Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Southern Cross

Default Re: Southern Cross

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    I heard from him by satellite phone last night my time, he's got his little ship up on the beach on his inflatable beach rollers waiting out a series of bad weather fronts. He needs three or four days of good weather to make it out to where he'll find the next really workable safe harbour.

He's in good spirits and doing ok.

John Welsford
    exciting stuff! what was the final result of Howard's stove search? is he curled up in scamps "cabin" with a cup of coffee, good book and drift wood fire crackling in that little camping stove?

I have designed and built a tiny cast Iron stove for my reproduction of Centennial, 4.5 inches diameter and 14 inches tall... just doing a test burn with Anthricite as solid fuel in the side yard... the heat these tiny stoves can throw is astonishing.

He's well on his way, got really beaten up on the first day out, left the museo Nao Victoria about 4 pm hoping to get past the city before nightfall, remembering thats about 10 pm at this time of year. The wind swung south which was forecast, right on the nose, but it kicked up to 30 knots plus and created huge close spaced waves. The little SCAMP coped fine.

I'm tracking him now, he's about 25 miles or so south of Punta Arenas, had a good days sailing in light winds, is now stopped for the night behind a little sheltering sandbar that we noted on our drive down the coast from the town.

There will be reports covering the first two days on Below40South.com as soon as the webman can get them posted.

He didn't take the woodburner in the end, two reasons. One is that the "high" tent with the smokestack vent in it was not as good as it could be, and the other is that the low tent made by Matt at Cutwater Canvas is so good and so cozy in cold weather that Howard decided to leave the stove at home.

https://www.cutwatercanvas.com/scamp-products

He's carrying four Swedish white gas stoves, all the same so parts are interchangeable, and enough fuel to cook twice a day for four months.
    He anticipates having fires on shore now and again, perhaps in the fire rings that the indigenous people left there way back in the past.

By the way, although he's carrying coffee, I've got him converted to tea. Taught him how to make a proper cuppa, even with a teabag.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

He's well on his way, got really beaten up on the first day out, left the museo Nao Victoria about 4 pm hoping to get past the city before nightfall, remembering thats about 10 pm at this time of year. The wind swung south which was forecast, right on the nose, but it kicked up to 30 knots plus and created huge close spaced waves. The little SCAMP coped fine.

I'm tracking him now, he's about 25 miles or so south of Punta Arenas, had a good days sailing in light winds, is now stopped for the night behind a little sheltering sandbar that we noted on our drive down the coast from the town.

There will be reports covering the first two days on Below40South.com as soon as the webman can get them posted.

He didn't take the woodburner in the end, two reasons. One is that the "high" tent with the smokestack vent in it was not as good as it could be, and the other is that the low tent made by Matt at Cutwater Canvas is so good and so cozy in cold weather that Howard decided to leave the stove at home.

https://www.cutwatercanvas.com/scamp-products

He's carrying four Swedish white gas stoves, all the same so parts are interchangeable, and enough fuel to cook twice a day for four months.
    He anticipates having fires on shore now and again, perhaps in the fire rings that the indigenous people left there way back in the past.

By the way, although he's carrying coffee, I've got him converted to tea. Taught him how to make a proper cuppa, even with a teabag.

John Welsford
    PS, between his Ipad, talking books and print books he's got a considerable library on board, including "War and Peace". Days when the weather is such that he cant move he's calling "War and Peace days".

J

Thanks John, the only descriptor is "epic "!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Ha ha, tea convert! Have you Howard on the PG tips pyramid bags?

Only Yorkshire tea please!
    Great stuff following with interest.
    James

When Howard builds his Long Steps, he can bring his wood stove with him. I'm glad he didn't take that thing. I know he spent a lot of design work on the stove but it sure set high in the boat when set up and must have weighed quite a bit. It's good to be prepared but like I found out at the Texas 200, there's only so much carrying capacity and once you exceed that amount, it's more harm than good. Good to hear that Howard was wiser than I was when it came to packing gear. Following his voyage with much interest. Go Howard go!!!

I just found out about the running aground incident: http://smallcraftadvisor.com/our-blog/?p=4804

I can only imagine what he must have felt like to come back and see the boat pounding in the surf. Good to know he's on his way now....
    Last edited by Adrian Valley; 02-05-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Ha ha, tea convert! Have you Howard on the PG tips pyramid bags?
    Dilmah English Breakfast.

