Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twilight - a design for older sailors

Had another idea,
    I have been thinking about the ergonomics in light weather and how to sit inboard and forward comfortably. I have seen a fair few prams with a fore and aft seat rather than a thwart. If I fitted one of these and then removed the side benches in this area the seat would work in light winds. Will need to work out the ergonomics carefully and mock it up.

Have started a Delftship model but early days yet

Tink

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default Re: Twilight - a design for older sailors

Quite like that.

In the Scows, we move right forward when upwind sailing. So, if wind lighter, can need to move between gunnels and dropping down to side deck. This might be more awkward with no sidedeck.

Guess if you can position the buoyancy further aft under the helm so no need to move forward when sailing upwind this would be nice for the design.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    Quite like that.

In the Scows, we move right forward when upwind sailing. So, if wind lighter, can need to move between gunnels and dropping down to side deck. This might be more awkward with no sidedeck.

Guess if you can position the buoyancy further aft under the helm so no need to move forward when sailing upwind this would be nice for the design.

Brian
    Yes I think there is still a lot of work to do, I think it is a case of working on the layout and the hull at the same time and tweaking as it develops. Just finished on Delftship for the night.

Ignore the proportions of the design, beam seams a bit too much, I am just playing with a new CAD package (see http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...89#post5077789)

Shows the general concept though

Progress being made

I've sailed on a boat that had an ice box around the centerboard, which you sat on to row. That part can be a good idea. The tanks on either side might trap some water in the lee bilge, though.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    I've sailed on a boat that had an ice box around the centerboard, which you sat on to row. That part can be a good idea. The tanks on either side might trap some water in the lee bilge, though.

Thanks, very valid point will look at water traps

Progress based on following assumptions
    Total boat weight 60kg, - tough target but worth a try
    Max crew weight 120kg, 19stones, extreme end again
    Total 180kg

For clarity foredeck and some other bits removed.

Swamped boat loaded to 180kg. This needs a bit of work as looks a bit unstable.

Capsized boat loaded to 60kg, note mast touching the water.

Going to check the ergonomics before going much further.

Crude but accurate ergonome, 50th percentile male. Bench lowered to accept 5th percentile woman. Like the more secure cockpit. Going to increase the beam to give a bit more room. Get quick at rebuilding them now.

What's the trim with the skipper that far aft?

Here's the Chicherterv Scow. It is double skinned but with a clean interior.

The capsize drill shows the bouyancy distribution.

http://flightmarine.net/Capsize.pdf

The Lymington and Keyhaven Scows really have too much floatation now, which is down to the CE rules demanding too much lIft but making it impossible to climb back in.

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post
    Keyhavenpotterer started an excellent thread about boats for older sailors

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...or-old-codgers

I have decided to develop my own boat for the older sailor and rather than filling up that thread though I would separate my design into a new thread, hope that is the correct protocol.

This is a very fluid specification

1. Single handed - if the older sailor wants to go double handed they can go in a more conventional dinghy with a more able crew
    2. Hull weight, 45kg - more manageable on shore
    3. Type - pram dinghy - stability and help get weight target
    4. Length - 10 to 11ft - to help get weight target
    5. Water ballast
    6. Rig, single Bermuda sail, free standing with roll around the mast reefing, can use of the shelf: SD, Topper, Pico
    7. Mast fitting, push up mast gate system as Topper rather than lifting Laser type - ease of rigging
    8. Ergonomic seating, Sit on side deck and foredeck as required, angled edge as per Streaker dinghy as I know this is very comfortable. Deep cockpit (about 17 inches deep) so sailor sits with knees bent approximately 90 degrees on all points of sail and all wind conditions.
    9. Center board - ease of use, no lifting
    10. Construction, S&T multi chine ply with flat bottom sheet
    11. Buoyancy, so floats on side when capsized (see Hadron dinghy) - easy to reach centre board
    12. Sealed mast - non inverting
    13. Righting lines as used on Feva dinghy etc - makes righting very easy
    14. Stepped stern - easy to get back on board
    15. Stern sheeting with bridle, one side of the bridle can be released effectively making very long mainsheet so boom can swing well forward and allow stern reentry

I am working, with difficulty, on a 3D CAD model. My 7 CAD package is not up to the professional CAD I have used in the past.
    LKZN0080[1].jpgGBAB1380[1].jpgTHBB1479[1].jpg This Opti-looking dinghy is meant for those who cannot spend much time for training, for elderly people, who want a sporty boat. She has a very good ergonomy, high boom, is form stable and has 600 l flotation. Carbon light spars and squarehead sails. The boat is built with vinylester and modern techniques like vacuum, prepreg . Naca profile daggerboard and rudder.She is developed by two clubmembers, (and I just finished the cover of the boat.) What do you think?

I like it.