Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Cross

Default Re: Southern Cross

You go Howard. All the best. Your approach to it, and your voyage are inspiring to a lot of us. Looking forward to updates.

Good luck and bon voyage.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Yes indeed! Fair winds - well at least as fair as one can expect where you are!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Uppsala Sweden, by along narrow lake with fields and forests on th banks.

Howard, all the best and bon voyage. This whole venture is inspiring.
    Peter

I also wish you good weather and peace of mind, it seems you and your boat are well prepared so GO FOR IT!!

Greetings from wintery Germany,

Alan.

Have fun -- and see to your anchors!

All the very best Howard - fantastic adventure!

Rick

Bon Voyage, Howard!

Steven

Grit: you've got it!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Have fun -- and see to your anchors!
    Two Northill anchors Dave, big for the size of boat and rigged so they can be instantly deployed plus he has two smaller ones and a pair of screw type sand anchors for use on shore. He's got good brakes on that little ship!

John Welsford.
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

God speed to you, Howard. We look forward to hearing your tales in person some day after your return to Michigan.

Fair winds!

Howard, good luck!!! I will offer my rosary today for your safety.

I had an email from Howard this morning, the last piece of the jigsaw is in place now. He'd been awaiting a pair of Spyderco knives kindly donated by the company. In the rush to get Southern Cross in her crate and to the shipping company after several unexpected things had delayed his preparation, he'd been unable to fetch a gear box and his stores box to include it in the items being shipped, two knives being a part of what was left behind.

Sal and his crew shipped two knives at no cost, the freight cost far exceeding the cost of the knives themselves, and they arrived today.
    Coincidentally there was no wind today, it happens, and is often a sign that a big blow is imminent so its tomorrow am departure but only if the weather is right.

Another happy happening, is that our friend at the Armada de Chile Captain Herrera, Zone Commander and Port Captain was promoted at Christmas time, congratulations sir! We'd developed a good relationship with him and his senior officers which began during our February visit to Punta Arenas. Howard had gone to much trouble to keep the Armada informed as to his intentions and preparations which was very much appreciated by the authorities. To sail in this area requires a special permit and usually an inspection of the vessel, and its the Navy who do this.
    Howard has now met the new Zone Commander and his four senior officers, they very much appreciate the effort made to keep them informed and are going to go and look over "Southern Cross" today, not for a formal inspection but to satisfy their personal curiosity.
    They've also waived any fees involved should Howard require assistance, thats very unusual!

Here is a little quote from Howard about the knives.

The last piece of my voyaging puzzle is now in place.
    Thank you Spyderco, Sal Glesser, Joyce Laituri and Dave Scobie of Sage Marine. My life is blessed by so many friends.
    You buy the best and you get the best! I am just plain humbled."

John Welsford
    Below40South.com

Excellent knives too! A little Spyderco Ladybug is my everyday carry.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Thank you Howard for keeping alive the spirit of "the dreamers of the day". Good luck.

Thanks to all for your interest in my voyage.
    I'm on my way with todays afternoon high tide. Day one will be a challenge as late day winds are forecast at 40 knots. If all goes well I hope to make Pta Lenadura. Three months of supplies on board and a wilderness to explore.

If anyone is interested, beginning tomorrow you can view updates on the site "below40south.com" as I will be attempting to check in via satellite phone and Delorme and will do my best to help John and Dave make the film they envision.

I would like to thank the many friends who have made this voyage possible. I could not have done this without you and wouldn't have the opportunity to share the experience via film. I am inspired by your heart and humbled by your thoughtfulness. I am also honored to have such a fine relationship with the Armada de Chile. A fine well organized navy that has my best interest first and foremost in their minds. If sailors follow the simple Armada protocol then many possibilities exist for meaningful experiences. Thanks Gentlemen!

Ciao!

][/IMG]

Great photo. Have a good one. Enjoy it, and im sure many hope the cameras keep rolling so others can share your adventure.

All the best Howard.

Seems I have look in here just in time to read about your setting off. You obviously know what you are doing, who h has got to be the most important thing of all.