John Welsford

As a dedicated tea drinker of Pommie extraction, Twinings English Breakfast tea is the one to go for. I don't leave the house til I've drunk 4 mugs of a morning......

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Valley View Post
    I just found out about the running aground incident: http://smallcraftadvisor.com/our-blog/?p=4804

I can only imagine what he must have felt like to come back and see the boat pounding in the surf. Good to know he's on his way now....

YIKEEES

some wild stuff here... already an adventure and a half! wow...

http://smallcraftadvisor.com/our-blog/?p=4804

On The Beach
    I reached her location and my heart skipped a beat. I raced toward shore and there was my boat fully engulfed in surf and being pounded onto shore with the cockpit full of water, sand and seaweed. She had dragged anchor and I was not there to tend to her needs. Now she was ashore on the beach being beaten up. I was momentarily dumb founded as I realized the scope of what was in front of me. What could I do? I had been here before at age nineteen when a rookie error caused my Cape Dory Typhoon to beach in breaking surf on Assateague island in the middle of the night in similar cold but not as windy conditions. I managed a solo self rescue then, could I do it again? I had to get over the shock and act if there was to be any way to get out of the dire situation, which at the moment looked very serious and so I did. I reached into the flooded cockpit and grabbed my dry suit, stripped off coat and shoes and got on with it.
    I dug out Southern Cross‘s main anchor, released more rode and entered the Strait swimming it out as far as I could. I dove under and set it for I knew just placing it might not be enough hold for what I was about to attempt. The water was really cold and I all of a sudden realized I was not nineteen I was much older and this was a serious situation. With no time to think I got back to the boat and shoulder under her bow sprit I began lunging and lifting with all my might but nothing as she was continually pounded further on to shore. I regrouped and grabbing her pump handle furiously pumping her cockpit getting just ahead of the incoming water, what a mess, gear floated and I thrashed it aside as I pumped until my arms throbbed.
    Back at the bow sprit I began rocking her timing each rock with the next incoming wave and she began to inch bow out to sea. This little boat, my world, my home, my dream yet fulfilled wanted to live. Soon I had her bow out and went to starboard and hauled in rode, the anchor held. I made my way through waist deep water to her stern and again timing with each wave I put my back to her transom and used my bodies largest muscle group my thighs and managed to inch her out as her bow lifted with each wave. I had been at this for nearly an hour and adrenalin was coursing through my being and I felt neither cold nor fatigue. Finally, she was free and I swam to her side and hauled in more rode pulling both of us to sea.
    She was free of the first break and I needed to stop and collect myself to make a plan. I swam to shore and crawled out of the water all of a sudden feeling very spent. I looked at my hands and winced, both bled from numerous cuts on my knuckles, I hadn’t felt a thing until that moment. I stood on the beach catching my breath and looked for a solution. To my left and 200 yards away was a ship wreck and relatively calmer water between the wreck and shore. I had no other option and realizing how much trouble my boat was in and how precarious her location was I again got to it.
    She was listing heavily to starboard and I felt heart sick and driven to her aid. I entered the water and swam to the anchor pulling it from the bottom as wind whipped the surface and took my breath away. I man hauled my way along the anchor rode to shallow enough water enabling me to stand and began working the boat along the beach toward the slightly more protected place. This took real effort as I worked her side shore to the break but just far enough out that she remained free. Finally, I got an anchor down off her stern in about eight feet of water and bobbed my way back to shore. I set my main anchor deep in the sand. I then manually pumped her foot well almost dry and felt so thankful I had built in the foot well and transom vents, they had saved the day.
    The mistake of not dogging down hatch covers had bitten me but hard as her lockers were full to the seat tops with water, sand and seaweed. Some dry bags had yet to be fully closed and contents were ruined. Her centerboard was fully jammed with seaweed and rocks and the pennant broken. The rudder up haul was also broken and I was unsure if she had been holed or not. I eased off her aft anchor and brought her close to shore and began unloading soggy salt gear all of it soaked in salt water and most of it covered in sand and seaweed. I piled it on the beach and pumped her seat lockers. What an incredible mess. It was hard to know where to start or how to continue. So I stopped long enough to take off my dry suit, the suit that had saved the day and for a moment just stood looking at my boat.
    Revelations and Lessons

Wow I am glad you and your little ship managed to survive such a harrowing ordeal reasonably intact. Stay safe.

