Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wooden boats similar to a Sea Pearl 21?

Default Re: Wooden boats similar to a Sea Pearl 21?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lathrop View Post
    I like the SP as well as the CS but in no way could a SP beat a CS 17 in a wide range of conditions if both are sailed by good sailors.
    I guess we've had different experiences and/or the ambient conditions in my experiences didn't reflect yours and a smaller sample size has skewed my judgement. Skipper ability could be a factor as well. I'm certainly not going to argue with you. I wasn't there in 2009, though the boat may have been.

Anyway, I'm not knocking the CS by any means.

To anyone wondering, you can count on Caledonia/Ness/Etc. Yawl speed in a SP21... displacement vs displacement, instead of displacement vs planing hull.

Now why don't one of you get out there and design me a goddamm wood boat that can give me what I have in the SP21 so I can be legit again on this forum.

NNECS members: don't let the cat out of the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post

Now why don't one of you get out there and design me a goddamm wood boat that can give me what I have in the SP21 so I can be legit again on this forum.

You could talk to Tony; stretching Harrier would be no big thing. And then there was the very fast faering style boat that Bruce Elfstrom developed, had two slides for rowing and a carbon rig similar to mine. I don't remember the design's name maybe Raider?
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post

I might have to second this request. I think it would be very interesting to see a wooden boat that mimics or copies the SP. I can't believe that a wooden version couldn't be designed that would be about the same in all aspects - including ease of rigging, design and aesthetics. I know all the other wooden designs out there have their own special place and points, so I'm not discrediting any of that, but it would be nice to be able to home-build a boat like the SP in wood - and I guess at a much lower cost. I know how much you can wrap up in purchasing the materials and building a wood boat, especially if you take the time to try and add a bunch of bright work and extras, but a fully loaded SP from the factory is well over 25K. And I'm not trying to replace the great designs by Vivier, Oughtred and Welsford - just maybe adding to the mix a little.
    "Men go back to the mountains, as they go back to sailing ships at sea, because in the mountains and on the sea they must face up. by Henry David Thoreau

I think that Swallow Boats Bayraider may be available as a CNC kit. Possiblly the Bayraider Expedition?

http://swallowyachts.com/range/bay-raider-expedition/

Bayraider

Bayraider Expedition

Having built a Caledonia Yawl and sailed her for years, I don't see it as being very close in design to a Sea Pearl. There is a tremendous amount of volume in the Caledonia Yawl hull while the Sea Pearl seems leaner to me but it would be interesting to see the lines of the two compared. I think my next build, a Welsford Long Steps, will be much closer to the attributes of the Sea Pearl. I'm pretty darn sure that Long Steps will row better than both the Caledonia Yawl and the Sea Pearl as it will be lighter and a little smaller. Long Steps will utilize the off-set centerboard that's been so successful in John's other designs like Walkabout and SCAMP. The off-set board gives you the open cockpit similar to what the leeboards provide for the Sea Pearl. Long Steps will have a self-draining cockpit which the Caledonia Yawl does not have. With a crew of two, Long Steps will be able to recover from a knockdown and then continue on its merry way – something not so easy with a Caledonia Yawl. Although I have to stop right here and say it's mighty darn difficult to capsize a CY.

As far as set up time is concerned, my Long Steps will be able to allow me to step the masts (yawl rig) on the water so at the ramp I'll be able to park the truck, jump in the boat, and set off rowing. That gives me the option of hanging around and talking boats with folks or just saying, "excuse me please but I really need to go for a row."

Long Steps will also have the added bonus of a cuddy which gives you some privacy when you or a friend need it. On raid type events it also gives your crew member a chance to catch a nap out of the cold when its chilly or out of the sun when its hot – kind of important especially in the Texas 200. My experience with the SCAMP cuddy was that it's also a great place to throw sails, flotation, or just about anything else that's getting in your way of sailing or rowing the boat.
    Last edited by kenjamin; 11-18-2016 at 07:32 AM.

I enjoyed watching this video, How to Rig a Sea Pearl: http://cyberspaceandtime.com/How_to_...Jlg2a7xU.video

I did not know about the interesting features of this design, but now I do.
    Last edited by flo-mo; 11-18-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Sea Pearl Loa 21' Beam 5'-6" Draft 6" Doublended
    In many ways this looks like a dory to me, something like a long Swampscott or a Surf Dory. Which there are a good number of designs already in existence. Maybe what the Pearl has that they don't is a bit more freeboard since it's not a working boat. Build one of the dorys and drop the Pearl rig on it assuming the CB placement is properly planed for. Personally not being too interested in rowing a boat that size I would want to extra beam of most of the designs mentioned in this thread already.

