Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 122122

Thread: Edwardian Race Cars

Default Re: Edwardian Race Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    do note the shrunk fabric over wood body
    Dude, I drooled and zoomed in for about 20 minutes before I could even react.

You literally found THE car I've been emulating in my head.

What is this? Are there full car shots?

Dang. You guys have fully ruined me. I just love these old cars like I never loved any type of cars. Or cars in general.
    My automobile indifference is fading.

Peace,
    Robert

PS Car work has slowed to a crawl. Time is short. I have been working, actually, and I have another job coming up, and I'm tying to finish (literally. Paint and whatnot) my boat, and its softball and baseball. Argh.
    I'm working on the body and the steering wheel.
    Nothing tangible to show, but the baby steps are adding up.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Yes, yes, and YES!

Peace,
    Robert

I'd be a bit nervous about that long guard less chain.
    But I love the two cockpit style!

The car has taken a serious back seat to the boat due to the weather turn. Warm enough to paint, glue, and gloop with abandon.
    Almost all my time lately has been fiddly fitting of the stringers, still, and laying out the joinery for the new frame pieces. Drawings to follow.

A question for you all.

I wonder if the steering wheel can be simply laminated up from wood, I'm thinking with two layers and staggered joints, and the spokes simply riveted and glued into slots in the wheel and bolted/riveted to the hub?

Something this small probably shouldn't need a metal rim, too, eh?

Peace,
    Robert

I have been laminating carriage wheel rims and I was surprised at how strong they are. Not sure about the steering wheel spokes (3?) though, and their attachment to the hub. But modern epoxies should be adequate for the job.

There are several youtube sources, building a wooden steering wheel

bump.......

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    bump.......
    Thanks, Yo!
    I am actually off on a bit of a road trip. I'm out hunting for some keyed shafting and some wildflower pictures. Should I actually find the 15mm shaft when I arrive (they all always have it when you call), I will work on the CTT later.

The frame has changed a bit, and I need to figure out the re-route of the connector cords after the freewheels. I have firmly decided to use a multi speed freewheel on the tranny output, so there will be 8 forward speeds.

This means I think the shifter will be a repurposed thumbshifter with a swanky handle attached, and will,stick out through the body. The clutch lever will move to inside the cockpit, now. I'm not sure where, but probably on the left side just ahead of and under the seat.

Peace,
    Robert

More inspiration Rob..... an early Darmont.

Grateful Dead

and another one, a homebuild.
    Grateful Dead

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Cyclecart is on the agenda, for sure.

I hope to get some play time soon. I need to work on the car! Too much work and boat, right now...

Well. I have been making progress on the original body butt, which will become the cyclecart butt. I sand and fill it when I get a spare minute in the shed. One side is nearly right. Then I can try and copy it.

I'm still thinking to just have spokes and hub of the steering wheel be metal, and just riveting and glueing the spokes into little slots. Or maybe going to tubular spokes, and using two per arm. Shoot. I'll sketch up what I mean later.

Peace,
    Robert

Doh!

Since I plan to wrap the wheel, anyway, I'm going to try bending up a wheel from some light tubing, like conduit. It's not a half a wheel, so it should be easy peasy. Haha.

The experiments continue...

Peace,
    Robert

Okay. Experiments and thoughts have been happening, but zero progress. Frankly, the car took a backseat to the boat once epoxy and paint weather returned, and spring is notoriously slim on time for me.

But. I figured out the front end framing once and for all. And the rest of the framing. I have a couple of new pieces to cut, and some to remove, but I think the frame will be lighter and stronger.

The new frame beam will be longitudinal and will double as the drive cord tunnel...
    And no pan, now.

I have learned how NOT to make a steering wheel 6 times, so I'm getting good.
    My latest brainstorm is to use spokes for the front grille. I will fill the grille holes with spokes tensioned on combs screwed on top and bottom.

I have scratchy sketches of these ideas, but nothing that makes sense. I'll make up some nicer drawings to post for critique.

I am also exploring a simplified "transmission" and "clutch" made from a modified mountain bike hub... That is top secret (really), but if it works, I will post pictures.

Peace,
    Robert

Come to think of it, a grille that gives plenty of ventilation to the peddler's body would be a very good idea.

Yes, I started to think about the heat factor rather early.

Some of the ideas I've had have been abandoned. Some have been changed.

This has been a fun, frustrating project fairly analogous to my life. Fairly unique, somewhat interesting, and mostly pointless.

Peace,
    Robert

Just to keep this thread on the first page .....

and a 1924 Sima Violet.

Grateful Dead

Oh, thank you, Peter. I was actually preparing another drawing dump, but life keeps lifing me.

The new front end frame has been figured, and just needs making. I think the whole shebang will be stiffer and lighter.

I have also been working on a new CTT and clutch with my buddy. He manufactures bicycle hubs, and we are trying to figure out some simple modifications we can make to one to use it as an all-in-one clutch and tranny. It may end up a dead end, but it's been fun trying to figure it out.

Also, the steering wheel remains to be made. I'm still vacillating on the rim construction.

