Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Mini mouseboat(s) winter build

Default Re: Mini mouseboat(s) winter build

WELL...

The predicted BLOW materialized butt the water level was only recorded as being 3' in the Police Dept directly behind the Boat Shop

And I got word that the Boat Shop along w/ the boats inside(Mini Mouse incl) survived though some of the storage buildings and other museum facilities did take quite a hit

I have spent the last week getting my tractor serviced and trailers(yes I pull 2 at a time) ready to head for Port Aransas to aid in clean up

I am aways amazed that it now takes me 3x more time to do stuff than it used2did...

Somewhere I read a new word EXHAUSTIPATED which frequently describes what I feel at times like this

EXHAUSTIPATED = too tired to give a $#1+ ;-)

AND that'z what I experience way more quicker than I used2did

Whenever the truck gets outa JAIL (2 new injectors suggest bail promises to be horrendous this time) I'll be hooking up to head south

The latest word is that there is water(2 min boil orders for drinking) flowing in the pipes and electjuicity is beginning to run thru the wires down there

I'll post back up when I have more to share

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    WELL...

The predicted BLOW materialized butt the water level was only recorded as being 3' in the Police Dept directly behind the Boat Shop

And I got word that the Boat Shop along w/ the boats inside(Mini Mouse incl) survived though some of the storage buildings and other museum facilities did take quite a hit

I have spent the last week getting my tractor serviced and trailers(yes I pull 2 at a time) ready to head for Port Aransas to aid in clean up

I am aways amazed that it now takes me 3x more time to do stuff than it used2did...

Somewhere I read a new word EXHAUSTIPATED which frequently describes what I feel at times like this

EXHAUSTIPATED = too tired to give a $#1+ ;-)

AND that'z what I experience way more quicker than I used2did

Whenever the truck gets outa JAIL (2 new injectors suggest bail promises to be horrendous this time) I'll be hooking up to head south

The latest word is that there is water(2 min boil orders for drinking) flowing in the pipes and electjuicity is beginning to run thru the wires down there

I'll post back up when I have more to share

sw
    Happy you're well. I send all my love for you to take with you down there, where they need it most.
    Thanks for going.

Peace,
    Robert

great thread. just finished reading the whole adventure. wow!-you sure don't sound tired to me, indeed quite active. love the little boat and enjoyed the process whle learning also. hope it is not too bad in pa. my brother lives in rockport and although he lost a lot trees, his house was ok. but a lot of damage in town. good luck down there. now we are all wishing the best for the IRMA folks.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Happy you're well. I send all my love for you to take with you down there, where they need it most.
    Thanks for going.

Peace,
    Robert
    You're welcome Robert

Quote Originally Posted by MADOC1 View Post
    great thread. just finished reading the whole adventure. wow!-you sure don't sound tired to me, indeed quite active. love the little boat and enjoyed the process whle learning also. hope it is not too bad in pa. my brother lives in rockport and although he lost a lot trees, his house was ok. but a lot of damage in town. good luck down there. now we are all wishing the best for the IRMA folks.

jim
    Thanks Jim it has been quite an adventure so far and it aint over yet

I still have the 2nd one to finish before the Port Aransas Wooden Boat Festival in October

I still need to do some major repairs to the dory floor and refinish all her wood and I have just taken possession of a Michalak Toto that kneads some kneading (or is she about to take possession of me )

Anything(just about) to keep this retyred old man from crawling up in the LazyBoy in front of the boob tube and fading away

Butt as Jimmy Buffett would say LIFE IS GOOD ON OUR BOAT

sw

steve

I'm back now and BOY HOWDY WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!!!

