Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to sell classic glass.

Default Best way to sell classic glass.

I've placed my Knickerbocker with a broker, but I was curious what some of you thought was the best way to advertise/sell a classic glass sailboat.

An in addition to useful suggestions I'm fully expecting some disparaging frozen snot comments so carry on....
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Best way to sell classic glass.

http://www.sailingtexas.com/

Boats seem to turn over pretty fast from this site. See the "SOLD BOATS" link for examples of well illustrated and written listings. Good luck.
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

The nature of the boat determines the geographic size of the market. How easy is it for a buyer to relocate the boat? If the geography is large, the brokers get you the needed exposure. For a modest boat, the brokers's motivation is stronger if the boat is in his dooryard.
    For small (geo) market boats, local tools like Craigslist arre effective and cheap.
    Word of mouth never hurts.

I'm a big fan of the Knickerbocker. I have avoided getting one mostly because I sail out the mouth of the river and along the coast of Maine and New Hampshire. I need something a little drier. However, these are great, and I think underrated, boats!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    An in addition to useful suggestions I'm fully expecting some disparaging frozen snot comments so carry on....

arghblarghfrozensnotargh
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

make a little video of her

that always helps

this is one made to help sell the archetypal UK snot box

Well I spent a few months looking at frozen snot and I bought one.

The worst thing with frozen snot is green slime.

Whatever you do, get rid of any and all green slime.

After that, throw out all knackered and manky old gear.

Make sure the washboards slide easily and are varnished.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

She's well cleaned up, varnished. Just washed her the other day. Amazing how dirty she gets from the smoke off the Wildfires in north Georgia.
    The sales video is a good idea. Nicely done BTW. I need to piece some clips together. Here's one I took last winter after my daughter bought me a GoPro for Christmas. Myself and another Coquina owner out for a sale on her.

Good pictures of a complete boat, rigged, in the water. Bow, midships, stern. Close ups of rudder, tiller, sails. Good description of her extras and features, but not a dissertation. And notes on the condition of the trailer/tires/lights if she has one. Emphasize that she is complete, outstanding condition and ready to go.

Good Luck!

The more "standard" the boat is, the better. The buyer has looked up the details of the class on the Interthing and those are what she or he is expecting to see. Modifications may suit one buyer but nine others will hate them.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    http://www.sailingtexas.com/

Boats seem to turn over pretty fast from this site. See the "SOLD BOATS" link for examples of well illustrated and written listings. Good luck.
    Thanks for the tip. Listed her there today.

Six minutes on one tack! That doesn't make for an exciting video.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Six minutes on one tack! That doesn't make for an exciting video.

Steven
    Its a rare day when we can stay on a tack that long on Lake Lanier!

Not sure what their rates are but Good Old Boat has classified ads that I used to look through regularly. Seems like stuff moved pretty quickly. Also make sure your broker does a decent job on the yachtworld posting. The listing title is important because it effects searchability. Make sure the title includes what someone might search for like builder, the designer, and model's common name if any.

Thanks Jim and good point. I just sent them a note suggesting they include Sparkman and Stephens in the title. That certainly can't hurt.

0. Mention her racing heritage

1. +1 on Sailing Texas, they have good internet search engine results and people go there to compare prices on previous sales.

2. Maybe a craigslist ad in an area of the country where there is a fan base for your style boat? Also if you put her on local craigslist then someone may find her through a search engine like searchtempest.

3. Almost every boat the we have bought or sold (over 30) has been sold or found on either craigslist or ebay.

4. Local marina, good old 3x5 card on a bulletin board? Maybe she stays local.

5. Check facebook and yahoo for Owner's groups.

6. Get rid of anything mildewy looking inside the cabin, that's not the "patina" folks want to see. I'd also squirrel away the cleaning gear.

Bon Chance!

kb
    Last edited by signalcharlie; 12-05-2016 at 10:49 AM.

There's a catboat in Massachusetts I'm very interested in. Got a long PVD layover late this month to have a look.
    Might authorize my broker to offer a Christmas sale price.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    There's a catboat in Massachusetts I'm very interested in. Got a long PVD layover late this month to have a look.
    Might authorize my broker to offer a Christmas sale price.
    Best of luck!
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Like many have suggested - you need to create a multitake video. Show the boat and the generous cockpit. take phot0s of two good fresh pillows on clean cushions in the shot of the cabin below. Take a photo of a cute wife-like woman sitting and smiling in the cockpit drinking a cocktail along the dock. Include a fresh head and a clean icechest if needed. Also list the phrf rating of the boat.