Peace,
    Robert

This is my favorite transmission & clutch , a friction drive. Snow blowers have them. If you move the disc on the square shaft left or right you have forward and reverse, moving them in and out of contact is the clutch.

Grateful Dead

Peter,
    I really believe the transmission, as it were, I developed, ahem, is the most efficient way to transmit the power. The twin chains over cogwheels provide efficient, and positive, power transfer with minimal loss. Connecting the chains one to another allows the pedal cranks to act on one another, helping to eliminate the "dead spot" at the extreme ends of the linear drive motion.
    The only downfall of the system is the need to disengage the drive to roll the car backward. A coaster brake hub linked into the drive chain will allow free rolling, but adds friction and loss.
    The dog clutch I made works a treat, but adds another set of parts, and complicates the whole, a bit.

The basic idea I'm pursuing is to have the two freewheels and dog-type clutch be part of the same mechanism. I'd like to eliminate any extra shafts and chains, because the car will already have a jackshaft to drive the final, outer, drive gears and chains. The final drive jackshaft will have ten selectable gears on it, now. Why not?

If I can reduce the transmission to two shafts from three, I will be happy. If not, well, I still have my clutch to use.

I've had some time to work on the drawings. The new frame is 100% better. I'm glad I didn't do any permanent assembly, yet.

Peace,
    Robert

What I like about the one above Rob is the instant forward, reverse and variable speed and when the disc edge is separated from the plate the drive is free, disconnected.
    Grateful Dead

So. This weekend has been tied up with softball, so I haven't had a chance to meddle with much.

Look what I found in my mailbox. This is one of a matched set, to go on either end of my axle beam. I will mount the wheels later, and get them clamped onto the beam.

I am probably the luckiest person who ever lived!

Peace,
    Robert

Thought about you yesterday Rob. At the dump a whole chassis, drive and blown motor of a small wheel ATV, with a reverse gear.
    Basic chain and dog drive. Bit far to send it to you though.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Thought about you yesterday Rob. At the dump a whole chassis, drive and blown motor of a small wheel ATV, with a reverse gear.
    Basic chain and dog drive. Bit far to send it to you though.
    Of course. At least I know my luck holds up down there. Hehe. I do appreciate the thoughts. I hope to be able to repay you all for your kindness and patience by actually showing some progress.
    Here is a temporary dummy axle blank thrown together to make measurements and modifications. Obviously I made the ends a bit short, but I'll just glue on block to fill it out.

This beam will be the template for cutting the real wood to final shape. The real beam is all glued up oversized, waiting to be cut out.

Anywho, this picture shows the intersection of the kingpin and wheel at the road. I think I got them lined up pretty good. The axle will have little slight bevels where it sits on the springs, to give the slightest bit of caster.

Now I need to figure out the steering arm length. Which depends on the steering system, to a certain extent. I also need to figure out the turning angles I need/hope to achieve, and how long and what shape the steering arms need to be to accommodate that.
    Lots of real sophisticated nose picking will be going into this stage of the project. The jaw juts out, the brow furrows, the thinking finger goes to work, and the clouds of smoke belch forth. Or backth.

The white background is to provide visual clarity, as usual, but also to hide my drill press. That's really funny, I promise.

Peace,
    Emperor For Life (Of The Most Super Heated Domain Ever. I Do Believe I May Evanesce...)

Can you put a threaded adjustment in the steering arm Rob. Makes fine tuning easier.

Well.

I'm not sure what to do, but all the pictures I put on here are gone. I didn't pay enough, apparently.

I'm unsure whether to try and restore this one, or begin anew with a more aptly named thread? A synopsis of the project and a catch up on the progress thus far should do it, yeah?

The custom hub tranny deal is probably not going to happen, mostly because it doesn't really simplify anything. So, I will be rebuilding the forward framing and tranny crossmember, then I can get the front end bolted on temporarily and get the steering all sussed out.
    Here is a shameless plug for my buddy's company, though. I wanted to use a customized version of one of his hubs. Check out the P321 drive system (patent pending). I did when I was there. Blew my mind. Like the whipple guts laying about. I wish I were as smart and industrious as my old friend.

In case you all forgot, the latest update had me holding a pair of axle ends and spindles that just buckle the knees. And fit my wheels like a glove! These spindles were a gift from another talented friend. I am still in shock over them.

I sometimes wake up and feel so unworthy of the day before. How did I dumb into this good fortune?

Anyway. Thank you all for so much support. I have loved this project, and can't wait to finish.

Peace,
    Robert

Gosh, I think they're lovely. The photo with the ruler confirms my research and hypothesis, I think. The reason for so much positive camber on cars for a certain period was the dawning of the idea of steering geometry.
    The vertical kingpins and canted axles bring the pivot points of the tire and kingpin into line, to allow for "lighter" steering with "better feel".
    Of course, now we cant the kingpins AND the axles to get magical combinations of offset and onset. We? Haha. They. I don't do ANYTHING of consequence, as most of you are well aware.

The wheels and tires are going to look PERFECT for this non specific period type car.

Peace,
    Robert