Updates from here on will most interesting, despite the fact that I know for sure I would not survive a swim in the cold water you are quite willingly planning to dive into.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugalong View Post
    All the best Howard.

Seems I have look in here just in time to read about your setting off. You obviously know what you are doing, who h has got to be the most important thing of all.

Updates from here on will most interesting, despite the fact that I know for sure I would not survive a swim in the cold water you are quite willingly planning to dive into.
    Howard has an extraordinary drysuit from Ocean Rodeo, its unlike any drysuit that Iv'e ever seen before, can be worn in reasonable comfort for days, and has both active and standby modes, the latter sealing off his bottom half and having the head, neck and front all connected up, rolled inside the front of the jacket and able to be pulled up and sealed in seconds.
    This is a seriously good piece of kit.

Thanks Ocean Rodeo for the product, and Small Craft Advisor magazine for donating it.
    https://oceanrodeo.com/drywear/sport.../soul/?b=50033

John Welsford

Howard has every piece of paper all completed, stores aboard, sails bent on and has been ready to go for the past three days.
    But, its neap tides in Punta Arenas right now, and he's been unable to get out over the bar of the little estuary, so when I spoke to him today he was about to unload the boat, has six big burly guys coming and they'll manhaul it across to the sea where he'll load her and will be off on the next tide.

At last.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Howard has an extraordinary drysuit from Ocean Rodeo, its unlike any drysuit that Iv'e ever seen before, can be worn in reasonable comfort for days, and has both active and standby modes, the latter sealing off his bottom half and having the head, neck and front all connected up, rolled inside the front of the jacket and able to be pulled up and sealed in seconds.
    This is a seriously good piece of kit.

Thanks Ocean Rodeo for the product, and Small Craft Advisor magazine for donating it.
    https://oceanrodeo.com/drywear/sport.../soul/?b=50033

John Welsford

Thanks John, that bit of kit sounds like being a lot better than a wetsuit, which is all I am familiar with for immersion in cold water. Finding one at Sally's is going to be a problem though. I'm imagining that getting into and out of the drysuit has got to be easier than a wetsuit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rice View Post
    To friends here and those whom I have not yet met.

Tomorrow in the early dawn I will set out on the high tide.

My time here is short and so I am taking this moment to say Thanks to all who have shared in my vision of sailing a small wooden boat south on the Strait of Magellan.

For the Woodenboat public record:
    I am not voyaging in an under 12 foot wooden boat to prove a point or discover anything other than in myself. I am simply curious about the region and my insignificant place in it. If there is an underlying mission then it is to communicate with kids via tracking and sat phone with updates as I voyage. For the past year I have been communicating with school kids and have found meaning in doing so. They are excited and each group now has a chart of the region and will be following my progress. Both John Welsford and I have been conducting live stream classroom sessions while he was here in Chile, which I will follow up with sat phone calls as I can.

I am quite intrigued by the challenge of managing a small boat here as I believe small does not necessarily equate with unfit or unsafe. A sound small boat in conservative hands can do some amazing things, it's all about patience. I am employing a specific voyaging strategy based on a previous small boat experience I had south of here that worked very nicely. I have built my small wooden boat for this endeavor because I believe it's smart. I can also field repair a wooden boat far more easily than one of other materials.

I do find it unfortunate that some label me an idiot, fool, self serving, a publicity hound or that they simply don't support me or what I am doing. I believe its the boat size that trips them up. Well I haven't asked for support and I happen to believe in small boats as mentioned. Naysayers will be naysayers, every initiative taken on in life has them. Dissenting opinion is important and if seen in a positive light can actually help make what we do stronger.

I have only been public about my plans to help the Dave Nichols/John Welsford film initiative. I am also shooting film and turning it over to them on my return, simple as that. I suppose going public means one must be ready for what comes with the territory of public scrutiny.

I have not asked for sponsorship yet at the same time I recognize how great it is that so much has been offered to me by those friends who perhaps see a grain of value in what I am doing or hope to make my voyage a little safer. I hope their lives are an iota richer because of this and I am thankful for each and every one of them.

