Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini mouseboat(s) winter build

Default Mini mouseboat(s) winter build

I can't seem to get enuff of LITTLE BOATS and a need has popped up on my horizon for at least a couple small boats that would be suitable for YOUNG, SMALLER, INEXPERIENCED PADDLERS/ROWERS who would just like to sample the game. A small fleet of MINI MOUSEBOATS was displayed @ this fall's PlyWooden Boat Festival in Port Aransas and the tales being told by both the kids & their moms were quite impressive. Simple/easy/inexpensive to build and provide great experiences for the kids. The Festival has a free livery for folks to try their hands at rowing/paddling each year butt the boats proved to be overwhelming for the smaller Festival attendees. The boats that were provided swallowed the kids & the oars/paddles available were too large & heavy for their little hands to manage with any possible success. Hence THE NEED...

My good friend & antagonizer Frank Coletta from Farley Boat Works turned me onto the book Ultrasimple Boatbuilding by Gavin Atkins which became my source of design information and plans for the MINI MOUSEBOAT, the flat bottomed version of the infamous MOUSEBOAT. The flat bottomed MINI will be quite enuff to satisfy THE NEED and will be a simpler/cheaper build for this chronologically advanced curmudgeon.

3 sheets of "el-cheapo" 1/4" BCX-YP plywood and a bit of common big box store dimensioned lumber appears to be what I would need to start with to build 2 MINI MOUSEBOATS. Along with some glue, a few screws & some paint and I should be set to begin.

My work space has taken quite a hit over the last few months and I haven't used my 4'x16' building table in over 10 years, not counting the short time it was loaned out to a wannabe boatbuilding former friend who abused it. Shop clean out and table rebuild time. The space was cleared and the table was brought in from on top of the shipping container where it has lived for several years. In checking the table I found the deck had become WONKY and not suitable for anything but storage. Off came the deck and the basic frame was leveled, squared & re-fastened.

In this pic of the table you can see a 2x2 lip around the outside of the base frame. More on it later.

With a 4'x16' flat, square & level deck, building 2 MINI MOUSEBOATS at the same time should be possible.

With the center line & 2' squares re-marked i was ready to begin.

the next installment is making sawdust.

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Default Re: Mini mouseboat(s) winter build

I recently abandoned my plan to use some ply I had to make a rowboat, because it was just too icky. The kids also declined to use it for another pirogue, so I decided to make some dumb little pond boats.

I got lots of other irons in the fire, but I'll put some pics up when it really happens. With mine we're aiming for 7 or 8 foot pond boats, for these little abandoned quarry ponds we like to fish.

Danged if I don't just love little boats, too!

I love to see this kind of stuff, if only cause I then feel less lonely.

Peace,
    Robert

SAWDUST TIME

Got a 3/4" sheet of insulation foam out as a base for cutting on the table w/ little/no damage to the table itself. The door skin material will make the templates.

Time to make marks.

Someone took off with my bendy batten so I cut a new piece of WRC for the job. Once the points were defined and LTN's(little tiny nails) were driven thru them into the deck it was time to bend the batten for marking the curve of the bottom.

This is where those 2x2 lips on the building table come in handy. They make using clamps on edges & ends possible where driving LTN's at those points is difficult at best.

Who knew that the Stanley & Plumb Tool Companies made DUCKS for weighting curved battens down on the work surface? Once marked it was time to make sawdust fly. Along comes the little 4-1/2" Rockwell w/ the blade on the left side making it way mow easier for this old man to see what/where he's cutting.

A MINI MOUSEBOAT side panel template is born.

Though this pic is from another build it shows what using the foam base does while cutting on a flat surface keeping the work surface from being abused.

Since T-Day weekend festivities are upon me I'll have to close the barn doors for a few days. 'Till next time.

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 03:09 PM.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I recently abandoned my plan to use some ply I had to make a rowboat, because it was just too icky. The kids also declined to use it for another pirogue, so I decided to make some dumb little pond boats.

I got lots of other irons in the fire, but I'll put some pics up when it really happens. With mine we're aiming for 7 or 8 foot pond boats, for these little abandoned quarry ponds we like to fish.

Danged if I don't just love little boats, too!

I love to see this kind of stuff, if only cause I then feel less lonely.