I think you are correct. For the most part it's mainly the ease in rigging with their roller furling Main and Mizzen. And chances are any of these designs would work with it if you adjusted the spacing to the correct placements. I think where it bothers me the most is "would" you want to alter the great aesthetics of a design by say Oughtred or Vivier? Maybe a design that is more utilitarian in concept you could but some of them are way more on the "old school" design and they need the sail design that were made for them to look correct. The boat design you would need is something that doesn't have the roller furling design change it's looks so much as to detract from it. I guess thou if none of this matters it wouldn't matter if you changed it. Just my two cents.
    "Men go back to the mountains, as they go back to sailing ships at sea, because in the mountains and on the sea they must face up. by Henry David Thoreau

Thanks flo-mo for posting the rigging video. It would not play on my ipad but was fine in my Chrome Bok. What was so interesting was the rigging with it's roll around the mast, outhaul, and reefing sytems are essentialy the same as Solway Dory Sheatwater sailing canoe that I have enjoyed so much. Would it be fare to say that the rig is one major feature to keep in a wooden verion?

Here is the Solway Dory Osprey with two roller mast rig

You see, I think Long Steps is already promising to be a superb coastal cruiser. Read more here http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ign-cross-post

Because I have sailed with lug rig and the roller mast style rig, I think it would be possible to rig Long Steps with the Sea Pearl two roller mast rig.

Then you would have a superb solution.

Brian

Brian, I think you're right about the possibility of rigging a Long Steps with the roll-up reefing Sea Pearl ketch rig but the bigger question is what would you be giving up by not using the yawl rig of the stock Long Steps design? The yawl rig does have its advantages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I reckon both rigs would be popular. Sailors could simply choose which they prefered. Would make Long Steps even more popular than she will be anyway.

Guess I really ought to check with John!!

Brian
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 11-18-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Note that the Hobies use roll ups for their boats. Use of use wins. I suspect that there may be some sail shape advantages to non roll up rigs.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.

I do not know a thing about the Sea Pearl ketch rig but I've managed to learn a few tricks over the years that the yawl rig offers. The small mizzen of the yawl has the ability to nicely "park" the boat with the bow headed into the wind. By sheeting in or easing that mizzen, the helmsman can balance the helm while underway for all types of conditions. Very quick instant reefing is available by dropping the main and running under jib and mizzen with the yawl rig. By having sticks that extend the sail area out beyond the bow and also extending past the stern, the yawl allows for a lower aspect rig with good performance yet with shorter spars. The yawl rig's mizzen also has the strange ability of sailing the boat backwards in a controlled fashion. And finally it's the best way I know of getting "three sheets to the wind!"

Quote Originally Posted by kenjamin View Post
    Having built a Caledonia Yawl and sailed her for years, I don't see it as being very close in design to a Sea Pearl. There is a tremendous amount of volume in the Caledonia Yawl hull while the Sea Pearl seems leaner to me but it would be interesting to see the lines of the two compared.
    It's not about the design/looks being close, it's about the attributes of the boats. Fast, easy to rig, easy to reef, easy to trailer, big, yet light, ballsy, shallow draft. That's what I'm/we're looking for. Long Steps looks slender, speedy, and nice for one, but would be a squeeze to sleep two.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt young View Post
    Sea Pearl Loa 21' Beam 5'-6" Draft 6" Doublended
    In many ways this looks like a dory to me, something like a long Swampscott or a Surf Dory. Which there are a good number of designs already in existence. Maybe what the Pearl has that they don't is a bit more freeboard since it's not a working boat. Build one of the dorys and drop the Pearl rig on it assuming the CB placement is properly planed for. Personally not being too interested in rowing a boat that size I would want to extra beam of most of the designs mentioned in this thread already.
    Yes, exactly. It's actually very close dimension wise to the Alpha-Beachcomber, but with a much different hull shape. Flat bottomed, tombstone transom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Note that the Hobies use roll ups for their boats. Use of use wins. I suspect that there may be some sail shape advantages to non roll up rigs.