Perhaps there is something of value in trying and even failing. I figure many folks just don't try. I may not get further than a mile out of Punta Arenas, who knows. The joy for me is in the doing and not the end result.

Big boat sailors voyaging in the remotest places on the planet are rarely labeled as stunt hounds. I just happen to believe that for this part of the world a small boat makes good sense. I may lack some creature comforts afforded by larger boats but I can also sleep well at night knowing I am tucked tight in a small cove or up on land somewhere and not hanging on hope at anchor as williwaws roar down out of the mountains.

There are many paths up the mountain of wisdom and freedom of expression. I respect them all as long as they are pure of heart and do not harm others. To each his own. I thank everyone here who has shown interest and perhaps gleaned even an ounce of inspiration from my little project.

Life is full of dangerous moments and risk. I believe the biggest risk of all is avoiding change and challenge. Frozen by fear many of us are not living out our dreams deferring them to someday. This is life and not a rehearsal, I figure it's best to get on with it, whatever our particular it is.

With respect to all from the SV Southern Cross.
    [IMG]

[/IMG]
    Explaining how the size of your most fine little boat allows for hauling onto the hard for rest, sounds like a very good reason for going small, rather than the small size being anything of a stunt. Here' s hoping that many people will gain useful knowledge and inspiration from what you are doing Howard....especially the young ones

Fair winds Howard, as others have already stated - you really are a terrific inspiration!!! I look forward to following your adventure.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Howard has every piece of paper all completed, stores aboard, sails bent on and has been ready to go for the past three days.
    But, its neap tides in Punta Arenas right now, and he's been unable to get out over the bar of the little estuary, so when I spoke to him today he was about to unload the boat, has six big burly guys coming and they'll manhaul it across to the sea where he'll load her and will be off on the next tide.

At last.

John Welsford
    hmmm wondering if he might use his equipment for dragging her ashore to drag her over the bar, does he have any fenders that could be used as rollers aboard? how about rigging the two shroud winches and a block and tackle to an anchor and dragging her out?... Just thinking out loud... especially since there isn't room for those 6 burly guys to sail with him for future haul outs

Bon Voyage, stay safe Howard .....and Happy Birthday !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    hmmm wondering if he might use his equipment for dragging her ashore to drag her over the bar, does he have any fenders that could be used as rollers aboard? how about rigging the two shroud winches and a block and tackle to an anchor and dragging her out?... Just thinking out loud... especially since there isn't room for those 6 burly guys to sail with him for future haul outs
    He has three of Duckworks excellent beach rollers, a big block and tackle, plus a comealong. But on his own he was not able to heave her up a 2 ft high shelf of very soft sand.
    So it was unload, heave ho with six men, note that four can carry the boat fairly easily when unloaded, and into the water on the other side.
    As I write he's anchored in the shallows of the beach with a fairly easy offshore wind, and will be loaded up and gone within an hour or two.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Lugalong View Post
    Thanks John, that bit of kit sounds like being a lot better than a wetsuit, which is all I am familiar with for immersion in cold water. Finding one at Sally's is going to be a problem though. I'm imagining that getting into and out of the drysuit has got to be easier than a wetsuit too.
    I've worn several wetsuits, two different drysuits and found all of them pretty uncomfortable after a few hours.
    The Ocean Rodeo one was a revelation, if you are serious I'd suggest that you contact them and ask all the questions that you can think of.

Yes they've helped with a special deal for this venture, and Small Craft Advisor has paid that deal, but I'd not wave their flag if I was not seriously impressed.
    There is one in my future.

John Welsford

He has three of Duckworks excellent beach rollers, a big block and tackle, plus a comealong. But on his own he was not able to heave her up a 2 ft high shelf of very soft sand.
    So it was unload, heave ho with six men, note that four can carry the boat fairly easily when unloaded, and into the water on the other side.
    As I write he's anchored in the shallows of the beach with a fairly easy offshore wind, and will be loaded up and gone within an hour or two.

