Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 152

Thread: Southern Cross

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Southern Cross

    Hello WoodenBoat Friends
    Thought it time to update with a few photos of my boat.
    Pt Hudson Marina, Port Townsend. Living aboard an 11' 11" micro cruiser. One of the few sunny moments I had during PT based sea trials. Good wind, too much rain. The wind was what I was looking fr, a few days of rain to test the two tents would have been enough. As it was it rained much of the time I was there, which was bad but i the end good as I was able to experience the final low profile, no bow (survival) tent (in the photo) and the larger lighter wind tent. Bone dry for days.
    [IMG][/IMG]

    Gear less food and a few other items.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Photo above by Deb Colvin
    The boat sailed really well.

    More photos shortly.

    Today and tomorrow are load the boat into the shipping crate days. Southern Cross departs for Chile on Tuesday.
    Last edited by Howard Rice; 11-16-2016 at 06:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    845

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Looking good Howard!

    It was one of the rainiest Octobers on record here in Victoria just across the Straits - I can sympathize.

    Did the boat perform as expected with all that gear aboard?

    You must have a mixture of excitement and trepidation right now.

    Good luck!
    Alex

    "A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    11,806

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Thanks for the update, Howard. Bon voyage!

    Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    Looking good Howard!

    It was one of the rainiest Octobers on record here in Victoria just across the Straits - I can sympathize.

    Did the boat perform as expected with all that gear aboard?

    You must have a mixture of excitement and trepidation right now.

    Good luck!
    Heres the skinny on what I learned from the abbreviated sea trials conducted in the pac NW.
    1. Having sailed many SCAMP's I feel I have an eye for how the boat should perform. Southern Cross sailed alongside another SCAMP for a couple of days and the conclusion was about the same speed down wind but Southern Cross excelled upwind. The boat had a load aboard (guessing 80% of the actual load I will carry and the other SCAMP had a day sailing load of gear, so SC was heavier) and was impressed at just how stable the boat is loaded, how she carries her way, how she responds to the helm, speed (ha ha;-) with a 10ft waterline), etc.

    2. I wasn't able to conduct capsize tests and will do that in Chile.

    3. Living aboard worked, now I just have to get the storage system down. How many of us have lost gear on tiny boats.................me! Only to find it after a voyage. The boat was warm, comfortable (fully padded with cushions to keep me from injuries) and dry.

    I will try to get some photos up of the loading, which happens today. Hope it all works, the truck comes tomorrow.

    Excitement and trepidation.? Have had both for some months now. I have to admit I am not as prepared (physical training) as I would have liked and have not had the time in the boat I wanted but thats life for the unsponsored/self funded sailor. I will march to my own drummer and set sail from Punta Arenas when ready, not an ounce of slapdash in my bones. Boat arrives in Punta Arenas on Dec 15th. Thinking I may set sail south on Dec 26th after experiencing my 2nd Christmas in Chile. I travel on Dec 3rd to do provision purchasing in Chile, film crew comes in a few days later.

    More than anything what I need to be truly ready is hours on hours rowing, test sailing and reefing etc, all doable in Chile.

    Thank you for your interest.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sweden,Scilly Isles, Siberia
    Posts
    7,031

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Excellent. Had to join Duck Works FB page to see those great photos, im not one for extended media, but have to go with the flow of changing times. Im wondering how your water ballast ratio is decreasing as you load up, but due to her shape, looks to remain bouyant. Look forward to further testing down South. Thanks for sharing here too!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Shore, Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,364

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Congrats Howard!

    a capable little short ship.
    Any interior shots of gear stowage and sleeping accomodations under the tents? how did the little stove and stack work? must have been a welcome bit o warmth in the damp dank PNW.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Hyannis, MA, USA
    Posts
    40,509

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Well thought out self-sustaining adventure of the first order.

    G'luck

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    3,330

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Howard,

    Thanks for checking in with us on WoodenBoat forum. There's a whole bunch of us folks pulling for you and wishing you the very best on your great adventure. Southern Cross is looking fantastic! Well, I've already got in trouble this week for slapping John Harris on the back for his excellent recent work on his nanocruisers. Somehow it irritates some folks when you congratulate other folks for a job well done. Anyway, at the risk of more back slapping accusations, I think you've done a heck of a job getting Southern Cross ready. I especially like that low profile tent. That sucker is sure gonna come in handy.

    Keep those cameras working. We want to see where you've been. My worst failure at the Texas 200 was losing my camera. I know you have backups so you should be alright there.