I think the slight sail shape distortion when rolled up around the mast is equivalent to or less impactful than a "wrong-tack" on a balanced lug... IE: not really discernible. I oppose the sails in rotation (one mast counterclockwise the other clockwise) so they are even.

I will say that I don't use the rotating-gooseneck technology on the Sea Pearl as a downhaul gets in the way and must be undone. I've noticed that with a downhaul that's one-sided to the gooseneck that the sail, when wrapped around the mast, can pull tight when adding the outhaul so there's some slippage around the mast, which causes some belly. I double-up my downhaul on both sides of the gooseneck to prevent this sail-twist on the mast, and drop the boom to take a my reefing wraps so I don't get additional belly when I'm reefed down.

Quote Originally Posted by kenjamin View Post
    With a crew of two, Long Steps will be able to recover from a knockdown and then continue on its merry way – something not so easy with a Caledonia Yawl.
    The one thing I that I am not so happy with about my Sea Pearl -- besides the fact that I did not build it -- is that it is not reliably recoverable from a capsize. Is this something that a wood version could overcome without too much change in the hull size and shape?

... one of Bolgers prettiest designs, especially for instant boat type construction. I think a Pearl type hull could sail nicely as a schooner... if only the masts were interchangable! (I already asked )
    Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 11-18-2016 at 07:52 PM.

As a former S P owner, I can reiterate that the simplicity of rigging and sailing is enough of a draw as to balance the lack of absolute speed. As to calls for a wood boat with all the same attributes, would it be at all feasible to use a SP as a male mold for a cold molded/vacuum bagged boat? Flat bottom could be, say two layers of 1/2" marine ply, and gunwales added after the whole thing is pried off the mold.

Christophe, my barn will be empty come next spring if you want to volunteer Scout for a mold.....
    And, by the way, you do too have legitimacy on this forum.

Before anyone attempts to make a direct copy of a Sea Pearl hull, they may want to check with Marine Concepts Inc. of Tarpon Springs, FL and see how they feel about it. They are the folks that manufacture the Sea Pearl boat and are still in the business of selling them.

It's funny that right in the Marine Concepts web site information it states that the Sea Pearl design was inspired by Hereshoff's Carpenter design. So looks like we have a wooden boat inspiring the design of a fiberglass boat that some want to inspire a wooden boat. Seems to me it might make more sense to go back to the original source and start from there again. It would probably be smoother sailing that way especially when considering the legal aspects of the endeavor.

Kenjamin I think those points are all very good. I have a soft spot for the Carpenter, I like that flat bottom and curvy sides, as I mentioned earlier on this thread I wonder out more sail. I think a great option for building a carpenter or Sea Pearl type boat would be one of the Jennyies. They are based on Capenter and one is 21' long.

http://www.bigjennyexpeditionboats.c...011/index.html
    Last edited by Matt young; 11-19-2016 at 10:27 AM.

Hey Matt, interesting for me is that all the Jennys (like Welsford's Long Steps) have the yawl rig. Long Steps is presently being build by John Welsford as his personal adventure boat that he designed for himself so it's notable that he chose the yawl rig. I have to say, though, that in the Texas 200 this year where it's generally downwind sailing, all the ketch rigged boats looked very comfortably in control sailing wing and wing. I guess there will always be conditions where one rig will seem a little better suited than another. Like boats, all rigs are a set of compromises and one has to just chose his or her favorite set of compromises.

Here's an idea. Find ten guys who want a boat inspired by Hereshoff's Carpenter and Marine Concepts's Sea Pearl. The ten guys could share the cost of having a new and original boat designed by a well respected designer but "inspired" by the two boats mentioned. How much do you think that would cost each of the ten individuals? The new boat of course would utilize the latest in modern wood/composite construction and who knows, maybe it could end up being offered as a kit.

Yes comisioning a new design is an option. For me if I was going for a boat like that, Tad Robert's Ratty is a better option. It has the ketch rig you are talking about, Lug Ketch I like that.

http://www.tadroberts.ca/services/sm...-and-oar/ratty

Paul Gartside's 166? 20 ft ,lug rigged, she looks like comfortable design. http://store.gartsideboats.com/produ...ard-lugger-145

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Morgan View Post
    The one thing I that I am not so happy with about my Sea Pearl -- besides the fact that I did not build it -- is that it is not reliably recoverable from a capsize. Is this something that a wood version could overcome without too much change in the hull size and shape?

I think capsize recovery is mostly (entirely?) addressed by flotation. At least for me it was. Unless you stick the stupid masts in the stupid mud and pound them down 3-4 feet (chuckle).

