Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooden boats similar to a Sea Pearl 21?

Default Wooden boats similar to a Sea Pearl 21?

Can anyone comment as to what wooden boats might be similar to a Sea Pearl 21? Ease of sailing, rowing, rigging, etc. Preferably plan versions of wooden boats. Just a general question and curious to some of the similar or different aspects of them. The Sea Pearl 21 seems like a pretty good beach cruiser/camper so I was wondering. I'm not trying to start anything, just curious.
    "Men go back to the mountains, as they go back to sailing ships at sea, because in the mountains and on the sea they must face up. by Henry David Thoreau

Default Re: Wooden boats similar to a Sea Pearl 21?

B&B Core Sound 20

http://bandbyachtdesigns.com/20-2/

Vivier has a new 21' design on the French version but website not working just now.
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 11-12-2016 at 03:29 PM.

supposedly the seapearl was inspired to some extent by the Hereshoff "Carpenter" design... nice sail and oar boat, which was in turn inspired by a whale boat or surf boat type hull.

at the SRR!

perhaps Callsign will be along to elaborate.

also the dory I'm currently working on Centannial has some similarities, deck with cargo hatch and seperated cockpit area, similar size. Tabernackel mast so hopefully fairly easy to set up the rig, though very different sail rig (gaff with 2 jibs) from Seapearl, but multiple sail combinations.

Well, the Sea Pearl will sail circles around the Carpenter, so that's one lack of similarity. I used to own the one (SP) shown above, and it exceeds any boat I know in terms of simplicity and ease and speed of rigging. I built a Caledonia Yawl in hopes of achieving the OP's query. While the CY is an excellent boat, and better looking than the SP, not to mention being wood, it never measured up to the SP in my opinion.

Yeah, the leeboards do look funny, but the open cockpit more than makes up for that.

I'd love to see a wooden equivalent. I'll watch this thread to see what others can turn up.

Quote Originally Posted by phiil View Post
    Well, the Sea Pearl will sail circles around the Carpenter, so that's one lack of similarity. I used to own the one (SP) shown above, and it exceeds any boat I know in terms of simplicity and ease and speed of rigging. I built a Caledonia Yawl in hopes of achieving the OP's query. While the CY is an excellent boat, and better looking than the SP, not to mention being wood, it never measured up to the SP in my opinion.

Yeah, the leeboards do look funny, but the open cockpit more than makes up for that.

I'd love to see a wooden equivalent. I'll watch this thread to see what others can turn up.
    It's already been offered. The CS20 in any of the versions will sail rings around a Sea Pearl, as will the CS17. Not speculation but based on personal experience. Rigging is very similar and takes the same time to launch. Being wood and much lighter, it is even easier. When the wind pipes up, the double ended SP must be reefed early or it gets very cranky while a CS, with its more powerful aft lines and transom, picks up and planes away under control. The water ballasted Mark3 versions are even better in my opinion. The only time a SP competes with a CS is in very light air where the low wetted surface gives it the edge. I've not sailed one but a Welsford AWOL and others should do the same although sloop and gaff rigging is more involved than an unstayed mast.
    Tom L

Quote Originally Posted by phiil View Post

interesting, could you elaborate? how was the SP superior?

Carpenter is 3? ft shorter than pearl, and to my eye looks a little under canvassed. None of the boats in question ar particularly fast so speed, +- a MPH or two, to my mind is not a big issue in this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lathrop View Post
    It's already been offered. The CS20 in any of the versions will sail rings around a Sea Pearl, as will the CS17. Not speculation but based on personal experience. Rigging is very similar and takes the same time to launch. Being wood and much lighter, it is even easier. When the wind pipes up, the double ended SP must be reefed early or it gets very cranky while a CS, with its more powerful aft lines and transom, picks up and planes away under control. The water ballasted Mark3 versions are even better in my opinion. The only time a SP competes with a CS is in very light air where the low wetted surface gives it the edge. I've not sailed one but a Welsford AWOL and others should do the same although sloop and gaff rigging is more involved than an unstayed mast.
    the CS are great boats, and fast with a good amount o wind, neither design, SP or CS in stock layout, would be as suitable for open water as Centennial, but they could probably be upgraded, how is the CS for capsize recovery? has one ever capsized??

your right about light air, the 2 years I had the 21' Alpha up at the SRR I found the Alpha quicker on all points of sail up to about 15mph breeze and faster upwind up to around 18-20 mph, at that point the width and flat run of the CS made that hull faster...