    What's the best link for keeping track of your voyage?

    All the best,
    Ken

    p.s. Don't forget the ducktape!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,135

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Well done!!! Many of us are pulling for you.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Waterbury, Connecticut
    Posts
    1,853

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Really looking forward from afar to your adventure! -- Wade

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,341

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    This is a fantastic trip. Best of luck!
    -Dave

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BC Coast
    Posts
    3,194

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Looks really good Howard. Probably your speed to windward is due to the boat being a little stiffer with the load. I'll be with you in spirit at least, and I don't complain about the food or take up much space.
    Good luck!!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    22,934

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Buon viaggio, Howard. Keep us posted.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

    RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    19,112

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    I'll be with you in spirit at least, and I don't complain about the food or take up much space.
    Good luck!!!
    I'll be with you in spirit too. I also guarantee good weather and downwind sailing. Stay within the boundaries of the boat.

    Yammerschooner

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Film maker Dave Nichols shot this in Port Townsend a couple of weeks ago. I know some folks here are interested in the rig I have built and other elements of the boat so here is a chance to see Southern Cross sailing. So far the proof of concept stage of testing is thumbs up, she performs well for all of her short little waterline. My experience aboard haste believing the boat will be able to handle a wide range of conditions if I am up to the task.
    SCAMP's are interesting little boats and unique from a number pf perspectives. I chose the boat for a variety of reasons, one of which is actually the pram bow. I do prefer a sexy pointed bow in general but in this case the pram works well and I am all about form/function.
    https://youtu.be/DVIfiwAFiuo
    Last edited by Howard Rice; 11-15-2016 at 03:56 AM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    14,391

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Looking fantastic Howard! All the best!!

    Rick

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    5,244

    Default

    Fair winds Howard. Go well and enjoy it. Looking forward to following along from here.

    sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Shore, Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,364

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rice View Post
    Film maker Dave Nichols shot this in Port Townsend a couple of weeks ago. I know some folks here are interested in the rig I have built and other elements of the boat so here is a chance to see Southern Cross sailing. So far the proof of concept stage of testing is thumbs up, she performs well for all of her short little waterline. My experience aboard haste believing the boat will be able to handle a wide range of conditions if I am up to the task.
    SCAMP's are interesting little boats and unique from a number pf perspectives. I chose the boat for a variety of reasons, one of which is actually the pram bow. I do prefer a sexy pointed bow in general but in this case the pram works well and I am all about form/function.
    https://youtu.be/DVIfiwAFiuo
    nice video I'm hoping your going to be wearing a teather/saftey line while sailing... especially Hiking out?! cant wait to see the images and hear the stories start to come back.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    4,439

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Howard,
    Man. Have a marvelous time. Gosh, I truly do envy you this marvelous journey. Maybe not the Herculean amount of work it's taken...

    In no way do I want to sound trite, or demeaning, but your Southern Cross is just adorable. Just so many little things to appreciate in the mods and prep work for this spectacular trip. Somehow your little ship looks larger, more robust, and more serious than a plain Jane SCAMP, which is as it should be, I suppose.
    Either way, I appreciate all the thought and experience and effort that has gone into this trip. Just in the boat alone!

    You do have carpet tacks, right?

    Wishing you all the best, and anxious to read the account, later, in full, in some neat little book you wrote about the whole trip.

    Peace,
    Robert

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    3,306

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Howard,
    Man. Have a marvelous time. Gosh, I truly do envy you this marvelous journey. Maybe not the Herculean amount of work it's taken...

    In no way do I want to sound trite, or demeaning, but your Southern Cross is just adorable. Just so many little things to appreciate in the mods and prep work for this spectacular trip. Somehow your little ship looks larger, more robust, and more serious than a plain Jane SCAMP, which is as it should be, I suppose.
    Either way, I appreciate all the thought and experience and effort that has gone into this trip. Just in the boat alone!

    You do have carpet tacks, right?

    Wishing you all the best, and anxious to read the account, later, in full, in some neat little book you wrote about the whole trip.

    Peace,
    Robert
    I dont think he'll need carpet tacks but he will have a woodstove on board, that is after all, Tierra del Fuego, the land of fires.