Makes my grounding of my Alberg 30 in Varedero Cuba and subsequent push sailing to get her off, with once underway while being dragged behind sound like a walk in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Valley View Post
    As a dedicated tea drinker of Pommie extraction, Twinings English Breakfast tea is the one to go for. I don't leave the house til I've drunk 4 mugs of a morning......
    There was only a very limited choice available in Punta Arenas, but the Dilmah tea is an ok everyday drink so thats what we went with.

John Welsford

Heard from Howard this am. He's across the Straits, crossed short of Cabo Froward on a favourable wind and he's anchored in a tiny inlet on Isla San Juan off the east coast of Isla Dawson.
    Lat -53.896716 Lon -70.909131

He's now about a days sail from the entrance to the Magdalena Channel.

Alls well.

Reports on Below40South.com

John Welsford

Finally really started....well done!

good news. thanks John

I had a call from Howard last night, 4 am my time, 9 am his time, he is in a little inlet by the name of Zigzag bay right at the mouth of the Magdalena channel. It was dead flat calm for almost the whole day yesterday so he rowed Southern Cross for 7 hours. Made about 15 miles, is in good shape, no blisters or sore muscles.

Heading for Puerto Hope then south to a little group of islands about 10 miles further along.

John Welsford

Wow! I enjoyed rowing my SCAMP and she moved well but I doubt I could have rowed her 15 miles in one day. That's impressive especially considering all the gear he's carrying! Glad to hear progress is being made. I bet Howard's feeling better now that he's really underway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is engrossing, please keep up the periodic reports.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

His day has ended, its late evening for him now, and I've just had a ping from his beacon. He's in a little inlet on the eastern side of the channel about 10 miles in from the mouth.

More reports coming.

John Welsford

some incredible stuff on the blog there... I'm just trying to imagine a scamp sailing through 10ft. white capping chop, EPIC!... does Howard have a Go Pro type camera for documenting these extreme conditions? either head mounted or on the mizzen mast video footage of conditions like this would be incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    some incredible stuff on the blog there... I'm just trying to imagine a scamp sailing through 10ft. white capping chop, EPIC!... does Howard have a Go Pro type camera for documenting these extreme conditions? either head mounted or on the mizzen mast video footage of conditions like this would be incredible.
    A movie is being made. http://below40south.com/
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    A movie is being made. http://below40south.com/
    He has two fixed mount GoPros in the cockpit, one on a moveable mount, a spare, and spare parts, plus a high end Sony handicam.

He's got a lot of video and is continuing to shoot.

I've just checked his position, he's on the move after a very rough couple of days, has been hiding out while a storm blow through, was blown out of his anchorage, dragged ashore with his anchor fouled on a crab pot, found a sheltered spot and sat out two days of heavy rain and 50 mph winds.
    More reports coming on below40south.com.

John Welsford

I've just posted a pic on my blog, Howard sailing in the Magdalena Channel, the pic taken from a big steel expedition yacht. Sorry I cant get it to work here but you'll find it a
    at http://jwboatdesigns.blogspot.co.nz/

Quote from Howard, "I love this boat".

John Welsford

From Howard's recording on February 7, he said he saw hundreds of penguins and two whales. He also said that a large sea lion tracked behind him for quite a while. I goggled the size of large adult male sea lions and found out they can be 6 to 10 feet long and weigh 800 to 1000 lbs. - that must have been exciting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He has two fixed mount GoPros in the cockpit, one on a moveable mount, a spare, and spare parts, plus a high end Sony handicam.

He's got a lot of video and is continuing to shoot.

I've just checked his position, he's on the move after a very rough couple of days, has been hiding out while a storm blow through, was blown out of his anchorage, dragged ashore with his anchor fouled on a crab pot, found a sheltered spot and sat out two days of heavy rain and 50 mph winds.
    More reports coming on below40south.com.

John Welsford
    "was blown out of his anchorage, dragged ashore with his anchor fouled on a crab pot,"

wow, bad luck anchoring... good luck for the filmmakers, there will be plenty of drama for the editors to choose from.
    I've been looking at anchors for Centennial, got to find out what type of anchor Howard has... and NEVER carry one.

