Page 1 of 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Cross

Default Southern Cross

Hello WoodenBoat Friends
    Thought it time to update with a few photos of my boat.
    Pt Hudson Marina, Port Townsend. Living aboard an 11' 11" micro cruiser. One of the few sunny moments I had during PT based sea trials. Good wind, too much rain. The wind was what I was looking fr, a few days of rain to test the two tents would have been enough. As it was it rained much of the time I was there, which was bad but i the end good as I was able to experience the final low profile, no bow (survival) tent (in the photo) and the larger lighter wind tent. Bone dry for days.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Gear less food and a few other items.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Photo above by Deb Colvin
    The boat sailed really well.

More photos shortly.

Today and tomorrow are load the boat into the shipping crate days. Southern Cross departs for Chile on Tuesday.
    Last edited by Howard Rice; 11-16-2016 at 06:42 PM.

Default Re: Southern Cross

Looking good Howard!

It was one of the rainiest Octobers on record here in Victoria just across the Straits - I can sympathize.

Did the boat perform as expected with all that gear aboard?

You must have a mixture of excitement and trepidation right now.

Good luck!
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Thanks for the update, Howard. Bon voyage!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    Looking good Howard!

It was one of the rainiest Octobers on record here in Victoria just across the Straits - I can sympathize.

Good luck!
    Heres the skinny on what I learned from the abbreviated sea trials conducted in the pac NW.
    1. Having sailed many SCAMP's I feel I have an eye for how the boat should perform. Southern Cross sailed alongside another SCAMP for a couple of days and the conclusion was about the same speed down wind but Southern Cross excelled upwind. The boat had a load aboard (guessing 80% of the actual load I will carry and the other SCAMP had a day sailing load of gear, so SC was heavier) and was impressed at just how stable the boat is loaded, how she carries her way, how she responds to the helm, speed (ha ha;-) with a 10ft waterline), etc.

2. I wasn't able to conduct capsize tests and will do that in Chile.

3. Living aboard worked, now I just have to get the storage system down. How many of us have lost gear on tiny boats.................me! Only to find it after a voyage. The boat was warm, comfortable (fully padded with cushions to keep me from injuries) and dry.

I will try to get some photos up of the loading, which happens today. Hope it all works, the truck comes tomorrow.

Excitement and trepidation.? Have had both for some months now. I have to admit I am not as prepared (physical training) as I would have liked and have not had the time in the boat I wanted but thats life for the unsponsored/self funded sailor. I will march to my own drummer and set sail from Punta Arenas when ready, not an ounce of slapdash in my bones. Boat arrives in Punta Arenas on Dec 15th. Thinking I may set sail south on Dec 26th after experiencing my 2nd Christmas in Chile. I travel on Dec 3rd to do provision purchasing in Chile, film crew comes in a few days later.

More than anything what I need to be truly ready is hours on hours rowing, test sailing and reefing etc, all doable in Chile.

Thank you for your interest.

Excellent. Had to join Duck Works FB page to see those great photos, im not one for extended media, but have to go with the flow of changing times. Im wondering how your water ballast ratio is decreasing as you load up, but due to her shape, looks to remain bouyant. Look forward to further testing down South. Thanks for sharing here too!

Congrats Howard!

a capable little short ship.
    Any interior shots of gear stowage and sleeping accomodations under the tents? how did the little stove and stack work? must have been a welcome bit o warmth in the damp dank PNW.

Well thought out self-sustaining adventure of the first order.

G'luck

Howard,

Thanks for checking in with us on WoodenBoat forum. There's a whole bunch of us folks pulling for you and wishing you the very best on your great adventure. Southern Cross is looking fantastic! Well, I've already got in trouble this week for slapping John Harris on the back for his excellent recent work on his nanocruisers. Somehow it irritates some folks when you congratulate other folks for a job well done. Anyway, at the risk of more back slapping accusations, I think you've done a heck of a job getting Southern Cross ready. I especially like that low profile tent. That sucker is sure gonna come in handy.

Keep those cameras working. We want to see where you've been. My worst failure at the Texas 200 was losing my camera. I know you have backups so you should be alright there.

What's the best link for keeping track of your voyage?

All the best,
    Ken

p.s. Don't forget the ducktape!

Well done!!! Many of us are pulling for you.

Really looking forward from afar to your adventure! -- Wade

This is a fantastic trip. Best of luck!
    -Dave

Looks really good Howard. Probably your speed to windward is due to the boat being a little stiffer with the load. I'll be with you in spirit at least, and I don't complain about the food or take up much space.
    Good luck!!!

Buon viaggio, Howard. Keep us posted.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    I'll be with you in spirit at least, and I don't complain about the food or take up much space.
    Good luck!!!
    I'll be with you in spirit too. I also guarantee good weather and downwind sailing. Stay within the boundaries of the boat.

Yammerschooner

Film maker Dave Nichols shot this in Port Townsend a couple of weeks ago. I know some folks here are interested in the rig I have built and other elements of the boat so here is a chance to see Southern Cross sailing. So far the proof of concept stage of testing is thumbs up, she performs well for all of her short little waterline. My experience aboard haste believing the boat will be able to handle a wide range of conditions if I am up to the task.
    SCAMP's are interesting little boats and unique from a number pf perspectives. I chose the boat for a variety of reasons, one of which is actually the pram bow. I do prefer a sexy pointed bow in general but in this case the pram works well and I am all about form/function.
    https://youtu.be/DVIfiwAFiuo
    Last edited by Howard Rice; 11-15-2016 at 03:56 AM.

Looking fantastic Howard! All the best!!

Rick

Fair winds Howard. Go well and enjoy it. Looking forward to following along from here.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rice View Post
    Film maker Dave Nichols shot this in Port Townsend a couple of weeks ago. I know some folks here are interested in the rig I have built and other elements of the boat so here is a chance to see Southern Cross sailing. So far the proof of concept stage of testing is thumbs up, she performs well for all of her short little waterline. My experience aboard haste believing the boat will be able to handle a wide range of conditions if I am up to the task.
    SCAMP's are interesting little boats and unique from a number pf perspectives. I chose the boat for a variety of reasons, one of which is actually the pram bow. I do prefer a sexy pointed bow in general but in this case the pram works well and I am all about form/function.
    https://youtu.be/DVIfiwAFiuo
    nice video I'm hoping your going to be wearing a teather/saftey line while sailing... especially Hiking out?! cant wait to see the images and hear the stories start to come back.

Howard,
    Man. Have a marvelous time. Gosh, I truly do envy you this marvelous journey. Maybe not the Herculean amount of work it's taken...

In no way do I want to sound trite, or demeaning, but your Southern Cross is just adorable. Just so many little things to appreciate in the mods and prep work for this spectacular trip. Somehow your little ship looks larger, more robust, and more serious than a plain Jane SCAMP, which is as it should be, I suppose.
    Either way, I appreciate all the thought and experience and effort that has gone into this trip. Just in the boat alone!

You do have carpet tacks, right?

Wishing you all the best, and anxious to read the account, later, in full, in some neat little book you wrote about the whole trip.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Howard,
    Man. Have a marvelous time. Gosh, I truly do envy you this marvelous journey. Maybe not the Herculean amount of work it's taken...

In no way do I want to sound trite, or demeaning, but your Southern Cross is just adorable. Just so many little things to appreciate in the mods and prep work for this spectacular trip. Somehow your little ship looks larger, more robust, and more serious than a plain Jane SCAMP, which is as it should be, I suppose.
    Either way, I appreciate all the thought and experience and effort that has gone into this trip. Just in the boat alone!

You do have carpet tacks, right?

Wishing you all the best, and anxious to read the account, later, in full, in some neat little book you wrote about the whole trip.

Peace,
    Robert
    I dont think he'll need carpet tacks but he will have a woodstove on board, that is after all, Tierra del Fuego, the land of fires.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

A few additional photos of my boat, which shipped out today. She is on her way to the Strait of Magellan all 11' 11" strapping feet of her;-)

The photo below is of the dry floor concept I have developed for the boat, one in a long line of similar floors I have utilized in my sailing canoes and other micro cruisers. I have used a number of floors through the years and this one is the best to date. Having it allows me to set up my tent in the rain or with a wet cockpit and have a dry floor to sleep on. Very nice material, thin, tough and waterproof.
    [IMG][

My pal Simeon Baldwin helping me fit the new dry floor for the first time. I am carrying two of these so I always have a chance at a dry floor given days of inclement weather. Should both floors become really wet I have a tried and true solution for that too. The wood stove should really help dry out the boat and me.
    [IMG][
    A chilly wet morning after a night aboard. I was warm and dry in spite of driving rain. This is my high wind tent low profile no bow tent, worked great.
    [IMG]

Full dress at the dock
    [IMG][

A close up of the genoa and staysail or spitfire jib deployment, retrieval, hoist and strike system, all done from the cockpit. Both the spitfire jib (staysail) and the genoa have their own furler, which also deploys when the sails are run forward. Starboard captive chock is for the forward deployed anchor and the port captive chock is part of the sea anchor set up (not rigged in this photo).
    [IMG]

Southern Cross as a defecto tiny trailer. On the road trip to Port Townsend I drove through Idaho and spent a few nights high up in the mountains. This photo is the morning after a night by the Salmon up in the Sawtooth range. It got down to 22F and a good test of not the low profile tent but the road cover tent. Worked great. I spent several nights aboard while traveling. This photo was taken one very crisp cold morning.
    [/IMG]
    Last edited by Howard Rice; 11-15-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    Looking good Howard!

***It was all that and much more. I didn't really want a rain test as much as high winds.

***Yes. I sailed her with I am guessing a 70% payload, food and water were not on board. The more I load her the more stable and predictable she becomes.

***Yes. I am excited as today the boat shipped to Chile, game on. Trepidation, yes. But no worries on the other hand. I have chosen to fund this out of pocket (w/o sponsorships) and so I am not beholding to anyone and put in a corner of having to do something that is unreasonable or unsafe. The voyage is simple, I am pointing south from Punta Arenas and anything from there is a success in my mind. The really tough piece of the voyage is the first 1/4, I am not at all sure I can get out to the Southern Ocean through what is known as the Milky Way, a place that has defeated more than one sailor. We'll see.

Good luck!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Well done!!! Many of us are pulling for you.

Thank you Wade!
    Quote Originally Posted by wtarzia View Post
    Really looking forward from afar to your adventure! -- Wade

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    I dont think he'll need carpet tacks but he will have a woodstove on board, that is after all, Tierra del Fuego, the land of fires.

John Welsford
    Oh, that was always one of my favorite parts about Slocum's book, the carpet tacks on the deck at night. Same neck of the woods, and all.

That dry floor deal is slick. When I sleep under a tent in an open boat, I always use a simple soft hammock stored in a,dry bag and slung between two hard points, so I always have a dryinsh place to sleep, that's at least out of the bilge with all the foot water, apple cores, and rain or spray.

I really enjoy all the pictures. Please post more, if you can during trials and before launch.

Peace,
    Robert

Thanks Dave
    I hope for a good experience. I am not sure this is a "fantastic trip" as it doesn't have the cache of an ocean crossing. I reckon it doesn't count for much other than as I see it, a complex set of daily problems in need of solving, some of the problems are simply dangerous and must be approached with a solid strategy in place. In my mind sailing through Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego out into the Southern Ocean is in many or most respects far more challenging and absolutely far more dangerous than an ocean crossing. I am treating this voyage much like a high mountain climb with approach, ascent and the critical descent, where most mountaineers get into trouble. This is going to be interesting. I plan to sail conservatively and with great patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    This is a fantastic trip. Best of luck!

Yes she is stiff loaded and felt just as I expected, very little quick movement, solid.
    Thanks for your interest. I hope to report back that I had the most boring, light air voyage possible..........eerr right.
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    Looks really good Howard. Probably your speed to windward is due to the boat being a little stiffer with the load. I'll be with you in spirit at least, and I don't complain about the food or take up much space.
    Good luck!!!

Nice, perfect quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Buon viaggio, Howard. Keep us posted.

The last piece of your post is exactly where I am at. Well put!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    I'll be with you in spirit too. I also guarantee good weather and downwind sailing. Stay within the boundaries of the boat.

Yammerschooner

Daniel
    Thanks
    Sorry to say I haven't shot many of down below but will once in Chile. I think John Welsford and another person may be keeping folks up to date with photo and report posts from Chile before I set sail.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Congrats Howard!

Any interior shots of gear stowage and sleeping accomodations under the tents? how did the little stove and stack work? must have been a welcome bit o warmth in the damp dank PNW.

Yep she is short
    I didnt test the stove during sea trials. I have tested the stove and have a few wrinkles to sort out in Chile. I can report from previous tests that it makes for one toasty open boat set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Congrats Howard!

Thanks Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Looking fantastic Howard! All the best!!

Rick

We all watch in mild amazement Howard! All the very best in all your ventures, this one particularly.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Hey Peter.
    Thanks. Today was a big day, the boat departed Miami aboard ship. What a process to get to this stage I need some sleep................Perhaps a word of advice............instead of watching with mild amazement perhaps watch with mild humor at the nut case going south in an 11' 11" boat!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    We all watch in mild amazement Howard! All the very best in all your ventures, this one particularly.

Looking really good Howard!

I am half in awe, half in envy of your trip. Makes our 300 mile jaunt up the coast of Vancouver Island this summer look like a day outing.

All the best.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman