Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 456 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Cross

Default Re: Southern Cross

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Try a screenshot John.
    Tried that Peter, even had some correspondence with Garmin and they tell me that its "subscribers only".
    I'll find a way around it.

Howards now at the eastern end of the Cockburn Channel, had a difficult day but no damage or injury, is in a reasonably sheltered spot for the night and all going well, the forecast being for light to moderate winds tomorrow, should make good progress.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

You could take a photograph of the screen and post that. Bit old school but if it works... Be great to see the progress.

If you go upwards from the middle of the bottom of the photo, the 'channel' out running to the bottom right I think is the Cockburn Channel.

If the world had an end, it is here. Howard is there in a Scamp.

Atlantic ocean top left...Pacific ocean bottom right...Cape Horn is under the wispy parts of the cloud middle upper right.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 02-17-2017 at 04:49 AM.

Hope his balls don't go rusty. Seeing they must be cast iron.

Well said Phil !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

He's in a deep little inlet on the south side of the Cockburn Channel, about 15 miles from the open Pacific.

Alls well, apart from having real difficulty in anchoring in the heavy kelp. He's about to try putting a bouyed trip line on the crown of the big Northill to see if it comes up with less kelp hooked in it, he's been using his starboard side winch to lift the anchor to within range of the Spyderco knife thats been dedicated to that use.

John Welsford

There have been several bulletins uploaded to the site, beow40south.com.

We're having some issues with the commercial webmaster who's running the Below40South.com website, but there have been several reports uploaded.
    Hopefully we can get the problem sorted, he's agreed to supply me with instructions that will allow me to upload directly so there wont be such a delay.
    We're getting more recorded conversations and they'll be posted soon.

Howard is currently behind a little island right at the mouth of the Cockburn Channel, so is "officially" out in the Pacific, has had 24 hours rest, and the weather forecast is predicting northwest winds easing over the next two days. I'm expecting to see some progress, and hope to be able to post his position in a few hours when he switches the beacon on.

He's doing well, no damage, no injuries, plenty of food and water.

John Welsford

Thanks for the updates John. A couple of years ago I chased three of your Scamps into Carrington Bay where I later met Dale Simonson and a couple of his Scamp camp associates. I was mightily impressed by their performance and potential.

Howard is taking this quite a step beyond what I had imagined. Best of luck to all involved with this great story! / Jim

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    Thanks for the updates John. A couple of years ago I chased three of your Scamps into Carrington Bay where I later met Dale Simonson and a couple of his Scamp camp associates. I was mightily impressed by their performance and potential.

Howard is taking this quite a step beyond what I had imagined. Best of luck to all involved with this great story! / Jim
    Thanks Chas, as it happens Denny and I passed those three near Comox when we were heading back toward Victoria on the day they drove north to their launching point.

I've heard that they had a ball.

John Welsford

Here's his latest position.

S 54 33.0262' W 71 56.4937'

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Here's his latest position.

S 54 33.0262' W 71 56.4937'

John Welsford
    The kids will enjoy finding him with these. Thanks for the updates, and send wishes if you can.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    The kids will enjoy finding him with these. Thanks for the updates, and send wishes if you can.

Peace,
    Robert
    Howard must be close enough to smell the Pacific at this point! he was 15 miles away a few days ago... looking forward to that Left hand turn and seeing the Lat#s begin ticking down to 40" South!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Howard must be close enough to smell the Pacific at this point! he was 15 miles away a few days ago... looking forward to that Left hand turn and seeing the Lat#s begin ticking down to 40" South!
    Up dates here.

http://below40south.com/progress-report-number-6/

That appears to be two weeks old, Daniel. Is there this delay in a website tracking his progress? / Jim

there is an update on the 20 . loaded earlier ok

http://below40south.com/a-vision-edu...without-walls/

I was thinking more in terms of lat/longitude, rather than attitude. Tks for the update. / Jim

Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    recent update here on the 25th about hunkering down for 4 days under the boat cover with Scamp pelted by rain and sleet and buffeted by williwaw type high winds.

http://below40south.com/howard-rice/

Southern Cross possibly lost http://smallcraftadvisor.com/our-blog/?p=4827

Thanks for posting. At least Howard is alright, That's the main thing.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Hopefully return and salvage her.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Oh Man, very sad. Thankfully Howard is ok...

It is sad indeed.

The fact that Howard was washed up on a very remote shore, with only what was on his body, I am presuming. And still able to call for help and signal the rescue vessel with a flare. Is a testament to his meticulous safety protocol.

He is an inspiration and a great example of how to adventure.

Wow--very glad Howard is ok. I feared the worst when I started reading the update. Losing the boat is tough, but losing Howard would be far worse.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt young View Post
    It is sad indeed.

The fact that Howard was washed up on a very remote shore, with only what was on his body, I am presuming. And still able to call for help and signal the rescue vessel with a flare. Is a testament to his meticulous safety protocol.

He is an inspiration and a great example of how to adventure.
    Well said! A great example of how a bit of forethought and planning can save you from disaster. An inspiration indeed!

Rick

Sad to hear the bad news. Wishing Howard continuing good health and good luck with the recovery of Southern Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Hopefully return and salvage her.
    So true! lets hope Howard is able to get things sorted and continue his voyage in short order! and that his video gear is still in good working order. Very windy here in Eastern Ma today, wind ominously roaring in the trees, makes me consider the trans-Atlantic seaworthyness of my own little short ship still building in the shop... wondering how Centennial will fare in these extreme conditions.

Scamp "Southern Cross" in happier times.

First I am glad that the man is OK, the boat is not important. But I do have some reservations about the whole concept of the journey. There is a degree of naivete I feel among some aficionados of small open/semi open boats, that somehow the right design sailed well will overcome all that the sea can throw in their path. I will be the first to celebrate SC's success but I am not surprised at all that a disaster occurred. It's a very tough place and a very small and slow boat that's also suffering the challenges of being single handed. An ocean crossing such as successfully achieved by "fathers day" is probably easier in many respects. No williwaws, not strong currents or kelp, tidal gates, rocks etc.

I think small boats adventurers need to think very carefully before proceeding in that area. Was SC's demise inevitable given the circumstances?
    whatever rocks your boat

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    First I am glad that the man is OK, the boat is not important. But I do have some reservations about the whole concept of the journey. There is a degree of naivete I feel among some aficionados of small open/semi open boats, that somehow the right design sailed well will overcome all that the sea can throw in their path. I will be the first to celebrate SC's success but I am not surprised at all that a disaster occurred. It's a very tough place and a very small and slow boat that's also suffering the challenges of being single handed. An ocean crossing such as successfully achieved by "fathers day" is probably easier in many respects. No williwaws, not strong currents or kelp, tidal gates, rocks etc.

I think small boats adventurers need to think very carefully before proceeding in that area. Was SC's demise inevitable given the circumstances?
    Far too early for this. Let's wait and hear from Howard before we do this sort of long-distance speculation.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post

Plus 1000!

I wonder why a highly experienced man would undertake the trip? Maybe it simply shows that experience doesn't necessarily preclude undertaking highly risky endeavors.

I am glad he is OK and will be OK.

Howard's experience reminds me of the old adage that no war plan survives the war. Here it seems that despite his considerable experience and preparation, just one unforeseen situation, thick kelp beds, screwed the pooch. The problem for me with these micro cruisers is that they do not have the speed or mass to get out of trouble. Had he not had those kelp beds to deal with it is possible that he would still be on his voyage, but the blog describes what are truly harrowing conditions and frankly it may be that he simply shouldn't have been there at this time of year.

Once he gets a chance to regain his bearings and reflect a bit, his debrief will be very valuable.

Again, very glad that he is safe, and I regret how his voyage ended.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

There is a new post on the Below 40 South website

http://below40south.com/progress-report-7/

I recently had a conversation with a skipper of a 47 foot steel ketch about a trip coming down our West coast, great weather for the duration then as they approached the Cook Straight a 60 knot fast moving front sprung up. Sparing you the details, this was a fully crewed capable boat that has a cockpit covered in spew from seasickness, 40 foot breaking waves, broaches, a helm that needed 100% concentration as they ran for cover, crewmen who literally went crazy and had to be restrained as they tried repeatedly to step of the boat in fear and disorientation. Not pretty, do I think an 11 foot ballasted single hander would survive? I do not unless luck played a huge part. Reading about the James Caird does not mean you can repeat that feat easily if at all, perhaps SC's plan was to hop from bay to bay in sheltered water in which case there was a serious information lacking about the conditions at the planning stage. It will be a great story when we hear it and I hope he gets the cameras back.
    whatever rocks your boat

Quote Originally Posted by David Nichols View Post
    There is a new post on the Below 40 South website

http://below40south.com/progress-report-7/
    WOW! all things considered things could have been FAR worse. lets hope the salvage operation is a complete success.