Thanks for the up date, great to see the Southern Cross out there in her element, under full sail!

"was blown out of his anchorage, dragged ashore with his anchor fouled on a crab pot,"

wow, bad luck anchoring... good luck for the filmmakers, there will be plenty of drama for the editors to choose from.
    I've been looking at anchors for Centennial, got to find out what type of anchor Howard has... and NEVER carry one.

Thanks for the up date, great to see the Southern Cross out there in her element, under full sail!
    No anchor works when hooked on a crab pot, he's carrying two Northill anchors, one folding fisherman and a folding grapnel by the way, plus two screw type ground anchors.

I've just had a position report, he's made about 25 miles today, is now through the narrow part of the Magdalena Channel, is out where the mountains are lower and the winds more reliable.

John Welsford

Thanks for the update, John.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Must have been a handsome pot of tea to row 15 miles. Thanks for the updates.

EDIT; Feel the stress of old wiring and old fittings, but thankfull it all happened at a dock and not "out there". Good to hear your engine ok.
    Last edited by skaraborgcraft; 02-15-2017 at 03:10 AM.

He's had a good day today, about 25 miles or so, and is within 50 miles of the open Pacific. He'll be turning left ( thanks Dylan) and heading south when clear of the Magdalena Channel, staying largely inside the islands that shelter that coast from the endless waves that roll in from the southern ocean.

A recommendation for anyone contemplating adventuring in a small boat in cold water, Howard wears his Ocean Rodeo drysuit all the time other than when the boats securely anchored in a sheltered space. He's has had several hours in biting cold water on two occasions now and tells me that its a real lifesaver.
    https://oceanrodeo.com/drywear/marin...gnite/?b=50032

The weather looks as though he'll have perhaps three days of reasonably good winds, the low pressure that was threatening seems to have stalled and is weakening.

More detail coming on below40south.com.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Must have been a handsome pot of tea to row 15 miles. Thanks for the updates.

EDIT; Feel the stress of old wiring and old fittings, but thankfull it all happened at a dock and not "out there". Good to hear your engine ok.
    Thanks Ian. There was a tiny bit of water in there, but a quick ( hah, three hours) oil and filter change got that sorted.
    She's running fine.

John Welsford

My estimate on the weather may have been a bit optimistic, his track today shows that he's left the little inlet he spent last night in, and has spent quite a few hours tacking back and forth but has only made it about 2 miles westward. The "pings" from the beacon are very close together which is an indication of slow progress, but he's tucked in behind a rocky little island now, 5 pm, so I would not expect him to move again today.

John Welsford

John you must be pretty stoked that your little boat is performing so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    John you must be pretty stoked that your little boat is performing so well.
    Every time I've spoken to him he's said much the same thing, "John, I love this boat". I'm amazed at just what that rough sketch I did in response to Small Craft Advisor magazines query has become. Sail numbers way over 400, boats built worldwide, SCAMP camps teaching people how to build, the Red Lantern Rally with a long line of them pulled up to the beach and USA registerd national class. Now, sailing in waters where I never in my wildest dreams imagined that one of my boats, let alone SCAMP would ever go.

Stoked? You bet.

John Welsford

My estimate on the weather may have been a bit optimistic, his track today shows that he's left the little inlet he spent last night in, and has spent quite a few hours tacking back and forth but has only made it about 2 miles westward. The "pings" from the beacon are very close together which is an indication of slow progress, but he's tucked in behind a rocky little island now, 5 pm, so I would not expect him to move again today.

John Welsford
    is there anywhere we can go to see Howards "pings" or is there not a public page? I have spent a fair bit of time on google earth looking over his sailing grounds, starting from the Maritime Mueasum. What an incredible maelstrom of rock islands and outcroppings, layer up on layer of stone islands pushing seaward toward the cold southern ocean.

is there anywhere we can go to see Howards "pings" or is there not a public page? I have spent a fair bit of time on google earth looking over his sailing grounds, starting from the Maritime Mueasum. What an incredible maelstrom of rock islands and outcroppings, layer up on layer of stone islands pushing seaward toward the cold southern ocean.
    I've tried to download them, but the system is for named subscribers only and wont let me copy the track, so when I am able I look up the location on Maps, put a pin in and copy that.
    We've several updates waiting posting by our webmaster, should be up in a day or so.
    We're trying to speed up the postings so B40S is more up to date.