Peace,
    Robert

hey Rob, get Gavin Atkins book

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/media/books/usbb/index.htm

from DUCKWORKS or your local book seller

the plans are in it for several possible solutions to your quest

all for just the price of the book!!!

btw, it is great reading too

sw

steve

SW,
    Thanks. I am actually familiar with his work. I found some pictures of his Light Trow a guy built, them the rabbit hole lead me right to his site. Neat stuff.
    You know, I even built a model of his Light Trow from his little print out a model page thing. Neat little boat, I think.

I am going to reproduce some tried models, though for our pond boats. Some little sampan/punt/pram type boats. We had one before, that was stashed, but someone took it. Dang!
    Oh, and Tiny wants a skiff, so maybe a Very Tiny Skiff.

Peace,
    Robert

I ate too much turkey n dressin! And in a sad attempt to walk some of it off I made a trip to Lowes and glad I did. Stumbled over a pallet of 1/4" BCX-YP that had some really good pieces. Only had to go thru the whole D*%#& stack to find 7 pieces that didn't have huge pock marks/knot holes in either side. Just lucky i guess... Managed to load 'em on top of the Jeep and got to the barn before it started raining.

Today the rain cleared and off to the barn I went for an afternoon of making sawdust. Got side panels marked and cut from 2 sheets, giving me 4 panels/2 sets for 2 boats. While I was at it I made a batch of those PVC clamps folks have been touting and they do come in handy for holding the template while tracing around it.

A sharpie made marks that were way easier on this old man's feeble eyes and the cutting went well.

Once cut the panels were clamped & screwed together for fairing. Fairing all 4 was just about as easy and quick as doing one.

Using a square made it easy to get all 4 panels equal.

It was easy to see the whoop-d-doos when a WRC batten was clamped to the edges.

Plan "A" at this time was to get the edges within a chigger's whisker of the batten.

By this time my glasses had a lot of sawdust on them and I see in this pic that there is at least one area that needs re-lickin'.

Going back the next day usually allows me to see areas that need more attention before separating parts I'm working on. Sure is nice being retired and having that luxury.

Until next time

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 03:16 PM.

steve

I have some ALMOST clear WRC left over from my Portuguese Dinghy build and decided to try it out for framing, chines & wales on the MINI MOUSEBOAT. The stock is 2x3 rails from the wooden fencing industry and looked pretty good(it worked well for the Dinghy). So I cut a couple up.

It was easy ripping with my portable 10" saw. That stuff cuts like butter!

I got 4 pieces of 3/4" x 1-1/8" that got cut down to 3/'4" x 1" for the wales and 4 pieces that got the corner cut off one side for the chines. My thinking on cutting the corners off is so water wont collect on top of them. And the more I think about it I may do the same for all the bottom horizontal pieces.

Next step was to mark the location of the edges of the chine, the limit of the full thickness and the line for screws(closest to the edge). Once that was done the screw ine got marked off in 6" increments and those points were predrilled for screw placement.

A LTK (little tiny knot) was discovered in the chine during the installation process and the rest of the afternoon was spent fixin the foul up.

Pictures of the side panel with the chine & wale installed in the next installment IF the fix works.

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 03:19 PM.

steve

The chine is in place.

I drooled some glue on the crack, clamped it into submission and spit a couple non metalic nails on each side of the crack to help hold the chine in place while the glue set. After 2 days of curing the clamps were removed and after a coupla swipes of the sanding block I pronounced the problem sound enuff for me to continue.

With that speed bump in my wake it was time to fasten the wale & chine to the other side which went without that ominous cracking sound. Again I waited a couple days before heading back up to the barn to check on my work. With the glue cured it was time to compare the 2 sides for symetry.

Using the PVC clamps to hold the side panels together for checking. The square was slid along the entire length of the chine and there was less than a chigger's whisker of light under it anywhere.

With an OZ GOOSE build looming on the horizon it is reassuring to see 2 parts built that are so close to each other. The next chore will to build 2 more the same size/shape for MINI MOUSEBOAT #2. If i can manage creating 4 parts alike I feel confident the GOOSE build will be much easier.

The weather clowns are threatening temps below 20F so this old man will cover the Lazy-Boy for a coupla days. I'll be back at the barn on Saturday if their predictions are even close to correct.

