp

Quite a SPLASH

Lotsa PRIDE standing behind 2 nicely built boats

I now have 2 days to check n re-check my prep and supplies for the Texas 200

Hasta

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 08:06 PM.

steve

WELL... I just thought keeping up w/ 2 kids & their projects was WORK

REAL WORK is keeping up w/ 4 kids & 4 builds!!!

The week started off smoothly w/ kids n parents showing up on Tuesday morning @ 9:30 for orientation

Once thru w/ orientation the kids met their respective piles of material

Frank had cut the side panels, bulkheads & transoms to spec(close anyway) and rough cut the decks & bottoms

He also precut the bevels on the framing components based on measurements he had taken from previous builds which saved a bunch of time planing in the long run

All the plywood used for these workshops/camps is of the finest kind

As we worked 2 weeks ago and ALL this week I gained a greater respect for the BS 1088 plywood called HYDROTEK

NO FOOTBALL PATCHES and NO VOIDS were evident in any of the pieces I worked with

This camp went smoothy though it was intense at times and I had forgotten how teens & pre-teens behaved at times

Working with that age group can be like trying to herd cats periodically ;-O

In days gone by when I worked with this age kids I was usually able to keep one step ahead of them and could out play them

My age is telling on me...

Both weeks Rick Pratt(Port Aransas Museum Director) came to PIPE THE EVIL SPIRITS AWAY and celebrate the WHISKEY PLANK(the last plank that goes on to make the boat a BOAT) which for the kids become DONUT PLANKS

Yesterday evening as Frank & I were closing up the shop after a particularly hard HOT day we gave one last look before turning the last light off

It truly was an AAAAH MOMENT!

2 little boats were resting there while that 2nd coat of paint was drying

What a nice feeling WATCHING PAINT DRY :-)

Saturday morning we installed the hatch covers, seats & bow cleats and took the boats out behind the shop to allow for some solar assistance in curing the paint B4 THE LAUNCH

THE LAUNCH Saturday morning @ 11:30 went off w/o any hickies and the kids ventured out to terrorize Port Aransas Municipal Harbor and a gaggle of unsuspecting boaters n fishers

WHAT A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE 2 camps of 4-1/2 days competed 6 boats and taught this old man that there are still some really good kids out there today

I'm pump'd up and ready to get back to the barn to put the finishing touches on my 1st of 2 MINI MOUSEBOATS :-)

I'll catch up with you later this week

'til then

Hasta

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 08:31 PM.

steve

DADGUMIT my photo hosting site waz hyjacked by the Rooskie Hackers and all my pics are being held for $400 annual ransom

At the suggestion of several folks here on this forum I loaded my library on Giggle Pics and have been organizing my folders for the last 3 dayz

BUTT... I haven't been able to post pics YET

When/if I get the process figgr'd out I'll post up this last week's progress

Decks are fitted n screw pilot holes drilled

Gamma Seal bucket lids have been modified and deck hatch holes located n cut out

Interior & decks have been primed

I am still in a quandary as to what kind of fittings(hesitate to say HARDWARE) will be used/created to secure her

Wanting something WOODEN and fitting her heritage

If anyone out there can tell me how to post pics from Giggle I sure would like to hear it

All I've managed to master is to add links, knot pics, to my posts

PICS drive forum build threads, IMHO

HELP REQUESTED

ISSUE RESOLVED

MANY THANKS to the forumite who suggested GOOGLE PICS!

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 08:34 PM.

steve

Making some good progress on the MOUSEBOAT & w/ posting pics

Yesterday the decks & interior got 2nd & 3rd HOT COATS of colour and the hatches were caulked & screwed in place

HOT COATING isn't agree'd on by some butt for me it seems to eliminate the re-prepping required once the paint has cured

ONLY TIME WILL TELL if my method is sound and lasts as long as the boat

I am thinking/hoping the colour scheme will please me even more when I can see it out in the sun

The lids feel like they are sealing and the boat's overall appearance is really growing on me

There is some touch up needed where the blue & cream touch and the blue needs a 2nd coat while the transoms need some more red

The closet pole for the double paddle got ripped on both ends and awaits the blades which will be glued, screwed and caulked in place

Today's THE 4TH and family obligations are preventing me from going to the barn

6 racks of BABY BACKS are being rubb'd as I type this and will be going into the smoker in about an hour

Last 4th's ribs came off in 1:45, the meat was pulling away from the bones and was so tender it could be cut w/ a plastic picnic fork

MAY JUST BE worth missing a day of playing w/ the little boat

As I get time I plan to go back to POST #1 and start repacing the "BLOCKED" images with real ones (DONE)

MORE LATER

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 08:38 PM.

steve

WOW those ribs were DE-LISH!!!

They came out of the cooker in 1:45 the meat was pulling away from the bones and was quite moist n tender

MMMMMMMMMMM GOOD!!!