CP performance was very similar to the Alpha, the Alpha might have been a little better in ghosting but at that point it's far faster to row anyway... the Alpha with less wetted surface area may be a better row bot than SP and definately better than a CS.

Here we are finishing a 5.5mile rowing race in the Alpha... 1 hr 22 min (with a beginner rower in the stern seat)

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 11-13-2016 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    interesting, could you elaborate? how was the SP superior?

Carpenter is 3? ft shorter than pearl, and to my eye looks a little under canvassed. None of the boats in question ar particularly fast so speed, +- a MPH or two, to my mind is not a big issue in this discussion.
    Daniel,

Did you really mean that? In literal terms, you are right but a mph or two at the speed these boat go is a huge difference.
    Tom L

in choosing any of these utilitarian craft the sailor is consciously sacrificing a huge amount of potential boat speed for carrying capacity or eases of rowing or historic interest etc... so I would assume that if one boat is faster or slower by a few mph that's not a big deal... also these boats all trade top speed depending on weather conditions, I'm thinking the average speed differences over a variety of conditions are fairly small.

the CS are great boats, and fast with a good amount o wind, neither design, SP or CS in stock layout, would be as suitable for open water as Centennial, but they could probably be upgraded, how is the CS for capsize recovery? has one ever capsized??

your right about light air, the 2 years I had the 21' Alpha up at the SRR I found the Alpha quicker on all points of sail up to about 15mph breeze and faster upwind up to around 18-20 mph, at that point the width and flat run of the CS made that hull faster...

CP performance was very similar to the Alpha, the Alpha might have been a little better in ghosting but at that point it's far faster to row anyway... the Alpha with less wetted surface area may be a better row bot than SP and definately better than a CS.

Here we are finishing a 5.5mile rowing race in the Alpha... 1 hr 22 min
    Daniel,

I am not familiar with an Alpha. In the one SRR that I sailed in with 50 other boats, Graham in his EC22 did a horizon job on the fleet, including me in my 15' 8" Lapwing. However the rest of the fleet was a horizon behind Lapwing. That included some rowing which is certainly not the best feature of either of these boats. Both of us are experienced sailors who have raced quite a bit and that probably affected the outcome somewhat. I am sure your wind speeds are off quite a bit as I think the CS and other similar boats are faster in anything over 10 mph and I am being generous.

All of the CS boats have experienced capsizes with the level of satisfactory recover highly dependent on skill and knowledge of the sailors. All are built with 5 to 7 watertight compartments that insure safety unless the sailors screw up. The later versions with water ballast will self recover from capsize as shown on the B&B website videos. How do open boats like the Caledonia or similar fair in a capsize?

I remember some years ago there were about three boats starting on a camp cruise tied up in the town harbor. A Caledonia had lots of plastic bags of gear and such stored all round the interior. Someone asked the guys on a CS (17 or 20) when they were going to load their gear. The reply was "its all in there". It was out of sight in sealed compartments. I'm sure there will never be an end to these arguments.
    Tom L

Daniel,

I remember some years ago there were about three boats starting on a camp cruise tied up in the town harbor. A Caledonia had lots of plastic bags of gear and such stored all round the interior. Someone asked the guys on a CS (17 or 20) when they were going to load their gear. The reply was "its all in there". It was out of sight in sealed compartments. I'm sure there will never be an end to these arguments.
    I think that is a huge, little understood bonus of decked boats vs open S&O boats... with a decked boat you can stash gear under the deck... and have the boat fully usable for Sailing, rather than stepping around over and between dry bags. That was a draw back of the Alpha the ends filled with gear very quickly and you had to be conscious of how gear moved around when raising and lowering sail or going for the anchor.