Check back in a few days to see how side panels #3 & #4 turn out.

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 03:22 PM.

steve

Sunday turned out beautiful and warm enuff to work. The 2 side panels looked good and before removing the screws I decided to spit some of the non-metaic sprigs between each screw point. The gun wasn't working to my likin' and was leaving the heads proud.

Only about 1/10 would pull down which didn't set well in my mind.

While pondering the situation I pulled the screws, wet the holes and filled them with glue.

While waiting for the glue to dry I waled & chined the side panels for boat #2

That'z 6 pics. I'll be right back

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 03:26 PM.

steve

I'm back. It was time to either fix the sprig spitter or throw it away. FIX IT. Took the head apart and thoroughly cleaned it. No better. The next step was apply some southern engineering to the relationship between the nose/safety and the length of the hammer/plunger. Quite by accident the nose/safety of the gun fell against a rapidly rotating fine grit wheel of the bench grinder. The results were/are encouraging. Now the gun drives 9/10 properly and the 10th one is pretty darn close to right.

The glue I filled the holes with must've found some voids in the plywood because it penetrated way deeper than expected. Some of it went away completely some just sunk in a bit and some of it just bubbled.

It is clear there will be some re-visiting of this issue on down the road.

Today with the glue set well enuff to move the panels it was time to measure the 4 panels against each other. When clamped together the square revealed a discrepancy of just over the thickness of a dime.

Which wasn't close enuff. Howsumever with just a few licks with a plane they were within reasonable tolerances for a pair of MINI MOUSEBOATS.

Time for this old man to make a pilgrimage to PORT ARANSAS/FARLEY BOAT WORKS for a bit of volunteer work while the glue has time to cure.

If the weather cooperates I'll be back next week.

'till next time...

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 03:30 PM.

steve

Brad Pease has made a few different models for his grandchildren. Here's one.

And a double-ended double paddle unit.

THOSE ARE COOL.

LUCKY KIDS

sw

steve

Hey, I'm back.

The holidays are behind us and the weather finally broke.

The work table became a catch all dumping ground for all the residuals from Christmas and the plunder from making a few flea markets and the boat sides were on the bottom of the pile.

After an hour of "organizing" (pushin stuff outa the way) I made room to get back to work on the sides.

Removed the last of the screws from the wales n chines and went to work fillin' them w/ TB lll.

This time I left plenty glue in the holes, I hope.

And those pesky little air bubbles followed me all the way down each side.

So I got a toothpic and popp'd 'em all, I think/hope.

When I left the barn this evening there were no bubbles visible and all the glue was standing proud.

We'll see, when I get back up there, if I managed to resolve the issue.

Next step will be to cut the transoms, bulkheads and enough strips to frame them out.

'till next time.

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 03:37 PM.

steve

Gave the glue a coupla days to cure since the weather was cool & damp

Though a couple holes absorbed most of the glue I put in them, most of them were full and ready to be leveled/filed down

The glue was still semi-soft and responded well to a cabbage file blade that I removed from the frame

Filing with no frame on the blade allowed me to feel, with my fingers, the glue as it leveled with the surface of the plywood

The glue did clog the file and needed to be cleaned a coupla times

Fortunately this will not be a yacht finish and the minor scratches left by the file will be inconsequential

If the weather holds I'll be able to get some more work done this weekend

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 03:40 PM.

steve

The weather has knot been kind to this old man.

Cold, wet & windy

The damp cold gets into my bones and makes working with my hands unpleasant

When the wind is warm and comes from the south I can open both doors to the barn, use the table saw & thickness planer and shoot all the saw dust n shavings out back on the ground while leaving much less mess to clean up

When I'm thru playin' allz I gotz 2do is take the leaf blower and scatter the dust n shavings to where it can become duff over time...