    John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    A few additional photos of my boat, which shipped out today. She is on her way to the Strait of Magellan all 11' 11" strapping feet of her;-)

    The photo below is of the dry floor concept I have developed for the boat, one in a long line of similar floors I have utilized in my sailing canoes and other micro cruisers. I have used a number of floors through the years and this one is the best to date. Having it allows me to set up my tent in the rain or with a wet cockpit and have a dry floor to sleep on. Very nice material, thin, tough and waterproof.
    [IMG][

    My pal Simeon Baldwin helping me fit the new dry floor for the first time. I am carrying two of these so I always have a chance at a dry floor given days of inclement weather. Should both floors become really wet I have a tried and true solution for that too. The wood stove should really help dry out the boat and me.
    [IMG][
    A chilly wet morning after a night aboard. I was warm and dry in spite of driving rain. This is my high wind tent low profile no bow tent, worked great.
    [IMG]

    Full dress at the dock
    [IMG][

    A close up of the genoa and staysail or spitfire jib deployment, retrieval, hoist and strike system, all done from the cockpit. Both the spitfire jib (staysail) and the genoa have their own furler, which also deploys when the sails are run forward. Starboard captive chock is for the forward deployed anchor and the port captive chock is part of the sea anchor set up (not rigged in this photo).
    [IMG]

    Southern Cross as a defecto tiny trailer. On the road trip to Port Townsend I drove through Idaho and spent a few nights high up in the mountains. This photo is the morning after a night by the Salmon up in the Sawtooth range. It got down to 22F and a good test of not the low profile tent but the road cover tent. Worked great. I spent several nights aboard while traveling. This photo was taken one very crisp cold morning.
    [/IMG]
    Last edited by Howard Rice; 11-15-2016 at 08:24 PM.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    Looking good Howard!

    It was one of the rainiest Octobers on record here in Victoria just across the Straits - I can sympathize.

    ***It was all that and much more. I didn't really want a rain test as much as high winds.

    Did the boat perform as expected with all that gear aboard?

    ***Yes. I sailed her with I am guessing a 70% payload, food and water were not on board. The more I load her the more stable and predictable she becomes.

    You must have a mixture of excitement and trepidation right now.

    ***Yes. I am excited as today the boat shipped to Chile, game on. Trepidation, yes. But no worries on the other hand. I have chosen to fund this out of pocket (w/o sponsorships) and so I am not beholding to anyone and put in a corner of having to do something that is unreasonable or unsafe. The voyage is simple, I am pointing south from Punta Arenas and anything from there is a success in my mind. The really tough piece of the voyage is the first 1/4, I am not at all sure I can get out to the Southern Ocean through what is known as the Milky Way, a place that has defeated more than one sailor. We'll see.

    Good luck!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Well done!!! Many of us are pulling for you.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Thank you Wade!
    Quote Originally Posted by wtarzia View Post
    Really looking forward from afar to your adventure! -- Wade

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    4,439

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    I dont think he'll need carpet tacks but he will have a woodstove on board, that is after all, Tierra del Fuego, the land of fires.

    John Welsford
    Oh, that was always one of my favorite parts about Slocum's book, the carpet tacks on the deck at night. Same neck of the woods, and all.

    That dry floor deal is slick. When I sleep under a tent in an open boat, I always use a simple soft hammock stored in a,dry bag and slung between two hard points, so I always have a dryinsh place to sleep, that's at least out of the bilge with all the foot water, apple cores, and rain or spray.

    I really enjoy all the pictures. Please post more, if you can during trials and before launch.

    Peace,
    Robert

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Thanks Dave
    I hope for a good experience. I am not sure this is a "fantastic trip" as it doesn't have the cache of an ocean crossing. I reckon it doesn't count for much other than as I see it, a complex set of daily problems in need of solving, some of the problems are simply dangerous and must be approached with a solid strategy in place. In my mind sailing through Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego out into the Southern Ocean is in many or most respects far more challenging and absolutely far more dangerous than an ocean crossing. I am treating this voyage much like a high mountain climb with approach, ascent and the critical descent, where most mountaineers get into trouble. This is going to be interesting. I plan to sail conservatively and with great patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    This is a fantastic trip. Best of luck!

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Yes she is stiff loaded and felt just as I expected, very little quick movement, solid.
    Thanks for your interest. I hope to report back that I had the most boring, light air voyage possible..........eerr right.
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    Looks really good Howard. Probably your speed to windward is due to the boat being a little stiffer with the load. I'll be with you in spirit at least, and I don't complain about the food or take up much space.
    Good luck!!!

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Nice, perfect quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Buon viaggio, Howard. Keep us posted.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    The last piece of your post is exactly where I am at. Well put!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    I'll be with you in spirit too. I also guarantee good weather and downwind sailing. Stay within the boundaries of the boat.