Now that I have restored the pics on this thread i realize I haven't kept up with sharing some information about the parts/materials being used as well as I should have

Again the plywood is BCX-YP @ <$20/sheet & the glue is Tite-Bond lll, both alleged to be WATERPROOF/EXTERIOR products

The screws I am using are made by Hillman and intended for use with treated lumber(usually considered quite harsh on metal fasteners) of several different lengths, some of which had to be sourced from Amazon because of the length desired

https://www.amazon.com/Bronze-Exteri...r+drive+screws

A friend & I split 5# sacks of screws and there will be a bunch left from my 2-1/2#'s

The Behr(water based, exterior, trim paint) paint came from Home Depot

Modified Gamma Seal bucket lids from Lowe's are being used for the deck hatches

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Encore-Plastics-12-in-White-Plastic-Bucket-Lid/50094688

Screws for fastening the deck hatches to the wood are #6x3/4" stainless from the Lowe's Specialty Rack(not listed on their website)

The caulk is DAP Alex Fast Dry 5.5-oz White Paintable Latex Caulk @ < $2.50/tube and there is stil some left in the tube

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DAP-Alex-Fast-Dry-5-5-oz-White-Paintable-Latex-Caulk/50160577

SO FAR nothing with a MARINE USE designation has been used on this boat

Maintaining the parameters of the original quest, building entirely from BIG BOX STORE sources, has been slightly sporty at times butt it is proving to be not only possible butt reasonably inexpensive as well

sw

steve

WELL back to work after piggin out on ribs

I got the blades glued screwed & caulked into the ends of the closet rod and they are really close to being inline w/ each other

Got the seat slats installed

And got started on making wooden deck cleats out of a piece of oak i had in the barn

Cut 4 pieces 4-1/2" long and started playing around w/ making horns and a center hole while leaving enough meat between them to be able to bolt them thru the decks

Saw'd a 22mm hole in the center and a 29mm hole on each end

The wood clamp made it possible to saw the holes w/o having the wood spin in my hands and held the wood vertical for drilling the bolt holes

Once the holes were dressed to resemble a cleat

The edges were routed w/ a 1/4 round over bit inside & out then sanded for painting

The unfinished result was set in place for perusal

And was determined correct for this application and surrendered to sandpaper for clean up and then readied for paint

Today when I arrived there was a QC officer on the job making sure I was maintaining proper standards

He/She hung around for quite a while b4 heading back out to join the others that are destroying my pasture

That'z 6 pics...

I'll be right back

sw

steve

That didn't take long

Just a click away

Having an 8' aluminium ruler sure is handy for working on these little boats

Setting the cleats inline w/ each other was a lot easier with that long straight edge

10x32 stainless steel machine screws w/ fender washers flat washers ny-loc nuts and a 1/4" plywood backing plate were used to squeeze the caulk out all around each blue cleat as it was tightened in place

While the cleats were getting their blue paint the paddle was shouting from the corner ME TOO ME TOO and the blades got blue'd too

And that'z the way things looked when i closed the barn doors today

This pic was taken from a pallet a small diesel engine is sitting on which will have to be moved to get the boat out into the sun tomorrow for the 1st time

Hopefully the paddle shaft will turn cream coloured tomorrow and the little boat will get to see the sunshine for the first time

Since I weigh almost half again more than these little boats are designed for I will have to wait for SPLASH until the grandson has time to spare

Stay tuned for THE REST OF THE STORY

sw

steve

SUNSHINE...

First exposure to sunshine yesterday

And even better was that the grandson took my skiff to the pond on the same day

Got the last coat of paint on the paddle and it was time to turn the lights out

Today I spent some time(several hours) looking for a couple lost items

The top of the WORK TABLE & the BARN FLOOR

FOUND 'EM

Tools were blown off and stored on the tool cart

Blue tarp was folded up & stashed away

Both barn doors were opened up the fans were turned on and aimed at the back(down wind) door

With the aid of a leaf blower all the dust & shavings escaped out the back and blended in with the weeds

What'z next ?

Finish the 2nd Mini Mouseboat ?

This one gets glued up with polyurethane glue(PL-Premium 3x)

Sure hope this one doesn't take as long as the 1st

sw

steve

Very, very nice!

Have FUN!
    O'

Quote Originally Posted by OPossumTX View Post
    Very, very nice!

Have FUN!
    O'
    THANK YOU KIND SIR

i enjoyed the process

hope i finish #2 in a LOT less time

sw

steve

SPLASH DAY!!!