Well lotsa cutting and planing has given me enough parts to assemble all the transverse parts needed to build 2 boats

2-center molds, 2-rear bulkheads, 2-fwd bulkheads, 2-bow transoms & 2-stern transoms

The upper square frame members and the lower frame members with an angled top to automatically shed any water that they might encounter have been glued & sprigg'd to the 1/4" BCX-YP pieces

The center molds are made of 3/4" YP

Here is a cross section of the bow transom

The ends of the framing pieces have been left proud to allow for the angle of attachment which will be hand fitted as the side panels bend around the center mold and the bulkheads

The ends of the transverse panels will be filled with squared YP strips glued & sprigg'd to the plywood in a way that they can be hand fitted to the inside of the side panels

Hopefully i can get the ends cut and placed in the next coupla days

More to come as it gets done

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 03:43 PM.

steve

The end pieces got cut and glued/fastened in place

Both sets of transoms, bulkheads and center molds are ready for bending the sides

The work table has been cleared

Let the fun begin

The first set of side panels were brought over and the center mold was positioned with a ratchet strap and the ends were SLOWLY being brought in when MURPHY showed up

SNAP

SNAP x2

One of the chines SNAP'D in 2 places as the side panels were being GENTLY bent which turned a fair curve to kinky

At this point I lost my sense of humor and took the parts apart before i remembered to take a picture

Now it is time for me to figure out how to recover as much as possible, if possible

Or simply make new parts

I'm leaning toward rescuing instead of replacing even though the replacement cost would be less than $25

Kind of a point of honor

Stay tuned

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 03:45 PM.

steve

This is a great thread... like so many others here. I feel like I'm learning as much as being entertained. Also, that's a pretty dory in the top of the pics. Was that a previous build?

Me too. Love lurking at these threads. Bet it's gonna be a beauty of a boat.

Nova Scotian, THANK YOU KIND SIR

the dory is one of Roger crawford's non wooden shells that was sold as a partial kit and assembled w/ fasteners that RUST and i'm in a rescue mode on her

the iron dowel pins that were used to assemble the mahogany rudder RUSTED and destroyed the beautiful wood to a point that i may be able to salvage enough to make a set of book ends

between the little MOUSEBOATS and the dory i have enough to do to keep me outa the beer joints, pool halls & the red light district...

i do hope some of the pits i fall into being brought to light will prevent others from joining me

the successes, i hope, will encourage others to get off dead center and make some saw dust

sw

steve

Bluefin2, THANKS

if they float and some kids get to flail the water the proce$$ will have been worth every penny

sw

steve

Well I'm back, this time with more pics

1st 2 cracks

Murphy visited again, while I was gone

One more crack in a chine from the 2nd set of side panels

Now I had 2 sets of side panels with a broken chine on each set

THE QOD(question of the day) is DO I CHUCK 'EM or DO I RESCUE THE SIDE PANELS and make new chines and wales?

Since I made a template of the side panel it would be easy to cut 4 new ones, take the $$ hit and go on

4 panels could be cut from one sheet of plywood for less than $20, the chines & wales could be cut from one 1x6 for about $5

Total for simple replacement would be less than $25 which wont even buy a meal @ the local Whata-Boogie for the family

On the other hand I could rescue the plywood side panels and rip some new chines & wales for less than the $5 mentioned above and would be needed with either approach

Now allz I gotz2do is rescue those 4 panels w/o allowing Murphy to get his grubby mits on them

The portable table saw I have has a thin carbide tipped blade on it that is wicked sharp that cuts almost jointer smooth :-)

Set the factory fence w/ a 1/4" plywood spacer(scrap from the sheet the panels were cut from)

And set a second fence to the thickness of the assembly

IF, I SAY IF, I AM REALLY CAREFUL I will be able to slide the assemblies between the 2 fences w/o binding and having a kickback I should be able to cut the framing pieces off the plywood side panels without lunching on a fir/cedar sandwich

As I noted above I assembled the pieces with TITE-BOND III and REDHAWK PLASTIC COATED FIBER SPRIGS(little tiny nails) so I expected the bond to be quite sound and hoped the SPRIGS would cut as easily as advertised

YEE HAAAA!!!

The 1st cut went well enough and I managed to remove the broken chine without traumatizing the plywood panel too much

The sprigs cut easily and did not tear the wood

Thatz my 6 pics/post, be back in a few minutes

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 03:52 PM.

steve

Today was a good day

The 2 chines came off easier than I was expecting

And I managed to remove the 2 wales thus rescuing the 4 side panels

After wearing out 4 sanding discs on a pea-new-matic DA sander set on NASTY I pronounce the 4 panels RESCUED

I feel my aluminium skiff w/ the long tailed GO-DEVIL kicker calling me to see how many active Great Blue Heron nests we can find and the weather clowns are promissing tomorrow will be a great day to goto the lake

I'll be back next week

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 03:54 PM.

steve

Saturday turned off quite nice for getting into the backwaters of one of the local lakes, Ray Roberts

When this pond was impounded they didn't get all the structures removed before it filled

Foundations, barns and fences are still there and it is necessary to keep a sharp eye out for them

I got back to where the top 1/2 of fence posts were sticking up above the surface

There is where I found 19 active Great Blue Heron nests in the tops of dead trees

Quite a nice day...