You arent selling the boat. you selling a dream and lifestyle. When you talk or write about the boat - keep it lovingly and with great fondness.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 12-06-2016 at 08:07 PM.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    You arent selling the boat. you selling a dream and lifestyle. When you talk or write about the boat - keep it lovingly and with great fondness.
    There's alot to that approach. We had three calls the day after I advertised a small motorboat that our children used when its time had come to sell. I wrote up examples about how they'd used it for picnics on nearby islands, gone out to watch fireworks, taken friends from away tubing and to get ice cream, etc., and what that kind of independence meant to them. I think that had more appeal for the young couple that bought it than the description of the boat itself.

Anybody ever hear of these guys?

https://www.popyachts.com/

Another free listing service here: http://www.everythingboats.com/class...=&country_loc=

Thanks. I'm going to put a good video of her together and have it added to the sailing Texas sight. Also post it wherever I can.
    I'd love to see it move before my trip to Massachusetts later this month, but that's a tall order. I'm going to try to advertise her as many places as a can in the next few days. That catboat is talking to me.
    I does seem as if brokers just stick an ad on yachtworld and wait to collect a commission.
    Last edited by Reynard38; 12-10-2016 at 09:43 AM.

sold my classic plastic from my ad on Sailboatlistings.com most people think I sold it on Craigslist where I also had an ad up.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Do you have a local Uncle Henry's or trader mag? There's also a generation that doesn't shop on an iPad.

Also, https://members.apolloduck.com/submissions/index.phtml

You know what I've had some really aggressive brokers from PopYachts. Aggressive in a good way I mean. They e-mailed me, called me to see if they could help me find a boat. Actually responded to my oh-so-detailed description of what I was looking for and why. I got multiple contacts from different brokers too. They had a very motivated and positive approach, but it really seemed like they were modeling their approach after a wall street brokerage office. Young, desperate, eager to make a deal.
    J.D.O.

Thanks Jim. I'm thinking of firing my current broker and hiring them. They did sound more proactive. In the meantime I sent Good Old Boat an ad to place on their website, and relisted her on eBay.

The contract with my current broker ends Jan 7. I spoke to Todd of PopYachts today. I'm going to give them a shot.

eBay only made it to @ 2/3 of what I need to get for her. Gotta be patient, if that catboat gets away there will be another.

That's the attitude. Unlike baseball, you don't have only so many pitches.

I wish I had your patience, but you are right in that there are always more boats out there for sale. The quarter after I bought my last boat a couple more became available, with more gear and at slightly lower prices.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

PopYachts is getting the listing in early January after the current brokers contract expires. In the meantine the post eBay auction emails are streaming in. "What will you take for her" as well as many other questions. Curiously most of the interest is from the west coast. It'd be pricy to ship a 26' keelboat to California, but if they want her bad enough....

I should not have gone with a local broker for the boat in the first place. Atlanta is not a market for anything unusual. Lots of Catalina's and such at the lake, but she's still the only thing remotely like a classic on the lake that I've seen.
    Gonna be in the mid 60's tomorrow and Saturday here. Think I need to knock the dust off her.

That catboat is still available.

Well somebody's supposedly coming to see the Knickerbocker next week.
    I went to see the catboat. She needs a bit of TLC, and will need a sail soon. The broker posted an asking price for her. I made an offer.
    Turns out it was a telling price, not an asking one. Seller wouldn't budge $1.
    I'll find another one.

Another Sandpiper might be coming available.
    Also the potential buyer of the Knickerbocker had contacted the current broker and a surveyor. Maybe she'll sell.
    Hope the surveyor doesn't want to see her this weekend. 2" of snow predicted to come in tomorrow night and temps @ 18 at the lake.
    You DON'T want to be driving in the ATL when it snows!

Just signed the contract with PopYachts. We will see what they can do, and I'll report their progress in case somebody here needs a broker.
    Never heard from the surveyor. I told the potential buyer that hired him he'd need to contact me for the combination for the lock on the hatch. Last time I was up there somebody had been on board and had moved things around. I was supposed to be notified if anybody was aboard. Also the battery for the Torqeedo had been run down so I suspect somebody took her out for a sail, a clear violation of the agreement. Nobody has the combo except myself and now former broker. The combo has been changed.