Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456 LastLast

Thread: Planning a new Argie 15 build in England

Default Re: Planning a new Argie 15 build in England

I don't have any experience using a heat gun on epoxy. However, from what I've read it softens the epoxy, making it easier to strip off. I'd be afraid of softening it to much and end up peeling it off rather than just taking off the runs. I'm sure someone with experience using a heat gun on epoxy will chime in.

Short update:

Been away for a few weeks so no progress except that I've bought a foresail from a 420 on Ebay. Should be the right size I believe.

Yes. The 420 rig works on the Argie 15. If you get a 420 main, the loose footed variant is preferable.

Finally had some time to do some boat work and she's showing her true colours:

Looking beautiful. It would fit right in at our club where one of our members has built many boats all of them have a yellow hull. Seriously, she's looking really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Morford View Post
    I don't have any experience using a heat gun on epoxy. However, from what I've read it softens the epoxy, making it easier to strip off. I'd be afraid of softening it to much and end up peeling it off rather than just taking off the runs. I'm sure someone with experience using a heat gun on epoxy will chime in.
    Bit late here, but I used a heat gun to clean up the Inside of my glued lap Oughtred design. Not tricky, just keep it moving and avoid heating the wood to the point where it chars, i.e. epoxy softens at around 120C, wood damages at well over twice that.

Thats good to know Andrew. I've got lots of cleaning up to do on the inside. Second coat of yellow went on yesterday. Hopefully I'll get the third on today then she can go the right way up again. I really hate having her upside down. Stupid I know but there you go.

Some progress this weekend. Aluminium keel runners added and she's finally the right way up.

The observant among you may notice that the mast is a little small. That was just a temporary solution to ensuring that my mast step tabernacle is positioned upright.

With the obligatory fee to pay the ferryman of course...

Are you building a tabernacle that enables you to swing the mast from aft to upright using a pivot? I can't tell you how many times I've wished I'd done that. You might want to strengthen those side members though - is that 1/2" plywood?

The tabernacle is there partly as a future option if i ever build a wooden mast. I don't want to drill a hole in the aluminium one i have to take the pivot. I'm also planning that it will hold a short post to lift the cover when i wrap the boat up for winter. Its not finished. There will be triangular strengthening pieces either side and a front gate to hold the foot in place. But i want to see what mast rake is needed before i set that piece. Its 3/4 inch ply. I wanted to do it in hardwood but the stock i had wasn't very good. One thing I forgot was to drill a drain hole in the bottom. Guess i can do that in situ.

Glorious weather here in England today. I spent the time stepping the mast to get measurements for the standing rigging. And to be honest just to play with the sails. I did paint the cockpit with undercoat and glue down the foredeck too so it wasn't all pure indulgence.

The pivot on the tabernacle isn't needed. That aluminium mast is so light i can lift it in easily single handed and the uprights hold it firmly while i attach the rigging. It just needs strengthening at the bottom and a gate attaching to prevent the foot moving forward. I'm hoping to be ready for a test launch the weekend after next.

Looking really good. One thing to remember though - the entire process of building your own boat is an exercise in self indulgence! Keep those pics coming.
    Last edited by Roy Morford; 06-18-2017 at 09:21 PM.

It certainly is. I could hve bought a used wayfarer for less than I've spent on my Argie but where would the fun be in that? By the way, does anyone know why Dudley Dix called the design Argie?

I believe the design won a competition by the Argus newspaper in South Africa (similar to the Mirror newspaper in England and the Mirror dinghy). Dudley pronounces the name Argie with a hard G.

Getting closer! Today I finished the centerboard casing, adding reinforcing struts and a cutout to the center thwart to take the handle.

And I've reinforced the transom to take the rudder pintels and gugeons.

I like your internal layout. Some good thought has gone into this.

Thanks Capefox. I can't claim much credit. The design came about through reading and re-reading the threads from yourself and other excellent builds. I became a little obsessed. Especially as i forced myself to have the plans for Christmas which gave me two months of planning time. I'd wake up having dreamed about solutions.

Hmm! Bit of a problem. I don't seem to be able to find a company willing to insure a home built boat even for 3rd party only. Does anyone have any suggestions? I need cover for 3000,000 to store it at my club :-(

Would an insurer accept the boat if you provided a report from an accredited surveyor?

I don't think so. They're just plain refusing to entertain the idea. Think I've found one now though. https://www.basic-boat.com seem to be saying the right things.

Today I finished the standing rigging and have raised the mainsail. I've begun putting the boom together too.