This thread scratched an itch I have had for years...to build a wooden boat to replace my Pearl. Yall have saved me a bunch of time. Thanks.

One thing that is still in the back of my head is to cut out some of the fiberglass inside and make it more of an open boat. Keep the deck in the front and the side decks but cut out the part between the cockpit and center well. Open it up some and make it easier to go forward. Although I dont have the talent not to make a mess of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Morgan View Post
    Never thought about it; can you stand on a leeboard? Will it take your weight? And are the aluminum sticks on the Sea Pearl sealed? If not could they be?

I always thought that the Sea Pearl had a good bit of floatation. What
    Ben Fuller

Yes comisioning a new design is an option. For me if I was going for a boat like that, Tad Robert's Ratty is a better option. It has the ketch rig you are talking about, Lug Ketch I like that.

http://www.tadroberts.ca/services/sm...-and-oar/ratty
    This one is very nice and salty looking, but 12" draft board up. That's a problem for me and the type of sailing I do.

Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    I think that Swallow Boats Bayraider may be available as a CNC kit. Possiblly the Bayraider Expedition?

http://swallowyachts.com/range/bay-raider-expedition/

Bayraider

Bayraider Expedition
    I'm not sure the Bayraider Expedition is a comparable design to the SP, but it's close I guess, it might be closer to a Norseboat. Either way it's a very pretty boat. I didn't know there was a US distributor for their boats, let alone a CNC kit to build one. If anyone has a link or information on that I would be interested in checking that out.

Kenjamin I think those points are all very good. I have a soft spot for the Carpenter, I like that flat bottom and curvy sides, as I mentioned earlier on this thread I wonder out more sail. I think a great option for building a carpenter or Sea Pearl type boat would be one of the Jennyies. They are based on Capenter and one is 21' long.

http://www.bigjennyexpeditionboats.c...011/index.html
    I have never seen one of these boats and after looking at a couple pictures on their website they are a very interesting design. A nice mix of features I think. They almost seem like they are "more" of a boat then the SP's are - more full featured. I think it's the cuddy/cabin area that is designed into them that makes them look so much larger than an SP. Maybe a little overkill for the comparison but I like them thou - but for me it's hard to not like all double enders.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Paul Gartside's 166? 20 ft ,lug rigged, she looks like comfortable design. http://store.gartsideboats.com/produ...ard-lugger-145

I really wished I had more time to be able to build one of Gartside's larger boats like his 22ft Gaff Cutter - like "Surprise" or his even larger Gaff Cutter's. Very pretty designs. I just couldn't imagine the amount of time and resources to take on such a project. I have to hand it to all the boat builders out there, and on this forum that build the larger wooden boats. It truly is a love profession or hobby. I could spend hours and days looking over the projects and admiring the ribs before planking is started or done. I find I'm doing good just to complete a strip canoe or kayak let alone something that large that is built in their "spare" time. I could only wish, and the dollar amount placed on the finished boat I couldn't fathom. But Gartside's smaller designs might fit into the mix for designs similar to the SP's.

I would still like to see something that is a very close duplication of the SP - without of course infringing on the SP's design rights. I would never want to copy another designer. Just like if I ever built another boat of the same design I have plans for already I would ask the designer what they needed for payment for building a second boat without re-purchasing another set of plans. It's the least I could do for something they spent so much time, energy and love into producing.

When I recommended John Welsford's Long Steps design as a Sea Pearl similar boat, one of the negative comments was that it had no provision for an outboard and some thought it was too big to row. That has recently changed as John has agreed to add a motor well in the plans for those who need or want an outboard motor for auxiliary power. Also someone else added the "must sleep two" requirement to search for a wooden Sea Pearl when in fact the Sea Pearl can only sleep one comfortably.

I know I sound like a Welford sales representative when it comes to Long Steps but after building a SCAMP and his Saturday Night Special, I know the man draws some amazing boats and John is a pleasure to work with. He is also open to changes a builder may want to make to his designs like the new motor well for Long Steps.

Anyway, all this to say I still think when you consider the capabilities of the Sea Pearl, except for the rig, Long Steps is a pretty close match in a wooden boat design.

I think you are correct in all aspects of John's work, and him as a designer. I've emailed him many times about the plans I've already purchased from him and he was great to work with and did a few changes for my Walkabout plans without hesitation. He's been great to just email with and I doubt you could ever find a boat designer more approachable than John is. I couldn't agree more.