Sunday dawned w/ a threat of rain & stormage in the afternoon butt the wind was still outa the south which meant I could work in the barn and the sawdust woud blow out the back door onto the north 10, where it goes back into the earth in time

As the weather came in and the wind began to clock around, the new wales and chines were finished and the work space was again ready for work to begin

Time to close the doors until the next session

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 04:49 PM.

steve

By pre-assembling the chines onto the plywood, have you created a rigid structure that can't make the bends required?

I don't know the answer to that one and i have pondered it extensively

In other builds i have had success with the process though i will admit those builds were longer and they had some twist

Time to drop everything and RE-READ the book/instructions b4 going fwd

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 03-11-2017 at 09:20 PM.

steve

OOPS!!! ;-O

Slacko you are corrupt... I mean correct

My gray hair is showing

I just got thru helping a friend frame out a PDR and my remembery was locked in on it & several flat bottomed canoes/pirogues I did a few years ago where we framed the panels then bent them around the molds, all the while I'm reading the plans for building an Oz-Goose w/ similar construction methods specified

Spent the afternoon RE-READING Gavin's book and just happened onto the FULL DESCRIPTION of how to manage this stage of construction

Knot only did I screw up by adding the framing at the wrong time, I used a center mold at a dimension point butt wasn't actually called for during construction

Went to great lengths to create those stinkin' center molds too ;-(

Had one of my youth program students done this there would have been some cirrus verbal interaction in his/her future!

4 pieces of beautiful clear WRC 1x2's turned into pieces for smaller parts in some future build and 4 new pieces of 1x1 SYP cut and milled plus some time to cut n sand the mistakes off the side panels

That'z not too bad...

The next time I head for the barn I can BEGIN following written instructions ;-)

More later

sw

steve

Hey folks I'm back

I did some eyeball duplicating of the angles on the ends of the transoms & bulkheads

Took a bevel square and held it over the pictures in Gavin's book and took the angles to the compound miter saw where I made preliminary cuts on the ends of the transoms & bukheads

Guestimations eyeballed and cut

Bow transom result

Foreward bulkhead result

Rear bulkhead result

And the stern transom result

I'm thinkin these joints will only require a tiny bit of fine tuning before gluing

The side panels w/o any framing bent around the bulkheads and into the transoms nicely THIS TYME

The newly cut chines & wales were dry fit and left FOR A WHILE(over a week

Used more screws this tyme

Be back shortly

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 04:54 PM.

steve

That didn't take long

While the wales & chines were getting used to their new shapes I got to work on a project I'd been wanting to do FOR A WHILE...

In the late 1800's during the TRAIL DRIVE ERA chuck wagons followed the herds north from Texas to the railheads where the cattle caught a ride east for a date @ fine restaurants & dinner tables

The chuck wagons carried 2-piece chairs made of planks, like the ones used by the Vikings of the early saiing days

With the ranch brands on the planks the chairs were called TOMBSTONE CHAIRS since they ended up being used to mark the graves of drovers who lost their lives along the way

1-2x12x8' is cut to 45" & 51"

The planks are shaped to fit together w/o any fasteners

Most of them were shaped simply w/ just the corners knocked off

Once shaped they fit together so the cowboy could sit in a semi-reclining manner

After the edges were rounded over and the surfaces scorched I branded the tail of the seat plank w/ my small/hat brand

A the back plank got the full sized brand

"Stained" with fire and branded the assembled chair is beginning to look nice

WITCH'S BREW is a mixture of equal parts of PINE TAR, BLO & TURPS which has been applied to the chair for preservation and TAKES A WHILE to cure, maybe 2 whiles 'cause it aint cured yet...