I think the boom will be a bit low but will wait for sea trials to be sure. If so I'll have the main shortened a bit.

Jobs left to do:
    One more coat of wood stain on the inside
    Two more coats of varnish on the bright work
    Complete the rudder
    Build the tiller
    Complete the center board
    Paint the center board case and tabernacle
    Install the mainsheet block
    Install the jibsheet jamming cleats
    Install the rowlock (oarlock) sockets
    Install the hatch covers
    Install various cleats

I'm hoping to move her to her place at the sailing club this weekend. Might even get to see if she floats :-)

Well, the good news is that she floats and has moved to her new home. Unfortunately the temporary centre board I made out of plywood swelled in the case and jammed so it wasn't possible to actually take her out for sea trials but all in all it's been a good day

I'd love to see the mast tabernacle and rigging up procedure in a video.

Unfortunately, I'm not using the tabernacle to pivot the mast at this point. That'll come later when I build a wooden mast.

Looking really pretty and businesslike. Can't wait to see her under sail. Good work.

I managed to get the swollen centre board out by turning her upside down and applying judicious use of a sledgehammer. Lesson learned in absorption.

With that we started sea trials today. The boat sails beautifully. Pointed very well and we managed to beat out of the harbour against a full flood spring tide. Unfortunately we came to an abrupt stop when we ran aground and then the temporary tiller i built broke so we had to limp home.

A few teething issues. The boom is way too low, so i need to cut the mainsail down and raise the gooseneck slot. Luckily the foot of the main is about 6 inches too long as well so cutting off 18 inches from the foot should make it perfect.

The jib sheet jamming cleats are totally in the wrong place. Easy fix.

The tiller was twice as long as needed but i had a saw on board and did a running repair. I think a swan neck on it will make for more comfort though so I'll laminate a curvey one.

The road trailer I'm using is too heavy for me to recover the boat single handed so ive bought a lighter launching trolley.

All in all I'm very pleased. The video below isn't very well filmed but gives a flavour of how she sails. When I'm a bit more experienced with her I'll take some better shots. It was all a bit hectic today.

Last edited by Nikky; 07-17-2017 at 07:00 PM.

Hey folks, I need some advice. I've been working on cutting the bottom 18 inches off my mainsail. I've sewed the foot hem easily with a machine but have to add these strips of ribbon to the eyelets to help take the strain from the ringlets. The problem is that the reinforcing patches in the corners are about 6 layers of sailcloth thick and there is no way a machine needle will go through. To re-attach the patches I drilled through with a 1mm wood bit and then sewed through the holes but I don't think that will work here as the ribbon fabric will close up and hide the drilled hole. I'm considering gluing them on with epoxy. What do you think?

Last edited by Nikky; 07-30-2017 at 08:45 AM.

Pierce holes with a thin hot wire. You may need to hold it in place with double sided sticky tape whilst you work on it. Put a twist in the tape, it might lay better in the eyelet.

Alternatively buy a sail palm and needles. Good for putting proper whippings on rope ends as well.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Thanks Nick, that tip with the hot wire worked a treat.

Have you ever noticed on a long car journey that you cover 99% of the miles in three quarters of the time but the last 3 miles seems to take forever? I seems its the same with boat-building. The boat has been "finished"for weeks now but I seem to be taking forever to get the fiddly little bits done to make her ready to sail. I built her new launching trolley today and oh what a difference it's going to make. I feel confident I can single-handed-ly launch and recover her now. I've got a winch on the new trolley that is fantastic. Never used one before. And I've replaced the temporary tiller that failed with a new one cut out of a single piece of mahogany and glued to the rudder stock. I think that will be better. Needs a tiller extension....

Anyway the weather over in England has gone to typical summer i.e. storms and rain so it's not sailing weather at the moment.....

I somehow missed the videos you posted. Beautiful execution of the Argie 15. If you can, please post some of those capsize recovery videos. I could learn from your example.

I haven't tried a capsize yet. Will be giving it a go before too long though.

Took the boat up to the regatta last weekend. First time I've actually gone anywhere other than just for a test sail.... Definitely need the oars in strong current and low wind though. She paddles very easily.

Looks like fun. We use an electric (36 lb) trolling motor and a small wheelchair battery, which has enough running time to shuttle from harbor to open water and back. Although as soon as it is wears out, we'll upgrade to a 55 lb thrust motor.

Yeah, I've been looking at those and thinking about using a motor cycle battery.