Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Meachen
    • Jan 2004

Re: Planning a new Argie 15 build in England

I use rubber washers beneath the bolt head and case and on the other side of the case,between the nut and case and in both cases a penny washer to apply a load to the rubber washer.I also use a plastic bush through the board to take the compression load of tightening the bolt.

Comment

• Nikky
      • Nov 2016

Dry fit of the centerboard casing with the final bulkheads in place. Notice that the casing is a bit longer than the plans state. The reason for this is twofold. Firstly I've made the centerboard a little thinner than the dimensions given, as I want it to be flush with the seat tops when raised. I thought it prudent to add a little extra depth to the whole thing to make it the same overall wet area. Secondly, the reason it needs to be flush with the seats is because eventually the cockpit floorboard will be able to rest across the span between the seats to provide a double sized sleeping berth. The centerboard case will then add support to the mid section to prevent midnight collapsing disaster.

Comment

• Nikky
        • Nov 2016

And my plan to solve the watertight integrity of the centerboard case. I've routed a slot leading from the pivot point to the top of the casing on both side. This will be lined in aluminium to add strength. A bar the overall length of the slot will be inserted in the pivot point on the centerboard and the whole thing will be dropped down into the slot thus allowing the complete insertion and removal of the board from above and preventing any need for holes through the casing. It will also have the advantage that should I run aground (and I will) that the case will pop up on an elasticated tie down and prevent damage. It may also be easier to dislodge stuck pebbles and complete maintenance on the board too. The slot is set at an oblique angle so that the force of the water will help keep it down when moving forward. And if it doesn't work there's nothing lost, I can always drill a hole through and settle on a more conventional system.

Comment

• John Meachen
          • Jan 2004

Older GRP Enterprises had a similar arrangement.Have you given any thought to how you will replace the strength lost by removing material when you cut the grooves?

Comment

• Nikky
            • Nov 2016

Hi John, yes the metal track will prevent percussive force punching a hole through the ply with the pivot pin in the event of an inpact and the centre thwart bulkhead will give additional lateral support. The original design only called for 6mm ply on the casing and i have more than that with the remainder of the beefed up 3/4 ply I've added. There will also be knees bracing the aft end too. Its all a bit experimental so if it goes belly up I can cut it off and put a dagger board in its place.

Comment

• Fredostli
              • Aug 2013

Wow. Working fast! Missed this one in my winter sleep... Good idea with the transom

Fred

Comment

• capefox
                • Feb 2007

I'm glad you went with the pivoting centerboard. Mine has the daggerboard and I dislike having to schlep an extra bit of tog around. Also, when the board is raised it becomes a nuisance (running downwind, coming into shore or retrieving on the trailer).

Comment

• Nikky
                  • Nov 2016

Thanks Fred. I have to admit I'm working to a bit of a deadline. I'm building at my parents' house which is due to be sold in the next few months. So I'm trying to get to a stage where the boat is movable and can be finished under a tarpaulin. I bought a trailer the other day so at least I can transport the boat and I'm thinking of doing a test float before I seal up the side benches. Just to check for watertightness. That will of course be after I've glassed the exterior but my next task is to fit the gunwales so the boat is fixed in her final shape prior to cutting the seat tops and glassing the hull.

I added the aluminium channels to the centerboard today. It's ready for the last coat of epoxy inside and final assembly tomorrow. I've no idea if this slotted contraption will work. I agree with you Capefox. I remember the daggerboard in my mirror dinghy. It was always getting in the way when brought inboard and would stop the boom swinging over if you raised it all the way up - fun in a gybe! It's resting on the trailer here so the silver bit with the bolts on isn't part of it.

Comment

• Nikky
                    • Nov 2016

I've also been toying with the idea of putting benches forward. Might be useful for stowing the anchors and warps. Still undecided though.

Comment

• Nikky
                      • Nov 2016

I've been struggling with where to get the hardwood for the gunwales. It seemed a bit ridiculous that the 8X40 strips of wood were going to cost a fortune and take weeks to be ordered. The solution was to buy a table saw that I've always wanted and £20 on four planks of 40X60 timber from Southampton wood recycling center. The new saw ripped the strips to the perfect size. They are now scarphed together and glued up. The bonus is that the boat is now also environmentally friendly:-)

Comment

• keyhavenpotterer
                        • Nov 2007

In my last post about his Argie 15 project, Kevin Agee closed in all of the seats. What remained was to tidy up the drains through the cent...

Comment

• Nikky
                          • Nov 2016

Cheers Keyhavenpotterer. I'm not sure those little bits of blue tape will hold it together very long (joking). I think i like the forward seats though.

Comment

• Nikky
                            • Nov 2016

Using the bevel cutting function on my table saw (loving my new toy) I made some knees to the stern quarters today.

And I've installed the U-blot thingy.

I've started building the aft locker... Note the vertical knees installed to add stiffness under motor. I'll cut the rebate for the tiller and outboard motor later along with a reinforcing plate for the rudder pintles.

And lastly---- I've stuck the centerboard case down to the carpet. Oops! Luckily it's being changed.

Comment

• Nikky
                              • Nov 2016

Got the first two strips on the gunwales done. The inner and outer layers will be done once this has set up. I screwed these ones onto the hull as I didn't have enough clamps to do both without. The outer strip will cover the screws (stainless of course).

Comment

• Nikky
                                • Nov 2016

I've all but finished laminating the gunwales now. I'm surprised and a little frustrated at how long these took. You'd think gluing on strips of wood would be a simple thing but it took nearly a week to source the wood and formulate a plan then another week to stick each strip to the boat and let the epoxy cure between laminates. Just got to plane and sand them smooth and that'll be job done.

In other news the centerboard trunk is now installed. It needs a couple of knees to brace the aft end but all done bar the shouting. I've also started the lateral seating but ran out of wood.

Pictures to follow another day.

Comment

Working...