Sorry guys, I really didn't mean to turn this into a heated debate. The reason I stated I didn't want to start something. I do appreciate all the comments thou. I think I was more interested in the design comparisons more so than the sailing comparisons. And yes sailing performance is important, but I really was looking at the actual design - shape, set-up, rigging and core design of the boat comparisons, not necessarily a better boat out there for something or other, because I know there are many. I don't have a Sea Pearl and I already have another larger glass boat and I'm starting on building a wooden boat so really it's not to change my mind or build something or buy something else. It's really because it seems like there are quite a few of the SP's in service as rentals in places like the Bahamas doing beach rental/excursion sailing and it seems like they have a decent following so I would have to assume that there are quite a few great points to these boats so I didn't know if there might be a comparable wooden boat that someone could build. Not really for me. I already have plans for a Sooty Tern and a Walkabout build and will build both in due time - both for something completely different really, so this debate isn't to persuade me in any certain direction. I think for me the best comparisons might be in the Caledonia Yawl/Arctic Tern/Sooty Tern lines or something very similar. It would be hard to discredit the merits of a Core Sound - no matter what size you would pic, they have to many great attributes. But that might be a completely different design for this comparison. I guess I'm looking at the the first few comments of this debate and it's direction as to what sparked or inspired the Sea Pearl to be built - someone saying "I love this wood boat built by so and so, now lets make a glass boat very similar to it to sell to the masses" - something maybe a little more durable, utilitarian, etc. But thanks all for the comments so far, I love where this might be going. Remember - play nice all!
    "Men go back to the mountains, as they go back to sailing ships at sea, because in the mountains and on the sea they must face up. by Henry David Thoreau

I think that is a huge, little understood bonus of decked boats vs open S&O boats... with a decked boat you can stash gear under the deck... and have the boat fully usable for Sailing, rather than stepping around over and between dry bags. That was a draw back of the Alpha the ends filled with gear very quickly and you had to be conscious of how gear moved around when raising and lowering sail or going for the anchor.
    I think that is maybe one of the reasons I am curious to the Sea Pearl design - it looks like it's a great compromise between the two.

But for the ease of rigging the masts and sails, and probably sailing in general I think the Core Sound is probably right on track with the Sea Pearl. So for that I think throwing the CS into the mix is a great add.

not wood but... SAROCA is very similar, almost a SP shrunk in the wash

Michalak Laguna
    Atkin Excelsior
    Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I have driven a 6.5l Dodge with diesel Cummins and it was glorious....

Sailrat, I don't think the thread has reached anywhere near a heated debate. These are all good boats but those who like one or another will always need to point out reasons to back up their choices. A Sea Pearl is a good boat and appeals to many, just not to me and some other people. Some just don't agree with arguments in favor a double ender except in limited circumstances. There are a lot of Sea Pearls for the same reason there are lots of other boats. Mainly, they are available in the commercial market. Some don't like wood and some don't want to build their own.

I would also love to see a Dodge Cummins parked in my driveway.
    Tom L

The boat that comes to my mind would be Don Kurylko's Alaska. She is smaller than the Sea Pearl, but she is slim, fast and very rowable. And very good looking. Kurylko's site is down now, but here's a link to an Alaska for sale:

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classifi...npipe_27216004

Or of your wanted to move up in size and weight.
    Selway Fisher New Benford Whaler
    Tad Roberts Tern
    Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I have driven a 6.5l Dodge with diesel Cummins and it was glorious....

http://duckworksbbs.com/plans/jw/6m_whaler/index.htm

Welsford's Whaler it's 1.5' beamier than the Pearl but to me we are not talking rowboats now. Looks like a good one. I have liked the look and size of the Carpenter and have wondered if it could take more sail, as people have said its slow. Maybe since it was originally drawn as a tender, the idea was not to reach its maximum speed potential?

http://www.tadroberts.ca/services/sm...-and-oar/ratty

Tad Roberts Ratty, great boat.
    Last edited by Matt young; 11-14-2016 at 07:14 AM.

John Welsford's new Long Steps design with it's off-set centerboard gives the same open cockpit as leeboards and it is designed to row well. Long Steps cockpit is self-draining and the boat sets up for sail quickly. It also has a cuddy where you can shake off the cold in cooler climates or catch a nap out of the sun in the warmer ones. It can daysail four adults or take two and all their gear for events like the Texas 200 or the Everglades Challenge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by photocurio View Post
    The boat that comes to my mind would be Don Kurylko's Alaska. She is smaller than the Sea Pearl, but she is slim, fast and very rowable. And very good looking. Kurylko's site is down now, but here's a link to an Alaska for sale:

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classifi...npipe_27216004
    I actually thought about this build when I went with the Sooty Tern. Very pretty boat. Why isn't his site up and running currently.