When I left out last week I wasn't quite prepared for what I was to see or become involved in

We have a news media that has been trying to tell/show us what kind of FURY is packed in a cat 4 hurricane butt they fall way short

As I already told you Mouseboat #1 was taken to Farley Boat Works in Port Aransas for display and that'z where she was when Harvey came to call

You can't imagine the surprise of the first folks on the scene after Harvey's little blow

There was a thick layer of SLICK MUCK on the floor butt Mouseboat #1 was right where they left her

The motors on the power equipment got a major salt water soaking and will not likely ever run again :-(

If you have a few minutes you can goto:

https://portaransasmuseum.org/hurricane-recovery/

And see/read more about what I was confronted with at the museum and Farley Boat Works

Frank the Boat Works' manager had a sea of seagrass in his back yard similar to what I saw all around town

Which added up to 2 piles higher than my F-350 4x4

Viewing the devastation was quite emotional to say the least

Every street I drove down had piles that tall on both sides

SO MANY LIVES DEVASTATED and piled up at the curb... :-(

The Army was there handing out water ice & M R E's

The Salvation Army was passing out water & hot meals

An individual set up a kitchen camp and was feeding everyone who showed up FREE

There were several other individuals & groups passing out free food water clothing and cleaning supplies all around Port Aransas

EXHAUSTIPATED both physically and mentally I arrived home Wednesday evening after doing what I could for 5 days

When I get my ship 2gevver I will get back to work here at home & up at the barn on Mouseboat #2

More later

sw

steve

FINALLY...

Life finally cut me some slack and is giving me some time to resume work on boat #2

Mother Nature was kind and provided me with a nice cool damp day to work in the barn

Once cleared of farfelonous that had accumulated on the building table it was time to UN-SCREW, GLUE & RE-SCREW the side panels to the
    bulkheads & transoms

Assembled were a tube of PL-Premium 3x in a calking gun, nitrile gloves, an acid brush, screws and the driver w/ a fresh charged battery

You will notice a used sanding disc that has been folded in 1/2 to keep it from skidding about on the foam work surface as I use the acid brush to pick up the glue that oozes out of the tip even after I twisted the plunger rod and pulled it back a bit ;-)

After un-screwing the dry assembly it was time to glue the panels to the transoms & bulkheads one at a time

First both ends of a transom, then a bulkhead, the other bulkhead and last the other transom

This was done in this order in hopes of keeping the assembly as symetrical as possible and it worked quite well(this time)

All the CENTERLINES lined up so that'z how I left it

Upon final inspection it was evident that the warnings I had read are true

PL-Premium expands as it cures

It expands in the joints

It expands on flat surfaces

Something is telling me there is going to be some scraping with a sharp edged scraper in my future

Today Mother Nature has my hands bound with rain

Since the tabe saw gets used in the open back door of the barn to allow the saw dust to waft out over the back 40 AND since i woud have to transport any materials purchased today on top of the Jeep in the rain further work will be delayed

Until the rain stops...

Hasta for now

sw

steve

YEA!!! dry weather has returned...

It's not that I don't enjoy a nice shower or three butt I like using the table saw in the back doorway so the breeze can blow the sawdust across the back 40 as I create it instead of me having to sweep or blow it out after it gets all over everything else in the barn

In the last post/pics you will see the already drilled and countersunk screw holes that are the remnants of my original screwups early in this thread when THE ORDER OF THINGS was mixed up in my mind and parts had to be cut apart so the side panels could be salvaged

New clear treated 1x6's were rendered into 1x1's for the new chines & wales

It is kinda funny that the clear treated 1x6's were cheaper than the un-treated 1x6's that are plagued w/ loose knots :-O

The first order of business was to mark the position of the parts while they were still dry assembled and the assembly was still true down the centerlines because they make it easier to find the screw holes that are hidden under a layer of PL-Premium

Just line up the marks on the wale w/ the marks on the plywood edge while replacing the screws

Since this glue oozes and keeps oozing as it cures the chines got fastened and left to finish curing for 24+ hours

When it was fully cured the PL-Premium scraped nicely where it had oozed out of the joints

As mentioned before this glue keeps on oozing even after it's been scraped several times

The chines and wales are now glued n screwed and the centerlines still line up

I know you are getting tired of seeing me check the centerlines butt I've already cut these parts apart once and don't want to have to do it again

The next chore will be to cut the ends of the wales n chines flush with the transoms so the assembly can be squared

The assembly needs to be secured square for installing the bottom because once it is glued n screwed in place that's the way it will be forever...