He's had a couple of very tough days, got blown out of another anchorage in the small hours of the morning, the heavy cover of kelp is making anchoring difficult, spent several hours sailing around in high winds and pitch dark using a torch to spot rocks, but has found a fishing boat haven and is tied up in sheltered waters, secure and comfortable, and having a long sleep.

John Welsford

the heavy cover of kelp is making anchoring difficult, spent several hours sailing around in high winds and pitch dark using a torch to spot rocks, but has found a fishing boat haven and is tied up in sheltered waters, secure and comfortable, and having a long sleep.
    Years ago I read a book by someone (I can't remember his name) who sailed through this whole area taking the same route in a small 14 fter back in the mid 1900's and he mentioned also about the anchoring problems due to kelp. Working his way from east to west through the straits, anchoring became more of a problem and also sailing itself, as one instance it was dead calm and the next ...40-50 kt winds.
    Overall, looks like he's having fun & hope it all works out for him. Top one
    Last edited by Mark Bowdidge; 02-16-2017 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post

If you zoom into the map, he's about where the capital "C" of Cockburn is, its a light weather day, and he's making good progress close in to the southern shore.
    Yes I can get maps up, but its the beacon tracking that the system wont allow me to copy.

Thanks for those pics Edward, the lower one in particular is a great view.

John Welsford

Try a screenshot John.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Try a screenshot John.
    Tried that Peter, even had some correspondence with Garmin and they tell me that its "subscribers only".
    I'll find a way around it.

Howards now at the eastern end of the Cockburn Channel, had a difficult day but no damage or injury, is in a reasonably sheltered spot for the night and all going well, the forecast being for light to moderate winds tomorrow, should make good progress.

John Welsford

You could take a photograph of the screen and post that. Bit old school but if it works... Be great to see the progress.

If you go upwards from the middle of the bottom of the photo, the 'channel' out running to the bottom right I think is the Cockburn Channel.

If the world had an end, it is here. Howard is there in a Scamp.

Atlantic ocean top left...Pacific ocean bottom right...Cape Horn is under the wispy parts of the cloud middle upper right.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 02-17-2017 at 05:49 AM.

Hope his balls don't go rusty. Seeing they must be cast iron.

Well said Phil !
    Grateful Dead

He's in a deep little inlet on the south side of the Cockburn Channel, about 15 miles from the open Pacific.

Alls well, apart from having real difficulty in anchoring in the heavy kelp. He's about to try putting a bouyed trip line on the crown of the big Northill to see if it comes up with less kelp hooked in it, he's been using his starboard side winch to lift the anchor to within range of the Spyderco knife thats been dedicated to that use.

John Welsford

There have been several bulletins uploaded to the site, beow40south.com.

We're having some issues with the commercial webmaster who's running the Below40South.com website, but there have been several reports uploaded.
    Hopefully we can get the problem sorted, he's agreed to supply me with instructions that will allow me to upload directly so there wont be such a delay.
    We're getting more recorded conversations and they'll be posted soon.

Howard is currently behind a little island right at the mouth of the Cockburn Channel, so is "officially" out in the Pacific, has had 24 hours rest, and the weather forecast is predicting northwest winds easing over the next two days. I'm expecting to see some progress, and hope to be able to post his position in a few hours when he switches the beacon on.

He's doing well, no damage, no injuries, plenty of food and water.

John Welsford

Thanks for the updates John. A couple of years ago I chased three of your Scamps into Carrington Bay where I later met Dale Simonson and a couple of his Scamp camp associates. I was mightily impressed by their performance and potential.

Howard is taking this quite a step beyond what I had imagined. Best of luck to all involved with this great story! / Jim

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    Thanks for the updates John. A couple of years ago I chased three of your Scamps into Carrington Bay where I later met Dale Simonson and a couple of his Scamp camp associates. I was mightily impressed by their performance and potential.

Howard is taking this quite a step beyond what I had imagined. Best of luck to all involved with this great story! / Jim
    Thanks Chas, as it happens Denny and I passed those three near Comox when we were heading back toward Victoria on the day they drove north to their launching point.

I've heard that they had a ball.

John Welsford

Here's his latest position.

S 54 33.0262' W 71 56.4937'

John Welsford