Thread: coronado 15 FG boat

Default coronado 15 FG boat

OK, so I was scouting around for a trailer that I am sorely in need of and I ran across a Coronado 15 sitting on a nice used trailer. Long story short is I got the trailer as well as a Coronado 15. I am not inclined towards being friendly towards glass boats but the internet and google show a boat with a following that will go from zero to sixty as fast as anyone would want in a 15 ft. boat. Anyone have any experience with them, what would they compare to...etc.?

Re-naming straits as necessary.

Default Re: coronado 15 FG boat

I'm pretty sure most of these 15 footer dingy planing types are all fairly related... think enterprise, wayfarer, etc - a good place to start is this thread I think

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...planing-dinghy

it is quite loads of fun, the sweet spot performance wise before you get to the cat designs

The C-15 is quite popular here in SoCal where it was born in the mid to late '60s. Designed by Frank Butler of Catalina Yachts, the C-15 is a de-tuned high performance dingy; a good starter boat for learning trapeze sailing. I seem to recall some design changes at some point. They are fun and spirited but not as big a handful as an I-14 or a 5o5. The boats are popular for one-design fleet racing.
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

I spent a lot of time in these when I was younger. I wouldn't call it high performance, just a good modern design with good ergonomics and no vices. I prefer it over some other similar boats I've sailed like the lido.

So I picked up the boat down in Long Beach over Thanksgiving and sailed for three days. The weather was stunning, the ocean was stunning, the hotel was incredible, and the traffic jams were visible from outer space.

The boat (which I am loathe to admit I like) is tired and run down. It is also a masterpiece. The balance of helm on that boat, and its willingness to get up and smoke has completely reinforced my desire to build something like an i550, an i14, or one of the Welsford planing boats. I can't say enough good about it.

But I don't like plastic boats, out of principle, so I am either going to give it away or sell it for a pittance. If there are some plumbers around who are used to working on old septic tanks, someone might restore it.

But I have the utmost respect for the designer, despite his choice of canvas. If you hold your nose and close your eyes, it is a hell of a ride.

Long Beach is about the perfect place for the C-15. You have the sheltered water of Alamitos Bay, ocean sailing behind the breakwater, and the open ocean beyond. I grew up there, loving the choice of venues within easy sailing.

When I first sailed a C-15, I was already sailing I-14s and 5o5s (I never really liked the Flying Dutchman) so it seemed like going from a Porsche to a Miata. It wasn't a boat for me, but I often recommended it to sailors looking to get into high performance sailing. You seem to have gotten the bug.

Congrats!! You'll have lots of fun!!!

Interesting. Yes, it was really great. I was impressed that the hull bottom didn't melt away after being in the LA River harbor for a week. We stayed at the Maya Hotel and since it was off season, I brazenly docked at their taxi port, just up from the Queen Mary.

As far as I know, no plans available on i505s, but how would you compare the i14 to the Coronado? Again, I was hugely impressed with the boat. Its beam is similar to my Coquina, but it wants to get up and go like a scalded cat. As mentioned, the helm balance is superior to my boat before and after my various sail modifications (I built to original cat ketch specs, then modified with lug rigs--the boat is perfectly adequate but the Coronado is totally superior). I would be interested to hear further commentary. BTW, I was bargaining for an i14 down in LA and suddenly the seller disappeared. I presumed the boat was sold. I then saw a photo on a website of the identical boat with a description that the owner had put it up for sale and changed his mind. It was $750 with a trailer and sails! Needed restoration but mostly cosmetic. So I watch for them here and there. On Craigs in Santa Cruz there is one for sale right now but I can't fool with it this weekend.

I decided to name the boat, The Eeyore, if I were to keep it but everywhere on my little property that is not already taken by a boat, I can see it so its days are numbered.

Almost no floating trash! The boat and area were new to me, so initially I sailed it without the jib. Later I put the jib up. The boat wanted to run either way. I never felt threatened in the boat, but I probably did not have anything much above 15 knot winds during the week.
    Last edited by davebrown; 01-14-2017 at 12:12 AM.

the taxi dock. Probably couldn't have gotten away with that in high season. Left it docked for a week.

The I-14 is A LOT MORE boat than the C-15. Its got more sail area, its lighter, and its got 2 trapezes. The US National Fleet was just beginning to allow a second trapeze about the time I stopped sailing them. The I-14 is a development class, not a one design like the C-15. Today's boats are very different from the boats of a couple decades ago. A couple of major changes have been the addition of a bowsprit, and hiking racks to get the crew weight further outboard.