John Welsford
    If he was truly stuck I'd bet Howard would find a way over the shelf of soft sand. But why would he do that when he has a better solution at hand in the form of willing assistance? He chose wisely. I'm sure he'll find the right solution to whatever he comes across over the rest of the voyage.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I heard from him by satellite phone last night my time, he's got his little ship up on the beach on his inflatable beach rollers waiting out a series of bad weather fronts. He needs three or four days of good weather to make it out to where he'll find the next really workable safe harbour.

He's in good spirits and doing ok.

John Welsford

I heard from him by satellite phone last night my time, he's got his little ship up on the beach on his inflatable beach rollers waiting out a series of bad weather fronts. He needs three or four days of good weather to make it out to where he'll find the next really workable safe harbour.

He's in good spirits and doing ok.

John Welsford
    exciting stuff! what was the final result of Howard's stove search? is he curled up in scamps "cabin" with a cup of coffee, good book and drift wood fire crackling in that little camping stove?

I have designed and built a tiny cast Iron stove for my reproduction of Centennial, 4.5 inches diameter and 14 inches tall... just doing a test burn with Anthricite as solid fuel in the side yard... the heat these tiny stoves can throw is astonishing.

He's well on his way, got really beaten up on the first day out, left the museo Nao Victoria about 4 pm hoping to get past the city before nightfall, remembering thats about 10 pm at this time of year. The wind swung south which was forecast, right on the nose, but it kicked up to 30 knots plus and created huge close spaced waves. The little SCAMP coped fine.

I'm tracking him now, he's about 25 miles or so south of Punta Arenas, had a good days sailing in light winds, is now stopped for the night behind a little sheltering sandbar that we noted on our drive down the coast from the town.

There will be reports covering the first two days on Below40South.com as soon as the webman can get them posted.

He didn't take the woodburner in the end, two reasons. One is that the "high" tent with the smokestack vent in it was not as good as it could be, and the other is that the low tent made by Matt at Cutwater Canvas is so good and so cozy in cold weather that Howard decided to leave the stove at home.

https://www.cutwatercanvas.com/scamp-products

He's carrying four Swedish white gas stoves, all the same so parts are interchangeable, and enough fuel to cook twice a day for four months.
    He anticipates having fires on shore now and again, perhaps in the fire rings that the indigenous people left there way back in the past.

By the way, although he's carrying coffee, I've got him converted to tea. Taught him how to make a proper cuppa, even with a teabag.

John Welsford

He's well on his way, got really beaten up on the first day out, left the museo Nao Victoria about 4 pm hoping to get past the city before nightfall, remembering thats about 10 pm at this time of year. The wind swung south which was forecast, right on the nose, but it kicked up to 30 knots plus and created huge close spaced waves. The little SCAMP coped fine.

I'm tracking him now, he's about 25 miles or so south of Punta Arenas, had a good days sailing in light winds, is now stopped for the night behind a little sheltering sandbar that we noted on our drive down the coast from the town.

There will be reports covering the first two days on Below40South.com as soon as the webman can get them posted.

He didn't take the woodburner in the end, two reasons. One is that the "high" tent with the smokestack vent in it was not as good as it could be, and the other is that the low tent made by Matt at Cutwater Canvas is so good and so cozy in cold weather that Howard decided to leave the stove at home.

https://www.cutwatercanvas.com/scamp-products

He's carrying four Swedish white gas stoves, all the same so parts are interchangeable, and enough fuel to cook twice a day for four months.
    He anticipates having fires on shore now and again, perhaps in the fire rings that the indigenous people left there way back in the past.

By the way, although he's carrying coffee, I've got him converted to tea. Taught him how to make a proper cuppa, even with a teabag.

John Welsford
    PS, between his Ipad, talking books and print books he's got a considerable library on board, including "War and Peace". Days when the weather is such that he cant move he's calling "War and Peace days".

J

Thanks John, the only descriptor is "epic "!
    Grateful Dead

Ha ha, tea convert! Have you Howard on the PG tips pyramid bags?