    Yammerschooner

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Daniel
    Thanks
    Sorry to say I haven't shot many of down below but will once in Chile. I think John Welsford and another person may be keeping folks up to date with photo and report posts from Chile before I set sail.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Congrats Howard!

    a capable little short ship.
    Any interior shots of gear stowage and sleeping accomodations under the tents? how did the little stove and stack work? must have been a welcome bit o warmth in the damp dank PNW.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Yep she is short
    I didnt test the stove during sea trials. I have tested the stove and have a few wrinkles to sort out in Chile. I can report from previous tests that it makes for one toasty open boat set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Congrats Howard!

    a capable little short ship.
    Any interior shots of gear stowage and sleeping accomodations under the tents? how did the little stove and stack work? must have been a welcome bit o warmth in the damp dank PNW.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Thanks Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Looking fantastic Howard! All the best!!

    Rick

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    57,855

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    We all watch in mild amazement Howard! All the very best in all your ventures, this one particularly.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Hey Peter.
    Thanks. Today was a big day, the boat departed Miami aboard ship. What a process to get to this stage I need some sleep................Perhaps a word of advice............instead of watching with mild amazement perhaps watch with mild humor at the nut case going south in an 11' 11" boat!

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    We all watch in mild amazement Howard! All the very best in all your ventures, this one particularly.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    845

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Looking really good Howard!

    I am half in awe, half in envy of your trip. Makes our 300 mile jaunt up the coast of Vancouver Island this summer look like a day outing.

    All the best.
    Alex

    "A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sweden,Scilly Isles, Siberia
    Posts
    7,031

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    The devil is in the detail......and looking at Southern Cross shows the details have been well and truly thought of..... "dry floor concept"...say no more ( didnt see any shag-pile carpet though).

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    9,337

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    I've been reading Sir Francis Chichesters autobiography. Doing hard stuff alone, just because. I can't say I understand it, but I think I have a sort of grudging admiration. Which I guess means I think you are slightly crazy but would not for a moment discourage you, and certainly wish you the very best.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sweden,Scilly Isles, Siberia
    Posts
    7,031

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I've been reading Sir Francis Chichesters autobiography. Doing hard stuff alone, just because. I can't say I understand it, but I think I have a sort of grudging admiration. Which I guess means I think you are slightly crazy but would not for a moment discourage you, and certainly wish you the very best.
    I think even the "slightly crazy" wouldnt have the focus for the tiny details. I see a well executed mission being planned by a man who will do what he feels best when he feels like it, and not dictated to by any outside pressure.....usually makes for "boring" adventure. Not to say the majority would not agree with your words though if given the facts of Patagonia and a boat under 12ft!

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Hey Rob
    Slocums book is excellent. Embarrassed to say I have just read it for the first time as part of my research for the voyage. I am going for a number of reasons paramount of which is to dig deeper into the lives and history of the Yaghan people. Sadly they are gone now but the remnants of where they lived for thousands of years (village and camp sites, etc) are scattered throughout the region and many of these have not been seen by modern man (those in the SW islands) and I hope to stay in these places and document them. Slocum got into serious trouble headed into the "Milky Way" (the SW islands), this is where I want to sail and explore. The voyage may not have much cache to some but to me it may be the most dangerous place to sail any where. The route I am going to take is fraught with challenges and dangers and the first 1/4 of the voyage is by far the most difficult second only to the Wollastons and Cape Horn but it is a neck and neck second.

    In PT last month a nice sailing couple (circumnavigators) came to see my boat as I derived after sailing and they told me of a recent mishap in the SW islands, they were not sure but said a very famous sailor was just lost there...............he was in a big boat the antithesis of my strategy.

    I have always had a tough time sleeping in hammocks but a great idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Oh, that was always one of my favorite parts about Slocum's book, the carpet tacks on the deck at night. Same neck of the woods, and all.

    That dry floor deal is slick. When I sleep under a tent in an open boat, I always use a simple soft hammock stored in a,dry bag and slung between two hard points, so I always have a dryinsh place to sleep, that's at least out of the bilge with all the foot water, apple cores, and rain or spray.

    I really enjoy all the pictures. Please post more, if you can during trials and before launch.

    Peace,
    Robert

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Re: The shag carpet. I would have gone shag but couldn't find that lovely mid 1960's pea green color. Dang.
    Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    The devil is in the detail......and looking at Southern Cross shows the details have been well and truly thought of..... "dry floor concept"...say no more ( didnt see any shag-pile carpet though).

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    300 mile jaunt, very cool. I would love to do that particular Vancouver trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    Looking really good Howard!