When you get bored with the 15, you'll be ready for a 14!

I hear you loud and clear. Here is what I would want to buy and this is the one I was bargaining for that popped up again later--not for sale.

Dave,

If the C15 is such a nice performing boat, why not duplicate it in wood?
    Then you'd have scratched the wood itch (and some fiberglass probably) and gotten a nice boat which you obviously like.

You could keep the same rig, fittings, C'bd, rudder.
    Strip plank it clear.
    You could just cut the hull on stations to help you define the molds since you don't like the f'glass hull anyway.

Then soup it up, bigger rig, trapeze, wings/ bars, bowsprit, reacher.

It could look like a more modern I-14, and we would have a long post to "help" you with.
    Could you make it lighter?

Just think of blazing such a new trail for wood guys.

OH GOD. Satan, get thee behind me. I would love to do that. Here is one of my two current builds, and the photo is one freakin year old. It is a rack of eye, no plans Chesapeake Oyster Drudge, and it has been almost finished for months. I am running two businesses right now and have a four year old and a seven year old. I just can't start another build right now.

I have also started working on guitars and just did a full solid timber reback on a USA Guild.

Last edited by davebrown; 01-14-2017 at 03:46 PM.

But if someone wanted to saw the boat and take offsets...I would consider donating.

You are too far away.
    Want to take a road trip to Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by davebrown View Post
    I hear you loud and clear. Here is what I would want to buy and this is the one I was bargaining for that popped up again later--not for sale.
    WOW!!

My first I-14 was US 373. I'm pretty sure that boat is even older. That boat is from the days when the 14 was still a one design dingy. She looks to be in great shape for an antique.

I tried racing mine against the modern boats of the late '60s and early '70s. I have never had so much fun coming in DAL (Dead Ass Last). I sailed her for about a year before I upgraded.

I KNOW I AM still crying about that hull. I exchanged several voicemails with the seller and then POOF. I later read on a blog the seller changed his mind after listing it, IIRC.

Dave,

I never had seen a Craftsman tuning peg on a guitar.!

Right, funny perspective. HAHA
    I built that back to custom D18 specs. Ribs are Martin scantlings but back plate is about 1/12", vs. D18 1/10". It came out shockingly well. In spite of the builder's lack of experience.

I always thought the windmill would make a nice daysailer. Simple construction, comfortable to sit on the rail, tanks on the side so it sits high when capsized. Similar to the C15 but with less beam and a lighter hull.

Agreed. good looking craft and said to plane easily. Since I am from The Great American South, skiffs are DNA wired into my blood. Love them.
    Last edited by davebrown; 01-14-2017 at 05:51 PM.

As a young guy trying to race an old Tornado catamaran, there were a couple of "old guys" in a Windmill who consistently matched me in down wind work in light weather. Aggravated me to no end.

I couldn't decide if it was the sailors or the boat - both with out a doubt.

But I thought in Black and White back then.

Dave,

Where is Fiddletown located?
    Do you still have the C15?

Marc

Hi, Marc --

Since Dave's not here, I'll answer for you. Fiddletown is about 50 miles due east of Sacramento, CA, in the Sierra Nevada foothills. Here in CA, we have some really nice mountain reservoirs for sailing. The higher lakes feature some truly spooky winds, 180 degree wind shifts in seconds. Lower down, the winds are a bit more civilized. Next week I'm taking my C15 to Lake Almanor, up in the Northern California mountains. Mine, too, is a tired old sailor that I recently acquired, and am only now finishing up some minor tweaks to the mast partners.

Bill
    "... the door was ajar, and the game was afoot." Lawrence Block

I used to live on a Vineyard in Fiddletown. I had a bmw k12 and commuted the back roads. A blast. C15 is long gone. I went out in a a Benetou (sp?) 33 yesterday. Big plastic toilet seat. My next build will be a planing boat in the 18 ft class, + or -. Hello to you Bill!

Looking forward to what you pick for 18' planing.

Hi, Dave --

Are you still in Fiddletown? You say you used to live on vineyard. Today my C15 is parked at Quail Lodge in Canyon Dam, CA. I had to make an unplanned return home (forgot the pfds, dammit). Tomorrow I'll splash the boat for the first time. Had to do some repairs, which kept the boat in dry-dock, but tomorrow, the water. Oh, where? Lake Almanor, in Plumas County, in sight of Mt. Lassen, Ca.

Bill
    "... the door was ajar, and the game was afoot." Lawrence Block