Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 31213

Thread: Designs for old codgers

Default Re: Designs for old codgers

Just copy and paste

Thank you!

#380 to #397 are suggesting seats which are more comfortable than those you can buy off the shelf. Some innovative ideas and very good background literature were presented. I promised to give it a go, and have to report results now.

I made a working prototype and tested it. Yes it is woth the bother, and works as expected. Well you can't paddle better with that seat, but the secret is you can do it longer, much longer. However, the hinge mechanism is crap and will be replaced with another mechanism.

A small video is demonstrating what it does for me: https://www.bootsbaugarage.ch/img/HU...TON Vienna.mp4

Pictures:

Cheers! Axel

Great work Axel!
    Bummer I can't just pop over and try one out. I am thrilled you like the feel of the backrest from the LFH style seat. I have found it suports my back very nicely without restriction. I am looking forward to your updated hinge.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

^ I might want something like that in my Chataqua, though i hope to be sailing it more than using a paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by canoe_sailor View Post
    #380 to #397 are suggesting seats which are more comfortable than those you can buy off the shelf. Some innovative ideas and very good background literature were presented. I promised to give it a go, and have to report results now.

I made a working prototype and tested it. Yes it is woth the bother, and works as expected. Well you can't paddle better with that seat, but the secret is you can do it longer, much longer. However, the hinge mechanism is crap and will be replaced with another mechanism.

A small video is demonstrating what it does for me: https://www.bootsbaugarage.ch/img/HU...TON Vienna.mp4

Pictures:
    Cheers! Axel

Wow, now that is nice.
    I have gone on a different tack. For my 12' x 30" double paddle I have taken a standard SOT seat and worked on improving it. Firstly I have made a lumber support pad, I used ergonomic data to produce a contoured support from multiple layers of camping mat. That has improved the back comfort considerably. I am still finding the seat numbs my bum and have now used couple of kneeling mats and more camping mat to create a cushion. By sitting on tin foil I have precisely found the position of my sitting bones and drilled holes in the kneeling mats. I haven't tested this yet so will report back.

Spend on these modifications 8 including carpet and double sided tape.

Hope this makes sense

Foil to find sitting bones

Sitting bones holes in hard kneeling mat

Two coverings of camping mat

Lumbar support

CAD for lumbar support

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris Noto: I'll be sixty-seven years old in October, and just this spring acquired the second member of my fleet, a Sea Pearl 21.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    you might consider a thread related to self rescue mods that wooden boat building skills could be utilized to accomplish. a forum member in excellent physical condition has found the SP impossible to self rescue (an issue with many designs) in stock, as manufactured condition.
    Thanks, Daniel, for offering that information. I think I may already have been put in touch with the person who recently had the capsize experience you mentioned. We are in the early stages of discussing the options available to mitigate that issue. I have, though, sent you a PM, so that, if the person is one I don't know of already, you might, with their permission, of course, introduce us.

I had come across other mentions of this characteristic of the boat, but not until after my purchase. I'd been pretty serious about "due diligence," but there are not that many mentions or discussions of Sea Pearl capsizes or the attendant difficulty, no, near impossibility, of righting the boat without assistance. I found one mention of a Sea Pearl capsize at the Water Tribe Forum, in a discussion of a recent running of the Everglades Challenge, and found others after I discovered The Sea Pearl Mailing List, now a Yahoo Group.

Having invested many hours in research, driving two thousand miles to examine and purchase the boat, and having invested thousands of dollars in that purchase, it is upsetting, to say the least, and even something like disheartening, to come to a clearer assessment of the vessel's capabilities and liabilities only now. To some extent, some similar post-purchase experience is inevitable. It's like getting married, and I say that as a person who has been married for forty-five years. You can't really know what it's like, as much as others try to tell you, until you do it. (Man, I sure wish that emoji wasn't blue!)

I like your idea of starting a thread here at WBF, maybe something like "Small Boat Capsize & Recovery: Boat Design and Modifications," though that may be a bit too wordy. I'd love to hear your thoughts, and those of others here!

All the best,
    Chris Noto

Gentlemen! (in the non-sexist sense, of course) - here is my "Old Codgers" duckpunt.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4uFLFrT-y0&sns=em

- if the link works?
    - see the second half of the short video

rgdz,
    frank