    I am half in awe, half in envy of your trip. Makes our 300 mile jaunt up the coast of Vancouver Island this summer look like a day outing.

    All the best.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sweden,Scilly Isles, Siberia
    Posts
    7,031

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rice View Post
    Re: The shag carpet. I would have gone shag but couldn't find that lovely mid 1960's pea green color. Dang.
    I was thinking more like 70's burnt-terracotta-orange....something warm looking might be a bit more pshychologically (sp) important down those cold parts.....would blend with your colour scheme....

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    13,772

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    I'm following along, too, from the coast of Maine. How did I miss the info on your woodstove? Which stove is it and what are you using for fuel?


    Steven

  44. #44

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Good Luck Howard - though, no, as you indicate best not to have to rely on (dumb) luck - but make your own - which I see you doing in spades!
    I hope somebody gets some good shots as you put Southern Cross to the test in expedition trim. I imagine a swamped boat battling the sorts of seas you mention in your first adventure all those years ago .....
    Hey! I am not wishing that upon you - I too would hope you have a safe and idyllic trip (and bring to the wider world some insight into the Yaghan people who perhaps have received unfair treatment at the hands of history)- and that good management and good judgement stand you in good stead in all your endeavours.
    Buon viaggio then,
    from frank

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Shore, Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,364

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    I'm following along, too, from the coast of Maine. How did I miss the info on your woodstove? Which stove is it and what are you using for fuel?


    Steven
    it's a very cool... or maybe hot , Stainless steel? advertised as a "back packing stove", designed to burn wood... there's lots of info in a thread some where here...

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    4,439

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rice View Post
    Hey Rob
    Slocums book is excellent. Embarrassed to say I have just read it for the first time as part of my research for the voyage. I am going for a number of reasons paramount of which is to dig deeper into the lives and history of the Yaghan people. Sadly they are gone now but the remnants of where they lived for thousands of years (village and camp sites, etc) are scattered throughout the region and many of these have not been seen by modern man (those in the SW islands) and I hope to stay in these places and document them. Slocum got into serious trouble headed into the "Milky Way" (the SW islands), this is where I want to sail and explore. The voyage may not have much cache to some but to me it may be the most dangerous place to sail any where. The route I am going to take is fraught with challenges and dangers and the first 1/4 of the voyage is by far the most difficult second only to the Wollastons and Cape Horn but it is a neck and neck second.

    In PT last month a nice sailing couple (circumnavigators) came to see my boat as I derived after sailing and they told me of a recent mishap in the SW islands, they were not sure but said a very famous sailor was just lost there...............he was in a big boat the antithesis of my strategy.

    I have always had a tough time sleeping in hammocks but a great idea.
    Howard,
    I'm even more excited for you now. I have always been fascinated by all the Americans, but the Yaghans are one of the most unique.
    Just imagine being down there and seeing some half naked cats in canoes... Or being in such a "deserted" place, and finding yourself surrounded by fires...

    I will certainly not argue that you are sailing into one of, if not THE gnarliest place on earth. However, I know you are an adventurer, a modern day explorer type, and not a stunt man.

    I hope you have a fantastic summer.

    Peace,
    Robert

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    18

    Thumbs up Re: Southern Cross

    Hi Howard, sounds that the narrative point of view will change from the first-person to the third-person soon. All the best for your voyage! I hope Southern Cross takes good care of you and brings you back safely.

    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rice View Post
    I think John Welsford and another person may be keeping folks up to date with photo and report posts from Chile before I set sail.

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Thanks Ian
    I chose small because I can man handle her onto land (with some work) and I can work hard to sail her flat with my weight as moveable ballast. Southern across also draws inches (board up) and will go to weather quite nicely on her skegs. Good for poking the shallows when seeing protection, beaching, etc

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Schleswig Holstein Germany
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Thumps up Howard! Southern Cross looks awesome man!
    I hope all the gods will keep an eye on you and send you manageable weather and helping currents.
    Good luck on you.
    Best wishes and save travels
    Max

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pohnpei, Micronesia and Michigan, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Southern Cross

    Hi Max.
    Thank you. I plan to be as careful and conservative as I can be. If I am able I am going to have the chance to explore one of those last untrodden places on the planet, much of which has likely never seen the foot of man. We'll see!
    Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max F View Post
    Thumps up Howard! Southern Cross looks awesome man!
    I hope all the gods will keep an eye on you and send you manageable weather and helping currents.
    Good luck on you.
    Best wishes and save travels
    Max

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •