• Apr 2000

Re: Southern Cross

Have fun -- and see to your anchors!

Comment

• RFNK
      Port Stephens, Australia
      • Feb 2007

All the very best Howard - fantastic adventure!

Rick
      Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• StevenBauer
        LPBC member
        • Jan 2000

Bon Voyage, Howard!

Steven

Comment

• Breakaway
          • Mar 2007

Grit: you've got it!

Kevin
          There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• john welsford
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dave Hadfield
            Have fun -- and see to your anchors!
            Two Northill anchors Dave, big for the size of boat and rigged so they can be instantly deployed plus he has two smaller ones and a pair of screw type sand anchors for use on shore. He's got good brakes on that little ship!

John Welsford.
            An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Comment

• BobW
              • Aug 2008

God speed to you, Howard. We look forward to hearing your tales in person some day after your return to Michigan.

Comment

• Brian Palmer
                Amateur wood butcher
                • Sep 2003

Fair winds!

Comment

• peb
                  Papist and Texan
                  • Feb 2004

Howard, good luck!!! I will offer my rosary today for your safety.

Comment

• john welsford
                    • Sep 2002

I had an email from Howard this morning, the last piece of the jigsaw is in place now. He'd been awaiting a pair of Spyderco knives kindly donated by the company. In the rush to get Southern Cross in her crate and to the shipping company after several unexpected things had delayed his preparation, he'd been unable to fetch a gear box and his stores box to include it in the items being shipped, two knives being a part of what was left behind.

Sal and his crew shipped two knives at no cost, the freight cost far exceeding the cost of the knives themselves, and they arrived today.
                    Coincidentally there was no wind today, it happens, and is often a sign that a big blow is imminent so its tomorrow am departure but only if the weather is right.

Another happy happening, is that our friend at the Armada de Chile Captain Herrera, Zone Commander and Port Captain was promoted at Christmas time, congratulations sir! We'd developed a good relationship with him and his senior officers which began during our February visit to Punta Arenas. Howard had gone to much trouble to keep the Armada informed as to his intentions and preparations which was very much appreciated by the authorities. To sail in this area requires a special permit and usually an inspection of the vessel, and its the Navy who do this.
                    Howard has now met the new Zone Commander and his four senior officers, they very much appreciate the effort made to keep them informed and are going to go and look over "Southern Cross" today, not for a formal inspection but to satisfy their personal curiosity.
                    They've also waived any fees involved should Howard require assistance, thats very unusual!

Here is a little quote from Howard about the knives.

The last piece of my voyaging puzzle is now in place.
                    Thank you Spyderco, Sal Glesser, Joyce Laituri and Dave Scobie of Sage Marine. My life is blessed by so many friends.
                    You buy the best and you get the best! I am just plain humbled."

John Welsford
                    Below40South.com

Comment

• PeterSibley
                      • Dec 2001

Excellent knives too! A little Spyderco Ladybug is my everyday carry.
                      '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
                      Grateful Dead

Comment

• JDMH
                        • Aug 2010

Thank you Howard for keeping alive the spirit of "the dreamers of the day". Good luck.

Comment

• Howard Rice
                          • Dec 2003

Thanks to all for your interest in my voyage.
                          I'm on my way with todays afternoon high tide. Day one will be a challenge as late day winds are forecast at 40 knots. If all goes well I hope to make Pta Lenadura. Three months of supplies on board and a wilderness to explore.

If anyone is interested, beginning tomorrow you can view updates on the site "below40south.com" as I will be attempting to check in via satellite phone and Delorme and will do my best to help John and Dave make the film they envision.

I would like to thank the many friends who have made this voyage possible. I could not have done this without you and wouldn't have the opportunity to share the experience via film. I am inspired by your heart and humbled by your thoughtfulness. I am also honored to have such a fine relationship with the Armada de Chile. A fine well organized navy that has my best interest first and foremost in their minds. If sailors follow the simple Armada protocol then many possibilities exist for meaningful experiences. Thanks Gentlemen!

Ciao!

][/IMG]

Comment

• skaraborgcraft
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2010

Great photo. Have a good one. Enjoy it, and im sure many hope the cameras keep rolling so others can share your adventure.

Comment

• Lugalong
                              • Sep 2015

All the best Howard.

Seems I have look in here just in time to read about your setting off. You obviously know what you are doing, who h has got to be the most important thing of all.

Updates from here on will most interesting, despite the fact that I know for sure I would not survive a swim in the cold water you are quite willingly planning to dive into.

Comment

• john welsford
                                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Lugalong
                                All the best Howard.

Seems I have look in here just in time to read about your setting off. You obviously know what you are doing, who h has got to be the most important thing of all.

Updates from here on will most interesting, despite the fact that I know for sure I would not survive a swim in the cold water you are quite willingly planning to dive into.
                                Howard has an extraordinary drysuit from Ocean Rodeo, its unlike any drysuit that Iv'e ever seen before, can be worn in reasonable comfort for days, and has both active and standby modes, the latter sealing off his bottom half and having the head, neck and front all connected up, rolled inside the front of the jacket and able to be pulled up and sealed in seconds.
                                This is a seriously good piece of kit.

Thanks Ocean Rodeo for the product, and Small Craft Advisor magazine for donating it.

John Welsford

Comment

Working...