Remember these boats are being built for youth activities and having a square/true hull will aid them when they are learning to paddle a reasonably straight line

Yesterday Farley Boat Works announced the Port Aransas Wooden Boat Festival is being postponed until spring so the town can have a chance to recover enough to accommodate the visitors and participants AND I will have more time to finish this build in a more relaxed manner ;-)

Port Aransas is still hurting deeply and it will take much more work for the town to be up to a FESTIVAL

More later as time allows

sw

steve

Looks like you're having fun. Good on ya! Gavin's designs have inspired a lot of small boat enthusiasts.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Thanks, David

I sure am...

Gavin's designs make building youth activity boats reasonably inexpensive as well as being fun ;-)

sw

steve

WOW, 2 days in a row

Great weather for working in the barn

Nice cool breeze blowing straight thru, front to back

Time to start fairing the side panels and chines to make ready for bottom attachment

Sharpened the plane iron and began making curls

Lotsa curls blowing thru the barn

Fairing the transoms and bulkheads to the side panels n chines

The old red level's bubbles are poop butt the aluminum I-beam is still straight n true to tell me if I've done a very well job

No more than a chigger's whisker wonky allowed

The transoms and bulkheads should line up also

Same chigger's whisker tollerance is the goal

That'z 6 pics...

Be right back

sw

steve

A good job of fairing before attaching the bottom doesn't guarantee no leaks butt it makes them less likely

90 from side to chine is per plans

Once satisfied with the fairness and all the pushing n planing is dunn it'z time to check for symmetry

You remember the MARK CENTERLINES BOLDLY instructions all thru my work, as suggested by Jim Michalak in instructions for building his plans

A screw is centered on the bow transom

And the little slit in the tip of the tape measure is hooked onto it

By measuring to each aft corner sameness indicates symmetry

2297mm

by 2299mm

That'z pretty darn close in my book

This is similar to measuring diagonally from the corner of the bow transom to the opposite corner of the stern transom in both directions, which was also dunn and produced equal results :-)

Next work day will be to begin attaching the bottom

Untill then

Hasta

sw

steve

YESTERDAY was the 3rd day in a row of working on the little girl ;-)

AND yesterday this machine chose to knot work properly

SO downloading yesterday's pics was knot an option ;-(

TODAY the machine has decided to cooperate so I can now share the progress ;-)

Stashed at the back of saved pieces was the center of the sheet of plywood the side panels were taken from

Gavin did a fabulous job of designing these little boats so when cut from common materials there will be VERY LITTLE WASTE

This next step CUTTING THE BOTTOM OUT is really quite simple now

MARK CENTERLINE BOLDLY ON BOTH SIDES of the sheet

Block both ends of the sheet up and rest the assembly on it with CENTERLINES LINED UP

With the bow transom to one end clamp the chines to the sheet

If you have followed Gavin's instructions fairly closely you will have a chigger's whisker of overage/spare plywood on both sides

Now I use a Sharpie to mark these saw lines a bit outside the edge of the chines by holding said Sharpie straight up

Using the Sharpie makes the lines easier for these old eyes to see

Once marked the assembly is removed for cutting where if done carefully can be done where the line is just kissed by the bade

This is where some folks mistakenly break up and trash the "scraps" which Gavin planned to use for the skeg

Keep those scraps intact and proceed

That'z 6, be right back

sw

steve

See ?

That didn't take long

Did it ?

This marking gauge was created to mark about 1/4" proud of the surface it is following

And when following the exterior of the side panel it marks the approximate location of the inside edge

Knowing where the inside edge of the plywood panel is makes it easier to mark screw locations around the perimeter of the bottom

It is also important to locate the center of the bulkheads for screws as the bottom is being attached

You can see the bulkhead center marked along with the inner edge of the side panel and hash mark for screw spacing which are made @ 5" intervals around the entire perimeter of the bottom

At the end of the day the bottom was weighted & clamped in place to rest and begin conforming to it's new shape

I hope it slept well last night and when it wakes it is eager to become part of this little boat

Time now to secure the magic elixir for the WHISHKEE PLANK CELEBRATION ;-)

For this event I think HOME MADE APPLE PIE will fill the bill

For those of you who aren't familiar with it it'z a concoction of apple juice, brown sugar, everclear, dark rum and secret spices cooked into a beverage that smells and tastes just like HOME MADE APPLE PIE fresh from grandma's oven while providing a nice little kick in the process...

Once the WHISHKEE PLANK (in this case the bottom) is in place the celebration shall begin

'Till then

sw

steve

Yesterday when I got back to the barn the bottom had decided to conform well enough to be glued n screwed in place

It was clamped with the centerlines all in agreement and the rear raised to begin gluing

All the screw locations had been marked and with all tools n fasteners handy I tightened up the laces on my running shoes

The instructions on the tube said I had 30 - 40 minutes of working time before the glue began to set

As soon as the glue was spread it was time to RUN

And RUN I did

Once glued n screwed it was time to allow the glue to cure overnight

The glue ooze was quite firm when I got back today so a calebration was in order

The chilled apple pie was poured and went down nicely

When I left yesterday there were several screws that were left proud and in need of reseating

I like them seated just below the surface where a fingernail will catch on the edge of the wood not the screw

Once all the screws were reseated and hand torqued it was time to trim the ooze prior to flush cutting the overhang

First router trim was done with a straight cut bit having a bearing rolling against the chine

And since there are more pics for tonight's post I'll have to take a short break

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 10-13-2017 at 10:36 PM.

steve

After the ooze was trimmed and the first pass with the router was completed it was clear that the entire perimeter of the bottom needed sanding

A pneumatic DA sander with 80 grit was called into play and did a real well job of erasing the last bit of overhang prior to routing the 1/4 roundover

At the right side of this next pic you can see a chigger's whisker of ooze and overhang left

On the left side of the pic the sander had done it's duty well

After sanding the perimeter a 1/4 roundover bit finished the edge/chine ready for sanding calking and final sanding prior to beginning the finishing process

The next planned step is to sand the entire outside of the hull

On the 1st boat in this project I coated the entire boat inside & out with Tite-Bond lll that had been diluted slightly with hopes that it would help retard/reduce checking of the cheap plywood being used and I think I will do it to this one too

SO the sanding begins

And after the Tite-Bond cures the sanding will be repeated

I'll be back

Hasta

sw

steve

As I said before this is my first time working with polyurethane glue and it has taught me there is more to it than just squeezing the stuff out of a tube to glue parts together

The stuff expands(I was warned) and it keeps on expanding which I wasn't completely prepared for

I thought I had waited long enough and wiped all the ooze away when I left the barn

WRONG!!!

When I got back the next day there was MORE ooze and all I could think of was to customize a scraper and get after it

The ooze did scrape rather easily since it hadn't been under pressure as it cured

And as I scraped around the bottom i found a serious OOPS

When spreading the glue I obviously didn't do a very well job and created some issues that needed attention

The joint between the bottomand the chine was glued butt there was an area where the edge of the bottom did not look like i wanted it to

Upon careful inspection I decided it wouldn't leak but would allow intrusion if not filled

So fill I did

I built tape dams, filled the voids(incl voids in the plies) and let gravity do it's job

With this cool spell the glue took 2 days to cure enough to file off butt the SHINTO RASP from DUCKWORKS did a real well job

Glazing/calking should fill any other irregularities prior to priming & painting

And thatz where I left her this afternoon

I'm off to Port Aransas again this week to pull some boats in the OLD TOWN FESTIVAL PARADE so the little girl can rest while the glues finish curing

There are also a couple screws that will need some more attention

When I get back next week I'll see what's needed and then figg'r how to go about it

Hasta, for now

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 10-23-2017 at 11:56 AM.

steve

The FESTIVAL was a great success!

Huge turn out for participants, the street was well lined w/ folks waiting to see the "floats" and get their share of CANDY

The MouseBoat was perched high atop the gooseneck on the trailer w/ 3 other farley boats on the bed and an 18' Farley skiff that survived Harvey hooked on to the back of the big trailer(REEEEEAL long)

After the parade Camp David provided free sack lunches of pulled pork sammitches, a bag of cheeeps & a bottle of water

Back to the salt mines later this week

Hasta

sw

steve

I'm baaaack...