Why isn't his site up and running currently?

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's one reason.
    You'd have to ask him about the others...

As a Sea Pearl owner, I'll add one comment that nobody has mentioned about it's design. The roller furling main and mizzen is just really great. If you are not bothered at the launch ramp and answering questions, the boat is in the water in 10 minutes tops. I'm currently building a CS20 Mark III, but the Sea Pearl isn't going anywhere. There are many a days all I have is two hours. No other boat has let me enjoy that little time out and in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3KM7p9Bt1E

Quote Originally Posted by Matt young View Post
    http://duckworksbbs.com/plans/jw/6m_whaler/index.htm

Welsford's Whaler it's 1.5' beamier than the Pearl but to me we are not talking rowboats now. Looks like a good one. I have liked the look and size of the Carpenter and have wondered if it could take more sail, as people have said its slow. Maybe since it was originally drawn as a tender, the idea was not to reach its maximum speed potential?
    I do like the 6m Whaler. I was looking at purchasing plans for one of these when I purchased the Sooty Tern plans. I love the looks of the boat but was looking at more of a 50/50 row/sail when I purchased. If I was only building for sail then it would still be on my short list. As are the Navigator and Pathfinder. Both very nice boats. I think if I was going to put another one on my list to build after the ones I already have it would be a Pilgrim or Vivier Ebihen 16. I think it's these 5 boats that I like the most, at least for traditional looking boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W (NY) View Post
    As a Sea Pearl owner, I'll add one comment that nobody has mentioned about it's design. The roller furling main and mizzen is just really great. If you are not bothered at the launch ramp and answering questions, the boat is in the water in 10 minutes tops. I'm currently building a CS20 Mark III, but the Sea Pearl isn't going anywhere. There are many a days all I have is two hours. No other boat has let me enjoy that little time out and in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3KM7p9Bt1E
    That is the one thing I think I like the best about the Sea Pearl - the ease in rigging that I have seen. The roller furling main and mizzen would be great if it could be duplicated on one of the other boats we have been talking about. Without I guess purchasing a Sea Pearl rig and adapting it.

When I purchased the plans to do my two builds I realized me being a little on the OCD level (my wife says LOT) that my builds will take a little longer for me to get done than I had hoped. Which is OK because I will be enjoying the builds as they go. I love doing strip canoes and kayaks - kind of therapeutic, so I'm enjoying the others as they progress. But I wanted something to sail in the process so along came the Halman 21, which is great and of a design I love, but it doesn't eliminate the quick put in and take out at the docks. Something the Sea Pearl has. The Halman can be rigged decently fast, but in no way as fast as one of the smaller beach cruisers like a Sea Pearl - so I guess that is where my pondering comes from. Wondering if a similar rig could be done for the Walkabout or Sooty?

And I will be very interested in seeing one of Welsford Long Steps completed, with some pictures. Very similar to the Walkabout from what I can see. The Walkabout for me was purchased to build to eventually do the Everglades Challenge in and maybe some other raids along the way. But it might be the closest to the Sea Pearl in simplicity that I can see so far. I might have to do a little more research and see if maybe I can do something like the Sea Pearl's roller furling on it. Would make the raids a lot easier in the long run if it could be.

Thanks

There is a new Francios Vivier design called Lasse 6.5m. It is listed on the french version, but not on the english one yey.

http://www.vivierboats.com/en/product/lasse-6-5-m-2/

Quote Originally Posted by photocurio View Post

The boat that comes to my mind would be Don Kurylko's Alaska. She is smaller than the Sea Pearl, but she is slim, fast and very rowable. And very good looking.

... with crouching headroom and a bright, airy interior.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by darroch View Post
    ... with crouching headroom and a bright, airy interior.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Very nice, and it looks very well organized for an open deck boat. I already received the study plans for the Alaska earlier this year so maybe I will have to look into it a little more as soon as his website is up and running again. I did check the Sea Pearls website and Marine-Concepts have their mast and mizzen listed for sale - both complete for $321 and $314 each. And their sails are 136 and 160 sq ft total for the main and the mizzen - depending on which ones you pic. And the Alaska is 134 sq ft - so I'm thinking at least for this boat design that could be doable as far as comparable sail area.

The CS20 in any of the versions will sail rings around a Sea Pearl, as will the CS17.
    The 20 yes, the 17 no, unless it's blowing very hard out. Then the CS comes into its own since she is so stiff and can keep more canvas up.

The OP's post is something I've been pondering for a few years now.

The CS is certainly a very credible wooden contender to the SP21, and I have been oft tempted. However, I have rowed my SP clear across Penobscot Bay from Castine to Belfast, and I would not want to do that in a CS. It wasn't pleasant in the Sea Pearl, it would be downright painful in the CS. The CS will sleep two, however, and the SP really only sleeps one. I like the lines more on the SP, I think the CS lines are very modern/utilitarian/brute. Despite that, Graham is a genius and the CS hits almost all the real marks.

I'm still waiting for a solid wooden equivalent though with classical lines. For me it would be a Caledonia Yawl, but the only problem is that everyone has one, they are as ubiquitous as Bud Lite at a football game but far tastier. The Carpenter is a nice boat but slow. Vivier's Lasse does not look like it enjoys the shallow draft or the quick set-up as the Sea Pearl. And are those hard chines?

I can get SCOUT set up in 12 minutes, trailer to water. The reefing system is just awesome.

There is just a combo to the SP values that are tough to beat. Incredible shallow draft, fast, easy to reef, easy to rig. I am actively looking/want a boat that is as fast, but comfortable for two to sleep, with the same ease of rigging, reefing, trailerability, and shallow draft (6"). It's been tough to find an equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post

I'm still waiting for a solid wooden equivalent though with classical lines. For me it would be a Caledonia Yawl, but the only problem is that everyone has one, they are as ubiquitous as Bud Lite at a football game but far tastier. The Carpenter is a nice boat but slow. Vivier's Lasse does not look like it enjoys the shallow draft or the quick set-up as the Sea Pearl. And are those hard chines?

There is just a combo to the SP values that are tough to beat. Incredible shallow draft, fast, easy to reef, easy to rig. I am actively looking/want a boat that is as fast, but comfortable for two to sleep, with the same ease of rigging, reefing, trailerability, and shallow draft (6"). It's been tough to find an equivalent.
    I think you are correct, the Caledonia Yawl might be the closest to the Sea Pearl, it might be one of the reasons I started to look at Oughtred's designs initially - that and his designs really are very special. You add the designs and the aesthetics of all the wood and you have a great looking and sailing boat. I just opted for the slightly thinner version going with the Sooty Tern. I think where the SP might jump slightly ahead is like you said - the ease in rigging.

The only jump would be with the reefing, and that's a maybe. IO's boats rig pretty quick, they all embrace the same concept.

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    The 20 yes, the 17 no, unless it's blowing very hard out. Then the CS comes into its own since she is so stiff and can keep more canvas up.

I like the SP as well as the CS but in no way could a SP beat a CS 17 in a wide range of conditions if both are sailed by good sailors. A SP did beat a CS 17 in the EC one year but that came about because the CS 17 did not have a decent GPS or any experience with the entrance to Flamingo at night and chose to anchor till daylight while the SP sailed on past and finished first ahead of the CS 17.

In fact, Sea Pearls have been beaten by a Bay River Skiff 15 over a two day race of about 70 miles (at least 30 miles upwind) on the NC coast more than once. I've sailed all three and while I like a Sea Pearl for the reasons most people do, its simply not a match for the others in speed in other than light wind. I would not wish to get into a shouting match but must add my personal experience from many years sailing and watching these boats. There is a chance I may have even seen your boat at the SRR in 2009. I was beaten by a SP in my BRS 15 in light wind but that was the only time that happened. The SP is handicapped by being a relatively tender, strictly displacement boat limited to hull speed while the others mentioned are not. That is not a knock on the SP, just a consequence of the design parameters which cannot be ignored.
    Tom L

Harrier was optimized for one at 17' and 250, with side benches, a toe strap and outside gunwhale hiking seating. Even though a double ender she will plane as she is highly asymetrical and has a flat bottom board keel. Took her out the other day with 3 up in gusting 25, no reefs, with the new stiff mast and things were much better. Not sure how she would do with a CS17, certainly better rowing. Tony and I kicked around stretching the concept to 20 which she would need for two camping easily which would put her into the Caledonia, Sea Pearl size range.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."