While the WITCH'S BREW is curing it's tyme to get back to the business of this thread, THE MINI MOUSEBOAT BUILD

It was rather easy to remove one framing component at a tyme, glue & screw it to the sides in their ultimate shape

Using the TITEBOND III worked easily and the parts fit nicely

After glueing & screwing I wiped a bit of glue down edges of the plywood & the inside corners where the frame pieces & panels met

I don't know if that was necessary butt it made me feel better for doing it

The next step will be to square up the assembly and fine tune the points where the bulkheads & transoms meet the side panels butt that will have to wait

See ya next tyme

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 05:00 PM.

steve

I think it was about 3 weeks ago when i was fighting w/ my old nemisis MURPHY that Slacko, looking in from the outside, identified butt one err in my ways

I had been on the wrong trail and couldn't see the forest for the trees...

Re-reading the rules sure helped

Once the wales & chines had a chance to get used to their new shapes they decided to permanently submit...

I had assembled the transoms in a bit of haste and there were a couple joints that did knot suit me

There were discrepencies of about 2-chigg'r whiskers on opposite corners that kneaded kneading, which they got

Yee Haaa, once the joints were corrected THE PARTS FIT LIKE THEY WERE S'POSED2!!!

Now to the test for square

With a flathead screw set in the dead center of the bow transom (make a mental note of that heavy pencil mark which I will get back to shortly)

I could hook a tape measure over the top and begin checking my results ( see that pencil mark ? )

WOW!!!

LESS THAN 2 CHIGG'R WHISKERS DIFFERENCE when measuring to the corners of the stern transom

port

stbd

Even tried the tried n true method of measuring diagonally from corner > corner and got similar results

&

I can't claim credit for these results, entirely, Gavin's design expertice has a LOT to do with them

I've used up my 6 pic limit

Back in a SHORT-SHORT

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 05:07 PM.

steve

YEE HAAA she'z square(ish)

At least she'z square enuff for this old man

Once the chines n wales had a few days to get used to their new positions in life I unscrewed them one at a tyme, glued & re-screwed 'em to the side panels (permanently this tyme I hope )

A coupla more days were allowed for the glue to cure since the temps were hovering around 40 at night

After re-checking for square it was tyme to see if the scraps left over from cutting the side panels would actually be adequate for the bottom panel

With the ends of the scrap plywood bocked up the framed sides fit nicely

The scraps were just big enuff w/ only 3 chigg'r whiskers (maybe a saw kerf) of waste so I traced the bottom panel & cut it out

The bottom was encouraged with a bit of weight to take a nice rockered shape

While the bottom was getting used to it's forever shape the sides were removed from one transom & a bulkhead at a tyme, glued and re-screwed back in place

When releasing the 1st 2 joints I was pleased to see so little spring back and actually had to spread the side away from the bulkhead to get a bead of glue on the framing

REST N CURE...

With the parts rested and the glue cured it was tyme to put them together

The sides and framing were inverted on the table while the bottom was clamped to them

I buy many of my tools at garage sales and flea markets and sometymes end up with stuff that ISN'T THE BEST...

The pilot hole drill bits, counter skinks & depth guages rely on some LTS(little tiny screws) to keep their place in the overall scheme of things and said LTS aren't always up to the tasks

Poor quality set screws don't always hold a/o their little fasceted/hex holes waller out at tymes and specialized spacers are required to keep everything in their proper place

The aproximate center of the chine logs, bulkhead & transom framing was penciled in and I used a very scientific method of measuring for screw/pilot hole placement

WAIT RIGHT HERE

I BE RIGHT BACK

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 05:19 PM.

steve

SEE, THAT WASN'T LONG...

Once all those little holes were drilled the bottom was dry fitted

And the assembly was flipped right side up

NOW, do you rememberize those BOLD PENCIL LINES?