You may also be correct about the close match for the SP with Long Steps. And I would be very surprised if John wouldn't give his input as to the feasibility of changing out masts and rigging with an actual SP set if you wanted to go that route. I was emailing John back and forth about another plan set and will probably go with a Long Steps set as soon as I see a few more pics to convince me of it. Just some proportional pics and all of that. I may even get the specs of the SP rigging to send to him to see if it can be incorporated and maybe use both rigs for my build - the traditional one that is meant to be used and maybe the SP one for other uses. Not sure at this point. I at one point was looking at a set for either a Navigator, Pathfinder or Pilgrim but will probably go with Long Steps because it might be what I'm looking for more with something like a SP. I still love the Pilgrim design but my Halman 21 I think fills the same nitch so it's not needed right now. But I still like it so maybe in the future.

I know in my searches over the last few years for plans on boats I cannot speak high enough about designers like Welsford, Oughtred and Vivier. They have all been great at returning emails, having suggestions and feedback and giving their views on questions. I think it speaks for itself what a great process and community building boats is. It's the same for the smaller kayak and canoes designers or suppliers I've worked with also. The ones I have purchased plans for and been lucky enough to email or speak with directly they couldn't be more helpful. All a great bunch.

Somewhere on the web there's a picture of a stretched Walkabout with a cuddy that closely looks like what Long Steps will look like but I couldn't seem to find it. Maybe you will have better luck with that or someone will volunteer the image. John also told me that I could build my Long Steps without the cuddy if I wanted so more like the foredeck design of his Saturday Night Special and more like the Sea Pearl. Without the cuddy it would probably be better for my fishing but I think I've decided to go with the stock Long Steps because of resale value, a place to get out of the weather, and sometimes its just good to have a little privacy on a boat if you know what I mean. I'm still hopeful of having a girlfriend in the future someday and she's gonna want that.

Good luck with your quest for a wooden equivalent of the Sea Pearl. There's not much doubt in my mind that the Sea Pearl rig could be applied to Long Steps but it would take some major refiguring for sail balance and somebody would have to design that mast step that sits in the middle of the Sea Pearl (the one that makes it a little more difficult to go forward on the boat). John tells me that the cockpit of LS is something like 11' long and its all open useable space and some of that is protected by the cuddy. So in an event like the Everglades Challenge, somebody can be catching a nap out of the sun forward in order to rest up for their turn at the helm. That's even more important at the Texas 200 where the wind and heat are especially brutal. Should also note that the yawl rig on LS provides for a space between the main and mizzen where a bimini could protect the helmsman from the sun without interference from any booms or control lines. That's my main reason for my Long steps build. I'd like to try the Texas 200 again, but next time with a full-time bimini.

"Nootka sound" by Joe Dobler is pretty similar to the seapearl in size/shape/configuration. 1ft shorter, same beam, an inch more draft. Dobler was a aeronautical engineer who designed some pretty interesting small boats in his spare time (in case you hadn't heard of him).

Attached Images Attached Images

I wondered if the Nootka Sound would come up om this thread and eventually so it has!

Its a little surprising to me that this design hasn't been more popular over the years (well at least it doesn't appear to be popular by way of internet info - not always the most reliable of indicators I know!) and I wonder why, is it the rig, the aesthetics, the layout or the hydro-dynamics/potential sailing qualities ?

With a more considered (standing lug maybe) rig it ticks a lot of boxes.

Doesn't seem like any of Dobler's designs are popular. Not surprising since he passed away 20 years ago and no one is promoting his designs.

I wasn't aware of him until a handful of plans popped up on Duckworks a while back. I like his style because he seems to have focused on keeping his designs light with low drag and windage (not surprising for an aeronautical engineer) and also efficient use of materials/ease of construction.

Quote Originally Posted by flo-mo View Post
    I enjoyed watching this video, How to Rig a Sea Pearl: http://cyberspaceandtime.com/How_to_...Jlg2a7xU.video

I did not know about the interesting features of this design, but now I do.
    For any who have not yet seen the video, it is also available at YouTube:

As the new owner of a thirty-three year old Sea Pearl, I have found this thread very interesting. My thanks to all who have contributed!
    I once heard an old guy say "If you haven't been in trouble on the water, you just haven't been on the water very much."
    Now I'm the old guy!