As I wander round and back n forth to Port A I find myself pondering all sorts of issues and these 400+ mile, each way, trips sure give me a lot of pondering time

Way back at the first of this thread you may rememberize I SCREWED UP and got things out of order

The screw up had several contributing factors one of which was the order I employed when building 14' flat bottomed canoes/pirogues over 20 years ago but was still in my remembery

The side panels were fully assembled flat w/ the chines, wales and butt straps ALL glued and fastened prior to bending them around the molds and attaching them to the stems

When I had issues with this build and broke parts(chines & wales) I re-read the instructions which told me where the problem was and it only took some extra labor to cut the affected parts apart and do it over in the correct order

The canoe/pirogue build utilized epoxy and STAPLES to hold the parts in place until the pox cured

Once the pox cured and the assemblies were considered sound they were bent around the molds and turned 3-D

Since this thread is about testing optional building methods and materials I have been pondering that build and the STAPLES

A couple years ago I chanced to run into the grandpaw of the 2 boys who built a canoe/pirogue and he said the boat is still sound and the boy's boys now use it on their family stock ponds

The waters the little boat plied was fresh so the staple's not being galvanized or stainless hadn't resulted in failure

Now imagine the stirring of rememberies when CraigsList had a p-new-matic stapler advertised for chump change

Contacting some sellers through that medium is at times challenging to say the least and ends up taking too much time & effort to be any fun so the local flea markets became hunting grounds for a similar tool

And one was found, a Dewalt as new in the original case w/ the paperwork for just $30 ;-)

Once back to the house a quick perusal on the interweb rendered a source for stainless staples at a fairly reasonable price (only about .75/staple after the shipping was added)

Up at the barn some of the same materials being used in the Mini MouseBoat builds was used for testing w/ the 1st round using 1/4" BCX-YP plywood, treated 1x and Tight Bond lll held together w/ SS stapes while the glue cures

2 samples were made

And

With the staples @ aprox 1.5" spacing

The weather having finally turned to providing fall temps has caused me to allow the glue to cure a coupla days before testing the samples

Stay tuned for the test results

sw

steve

After 3 days I made it back to the barn to test the glued & stapled pieces which should have been enough time for a full cure of the Tight Bond lll

Clamped the piece of 3/4" pine in a vise

Then pulled the 1/4" plywood until something gave way

2 plies(one parallel ply and the core) came off and one(parallel ply) remained on the pine

With the other test pieces clamped

Same test pull until something gives

Only a tiny piece of the plywood failed

Same glue

Same staples and spacing

The only variable is the grain orientation of the exterior plies

SO w/ 50/50 results I'm guessing the TB lll wouldn't be a wise choice for construction one needs to be abe to depend on the results

YES I know this wasn't all that scientific and it was a small test group butt it was a start

What would you think/suggest concerning future builds ?

sw

steve

No pics this morning just a comment or 2

Thought some of you who visit this thread might weigh in on the testing exercise

I call it an exercise because it quite simply reiterates what many(most all seasoned builders) already knew butt were tired of repeating

Epoxy is the goto bonding agent for the majority of joinery unless screws are also employed

For those of us who wish to push envelopes and work with lesser quality materials using lesser quality bonding agents SCREWS are in order

I'm confident those 2 tests would have both destroyed the wood had epoxy been used

Now back to the advertised project

Next up are the seat cleats bottom skids keel and skeg

Hasta

sw

steve

Cutting and fitting this week

The seat cleats were cut several times before the fit was suitable

The cleats needed to be curved a bit so wonky stock was employed and slits were cut in the back side so they could be massaged into the right form

Screws glue and clamps were used

Western red cedar was cut 5/8" thick x 2-1/2" wide for the seat slats and were cut to fit

The ends of the slats are knot square so each one was traced directly above it's intended location along the inside of the upper edge of the side panel in hopes that they will fit

And fit they did

You can see in the pic where duplicate marks were made for where the position tracing operation took place above the cleats

The 4" gap between the aft bulkhead and the seat worked out well on the first boat so it was duplicated on this little girl