Jim Michalak's instructions for building his designs always tell me to MARK CENTER LINES BOLDLY when laying out components

Those BOLD PENCIL LINES ALL LINED UP

And while sitting on a level surface, the work table, the wales were level too

She has lotsa rocker

AND SHE IS STILL SQUARE(dry fit)

After un-screwing all my screw ups I'm only about 3 weeks behind where I might could have been if I had kept to the written script

The temp's up to 62 so I guess it's tyme to head back up to the barn to do sum gluin' ;-)

Be back in a few

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 05:33 PM.

steve

This sure is fun, when stuff works out right

After spending the night above 40 I think the glue had set well enuff for the hull to be rocked around a bit

Tilting the hull up on one end allowed me to apply a thickened glue kinda like putty into the crevasses where the bulkheads meet the bottom

The next off the wall stunt I pulled was to slather thinned glue on the plywood surfaces like I read about on another forum

When using el-cheapo plywood or most any plywood for that matter the darn stuff checks and several plywooden boat builders have had good luck coating the wood w/ TITE BOND glue before priming/painting

One such boat was painted several years ago and when I just saw her her paint job looked great and she has made several messabouts and at least a couple TEXAS 200's

SO... I'm tryin it

Look what I found when I got back to the barn... BLACK SPOTS

Oh well... guess I'll give it a good sanding b4 priming

Filling the crevasses continued until I got all of them done

Gravity sure helps

And this little ladder made the job way more easier

One more slathering with thickened glue spread with a tiny acid brush

All the exposed edges of that el-cheapo plywood got a slathering

A coupla more slatherings w/ the thickened glue and I hope the water will have a way more harder tyme of intruding into the rot prone softwood cores

With all this thickened glue applied I'm thinkin the project kneads some rest and tyme to cure

I'll be back in about a week to check on the cure

While I'm gone I think I'll do some chuck wagon cooking down in Fredericksburg, Tx

The ACWA National Championship Cookoff will be on April 1st & I have the privilege of making hysterical presentations to a bunch of 4th graders and other guests during the event

More later

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 05:42 PM.

steve

Lucy I'm home

What a week... rain, hail, heavy winds and even a bit of sunshine

We hosted 250 4th graders for a day of historical presentations, 13 groups of kids & 11 presentations helping them learn about life in the late 1800's

There were some great cooks competing in the Championship Cook Off, the CREAM OF THE CROP...

When I got back to the barn the glue had had a chance to cure and most of the crevasses had filled fairly well

There were only a very few voids/crevasses left which will get attention in time

Once I got the work area cleaned up it was time to check the balance of the work done so far

With a level placed on the un-decked bukheads and a straight edge across the mid point of the hull the balance surprised me by being spot on

Now it was time to trim the bottom to the chines using a 1/4 round-over bit w/ a guide bearing in the router

The round-over bit makes short order of this task where most traditionalists would use a hand plane or a cabbage file(sure-form) and sand paper

This stage is where the cheapie rat plywood shows it's colors

The plywood available at the local big box store is BCX-YP with one B side, one C side, a core of mistery wood and assembled with "EXTERIOR" GLUE

This type of plywood has surface cracks, surface knots and internal voids that should all be addressed as/if possible

Another characteristic of this type of plywood is that it checks over time due to the layers being rotary cut which is why I painted the surfaces w/ the diluted TITE BOND III

Some folks stand by coating the surfaces with a thin(un-thickened) epoxy butt since this is an el cheapo build I am following suggestions of some rather frugal builders, more on that when it comes to finishing time

This week the deck material got traced, dry fitted and screwed in place where it was trimmed using the same method as used to trim the bottom except using a straight edged bit in the router

I've used up my pic limit

BE RIGHT BACK

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 05:48 PM.

steve

That didn't take long...

The seat design got modified from using a flat plywood seat to a slatted design, from a pine framed solid sheet to 4 thicker butt lighter WRC slats all set on pine cleats screwed n glued thru the sides, same as the original design

The original design put the plywood seat back against the aft bulkhead and I chose to leave a 4" space between the bulkhead and the rear seat slat to accommodate a throwable cushion to be used as a back rest(accommodation for OLD FOLKS)

Now the decks are trimmed and dry fit, the cleats for the seat are screwed n glued in place and the seat slats have been cut to size

The only thing I am still uncertain about is the means of carrying and securing the boat for transporting and docking

So far the only metalic parts in the build are the screws and they aren't stainless

The screws are coated residential decking screws designed to be used with treated lumber which mimics saltwater and fosters RUST :-O

Do I go traditional and use MARINE hardware or do I fabricate something out of wood?

PONDERMENTS...

when a decision is made you will get to see the answers

Hang in there I'll be back as the build progresses

sw
    Last edited by swoody126; 07-04-2017 at 05:52 PM.

steve