This afternoon my friend Mike agree'd to do the honors of taking Boat #1 out on the water for her first SPLASH

Lake Ray Roberts one of our local lakes has a launching ramp that just happens to be on the way home from the barn AND no one was using it today

We backed the pick up down the ramp and off loaded the boat into the water along side the dock

She floated w/ the chine just barely under water

With his life jacket on Mike step'd off the dock into the boat and realized the seat isn't really adult height and I could hear his knee pop from the bank as he sat down HARD :-O

He said it didn't hurt so OFF HE WENT

Remember I moved the seat forward so a seat cushion would fit between it and the rear bulkhead butt I forgot the cushion and Mike naturally slid back to where his butt was 4" behind the "balance point" and against the bulkhead

Even w/ "the load" too far back the stern transom just kissed the water and the bow transom was about 3" above it

The natural motion w/ a double paddle was a SWEEPING motion which produced a wiggle as she moved thru the water

Once he mastered the stroke the boat moved quite well thru the water and he was able to make some decent speed ;-)

After a lap around the cove the SPLASH was determined to be successfull w/ the only water in the boat having drip'd off the paddle

All n all SPLASH DAY went without any hickeys/surprises

It is not a surprise that the boat turned out like she did since Gavin Atkin did a wonderful job with his design and his book does a real well job of describing the building process

Any/all the hickups i have experienced so far were self generated

Tomorrow I take Boat #1 to Port Aransas where she will be under the watchfull eye/stewardship of Frank the manager of Farley Boat Works until the Port Aransas Wooden Boat Festival in October when it will be offered to the kids of the Festival goer's for some water flailing...

The cut out sides the framed bulkheads the framed transoms and the rough cut decks are waiting for Boat #2's build to begin

When I get back from PA next week I'll be heading for the mountains of New Mexico for a long weekend of cooking for the Monument Staff of Lincoln, NM during their Old Lincoln/Billy The Kid Days

I'll catch y'all up when I return ;-)

sw

steve

The trip was uneventful and the little girl enjoyed her 450+ mile ride

On Friday morning I left her on the picnic table in front of the boat shop for the staff to find when they arrived

My personal business went well and when I got back to the boat shop I heard the Mouseboat had a lot of lookers and generated many comments during the day

At the end of the day Friday she was moved into the shop and placed just inside the front door

My hope is some of the kids who visit the Farley Boat Works will be incited into signing up for one of Farley Boat Works' Youth Boat Building Camps

sw

steve

Sorry for the extended hiatus butt life altered my course and boatbuilding went on the back burner. The chuck wagon team gets to cook for the rangers and volunteers during Old Lincoln/Billy The Kid Days in Lincoln, NM each year with preparation, cooking and cleanup taking quite a while like over a week... Add in a few other bumps in the road and it ends up being over 2 weeks

Got back to work last week gathering up the pieces i still have for boat #2 and started building a stand up paddle for kids

Using the same 1.25" closet pole that I used for the double paddle I cut a palm width piece off the end for a handle

Used the 1/4 round over router bit to dress the ends of the handle and the same method of attaching the blade to the other end of the pole that I used for the double paddle for boat #1

A 1.25" hole saw makes a really nice notch in the end of the pole for mounting the handle

It takes 2 bites to complete the notch

A bit of sanding and ...

Screwed glued and calked the handle will clean up well

The youth stand up paddle ended up being 67.5" long

The glue and calking get to rest for a day or so before the paddle will be ready for final sanding and finishing

Next up will be to re-establish the centerlines on the transoms and bulkheads

Be back in a couple minutes

sw

steve

I'm back...

The limit on pics keeps the posts a bit shorter

Back in the beginning when I salvaged the sides I ended up loosing most of the marks and lines that helped locate screw holes and bulkheads so it was time to re-establish them

As I told you back then Jim Michalak's instructions for his plans say MARK CENTER LINES BOLDLY and that's what i did this time

The transoms and bulkheads got BOLD CENTER LINES

The side panels got new counter sunk screw holes and bulkhead locations re-established

While I had a pencil in my hand I felt labeling the side panels would make assembly easier

With all the screw holes and assembly marks re-established it was time for dry fitting

The pieces went together well and the center lines all lined up

The joints all fit to within a chigger whisker of exact

The next step will be to un-screw and re-screw with glue

This boat will be finished using PL-Premium 3x instead of the Tite-Bond lll used n boat #1

And I'll need to get a couple 8' 1x4's and rip new wales & chines before going much farther

The original wales & chines were sort of saved when I took them off the side panels butt they will only be suitable as smaller parts in future projects ;-)

Hopefully the side panels bulkheads and transoms will get glued & screwed this week

'till next time

sw

steve

Wow what a turn of events!!!

Harvey is bearing down on Port Aransas with a vengeance and like Santa Anna at the Alamo He will show no quarter

The finished boat has been placed on saw horses on display with the museum's new flats skiff

Hopefully the predicted 6'-12' tidal surge is in error or both boats will find themselves floating around in the building IF the building survives the blow

I'll hopefully get back down there in 2 weeks to survey the situation

Untill then i guess I'll get to work on #2 for a while

More to come as time allows

sw

steve

Well done, Dir. I feel the inkling of inspiration.

Jim L.

Thanks Jim

Let us know if/when you pull the trigger

It doesn't hurt

sw

steve

Will do.