Seat cleats done and it was time to flip her over for locating the shoe and skids for bottom protection which aren't in Gavin's plans

Again since these boats will be used by kids and launched from concrete ramps IMHO it is wise to add some bottom protection

Straight edges and soft lead pencil are important for this process

Once the locations were traced the strips were cut to length and the tail of the shoe was split for holding the skeg it was time to set up the router table outside where the wind could whisp the cuttings away instead of flingin them all around the inside of the barn

Clamped a piece of 3/4" plywood to a coupla sawhorses for a platform and clamped the table to it

Makes a nice height for this process

Note this router & table is one of the el cheapo units acquired at a local flea market for $20 WITH a 1/4 round over bit

You will see the bearing(not a bushing) on the cutter which is my preferred set up

The bearing provides a uniform(relatively) depth of cut without the hassle of setting up a fence

Edges were rounded strips cut to length and the tail of the shoe was split to hold the skeg

All dry fitted with screw holes established and checked for alignment

Time for a cup

You can all count...

That'z 6 pics

Be right back

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 11-19-2017 at 09:07 AM.

steve

That wazn't too long waz it?

The more I do this the better/easier it gets... DUH! ;-O

Drilling screw holes is way more easier when the parts being drilled are longer than they may eventually be

Can't tell you how many parts have been split/ruint when the screw holes were going right next to the ends

A BTW is in order here... this particular method of drilling screw holes in oversized parts requires a bit of pre-planning

For parts that are eventually going to end up right at 8' long I keep some 10' material on hand and sew on...

Now that all the parts have been screwed down I took time to re-trace their locations w/ a soft lead pencil making it easier to position them once the glue is spread ;-)

Time to RE-EMPHASIZE my love for mounting the skeg between 2 strips

Kids will be hard on skegs knot realizing their importance in the overall scheme of paddling and therefore knead help

The split in the tail of the shoe on my boats runs right up to the deepest part of the belly of the boat(when practical) where the skeg begins

IMHO the bottom skeg(for boats like these) should be in line/level with/parallel to the waterline or at least close

With the wales of the boat set level on the table the bottom edge of the skeg should be level as well

A quick reminder here is that the cut-offs between the side panels and the bottom will have the right curve to fit the curve of the bottom

DON'T THROW ANY CUT-OFFS AWAY UNTIL THE BOAT IS FINISHED AND HAS BEEN LAUNCHED ;-)

2 cut-offs sammiched/glued/nailed together make the 1/2" thick skeg specified in the instructions ;-)

One more step before actually gluing and screwing the shoe and skids in place is to pre set the additional clamping method needed to insure contact between the screws into the bulkheads

Lay the clamp assembly down where it will be handy

GLUING SCREWING & CLAMPING are next

More when that gets dunn

Hasta

sw

steve

Yesterday was a good day for gluing & screwing

The shoe and skids got attached and when the gluing n screwing was done there were some fine gaps between them and the bottom SO...

A bit of weight was strategically positioned ;-)

When I got back to the barn this afternoon after walking the local flea market the weights were removed and there was ooze :-)

Before I left yesterday I went ahead and laminated the 2 skeg 1/2's

Used TB lll and plastic nails for this

Too bad the nails were 1/4" too long

And those plastic heads still wont set to my likin

Once sanded the surface is fairly smooth

And just needs to be trimmed so trim I did

Don't it look nice?

With the skeg trued and glued it got weighted down cross nailed thru the shoe and left to cure

And that'z where things got left today

'till next time

Hasta

sw

steve

This afternoon all the clamps were removed and the skeg is soundly attached to the hull

Upon close inspection there was substantial OOZE indicating all the voids were filled and the bond is good(I think)

The ooze needed to be cleaned up/trimmed and with a sharpened utility knife and a sharpened scraper the job went quite well

Lotsa trimmings

After trimming it was time to begin caulking the screw heads and some more of the plywood flaws

Good ole exterior latex caulk is being used because it is paintable & compatable with the paint being used

You can see the skeg got some more shaping today

Wont likely get back to the barn until Saturday or later

Family/holiday gatherings come first

'till next time

Hasta

sw

steve